PDA

View Full Version : does ELAM deserve to be in the HOF ?

Chef Zambini
11-17-2012, 12:16 PM
I like elam alot, I think he is the best bronco kicker ever, but...
I think there are other kickers more deserving. what do you think?

Ravage!!!
11-17-2012, 12:21 PM
if you were to take kickers into the HoF, then Elam certainly would be amongst the candidates that should be inducted. Are there others that deserve it, of course. Lowery, Anderson (both?), Vinateri are all off the top of my head. But lets not forget that when Elam was at the top of his game, he was the best kicker in the NFL...not just on the Broncos.

MOtorboat
11-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Probably not.

He's on the short list of candidates, but I think he's just outside the bubble.

Seventh in career points, ninth in extra points, fifth in extra point attempts (He missed four in his career), seventh in total field goals made, ninth in field goals attempted, but 28th in field goal accuracy.

Three Pro Bowl appearances, three All-Pro selections and two Super Bowl Championship Rings.

Vinatieri is 14th in accuracy, eighth in total field goals made, twice a Pro-Bowler, twice an All-Pro, ninth in career points and four Super Bowl Championship Rings.

I think these two kickers are both borderline, if they are going to let kickers in.

I think Morten Andersen and Gary Anderson would be locks.

I would put Jason Hanson in the same category as Elam and Vinatieri, and I think if Hall of Fame Voters have ever shown anything, is that if you have three players that all have similar careers, and you don't let the first in (Elam), they aren't going to let the other two in, either.

Chef Zambini
11-17-2012, 12:41 PM
when TD played he was at the top of the game too.
no guarantee.
Vinaterri is the hands down favorite to be the next kicker in the HOF !
I recind this comment after Mo posted undeniable data.
I was under the impression that adam V was top 5 in accuracy.

Ravage!!!
11-17-2012, 12:52 PM
when TD played he was at the top of the game too.
no guarantee.
Vinaterri is the hands down favorite to be the next kicker in the HOF !

I disagree. He was very popular during his Super Bowl wins with NE, but missed a huge kick while in Indy. Being at the top of your game, while playing, isn't the only thing that matters, but it DOES matter. Lowery was considered one of the very best for many years. Yet, the Andersons played lifetimes that acquired many stats. I don't see Vinaterri to be thought of as such a "sure thing" kicker, at all. At Allllll.

If we see another kicker into the HoF.. it will be a kicker that should have been in a LONG time ago like Jan Stenerud.

Chef Zambini
11-17-2012, 01:10 PM
at this point DENBRONX must be wondering why his thread got moved and this one remains in the bronco discussion.
its a simple case of enTITLE ment.
its the exact same discussion, but ELAMS name appears in the title instead of bellichics.

Poet
11-17-2012, 01:32 PM
I think Vinaterii is a lock because of the voters themselves.

Ravage!!!
11-17-2012, 01:36 PM
I think Vinaterii is a lock because of the voters themselves.

A kicker won't get voted in OVER another player. Since we only induct 5 per year, what player are you going to 'push to the side' while the kicker gets in? I don't think any. Even though the kicker has obviously been proved to be more valuable in today's game (or at least, perceived that way)...voters would then have to acknowledge that past kickers were just as valuable to the game. Then, you would have to justify putting off a WR, TE, RB, LB, OL, or DL

Poet
11-17-2012, 01:38 PM
A kicker won't get voted in OVER another player. Since we only induct 5 per year, what player are you going to 'push to the side' while the kicker gets in? I don't think any. Even though the kicker has obviously been proved to be more valuable in today's game (or at least, perceived that way)...voters would then have to acknowledge that past kickers were just as valuable to the game. Then, you would have to justify putting off a WR, TE, RB, LB, OL, or DL

I'm not sure which player in particular, but the voters can be silly enough for me to think it will happen. I'm not saying he's going in first ballot, but this guy helped build the beloved Brady legacy.

Ravage!!!
11-17-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure which player in particular, but the voters can be silly enough for me to think it will happen. I'm not saying he's going in first ballot, but this guy helped build the beloved Brady legacy.

Every team has representatives for the HoF. Those reps present players to the board, and argues AGAINST players. Which is why some just can't get in no matter what,because they have enough people fighting against them. Then the voters vote and a certain % has to vote in favor of them to get in. I just don't think there would be enough people that think that way, for a kicker to get in over another player. I mean, we haven't seen it since the first, and Adam certainly hasn't done anything that has changed kicking (like Jan did)...or anything that puts him heads above anyone else.

Now I completely see that you are tongue in cheek when referring to Adam and his role in building the 'beloved' Brady....but I'm just saying that I don't see another kicker being inducted...until they specifically make an effort and give a kicker one of those "special" inductions that they do for past players.

BroncoTech
11-17-2012, 08:30 PM
I think he deserves it. People forget that special teams are 33% of the game. He was clutch, tied the longest ever field goal record and helped win some big games. Only downside is he didn't kick off much, they saved his leg for field goals.

MOtorboat
11-17-2012, 08:39 PM
I think he deserves it. People forget that special teams are 33% of the game. He was clutch, tied the longest ever field goal record and helped win some big games. Only downside is he didn't kick off much, they saved his leg for field goals.

Special Teams is actually about 10 percent.

Don't fall for coach-speak.

Dapper Dan
11-18-2012, 05:09 PM
If he would have moved to Punter toward the end of his career he would be a lock.