PDA

View Full Version : Pass protection key for candidates to replace Broncos' McGahee

Denver Native (Carol)
11-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Fans remember the bursts into the open field and fighting for short yardage. But when Broncos coach John Fox mulls his options to replace injured starting running back Willis McGahee, blocking in pass protection becomes paramount.

That's especially the case this year with quarterback Peyton Manning being such a valuable commodity to protect. Regarding that responsibility, Broncos running backs must feel like guards at the Tower of London keeping watch over the Crown Jewels.

Pass protection is the "No. 1 priority," fourth-year running back Lance Ball said Monday. "That's the way we get things going here."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22030481/pass-protection-key-candidates-replace-broncos-mcgahee

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 12:32 PM
and ball is the best pass protecting RB we have. He made a huge block on the decker TD.

Chef Zambini
11-20-2012, 01:06 PM
I said this in pre-season when people were discussing the RB rotation. pass protection TOP priority ! reccognizing the bloitz and executing the block !
far more importatnt than running the ball and catching the ball.
think life stinks without mcgehee? I magine it without PFM !
BALL will probably get the most SNAPS, but hillman will get the most touches.
I would like to see a TE lined up in the backfield ! what a shame we dont have a FB !

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 01:45 PM
I said this in pre-season when people were discussing the RB rotation. pass protection TOP priority ! reccognizing the bloitz and executing the block !
far more importatnt than running the ball and catching the ball.
think life stinks without mcgehee? I magine it without PFM !
BALL will probably get the most SNAPS, but hillman will get the most touches.
I would like to see a TE lined up in the backfield ! what a shame we dont have a FB !

we do have a full back his name is Gronkowski

Chef Zambini
11-20-2012, 01:56 PM
we do have a full back his name is Gronkowskiyes I know, dont tell me, tell mccoy!
he seems to be oblivious.
or maybe our gronk is as dumb as a red brick and thats why he is not seeing the field on gameday.

Day1BroncoFan
11-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Where does that leave Moreno? :outincold:

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 01:59 PM
yes I know, dont tell me, tell mccoy!
he seems to be oblivious.
or maybe our gronk is as dumb as a red brick and thats why he is not seeing the field on gameday.

because Mcgahee is better, nuff said.

Chef Zambini
11-20-2012, 02:08 PM
because Mcgahee is better, nuff said.thats right, silly me.
I forgot that mcgehee played every single offensive down.
that expains why gronk hasnt been in a game since week2 !
nuff said indeed.
and since willy mac is going to continue to play every single offensive down,
it makes no sense to bring up gronk,
double ditto on the nuff said.

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 02:19 PM
thats right, silly me.
I forgot that mcgehee played every single offensive down.
that expains why gronk hasnt been in a game since week2 !
nuff said indeed.
and since willy mac is going to continue to play every single offensive down,
it makes no sense to bring up gronk,
double ditto on the nuff said.

did you not see lance ball block on the decker TD pass. or the carries by hillman and him blocking too. The other RBs can block and carry as well, maybe not as well. Bring in Gronk all he is going to do is block. Mcgahee can run and block well. he is best option in the back field because he does both well and can catch the ball.

iLands
11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
“Next week, it’ll be more than likely Knowshon instead of Willis,” Coach John Fox said on Monday. ”He’s looked, actually over the last couple of weeks, very good.”

bcbronc
11-20-2012, 04:41 PM
I would rather have Mcgahee healthy obviously but I am excited for Moreno. Hope he grabs this opportunity and runs with it and doesn't let it go until he's giving it to his coach on the sidelines.

MOtorboat
11-20-2012, 07:50 PM
“Next week, it’ll be more than likely Knowshon instead of Willis,” Coach John Fox said on Monday. ”He’s looked, actually over the last couple of weeks, very good.”

This has to be just blowing smoke, right?

Because if Fox thought Knowshon was good enough in practice to play ahead of Ball and Hillman, and yet he didn't play Moreno until McGahee got hurt, what exactly does that say? Because to me it screams stupidity.

