PDA

View Full Version : Baker making most of second chance

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Associated Press
Updated: August 10, 2009, 6:52 PM EDT
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - Defensive tackle Chris Baker's rehabilitation is off to a strong start in Denver, where he's mending not from an injury but a tarnished image.

Baker was kicked off the Penn State team last summer for his role in two off-field fights, so he went to Hampton for a season and then joined the Broncos this summer as an undrafted free agent.

The 329-pound nose tackle quickly impressed the coaching staff with his ability to stuff the run and push the pile.

"Chris has shown the ability to knock people back," coach Josh McDaniels said, breaking from his usual cautious script to lavish high praise on a rookie. "Chris has done some good things in this camp."

Baker also has made some fast friends, when he faked a fair catch on a punt that bounced inside the 10-yard line and out of the end zone. With that, the beefy lineman earned his teammates a night off from team meetings.

The gregarious Baker's plan is right on track: Baker wants to show everyone not only what kind of player he can be, but what kind of person he is.

"That's the one thing that I really want to do, I want to change my image," Baker said. "Because if you Google my name, you'll see stuff about me getting in fights and getting arrested. But I'm not a thug. I'm none of that."

Baker and fellow defensive tackle Phil Taylor were kicked off the Nittany Lions by coach Joe Paterno after a critical "Outside the Lines" report on the Penn State program last year.

Baker had already pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges stemming from a fight at an off-campus apartment and a fight at a campus student union, both in 2007. He had been cleared by a university judicial affairs panel of wrongdoing in the latter fight and allowed to return to practice after sitting out the spring when he was dismissed from the team.

"It was definitely a surprise because everything had happened a year before, we were already suspended for a game, we missed the whole spring. So I thought that was the punishment we were going to get," Baker said. "I got back on the team in the summer and I did everything the coaches asked me to do. I made good grades on my summer school classes. I didn't get in any more trouble and then this 'Outside the Lines' story came out, they released me from the team three days later."

Baker said he never really had the opportunity to defend himself because he had accepted a plea before going to trial. He was sentenced to two years probation in May 2008 for his role in the two separate fights. He also was ordered to pay about $2,500 in restitution covering both cases. All other charges, including felony counts in both cases, were dismissed.

"I never got a chance to tell my side of the story, but I don't really care about anything that happened in the past. I'm just trying to move on," Baker said.

Baker didn't want to transfer to another big program where he'd have to sit out a season, so he went to Hampton, where he had 69 tackles, including 16 1/2 for loss and 8 1/2 sacks as a junior.

Against Hampton coach Jerry Holmes' advice, Baker declared for the NFL draft, and when nobody called his name, he signed with the Broncos.

"Denver didn't draft any interior linemen, so I just thought it was the best chance for me," said Baker, who was listed as the backup to free agent Ronnie Fields on the first depth chart released Monday.

Even though his college experience didn't go as planned, Baker said he'll always be a Nittany Lion in his heart, defending Paterno's program against the constant ribbing from fellow Big 10 defensive linemen Kenny Peterson (Ohio State), Matthias Askew (Michigan State) and Darrell Reid (Minnesota).

"I'm always going to love Penn State, but I'm also going to love Hampton because they gave me a second chance," Baker said.

"And now I have a chance to show everybody the kind of player and the kind of person I am. I'm not what people portray me as: a thug or a crazy guy that goes around fighting innocent people. I'm a nice guy. I'm a football player, I'm not a thug."

NOTES: RT Ryan Harris injured his right arm at Monday's practice. ... The workout was held at Invesco Field so the players and coaches could get accustomed to game-day logistics. Unlike last week, when fans were on hand and booed QB Kyle Orton's poor play, this practice was closed to the public.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9919224/Baker-making-most-of-second-chance

SoCalImport
08-11-2009, 06:15 AM
Not gonna get too excited. I'm not, I'm not, I'm not.

BUT! Ohh baby! If Baker can turn into that double/triple team draw that we NEED at NT. This defensive re-vamp just jumped way ahead of schedule.

We'll see. Fingers crossed.

broncofaninfla
08-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Baker has a HUGE upside, hopefully this kid can contribute soon.

WARHORSE
08-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Baker had impressive workout numbers at the combine.

Ran a 5.12 in the 40. Faster than Raji 5.23, Fili Moala 5.18 and Ron Brace 5.5.

Weak point was probably the bench at 24 reps....which is no slouch but not by any means dominant. That doesnt account for leg strength though.

His broad jump was 8'10 inches which is amazing for a man his size. That was better than Ayers, Raji, Moala, Tyson Jackson and Brace.

Same 20 yd shuttle as Ayers (5.1) at a much higher weight (amazing 55 lbs heavier)........better than Raji, Jackson, Hood, Moala, Brace, Everette Brown, Evander Hood.........this guy ate it up.

His vertical was an amazing 35.5 inches.
This guy weighs 329 lbs!:listen:
The only Dlinemen that bettered that were:

Barwin, Connor (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/connor-barwin?id=71197)40.5
Orakpo, Brian (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brian-orakpo?id=71423)39.5
Johnson, Michael (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/michael-johnson?id=71351)38.5
Maybin, Aaron (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aaron-maybin?id=80433)38.0
Walker, Derek (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/derek-walker?id=71509)37.5
Brown, Cody (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cody-brown?id=80632)36.5
Miller, Roy (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/roy-miller?id=79611)36.0
English, Larry (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/larry-english?id=80423)36.0

:salute::salute::salute:

Baker could be a real steal Broncos faithful...............

OldschoolFreak
08-11-2009, 10:46 AM
This is definately the most intriguing sleeper possibility on this team.

I don't want to judge too quickly but I've never been too high on Fields. I'd love to see Chris emerge as the dominant force sooner rather than later.

CoachChaz
08-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Baker had impressive workout numbers at the combine.

Ran a 5.12 in the 40. Faster than Raji 5.23, Fili Moala 5.18 and Ron Brace 5.5.

Weak point was probably the bench at 24 reps....which is no slouch but not by any means dominant. That doesnt account for leg strength though.

His broad jump was 8'10 inches which is amazing for a man his size. That was better than Ayers, Raji, Moala, Tyson Jackson and Brace.

Same 20 yd shuttle as Ayers (5.1) at a much higher weight (amazing 55 lbs heavier)........better than Raji, Jackson, Hood, Moala, Brace, Everette Brown, Evander Hood.........this guy ate it up.

His vertical was an amazing 35.5 inches.
This guy weighs 329 lbs!:listen:
The only Dlinemen that bettered that were:

Barwin, Connor (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/connor-barwin?id=71197)40.5
Orakpo, Brian (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brian-orakpo?id=71423)39.5
Johnson, Michael (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/michael-johnson?id=71351)38.5
Maybin, Aaron (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aaron-maybin?id=80433)38.0
Walker, Derek (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/derek-walker?id=71509)37.5
Brown, Cody (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cody-brown?id=80632)36.5
Miller, Roy (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/roy-miller?id=79611)36.0
English, Larry (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/larry-english?id=80423)36.0

:salute::salute::salute:

Baker could be a real steal Broncos faithful...............

3 reasons he fell

1. Legal trouble
2. Played at Hampton
3. Coach advised him to stay in school another year instead of promoting him to scouts

OldschoolFreak
08-11-2009, 12:05 PM
So where would he have projected? Anyone remember any buzz on this kid when he was at Penn State, pre-legal trouble?

Were people talking about him in the All-American conversations? Anyone remember any draft projections?

underrated29
08-11-2009, 12:27 PM
I REMEMber hearing that baker was a 2nd rd talent. Kinda like marcus thomas was a 1st rd talent but fell due to legal issues or whatever.

silkamilkamonico
08-11-2009, 12:40 PM
He came into Penn State as a 2 star prospect and I don't think he really played much at all. Not even sure what kind of year he had at Hampton.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Redshirt in 2005, back-up in 2006, solid year as a starter in 2007. Dismissed for being a da-da-dummy, tore up the MEAC. Contrary to popular belief, he played end in Hampton's 3-4 and not NT. However, it seems like he's playing NT here, unless he's seeing time at end as well. I haven't seen much reported on his position standing on the team, but I believe was #2 (NT) on the depth chart. Wasn't a highly touted high school prospect, but was garnering quality attention before he went stupid with the N-Lions.

broncofaninfla
08-11-2009, 01:03 PM
He seesm like a decent kid in the interviews I've seen him in. Hopefully he has grown up and will take advanatge of this opportunity.

OldschoolFreak
08-11-2009, 01:12 PM
God I would love for him to be a diamond in the rough. Seriously, even if he was just a solid starting contributor without ever having gaudy stats but ended up being a cog on the line for the next five years. Talk about icing on the cake.

Sorry, I know I'm getting ahead of myself here...I just feel like there's a lot of potential with this kid.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Oldschool, you have a right to be excited. His measurables are intriguing and he played very well the past two years at school, especially his last year at Hampton where he had extensive experience in a 3-4 defense. He has schematic versatility, and by the sounds of it (interviews, articles) he seems to have straightened his life around and realized that it's a privelege to play in the NFL and that he's extremely thankful for the opportunity he has. Despite his past troubles, I thought he was actually going to get drafted -- perhaps as early as round three for a team who was in need of a player like him. (Kansas City, Green Bay, Denver, etc. -- all the teams transitioning or currently in a 3-4.)

