PDA

View Full Version : Does Von Miller have a shot at DPOY?

MOtorboat
11-12-2012, 12:33 PM
RT @psmyth12 Miller had 6 tkls at Carolina - None of those plays gained yds (-6, 0, 0, -5, -4, 0 yds). and resulted in loss of 15 yds total.

Saw this tweet by Patrick Smyth, and it got me thinking. Can Von win DPOY?

Is the year J.J. Watt having just too good?

Nomad
11-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I haven't paid much attention to the rest of the NFL, but I would say so.

Dapper Dan
11-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Position-wise, I think Miller has a better shot. Looking at the DPOY the past decade or so, there are many defensive linemen.

I think if Miller plays every game like the Carolina game, he's probably a lock. Hopefully he stays healthy.

There's also another stat I read somewhere. Through 9 games Von has 10 or more sacks and 10 or more TFL.

cmc0605
11-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Right now I think a lot more people know who J.J. Watt is than they know who Von Miller is, and Watt is having an amazing year...but Von should definitely be in the running. Of course, we still have almost a half season to go. But if he plays half as good in the remaining games as he did Carolina, he'll have a shot

SR
11-12-2012, 01:16 PM
He will come in third in voting...JJ will be first And the dude in Chicago with 8 picks will be second IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Chef Zambini
11-12-2012, 01:17 PM
RT @psmyth12 Miller had 6 tkls at Carolina - None of those plays gained yds (-6, 0, 0, -5, -4, 0 yds). and resulted in loss of 15 yds total.

Saw this tweet by Patrick Smyth, and it got me thinking. Can Von win DPOY?

Is the year J.J. Watt having just too good?you answered your own question. as i read the headline of this thread i thought,
did watt get injured?
the award his his, he just has to stay healthy.

Chef Zambini
11-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Position-wise, I think Miller has a better shot. Looking at the DPOY the past decade or so, there are many defensive linemen.

I think if Miller plays every game like the Carolina game, he's probably a lock. Hopefully he stays healthy.

There's also another stat I read somewhere. Through 9 games Von has 10 or more sacks and 10 or more TFL.if von played every game like the caROLINA GAME, HE WOULD BE LAERENCE TAYLOR OR REGGIE WHITE.
IT WAS A GREAT GAME FOR VON, THANKS TO THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF THE ENTIRE DEFENSE.o

Dapper Dan
11-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Looking at the rest of the schedules, Watt and Miller both have multiple chances to wreak havoc on a team.

Von could really pad his stats against teams like KC (x2), Oakland, and Cleveland.

JJ has few games as well, such as the Jags and Titans.

turftoad
you answered your own question. as i read the headline of this thread i thought,
did watt get injured?
the award his his, he just has to stay healthy.

Watt has kind of slumped tha last couple of games and Von has really come on. Time will tell.

NightTerror218
Right now I would think he is second behind Watt. Some of the Bear's players could be in the talk to since they have a great defense, like Jennings who is leading in interceptions.

EastCoastBronco
11-12-2012, 01:28 PM
I think days like yesterday certainly help Miller's cause.
He was all over every highlight reel whereas Watt was pretty much invisible in that game last night...

BroncoJoe
11-12-2012, 01:36 PM
I'd rather him have a shot at the Superbowl. I have a feeling he would too.

slim
11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
He's not even our best LB.

slim
11-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Trolling MO aside...it is a two man race between Watt and Miller, IMO. It all depends on who finishes better.

Chef Zambini
11-12-2012, 02:10 PM
with 7 games to play, anything can happen. but right now it is a 2 horse race, JJ is 3 lengths ahead, but von is coming on strong before the final turn.
jennings could get 4 more pick 6s and keep his hopes alive, and somebody else might emerge from the pack, but JJ watt, leading his team of TOP nfl defenders, setting RECORDS for passes 'defended"
somebody is going to have to make one hell of a stretch run to beat jj watt .

EMB6903
11-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Von leads the league in tackles for loss and is a half a sack behind watt for the leagues lead.

Watt had an incredible first 5 games to start the year.

The past month Von has been the best defensive player in the league.

Chef Zambini
11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Von leads the league in tackles for loss and is a half a sack behind watt for the leagues lead.

The past month Von has been the best defensive player in the league.you FAILED to mention the 10 knocked down passes that have distinguished JJ watt from all other defenders !
those knock downs are pure individual efforts, unlike most SACKS ! talk about taking away half the field, QBs are AFRAID to throw the ball to the side that JJ watt lines up on !
I hope VON can make it a togh decision! maybe it will come down to who is the better dancer?

Chef Zambini
11-12-2012, 02:34 PM

The past month Von has been the best defensive player in the league.
I wasnt aware that VON won defensive player of the month of october.

