PDA

View Full Version : 'Von Miller Is The Next Lawrence Taylor, Plain And Simple'

DenBronx
11-18-2012, 11:00 PM
On at least one San Diego third down Sunday, a third-and-10 early on, Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio dispatched two defensive linemen, two linebackers and seven defensive backs.

If five defensive backs is a nickel defense and six is a dime, I'm guessing seven is a quarter, or possibly a JFK half-dollar, considering the effects of inflation.

As defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson pointed out afterward, Von Miller wears a linebacker's number (58) but he's generally rushing the passer, so maybe that was a 3-1-7 alignment rather than a 2-2-7. Either way, let's just call it Del Rio's freakout package.

Read more: http://www.850koa.com/pages/krieger.html?article=10582071#ixzz2Cdb7tRSe

turftoad
11-18-2012, 11:11 PM
I think he's a stud but don't be to quick to compare him to Taylor. Wait a few more years.

I hope so though!

DenBronx
11-18-2012, 11:18 PM
I see nothing in his game that wouldnt allow him to be compared. If Miller stays healthy he is going to shatter records and win championships. Its only a matter of time...

DenBronx
11-18-2012, 11:19 PM
He's an animal....a vonimal.

Leads the NFL in sacks and I think he has 25 or more plays of negitive yards allowed.

RyanC
11-19-2012, 12:46 AM
On at least one San Diego third down Sunday, a third-and-10 early on, Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio dispatched two defensive linemen, two linebackers and seven defensive backs.

If five defensive backs is a nickel defense and six is a dime, I'm guessing seven is a quarter, or possibly a JFK half-dollar, considering the effects of inflation.

As defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson pointed out afterward, Von Miller wears a linebacker's number (58) but he's generally rushing the passer, so maybe that was a 3-1-7 alignment rather than a 2-2-7. Either way, let's just call it Del Rio's freakout package.

Read more: http://www.850koa.com/pages/krieger.html?article=10582071#ixzz2Cdb7tRSe

I was at the game and had a great view of that sack (if it was his first one tonight) he was lined up wide weak-side with nobody on him but he was wide (like safety blitz territory), like to where you would suspect he was going to drop to zone to cover the slot over the middle. Either way that is a brilliant zone blitz package with his skills, what makes Von special is his judgement, as much as he could take on a TE pulling across he will drop and cover the slot receiver in zone if the TE pulls, but if the TE runs it's almost a guaranteed sack.

Nomad
11-19-2012, 12:47 AM
I see nothing in his game that wouldnt allow him to be compared. If Miller stays healthy he is going to shatter records and win championships. Its only a matter of time...

I do.......Miller is not all coked up:lol:

BroncoWave
11-19-2012, 12:47 AM
He is absolutely the best defensive player in football right now.

chazoe60
11-19-2012, 12:55 AM

I agree. He is as unblockable as any player I've ever seen. Just like Champ, in his hay-day, took away one side of the field in the passing game Von takes away his side in the tunning game and on top of that he is arguably the best pass tusher in the league. He is special. Let's not forget however that Champ is arguably the best player in history at his position.

Between Champ and Von we have two absolutely dominant football playets on defense. Yay!

honz
11-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Just imagine how good he could be if he spent less time and energy on dance lessons and more time actually improving his skills. What a waste of talent...

bcbronc
11-19-2012, 01:10 AM
I agree. He is as unblockable as any player I've ever seen. Just like Champ, in his hay-day, took away one side of the field in the passing game Von takes away his side in the tunning game and on top of that he is arguably the best pass tusher in the league. He is special. Let's not forget however that Champ is arguably the best player in history at his position.

Between Champ and Von we have two absolutely dominant football playets on defense. Yay!

Agreed. I'm trying not to go haywire over Von, but he's SO good. With how much he improved from year 1 to 2, it's scary to think how good he could be. I quiver just thinking about it.

