PDA

View Full Version : Building a Defense

Ziggy
11-19-2012, 05:31 PM
This defense has completely turned itself around this season. Some of the reasons why are obvious. Some are not. I thought we might take a look at all of the reasons this defense is beginning to dominate, and how it all came together.

1. Jack Del Rio is the real deal- It took a while for the personnel to catch on to this complicated system and trust each other, but now that everyone is buying in, it's beginning to come together. Players are staying with thier assignments, allowing Del Rio to run multiple fronts and personnel sets.
2. The Broncos have the best defensive player in the NFL- Von Miller is unstoppable. Not only does he lead the league in sacks, but he leads the league in TFL as well. He's dominating both phases of the game.
3. Getting Joe Mays off of the field- That's when the turn around began, and it's no coincidence. That wasn't the only reason, but it was a major one. Giving Mays garaunteed starter money and not going after one of the many legit MLB'ers that were available in free agency is probably Elway's biggest error yet as a GM.
4. The emergence of Chris Harris and Tony Carter- These kids can flat out cover. We knew from last season that Harris was a good nickel corner. This year he's proven that he's a good starter. Carter has picked up where Harris left off last season.
5. The Dline- While you don't hear much about these guys outside of Elvis and his 8 sacks, the big uglies are keeping the linebackers clean. This may be the biggest key to a Del Rio defense. Wolfe, Vickerson, Bannan, Unrein, Jackson, and Ayers have all done a great job of taking up space and keeping blockers occupied. Watching the LB'ers fly around the field only happens when they can stay clean. Wolfe's numbers may not be eye popping, but he's doing a phenomenal job as a rookie Dlineman. You won't hear a lot about these guys, but they are the #1 factor outside of Von to the success of this defense.
6. The emergence of Wesley Woodyard- As I just stated, he's staying clean which is allowing him to use his speed and athletic ability. He rarely has to scrape off blockers and he's taking advantage of it. He has a nose for the ball.
7. The safety play has improved by leaps and bounds this season- Mike Adams is a solid vet. He knows where to be and he gets there. He's not flashy, but he is solid and reliable, as is Jim Leonhard. Don't hear Rahim Moore's name being called much any more? That's because he's stopped making the mental errors that cost this team big plays last year. His tackling is much improved and the game seems to have finally slowed down for him.

With DJ back and working in the middle, this defense should get better. He brings two things to this defense. 1. More speed at the MLB position. 2. The ability for our linebackers to play against any offensive set in base D. With him and Woodyard on the field together, you have 2 guys that can cover backs and TE's over the middle. It's rare to have that in the NFL, but the teams that do normally have very good defenses. Chicago and San Fran come to mind. The place that this is really going to pay dividends is against teams that run a no huddle offense. I expect DJ to take a few weeks to get into game shape, but he should be a big addition.

Doom is on pace for for 13 sacks. That would be phenomenal if he wasn't on the same team as Von, who is on pace for 21. Together, they have helped the Broncos lead the league in sacks so far this season. Did anyone else read that? The Broncos are leading the league in sacks this season. This defense is fun to watch again. After years of frustration, this team has the coaching, talent, and scheme to become dominant on the defensive side of the ball. Elway has done a great job of filling in the gaps with productive vets and adding young talent. Here are some of the moves he's made on the defensive side of the ball since he's been GM:
1. Re-signed Champ, Vickerson, and Woodyard.
2. Signed Brookings, Adams, Porter, Leonhard, and Bannan from free agency.
3. Drafted Von, Wolfe, Moore, and Jackson.
4. Signed Harris and Carter as undrafted free agents.

There's not a big contract in that entire group outside of Champ, who is well worth what he's getting paid. My hat's off to Elway, Fox, Del Rio, and the entire organization. The Broncos have gone from having the worst defense in the NFL when Elway took over this team, to having a top 6 defense so far this season. They have a legitimate shot to be top 3 by the end of the year. He's done it without any desperation moves in free agency or the draft, and all the while building a superb offense as well. This is how championship teams are made.

BroncoJoe
11-19-2012, 05:34 PM
too wordy. didn't read.

Nice post though.

NightTerror218
11-19-2012, 05:40 PM
awesome to hear from ya Ziggy

ikillz0mbies
11-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Ziggy! I always love reading your posts. I think you're spot on with your analysis. What stands out to me are the players that keep the defense running when players have gone down to injury i.e. Carter/Harris w/ Tracy Porter, Ayers w/ Doom. The Broncos have solid depth on defense that has a great mix of veteran players (Adams, Brooking, Leonhard, Bailey, Bannan, Vickerson, Woodyard, Williams) with young players (Moore, Carter, Harris, Wolfe, Miller, Trevathan). I can't think of another defense that has type of depth. Not to mention that special teams is looking good as well with the signing of Trindon Holliday.

I love that Elway and co. didn't go out and spend millions on big-name players when he's drafting players and fit perfectly into the team perspective.

bcbronc
11-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Great post, but a few more hard returns would have made it less daunting to read. :lol:

imo the DL play is really the key, and it's gone a little bit under the radar. Von deserves all the fanfare he gets, as do Doom and Champ. But guys like Vickerson, Ayers, even Unrein are quietly having very good years. First time in a long time that we're holding our own in the trenches, and props for that go to Fox and Del Rio.

