PDA

View Full Version : Eyeing a first round bye.

CrazyHorse
11-19-2012, 01:29 AM
I know it may be early but I think it's safe to say we should win the division barring any unforeseen circumstances. Looking ahead Denver still has a chance to score the second seed or better provided a few things happen. First we would have two win out and finish 13-3. By beating the Ravens we would own the head to head tiebreaker. Second the Patriots need to lose at least once since they own the tiebreaker with us. I could see this happening against the Texans.

This site that calculates playoff odds actually lists us as having the best chance at the second seed.
http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/afcstandings.html

bcbronc
11-19-2012, 01:36 AM
I was hoping for a Pitt win in the evening game.

OrangeHoof
11-19-2012, 01:52 AM
I expect NE to beat the Texans because it will be Houston's third straight road game, it will be in Foxboro and Houston's defense was eaten up by Green Bay's offense.

I also expect Baltimore to top Denver because it will be in Baltimore where the Ravens rarely lose.

It's possible NE will pass Baltimore but otherwise I see a Houston, NE, Baltimore and Denver in that order at the end of the regular season.

SR
11-19-2012, 06:08 AM
I don't think it'll happen. The way things look right now I don't expect the top four seeds to change...Houston, Baltimore, NE, Denver.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Tned
11-19-2012, 08:19 AM
A second round seeding is possible, but tough. I think it would take the Broncos winning out, and the Pats losing to either Houston or SF. Obviously, winning out isn't the only way, but then it would require the Pats to lose more games. There are two tough games left on the Pats schedule (Hou/SF) and then some games that could be traps, especially since NE has tended to play down to their competition this year, even in wins.

That said, I think more than likely, the Broncos will be the 3 or 4 seed, even though I'm hoping for 2 (I think 1 is out of the picture, with Houston hanging on yesterday).

NightTrainLayne
11-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Everybody is counting our chickens before they hatch. If Manning gets hurt we've got a tough row to hoe. I'm not taking anything for granted.

Nomad
11-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Everybody is counting our chickens before they hatch. If Manning gets hurt we've got a tough row to hoe. I'm not taking anything for granted.

True! It could be a letdown game on Sunday. Chiefs seem to play the BRONCOS toughest, when the Chiefs are at their lowest.

Tned
11-19-2012, 09:21 AM

Yep, and even without a manning injury, the NFL is a tough league, and the Broncos could really go on a losing streak, just like the win streak they're been on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

SR
11-19-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm just grateful for the Broncos being 7-3 and in a position to make the playoffs. Seems like too many of y'all are "give an inch, take a mile" types. As NTL said, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

TXBRONC
11-19-2012, 09:34 AM
I just want Denver to stay focused the game right in front of them. The playoffs and the seeding will take care of itself.

In the long view of history Denver hasn't fared that well in Kansas City but recent history is that Denver has taken two out of the last three in K.C.

Nomad
11-19-2012, 09:39 AM
I just want Denver to stay focused the game right in front of them. The playoffs and the seeding will take care of itself.

In the long view of history Denver hasn't fared that well in Kansas City but recent history is that Denver has taken two out of the last three in K.C.

That's what I'm saying. I would say majority of BRONCO fans are overlooking Chiefs, hopefully the BRONCO coaches/players aren't.

UnderArmour
11-19-2012, 10:16 AM
I know it may be early but I think it's safe to say we should win the division barring any unforeseen circumstances. Looking ahead Denver still has a chance to score the second seed or better provided a few things happen. First we would have two win out and finish 13-3. By beating the Ravens we would own the head to head tiebreaker. Second the Patriots need to lose at least once since they own the tiebreaker with us. I could see this happening against the Texans.

This site that calculates playoff odds actually lists us as having the best chance at the second seed.
http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/afcstandings.html

I think New England will drop at least one road division game this week to the Jets or next week to the Dolphins because these are teams that have drafted talent solely to compete with the Patriots. But if New England wins those two, they are likely to run the table because it's near impossible to go into New England and get a win in December. They should win against both the Texans and the 49ers by 2 touchdowns.

Buff
11-19-2012, 10:21 AM
This thread makes me nervous. Like we are inviting karma to kick us in the nuts.

BroncoNut
11-19-2012, 10:30 AM
This thread makes me nervous. Like we are inviting karma to kick us in the nuts.

I agree. It's times like this that we need to just keep our feet on the ground and take one game at a time more than ever.

Playoffs? Are you kidding me? We've got KC on Sunday don't we? at Arrowhead? Am I right there?

MOtorboat
11-19-2012, 10:43 AM
I agree. It's times like this that we need to just keep our feet on the ground and take one game at a time more than ever.

Playoffs? Are you kidding me? We've got KC on Sunday don't we? at Arrowhead? Am I right there?

Right.

Don't want to piss off the football gods. That said, Denver is in a good position for a playoff run. Right?

BroncoNut
11-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Right.

Don't want to piss off the football gods. That said, Denver is in a good position for a playoff run. Right?

they are if you want to stop and consider that. I myself choose not. suit yourself Mo

Day1BroncoFan
11-19-2012, 10:57 AM
I agree we should just beat the cheifs and let it play out.

Nomad
11-19-2012, 11:43 AM

BTW, I sure hope Manning stays away from bowling:lol:

slim
11-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Some people never learn.

OrangeHoof
11-19-2012, 12:21 PM
The Texans found out what it was like to take a division opponent for granted yesterday. The Broncos should not overlook the Chiefs but human nature is what it is.