JDR is doing a fantastic job using his two best players. He's building gameplans around their strengths and putting them in positions to make plays. Their individual talents take it from there.

shank
11-19-2012, 01:14 AM
hi honz

Davii
11-19-2012, 01:15 AM

Did the "r" and "t" on your keyboard get switched?

chazoe60
11-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Did the "r" and "t" on your keyboard get switched?

That's what heppens when you're going on 7 straight days of ten+ hours of work. I'm sure you've dealt with even worse as a badass marine.

ShaneFalco
11-19-2012, 02:37 AM
he is exactly like LT in the way he can demoralize a defense. Instead of telling the qb "Im going to kick your ass!, then im going to kick your million dollar signing bonus babys ass! then ima kick your mommas ass!" like LT does, Von just dances!

Both are effective and get into the head of the opponent.

Canmore
11-19-2012, 03:18 AM

And he is getting better, at an alarming rate for other offenses.

NightTrainLayne
11-19-2012, 09:00 AM
just imagine how good he could be if he spent less time and energy on dance lessons and more time actually improving his skills. What a waste of talent...

lmao.

Tned
11-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Just imagine how good he could be if he spent less time and energy on dance lessons and more time actually improving his skills. What a waste of talent...

Look at it another way. He has incredible motivation to get to the QB, so that he can show of the dance move he spent all week perfecting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Chef Zambini
11-20-2012, 03:02 AM
I dont remember LT or reggie white dancing.
they sucked !

Tebowtime2011
11-20-2012, 12:23 PM
He's an animal....a vonimal.

Leads the NFL in sacks and I think he has 25 or more plays of negitive yards allowed. Not anymore unfortunately the bears horrible o-line let aldon smith get 4 sacks alonw and he is now leading the NFL with 15 sacks.

slim
11-20-2012, 02:50 PM
they sucked !

Get over it.

CoachChaz
11-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Not anymore unfortunately the bears horrible o-line let aldon smith get 4 sacks alonw and he is now leading the NFL with 15 sacks.

Smith is no slouch. As of today...more sacks than Miller over the past 2 seasons

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Smith is no slouch. As of today...more sacks than Miller over the past 2 seasons

with a rare 5.5 sack game he wont repeat. He got 1/3 of his sacks in 1 game. Miller has been more consistent.

CoachChaz
11-20-2012, 03:30 PM
with a rare 5.5 sack game he wont repeat. He got 1/3 of his sacks in 1 game. Miller has been more consistent.

One game makes that much of a difference? I'm not saying Smith is better...I'm just saying he's pretty damn good. If Von is a 10...Smith is at least a 9.5

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 03:31 PM
One game makes that much of a difference? I'm not saying Smith is better...I'm just saying he's pretty damn good. If Von is a 10...Smith is at least a 9.5

I would say smith is an 8. Very on dimensional. Only good on passing downs.

CoachChaz
11-20-2012, 03:51 PM

Last year...yes. But he only has 3 less tackles than Miller this season

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Last year...yes. But he only has 3 less tackles than Miller this season

I would say a 9 or 10 would be in DPOY talks. Smith is not at that level. 10 is elite. 9 is pro bowl.

slim
11-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Smith made that right tackle his bitch last night.

How embarrassed is that guy today?

Jsteve01
11-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Last year...yes. But he only has 3 less tackles than Miller this season Smith has grown leaps and bounds

DenBronx
11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Millers a much better all around player than Smith. Miller might have had 8 sacks against that terrible Bears line.

And we still have to play KC twice, the raiders and Browns. Miller will regain the lead down the stretch.

CoachChaz
11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
I would say a 9 or 10 would be in DPOY talks. Smith is not at that level. 10 is elite. 9 is pro bowl.

Sounds like you watch Miller every week...and Smith when you have to.

Because I happen to have about a dozen Niner fans as friends for some sickening reason, let me explain that they feel the same way about Smith that we do about Miller. The greatness of each one lies within the perception of their fans.

CoachChaz
11-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Smith has grown leaps and bounds

Definitely. He's not the one trick pony that he was last year.

DenBronx
11-20-2012, 04:02 PM

Because I happen to have about a dozen Niner fans as friends for some sickening reason, let me explain that they feel the same way about Smith that we do about Miller. The greatness of each one lies within the perception of their fans.