Davii
11-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Great post Ziggy. They are fun to watch again aren't they? I don't remember the last time I was this confident, this excited to see the other offense come out.

artie_dale
11-20-2012, 01:35 AM
I personally thought this years defense is a result of the potential last year's defense showed. It definitely came together this season, but last season there were MANY flashes of what was to come. Last year's defense is who I give the majority of the credit to for all those comeback wins. If it weren't for the defense, no way would the offense been able to capitalize off of one reception for a TD or a long scramble for a TD, to win games.

This defense is pretty much where I expected it to be, but I was one of the few who was actually giving it the credit it deserved last season. Mad kudos to Elway, Fox, and espeically Del Rio.

Canmore
11-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Great post Ziggy. They are fun to watch again aren't they? I don't remember the last time I was this confident, this excited to see the other offense come out.

This is what I think. Other offenses have to match up against our defense. When was the last time that happened?

Chef Zambini
11-20-2012, 03:08 AM
last yeaqr we had a corner , OPPOSITE CHAMP with a huge bulls-eye on both the front and back of his uniform! getting his ass off the field was the first step in improving this defense!
let me add that a change in our strength and conditioning program has aoparently improved the entire team too !
again anothewr key move by ELWAY !

Ziggy
11-20-2012, 07:44 AM
This is what I think. Other offenses have to match up against our defense. When was the last time that happened?

When we had a group of guys known as the Orange Crush.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-20-2012, 08:36 AM
JDR is the poop. I was a little worried after the first couple of weeks when the defense was giving up so many first-half points early on but they've righted the ship and our defense is back to being one to be FEARED. The crush is back!

Davii
11-20-2012, 11:41 AM
last yeaqr we had a corner , OPPOSITE CHAMP with a huge bulls-eye on both the front and back of his uniform! getting his ass off the field was the first step in improving this defense!
let me add that a change in our strength and conditioning program has aoparently improved the entire team too !
again anothewr key move by ELWAY !

Are you paying Champ's play at corner a compliment?

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 12:25 PM
IMO last year was a big help. The player learned a valuable lesson, NEVER GIVE UP. Our defense never gave up and it paid off last season and it paid off this season too. I do not know who to give credit to for that aspect of it but it was awesome to see the defense fighting tooth and nail last season to keep us in games. And now seeing that defense matured and players stepping up, it is just awesome to see.

Chef Zambini
11-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Are you paying Champ's play at corner a compliment?of course. he is a great corner, I never said otherwise. he is denvers best corner EVER !
but as a corner, he can just be avoided, essentially 10 on 10 football.
and when you have a cupcake on the other side of the field, wearing #21 its just an invitation to QBs as to where to throw the ball.

Rick
11-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Where is our "cupcake" this year? As of late ALL of our DBs have been lights out.

Chef Zambini
11-20-2012, 10:58 PM
JDR is the poop. I was a little worried after the first couple of weeks when the defense was giving up so many first-half points early on but they've righted the ship and our defense is back to being one to be FEARED. The crush is back!we made great second half adjustments ! honestly, when PORTER went out, our defense seemed to come together !
JDR, hope we can hang on to him!

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 11:28 PM
we made great second half adjustments ! honestly, when PORTER went out, our defense seemed to come together !
JDR, hope we can hang on to him!

You mean when mays was replaced in San diego

Simple Jaded
11-20-2012, 11:34 PM
IMO last year was a big help. The player learned a valuable lesson, NEVER GIVE UP. Our defense never gave up and it paid off last season and it paid off this season too. I do not know who to give credit to for that aspect of it but it was awesome to see the defense fighting tooth and nail last season to keep us in games. And now seeing that defense matured and players stepping up, it is just awesome to see.

What do you mean you don't know who to give credit to?

How bout giving the credit to the defense that "NEVER GIVES UP"?.......

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 11:56 PM
What do you mean you don't know who to give credit to?

How bout giving the credit to the defense that "NEVER GIVES UP"?.......

Nope. The was the end result. I will go with leadership

Simple Jaded
11-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Nope. The was the end result. I will go with leadership

You wish.......

Simple Jaded
11-21-2012, 12:09 AM
"Hey guys, love your Never-say-die attitude. I don't know where you got that attitude but I know two things; 1) I know it's awesome and 2) you had nothing to do with developing that attitude. Had to come from something, or SOMEONE, else".

:rolleyes:.......

NightTerror218
11-21-2012, 12:27 AM
I just go by what I hear

Simple Jaded
11-21-2012, 12:42 AM
I just go by what I hear

From whom? Skip Bayless?.......

NightTerror218
11-21-2012, 12:44 AM
From whom? Skip Bayless?.......

Players

Simple Jaded
11-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Players? Right. :rolleyes:

I know a dude who works the games and is in the lockerroom, dude says that so-called leader went from an invisible wallflower loner to weekly punching bag. That fairy tale you're living simply does not exist.......