CrazyHorse
11-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm not taking the Chiefs for granted but they are not a good team at all this year. Could we still lose to them, sure. Do I think we will, no. I haven't been more confident about a game this year than this one. We could still score a first round bye at 12-4 as long as we beat the Ravens. They'd have to drop another game to maybe to Pitt. Patriots would need to lose two, most likely to SF and Houston. In order to secure a playoff berth even, we should just have to win half of our games and finish 10-6 since we'd own the tiebreaker over SD if they win out.

BroncoNut
11-19-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm just grateful for the Broncos being 7-3 and in a position to make the playoffs. Seems like too many of y'all are "give an inch, take a mile" types. As NTL said, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

I'll go a step futher and say count them after they hatch either because they could all be dead by tommorrow if a coyote of fox gets into the chicken house

BroncoNut
11-19-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm not taking the Chiefs for granted but they are not a good team at all this year. Could we still lose to them, sure. Do I think we will, no. I haven't been more confident about a game this year than this one. We could still score a first round bye at 12-4 as long as we beat the Ravens. They'd have to drop another game to maybe to Pitt. Patriots would need to lose two, most likely to SF and Houston. In order to secure a playoff berth even, we should just have to win half of our games and finish 10-6 since we'd own the tiebreaker over SD if they win out.

If we can shut jamal Charles down and contain Hali, we will win this game

NightTerror218
11-19-2012, 03:51 PM
I could see NE taking a loss with Gronk out now. They could lose to Houston or San Fran. Both would be awesome :D

baltimore has steelers, and us for possible loses. If NYG get out of funk they could do something but not the way they are playing now. I would love to see Chargers knock them off at home as last ditch effort to save season but i doubt it.

bcbronc
11-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Well Ed Reed has been suspended for the Chargers game, so maybe SD can find a win and save Norv's job.

BroncoNut
11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
the Jaguars gave a couple of top teams a run for their money

CrazyHorse
11-20-2012, 05:42 AM
ESPN has there playoff machine up. http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine Projecting games based on power ranking has us finishing with the third seed. Once again if you change the Ravens game we jump up to number two.

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 12:37 PM
ESPN has there playoff machine up. http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine Projecting games based on power ranking has us finishing with the third seed. Once again if you change the Ravens game we jump up to number two.

I hope we beat the ravens, and NE somehow gets seed #3. So that we are seed #2 and NE has to go through Houston to get to us lol. Or i would stick with the #3 seed so we avoid Pats that route. I fear NE like no other team.

Tned
11-22-2012, 10:37 AM
I hope we beat the ravens, and NE somehow gets seed #3. So that we are seed #2 and NE has to go through Houston to get to us lol. Or i would stick with the #3 seed so we avoid Pats that route. I fear NE like no other team.

If we are #2 and Pats #3 then I think Pats would come to Denver in the divisional round. To send NE to Houston, they would need to have the 4th seed, and of course win in the wild card round. #1 will play # 4 (or whatever the lowest seeded team still alive is) and #2 will play #3 (or whatever the second highest seed alive is)

BroncoWave
11-22-2012, 01:39 PM

Why does it matter if I count my chickens before they hatch? I don't play the games. If the team goes on a losing streak it won't be because fans were already looking ahead to the playoffs.

CrazyHorse
11-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Why does it matter if I count my chickens before they hatch? I don't play the games. If the team goes on a losing streak it won't be because fans were already looking ahead to the playoffs.

It's because people are stupid I mean superstitious. I should start another thread to test it.

DenBronx
11-24-2012, 03:31 AM
If we are #2 and Pats #3 then I think Pats would come to Denver in the divisional round. To send NE to Houston, they would need to have the 4th seed, and of course win in the wild card round. #1 will play # 4 (or whatever the lowest seeded team still alive is) and #2 will play #3 (or whatever the second highest seed alive is)
I would like to see the Pats play Houston in the playoffs before meeting us. that would really help us have a better chance of going all the way.

OrangeHoof
11-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Houston is really getting beat up on defense. Cushing is out for the season. Brooks Reed is now out for the rest of the regular season. Shaun Cody has been out several games. Jonathan Joseph has been nursing a sore hamstring. Pretty much all their ILBs are dinged up.

They need to be healthy on defense if they have any hope of slowing down the Patriots. The offense has been healthy other than Ben Tate but they've had trouble finding the right combo on the right side of the line where Antoine Caldwell, Ben Jones, Derek Newton and ex-Bronco Ryan Harris have been shuttled in and out due to injuries/ineffectiveness.

10 quarters in five days has the team exhausted generally. We'll see how much life is left when they play the Titans in Nashville next week before they meet the Patriots in New England.

As beat up as some of the AFC playoff contenders are, there isn't really anyone that seems capable of stepping up to steal a playoff spot except possibly the Bengals.

SR
11-24-2012, 12:01 PM
I would like to see the Pats play Houston in the playoffs before meeting us. that would really help us have a better chance of going all the way.

Being that Houston will probably have a first round bye, NE is looking at Indy or Pittsburgh right now as it sits. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a Denver @ Houston in the divisional round

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

CrazyHorse
12-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Bump. Now that we're guaranteed a playoff spot I think this is relevant. Even though the Ravens lost we still need to beat them in two weeks and have the Patriots drop a game since both teams own tiebreakers over us.