I see Millers name being mentioned more on ESPN and NFL though. I think the whole NFL knows who Von is now.....especially QBs.

slim
11-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Von is clearly the better overall player, IMO (just look at TFL, for example).

Not saying Smith is a scrub....but Von may be the best defensive player in the league right now.

Poet
11-20-2012, 04:09 PM
they sucked !

I don't remember VM doing tons of cocaine and becoming a distraction for his team and head coach.

CoachChaz
11-20-2012, 04:13 PM
I see Millers name being mentioned more on ESPN and NFL though. I think the whole NFL knows who Von is now.....especially QBs.

No doubt...but publicity doesnt always equate to performance

bcbronc
11-20-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't remember VM doing tons of cocaine and becoming a distraction for his team and head coach.

But to be fair to Von, he's still young.

Poet
11-20-2012, 04:32 PM
But to be fair to Von, he's still young.

He can blossom into a real LB one day!

DenBronx
11-20-2012, 04:35 PM
He can blossom into a real LB one day!

Yeah maybe in 5 years he can be an every down LB!

DenBronx
11-20-2012, 04:35 PM
No doubt...but publicity doesnt always equate to performance

Yet, Von has the performance to also back up the publicity.

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 05:11 PM

I know plenty of niner fans too. they just rub the defense ranking in face and say Crabtree is going to be awesome, gore is amazing and so are his back ups. Vernon davis is the best TE in the NFL. But NFL analysis are praising miller because of multiple outstanding games.

I grew up in Cali there is a reason i hate the niners, they fans are annoying.

CoachChaz
11-20-2012, 05:20 PM
I give up

Poet
11-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Smith is a beast and VM is a beast. Smith's job is to be a pure pass rusher. VM's job is to be a pass rusher and he has more responsibilities.

I can see the argument that Smith is a superior pass rusher to VM. 26 sacks in 29 games is retarded good. I think VM's impact overall is higher.

I appreciate what Coach is saying. To me, one of the best defensive players in the game is Geno Atkins. He plays for my team and I'm more privy to how good he is because of that. Most people don't know much about him, although his name is getting tossed around more. He also was a Pro Bowler last year.

My perception of him is different than most because he plays for my team.

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Smith is a beast and VM is a beast. Smith's job is to be a pure pass rusher. VM's job is to be a pass rusher and he has more responsibilities.

I can see the argument that Smith is a superior pass rusher to VM. 26 sacks in 29 games is retarded good. I think VM's impact overall is higher.

I appreciate what Coach is saying. To me, one of the best defensive players in the game is Geno Atkins. He plays for my team and I'm more privy to how good he is because of that. Most people don't know much about him, although his name is getting tossed around more. He also was a Pro Bowler last year.

My perception of him is different than most because he plays for my team.

I personally think Clay mathew, DJ ware, John Abraham are all better. They are more versitile. I do think Smith is good. But I think he has yet to develop into anything more then a pass rusher. I do think that game was a fluke and will not be repeated ever. Over 1/3 of his stats came from 1 game. I can see him being in top 5 in sacks each year at the rate he is going. But he only has a couple tackles for a loss. Almost all his FF were in last nights game. That is why I gave him an 8 but improving.

Poet
11-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Matthews had a season where he was not much of a pass rusher. Abraham gets less sacks than Smith. That's the thing, it's perception. I understand the arguments for them. To me the amount of sacks he gets are so staggering it negates a lot of his negatives.

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Matthews had a season where he was not much of a pass rusher. Abraham gets less sacks than Smith. That's the thing, it's perception. I understand the arguments for them. To me the amount of sacks he gets are so staggering it negates a lot of his negatives.

To me he is in the top 10 for sacks but the others in the top 10 are more complete players. It is perception I think of Smith has a QB hunter right now that is it. I think he is getting better. I admit I have not seen a ton of 49er games but I have seen several. I have not paid attention as to if he is 3 down DE or just passing downs.