Tned
11-20-2012, 07:55 PM
This has to be just blowing smoke, right?

Because if Fox thought Knowshon was good enough in practice to play ahead of Ball and Hillman, and yet he didn't play Moreno until McGahee got hurt, what exactly does that say? Because to me it screams stupidity.

On his weekly spot on Mile High Sports Pressbox this morning, Woodyard said that the last few weeks that Moreno has been giving the Broncos defense fits running on as the scout RB. He said Moreno was ready and was going to tear it up (paraphrasing, but that was essentially what he said).

MOtorboat
11-20-2012, 07:58 PM
On his weekly spot on Mile High Sports Pressbox this morning, Woodyard said that the last few weeks that Moreno has been giving the Broncos defense fits running on as the scout RB. He said Moreno was ready and was going to tear it up (paraphrasing, but that was essentially what he said).

Maybe keeping his legs fresh? I don't get it.

Because I've been underwhelmed by Hillman and Ball.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Maybe keeping his legs fresh? I don't get it.

Because I've been underwhelmed by Hillman and Ball.

Once again: Ball plays STs, Hillman is the "new toy" that they are going to use every chance they get to justify the draft pick. Moreno is the odd man out this year. This staff didn't draft Moreno, they have nothing invested in him, he's coming off an injury, and he had an off-season issue.

Frankly, I hope Moreno comes in and tears it up. It would be great if he could finally put it all together and be the guy we all wanted him to be when we drafted him. With his skill set, he should flourish in this offense.

Dean
11-20-2012, 08:21 PM
The key word by both Coach Fox and Woodyard was "the last few weeks. My interpretation is that prior to that time frame he was playing at a significantly lower level.

bcbronc
11-20-2012, 08:25 PM
By all accounts Moreno has handled not playing like a true professional. Haven't heard if he changed the "Sauced" plate to "Scratched" but I have a feeling he's going to change some opinions the next few weeks. Whether it's mine and MO's or everybody else's is TBD....:lol:

MOtorboat
11-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Once again: Ball plays STs, Hillman is the "new toy" that they are going to use every chance they get to justify the draft pick. Moreno is the odd man out this year. This staff didn't draft Moreno, they have nothing invested in him, he's coming off an injury, and he had an off-season issue.

Frankly, I hope Moreno comes in and tears it up. It would be great if he could finally put it all together and be the guy we all wanted him to be when we drafted him. With his skill set, he should flourish in this offense.

Denver isnt the Chiefs. They are in a playoff run. The best players need to be on the field. And if Moreno is tearing up the sixth-ranked defense in practice he needs to be on the field.

Chef Zambini
11-20-2012, 11:22 PM
moreno has balance issues. hit him below the knee and he drops like a bowling pin.
and he fails to recognize the blitz and leaves PFM unprotected.
BALL is the best protecter, thats why he will be in while moreno sits.

bcbronc
11-20-2012, 11:39 PM
The way I see the Moreno vs Ball situation...Moreno imo makes us a better OFFENSE but I can see why Fox would feel Ball makes us a better TEAM.

If Fox dresses Moreno, Hillman and McGahee that's 3 RBs that don't play special teams, and the 3rd back is still going to see a limited amount of snaps and touches. *shrugs* Hard to second guess the 2nd highest scoring offense in the league and a team that's won 5 in a row and 6 of its last 7.

gregbroncs
11-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Moreno now gets his final shot with this team. He was not active because he is not better than Mcgahee as a bulk carry rusher. He was not active over Hillman because he does not bring the change of pace like Hillman. He was not active over Ball because he does not play special teams.

I hope he shows that he can be a good RB and an every down back. Because I don't know if Hillman can be that guy.

Moreno is better than Ball. And probably better than Hillman right now. But his skills were not as needed with Mcgahee here. Now that he's not here we need his skills and it would not surprise me if he gets more carries than either of the other 2.