PDA

View Full Version : Panthers fire special teams coach Brian Murphy

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2012, 01:36 PM
I put this in Broncos Talk, as the firing came as a result of the game yesterday.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Panthers coach Ron Rivera says he has fired special teams coordinator Brian Murphy after the team gave up a 76-yard punt return for a touchdown to Trindon Holliday in Sunday's 36-14 loss to the Denver Broncos.

Rivera has promoted assistant special teams coach Richard Rodgers to coordinator. Rodgers, in his first season in Carolina, was a college teammate of Rivera's at Cal.

Rivera says the decision was made because of ''philosophical differences and productivity.''

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/panthers-fire-special-teams-coach-181420690--nfl.html

Chef Zambini
11-12-2012, 02:38 PM
and I hope our ST coach is having a meeting about the very same play !

MasterShake
11-12-2012, 02:46 PM
"Hey! That bear just stole some of our food!"

"Burn down the forest..."

I just don't understand the NFL sometimes..

Chef Zambini
11-12-2012, 03:00 PM
sounds like the ST had alot of issuespunt coverage re-occuring.
the punter outkicked his coverage on that TD return.
65 yasrd punts usually meet with big yardage returns, see rick robee for details.
directional pinting, and kicking to benefit coverage, our guy colquitt keeps our hair in place !
special teams, its the "third team"
people always talk about a good start and how a team finishes.
unless there is a turnover, EVERY posession starts and ends with a special teams play !

slim
11-12-2012, 03:02 PM
sounds like the ST had alot of issuespunt coverage re-occuring.
the punter outkicked his coverage on that TD return.
65 yasrd punts usually meet with big yardage returns, see rick robee for details.
directional pinting, and kicking to benefit coverage, our guy colquitt keeps our hair in place !
special teams, its the "third team"
people always talk about a good start and how a team finishes.
unless there is a turnover, EVERY posession starts and ends with a special teams play !

What about turnover on downs or the end of the half?

Hawgdriver
11-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Funny, Panthers are #1 in league in lowest yardage per kickoff return (against), at 15/return. Next best is 20/return.

OTOH, Panthers special teams contributes negatively to field position and scoring every other way. They rank next to last in punt return yardage, bottom third in kick returns, bottom quarter in FG% and punting average. And they are one of the six or so teams to surrender a punt return TD.

I started thinking it was the standard "quick, fire someone" manager CYA response, but their special teams are actually pretty . . special.

Northman
11-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Lmao, there is always a scapegoat but in all honesty Ron should be looking in the mirror.

SR
11-12-2012, 05:09 PM
The Broncos should sign him.

Serious.

Not serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

MOtorboat
11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Saw this and laughed.

Should have been the offensive coordinator. They do NOT understand how to use their weapons at all, or how to neutralize a terrible offensive line playing against a good one. That line made the Bears line look like pro bowlers.

Dzone
11-12-2012, 07:37 PM
They got rid of Fox be cause they wanted a guy with less gray hair LOL

HORSEPOWER 56
11-12-2012, 07:52 PM
and I hope our ST coach is having a meeting about the very same play !

Zam, calm down...

If you read the article about the Dumervil injury, You'll see this was buried inside:

Meanwhile, Fox said returner Trindon Holliday has been talked to about finishing returns. On his 76-yard punt return for a touchdown Sunday, Holliday appeared to flip the ball out of his hands before he reached the end zone. Still, it was called a touchdown.

“He’s got full instructions from Jeff Rodgers, our special teams coach, to bring the ball all the way back to him,” Fox said. “Bring it to the sideline, hand it to your coach.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/51091/elvis-dumervil-injury-not-serious

chazoe60
11-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Trindon Holliday delivered the pink slip.

Poet
11-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Trindon Holliday delivered the pink slip.

He actually threw that mother ******.

Chef Zambini
11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Trindon Holliday delivered the pink slip.actually he dropped it off just short of the mailbox.