Ravage!!!
11-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Shouldn't the thread title be...

'Von Miller Is The Next Lawrence Taylor, Pain And Simple' ?

Poet
11-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Shouldn't the thread title be...

'Von Miller Is The Next Lawrence Taylor, Pain And Simple' ?

"Von Miller is the Next Lawrence Taylor - Cocaine and Simple.

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 06:15 PM
"Von Miller is the Next Lawrence Taylor - Cocaine and Simple.

prostitutes too?

bcbronc
11-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Yeah maybe in 5 years he can be an every down LB!

I think you meant DE.;)

And you can't complain about Smith's limited versatility and then cite Clay Matthews. Clay is as one dimensional a superstar there is imo.

NightTerror218
11-20-2012, 06:36 PM
I think you meant DE.;)

And you can't complain about Smith's limited versatility and then cite Clay Matthews. Clay is as one dimensional a superstar there is imo.

he is good against the run too.

cmc0605
11-20-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't think it's really useful to compare Von and Aldon Smith...both are very good, but have some different responsibilities. If Aldon ever wanted to become a Bronco, there would certainly be no complaining from me. They are about equal in the pass rushing category.

Von has also improved tremendously in run support and has beefed up a bit from last season. His run support abilities get overlooked because of how good he is attacking the QB, but his tackles for loss and ability to force fumbles is pretty incredible. He's also a very reliable tackler and can run sideline to sideline. He still needs to work on the coverage aspect of his game.

The great thing about Von is that he is just so disruptive, just like Troy Polamalu when he's playing up near the line of scrimmage. There's a difference between average players, great players, and guys who simply take over games and become the center of game-planning attention week in and week out. Very few defenders are in that last category, but Von is one.

LTC Pain
11-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Plain and simple, Von Miller is the next Von Miller. Hell, I like it.

bcbronc
11-20-2012, 08:26 PM
There's only ONE Von Miller!!

BroncoWave
11-20-2012, 08:54 PM
I don't think it's really useful to compare Von and Aldon Smith...both are very good, but have some different responsibilities. If Aldon ever wanted to become a Bronco, there would certainly be no complaining from me. They are about equal in the pass rushing category.

Von has also improved tremendously in run support and has beefed up a bit from last season. His run support abilities get overlooked because of how good he is attacking the QB, but his tackles for loss and ability to force fumbles is pretty incredible. He's also a very reliable tackler and can run sideline to sideline. He still needs to work on the coverage aspect of his game.

The great thing about Von is that he is just so disruptive, just like Troy Polamalu when he's playing up near the line of scrimmage. There's a difference between average players, great players, and guys who simply take over games and become the center of game-planning attention week in and week out. Very few defenders are in that last category, but Von is one.

I remember a play against SD in which they had two linemen blocking him and a RB behind them to chip if he got by. I can't remember ever seeing a team assign three players to a pass rusher.

Poet
11-20-2012, 09:32 PM
What's most impressive about him is that you're getting 3-4 OLB pass rush production and 4-3 OLB run stopping production out of him.

He's the best defensive player in football. He should be a MVP candidate.

Canmore
11-20-2012, 09:44 PM
What's most impressive about him is that you're getting 3-4 OLB pass rush production and 4-3 OLB run stopping production out of him.

He's the best defensive player in football. He should be a MVP candidate.

He is going to garner some votes if he keeps playing this way. I can't think of a defensive player I would rather have. Miller is only in his second season and he is improving. That is the really scary part.

bcbronc
11-20-2012, 09:48 PM
He is going to garner some votes if he keeps playing this way. I can't think of a defensive player I would rather have. Miller is only in his second season and he is improving. That is the really scary part.

Off the top of my head, Suh and maybe Pat Willis. Can't think of anyone else I'd even consider though.

Rick
11-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Somebody else is the next Von Miller.

SR
11-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Chuck Norris wears Von Miller pajama pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Canmore
11-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Off the top of my head, Suh and maybe Pat Willis. Can't think of anyone else I'd even consider though.

Short list! :lol: