PDA

View Full Version : Reunited with Fox, Del Rio charges up Denver 'D'

Denver Native (Carol)
11-15-2012, 06:37 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- There are a few more lines around the eyes, each of them a mark of some lesson learned during a head-coaching tenure that lasted nearly a decade, had its share of success but ended badly for Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville.

Some things, however, haven't changed.

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reunited-fox-del-rio-charges-223531072--nfl.html

Hawgdriver
11-15-2012, 11:07 PM
"I'm all in, 100 percent as a lieutenant on this staff." It's nice when you have the luxury of having Patton-like generals as your lieutenants.

On the radio, I heard Champ mention his experience with the Thunderbirds ("best thing I've done in my life") and how the Broncos have applied the idea of military style "debriefing" after practice and games.

I think it's great. That's one of the things I noticed immediately after going from military fighter pilot to civilian dude, a lack of any debriefing. How are you supposed to get better if no one is taking the gloves off and saying the things that are hard to say and hard to hear? That was our motto, 'When the door closes, the gloves come off and everyone has equal say, regardless of rank and qualifications.' At first it just feels like being beat like a dog, and then you got used to hearing about how much you suck, and finally at some point after applying the lessons learned, you realize that the mistakes or errors you are now making are actually pretty trivial, but the pursuit of perfection and improvement have become an ingrained habit you can't give up.

This discipline is making Sundays a real treat.