The hardest thing for Baker will be the intricacies of playing DL at the pro level. Getting off the snap better, being active with your hands and just getting in the correct position to make a play. Technique is the biggie. Out of Baker, Davis and E. Pedescleaux -- I think we'll be able to get one starter or contributor from that undrafted wrap-up. Here's to hoping Marcus Thomas and Carlton Powell can get some playing time as well. It'd definitely help!

honz
08-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I see Baker in the HOF 15 years from now.

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Chris Baker (DL)
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 326
College: Hampton
Conference: MEAC
Hometown: Windsor, CT
High School: Windsor
View Combine Page >>

Combine Results:
40 Yard Dash : 5.12 seconds
Bench Press : 24.0 reps
Vertical Jump : 35.5 inches
Broad Jump : 106.0 inches
3 Cone Drill : 7.56 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle : 4.51 seconds

Choose Defensive Linemen Barwin, Connor Brown, Everette English, Larry Gilbert, Jarron Hood, Evander Jackson, Tyson Jerry, Peria Kruger, Paul Maybin, Aaron Orakpo, Brian Raji, B.J. Overview
Baker struggled with off-field incidents at Penn State. He was suspended from the team at the end of the 2007 season and finally dismissed from the Nittany Lions in July 2008 after pleading guilty to two counts of misdemeanor assault and criminal trespass following two fights in 2007. He received two years of probation. Baker showed versatility playing at defensive end in a 3-4 after starting the year at nose tackle for Hampton. He earned first-team All-MEAC honors with 62 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks. Baker and his family decided it was time to leave the Pirates after his redshirt junior season, but character concerns follow him into the NFL.

High School
Baker emerged as one of Connecticut's top linemen as a senior at Windsor HS. Playing for Coach Mark Welch, he was a starter on offense and defense in his final two seasons. A noted athlete, Baker did not play football his sophomore year in order to concentrate on basketball, but returned to the gridiron for two more highly successful seasons. Baker recorded 80 tackles his senior season, with 10 tackles for losses, including seven sacks. He was a first-team all-state selection by the Hartford Courant and a first-team all-conference pick his last two years.

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Thursday, 19 February 2009 16:29
Why did you decide to enter the NFL Draft?
It was a hard decision. I talked it over with my parents and thought it was best if I left this year. I prayed about it and felt that leaving this year was best for me. I felt like I had a good chance to get drafted pretty high in the draft. I don’t think if I stayed at Hampton my draft stock could get much higher. I did so well this year and felt like it is my time to go to the NFL.

How is your training going?
I have been training hard for the last few months preparing for the NFL Combine. The workouts have been challenging but it is making me a lot faster and stronger – I am ready to impress the NFL teams with what I bring to the table.

Who is your agent/agency and what factors went into your decision?
Tony Paige at Perennial Sports & Entertainment . There were many factors that went into my decision. I needed someone who had experience in doing big contracts. I needed someone who could give me some personal attention. I didn’t want an agent who just does contracts and that’s it. I wanted an agent who I can call and talk about anything and a agent who can prepare me for life after football. I wanted an agent who has a lot of good relationships with the major decision makers in the NFL and outside of the NFL.

What is the highlight of your career?
The highlight of my career is overcoming all the adversity that I went through. Leaving Penn State and starting fresh at Hampton was very hard for me to deal with at first. I always wanted to play for Penn State and it all got taken away from me for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But, God had a plan for my life and I had to make the best of the situation. God led me to Hampton and I have done so well on the field and off the field. I wanted to prove to people that I am not the man that the media portrayed. The fact that I overcame my situation, had a great season and made good grades in school was the highlight of my career.

What position do you like playing the best?
I can’t really say that there is one position that I love the most. I have the strength and the body to play the 1 technique or 3 technique. I also have the quickness and the strength to play the 5 technique. I love playing football so wherever I end up - whether it is on the inside or the outside - I will adjust and do well.

What do you feel are your strengths as a player?
I feel that I am excellent at stopping the run – I take pride in it. If you stop the run, then you force the team to pass the ball and that’s when the game becomes fun. You can pin your ears back and get to the QB – I love pass rushing and disrupting plays. Also, I have a continuous motor and I play the game with incredible passion – I am truly blessed to have the opportunity to play on the next level.

Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Hartford, CT and Windsor, CT. I grew up playing basketball my whole life – I used my athleticism and size so it was fun. I tried football my junior year thanks to my best friend Terrance Knighton (DT) from Temple. I fell in love with football – it was especially rewarding because my college education was paid for because of my hard work on the field – that made my parents very proud.

Tell us about your family background and your role models.
I come from a great family - my mom and dad are great parents. They kept me in church when I was younger and showed me who God is and I’m thankful for that. My parents have been there for me my whole life through thick and thin. They have supported me and my siblings throughout our lives. It was hard raising two kids that played AAU basketball. They are the greatest.

