PDA

View Full Version : D.J. Williams

MOtorboat
11-19-2012, 10:39 AM
D.J. Williams made a pretty good contribution yesterday, and I believe it was at middle linebacker, or at least the left linebacker position (Woodyard at right linebacker) in Denver's over formations that puts Miller at the line of scrimmage.

What did everyone else see? I didn't see Brooking much after the first series, but I'll go back and watch it again tonight (except when I misidentified Leonhard for Brooking in the game thread).

Here's the Post article about him and Dumervil's contributions yesterday. Maybe Carol can link the full site version:

http://m.denverpost.com/denverpost/db_19980/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=LatPwK8X

slim
11-19-2012, 10:54 AM
DJ made a couple of plays. I wouldn't mind seeing him split time with Brooking (which I guess is what happened yesterday).

As long as they keep Woody on the field.

MileHighCrew
11-19-2012, 10:57 AM
I thought he played very good considering how long it has been since he last played. and I think Woody is the real deal. Could be good news for the D

Northman
11-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Actually saw more from DJ than i have his entire career. Guess it lit a fire under his ass and yes, Woody is for real.

SR
11-19-2012, 11:30 AM
I was glad to see DJ making plays without Woodyard being taken out. My fear was that DJ was going to take time from Woody, but as long as that doesn't happen I'll be happy to see DJ making a contribution.

MOtorboat
11-19-2012, 11:45 AM
I was glad to see DJ making plays without Woodyard being taken out. My fear was that DJ was going to take time from Woody, but as long as that doesn't happen I'll be happy to see DJ making a contribution.

My contention all along has been to get both of them on the field when he returns. Williams is by far better than Mays, Brooking, Irving and Trevathan. Trevathan is a nice story and made a couple plays yesterday, but Williams is a better overall linebacker.

Woodyard is making my contention that Williams is the best linebacker on the team look dumb. And I'm perfectly OK with that (Stop with the Miller...he's a lineman...)

slim
11-19-2012, 11:53 AM
My contention all along has been to get both of them on the field when he returns. Williams is by far better than Mays, Brooking, Irving and Trevathan. Trevathan is a nice story and made a couple plays yesterday, but Williams is a better overall linebacker.

Woodyard is making my contention that Williams is the best linebacker on the team look dumb. And I'm perfectly OK with that (Stop with the Miller...he's a lineman...)

Yeah, he is probably our 3rd best LB (yes, Miller is a LB). No worries, though.

Chef Zambini
11-19-2012, 12:00 PM
miller is a linebacker, but they move him all over the field ....
LIKE A SAFETY !

left, right, middle, rush, drop into coverage, play one on one... a SAFETY !

we dont need no stinkin safety, we have VON the dancing safety.

topscribe
11-19-2012, 12:01 PM
It's to Woody's credit that comparisons between him and DJ are being made,
silly as such comparisons are. But what occurs to me is all the SPEED that is
out there when DJ, Woody, and Von are on the field at the same time. All the
sudden, the argument seems to be forming that the Broncos just may have
overall the best LB corps in the league.

Skinny
11-19-2012, 04:05 PM
It was good to see him out there making plays yesterday. Always loved DJs play against the run, and he's not a bad blitzer either. He's always has great speed and is a pretty sure tackler. You never see DJ trying to blow someone up and fail. He wraps his guy up. But i've never liked him in coverage though. My only knock on him. Not trying to turn this into a "bash DJ" thing, just saying. He's been our best LB for years. I haven't forgotten that. He's got the athletic ability to cover well. I think it's more of his mental game of understanding routes and jumping them to make a big play in that area that holds him back from truly being a really good coverage LB. Not to say he sucks at it, i just don't think he excels at it. Again, my only knock on DJs game. He's the best run defending LB we have IMO and he showed yesterday he may still be our best in that area. Glad he's back. He gives us some much needed starter quality play at the LB position, wherever he lines up, and hopefully as he gets his football legs under him, he makes our defense that much better.

Chef Zambini
11-20-2012, 02:46 AM
when DJ was a rookie he could blitz and he could cover! those are atributes he brought with him from the U.
he looked good against the chargers. I hope his performance off the field will also be commendable.

Canmore
11-20-2012, 03:19 AM
It's to Woody's credit that comparisons between him and DJ are being made,
silly as such comparisons are. But what occurs to me is all the SPEED that is
out there when DJ, Woody, and Von are on the field at the same time. All the
sudden, the argument seems to be forming that the Broncos just may have
overall the best LB corps in the league.

Speed! with DJ and Woodyard and Miller (wherever he lines up) on the field we have speed at the linebacker position and what I perceived as a weakness looks like a real asset, the linebacking corps.

SoCalImport
11-20-2012, 04:45 AM
DJ was our full time MLB just a few years ago. That scheme let him be a tackling machine albeit usually after a 3-5 yard gain but I think that had an aweful lot to do with the scheme relying too much on our sub par Dline.
Just like anyone else (accept Mays I guess) playing in this much improved/aggressive defense will allow him to shine.
Thank you Jack Delrio.

Buff
11-20-2012, 10:11 AM
DJ is good at linebacker and bad at thinking.