One of my role models is my AAU basketball coach Dana Wright. He was a big inspiration in my life. He was one of the most successful African American males that has impacted my life. I stayed with him almost every weekend. His son Kyle Wright is one of my best friends. Coach Wright and his family taught me a lot about being a good man.

What do you like to do for fun?
I love to play my PS3. I play Madden 09, NBA 2k9, and NCAA 09. I’m pretty good at them all – I am willing to take on any challengers. I also love to listen to music – I enjoy all types of music.

What are your overall goals between now and Draft Day?
I just want to work hard to put myself in the best position on draft day. I have been pushing myself twice a day to become the best defensive lineman in the draft. I believe if the GM’s and scouts watch my film and find out the kind of person I am they will fall in love. I want to clear up all of the off the field issues and answer all the questions that many have about what actually happened while I was at PSU. I want to let America know the “Real Chris Baker.”

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
The Good: A versatile lineman who has experience as a three-technique in a 4-3 and a five technique in a 3-4. Displays a good first step off the ball and uses his length and hands well to keep linemen off his body. Has the burst and natural leverage to shoot gaps inside and get up field. Has a polished arsenal of pass-rush moves and is violent with his arm-over and rip. Exhibits a strong lower body and can control blockers at the point or bull rush to push the pocket.
The Bad: Has big character concerns after being kicked off the Penn State team in 2008. Made a lot of plays vs. lower-level competition and will need to adjust to NFL game. Takes too many plays off, and things seemed to come too easily for him at Hampton.

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 03:01 PM
lets hope he can get some good coaching and help to make an impact ..

If we get some solid backup play from him this year as a rotational guy then perhaps he did get a diamond in the rough..

Not all the great to good NT where afterall top 10 picks..

TXBRONC
08-11-2009, 03:28 PM
God I would love for him to be a diamond in the rough. Seriously, even if he was just a solid starting contributor without ever having gaudy stats but ended up being a cog on the line for the next five years. Talk about icing on the cake.

Sorry, I know I'm getting ahead of myself here...I just feel like there's a lot of potential with this kid.

If he's a super stud nose tackle he wont have gaudy stats.

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 04:33 PM
my favorite part of his interview...."What do you feel are your strengths as a player?
I feel that I am excellent at stopping the run – I take pride in it. If you stop the run, then you force the team to pass the ball and that’s when the game becomes fun.

stopping the run would be a nice addition to our defensive scheme !!!!:elefant:

G_Money
08-11-2009, 05:40 PM
As long as we can rotate him, I think he can be good for us. It's easier to tell a guy like him "play your ass off for a coupla plays, and then we'll swap you out" than it is to get them to play hard on "every" play.

I just want a NT rotation that works. Baker can be a handful. Powell I liked in college. Just give me some guys who can be an amalgam of a tough inside presence. Problem is, most rookies can't do it on the DL. Maybe if we mix-and-match as we go we can get a solid patch in there until one of the kids steps up.

DL really is the most critical part of our D this year, and the part we know next to nothing about. I'm really interested to see how Nolan makes that part functional so that all the money and draftpicks spent on the back 7 can actually be useful.

IMO, if he's gonna make it work then Baker has to be at least a one-dimensional stopper in a rotation for us.

Let's hope he can pull that off so Nolan's great work with LBs and his expensive and aggressive DBs can shine, and we can stand a chance in this and future years.

~G

TXBRONC
08-12-2009, 12:46 AM
As long as we can rotate him, I think he can be good for us. It's easier to tell a guy like him "play your ass off for a coupla plays, and then we'll swap you out" than it is to get them to play hard on "every" play.

I just want a NT rotation that works. Baker can be a handful. Powell I liked in college. Just give me some guys who can be an amalgam of a tough inside presence. Problem is, most rookies can't do it on the DL. Maybe if we mix-and-match as we go we can get a solid patch in there until one of the kids steps up.

DL really is the most critical part of our D this year, and the part we know next to nothing about. I'm really interested to see how Nolan makes that part functional so that all the money and draftpicks spent on the back 7 can actually be useful.

IMO, if he's gonna make it work then Baker has to be at least a one-dimensional stopper in a rotation for us.

Let's hope he can pull that off so Nolan's great work with LBs and his expensive and aggressive DBs can shine, and we can stand a chance in this and future years.

~G

If Baker and Fields are only rotational players I would think that eventually we'll have to find someone who can be that stud nose tackle?

WARHORSE
08-18-2009, 12:03 PM
my favorite part of his interview...."What do you feel are your strengths as a player?
I feel that I am excellent at stopping the run – I take pride in it. If you stop the run, then you force the team to pass the ball and that’s when the game becomes fun.

stopping the run would be a nice addition to our defensive scheme !!!!:elefant:

My favorite part of the interview:

The highlight of my career is overcoming all the adversity that I went through.