NightTerror218
11-12-2012, 02:34 PM
you FAILED to mention the 10 knocked down passes that have distinguished JJ watt from all other defenders !
those knock downs are pure individual efforts, unlike most SACKS ! talk about taking away half the field, QBs are AFRAID to throw the ball to the side that JJ watt lines up on !
I hope VON can make it a togh decision! maybe it will come down to who is the better dancer?

I would not want to throw near a guy with what a 48" jump potential.

Chef Zambini
11-12-2012, 02:36 PM
they should add a dance moves category to the rookie combine !

Jsteve01
11-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Which is more important? Passes batted or forced fumbles? Von has more fumbles than Watt and also leads in tackles for loss

NightTerror218
11-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Which is more important? Passes batted or forced fumbles? Von has more fumbles than Watt and also leads in tackles for loss

yah but 10 PD at the DL is insane number. those could have been TD passes or 1st passes. I know FFs are huge though but if there we actual turnovers or did O get them back.

SR
11-12-2012, 03:02 PM
I wasnt aware that VON won defensive player of the month of october.

He didn't...

slim
11-12-2012, 03:03 PM
yah but 10 PD at the DL is insane number. those could have been TD passes or 1st passes. I know FFs are huge though but if there we actual turnovers or did O get them back.

They could have also been interceptions!

Did you ever think of that?

NightTerror218
11-12-2012, 03:06 PM
They could have also been interceptions!

Did you ever think of that?

statistically that is far less likely.

slim
11-12-2012, 03:09 PM
statistically that is far less likely.

Just as likely to be interceptions as TDs (depending on who is throwing it).

:jaycutler:

NightTerror218
11-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Just as likely to be interceptions as TDs (depending on who is throwing it).

:jaycutler:

haha

NightTerror218
11-12-2012, 03:14 PM
was just noticing that Miller is 1/2 sack behind Watts. he can pass him up this weekend. Watt had no sacks against Chicago which is surprising.

Softskull
11-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I think the Miller noise machine is just starting and two or three more games like last Sunday and it's a done deal.

This from Roto today:

He also caused Cam Newton's pick-six with a hit. The Broncos' seven sacks were their most in nine years and the most times any team has sacked Newton. The Panthers had eight three-and-outs, in large part because Miller was in the backfield all game. Of his six tackles, not one gained a single yard. Coming off one of the finest two-game showings we've seen by a pass rusher, Miller now has 30 QB hurries this season. According to Pro Football Focus, no other 4-3 outside linebacker is in double digits. Not to be overlooked is Miller's run defense, which has been superlative this season.

slim
11-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Is that stat right? I can't beleive it is....I remember reading somewhere, and not that long ago, that Doom was leading the league in hurries.

MOtorboat
11-12-2012, 05:04 PM
you FAILED to mention the 10 knocked down passes that have distinguished JJ watt from all other defenders !

Knockdowns are individual efforts, but sacks are not?

Um, ok. When Miller swashbuckles a tackle and then swallows up a quarterback, it's the result of what?

I too appreciate Watts knockdowns, but the sacks are always more important to a defense.

BroncoJoe
11-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Not in Zam's world, MO. He hates anything Broncos.

MOtorboat
11-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Not in Zam's world, MO. He hates anything Broncos.

Good point. For the record, I'd vote Watt over Miller right now, but not because of the knockdowns.

Softskull
I don't know if it's right or not. I don't have a subscription to PFF to check it. If it is right, it's sick.

And that comparison was just with other LBs not Dlinemen.

slim
Good point. For the record, I'd vote Watt over Miller right now, but not because of the knockdowns.

Because Miller is the second best LB on his own team?

slim
11-12-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't know if it's right or not. I don't have a subscription to PFF to check it. If it is right, it's sick.

And that comparison was just with other LBs not Dlinemen.

Yeah, I can see that comparison, when you limit it to 4-3 LBs.

At any rate, dude is a BAMF.

MOtorboat
11-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Because Miller is the second best LB on his own team?

For the record, when I make that comment about Williams, I am considering Miller as more of a hybrid DE than a linebacker. Now back to Slimgator's regular flaming...

slim
11-12-2012, 05:12 PM
For the record, when I make that comment about Williams, I am considering Miller as more of a hybrid DE than a linebacker. Now back to Slimgator's regular flaming...

Yeah, I know that's what you meant.

So why would you give JJ the edge?

MOtorboat
11-12-2012, 05:14 PM

Sacks and the first five games where he was just dominant. I think that will change, because Miller might be starting a streak that might be even more dominant, a lot like that six or seven game stretch last year where he just wreaked havoc.

SR
11-12-2012, 05:14 PM

Because he's the best defensive player on one of the top defenses in the NFL. I think his play to play impact is greater than Miller's.

slim
11-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Sacks and the first five games where he was just dominant. I think that will change, because Miller might be starting a streak that might be even more dominant, a lot like that six or seven game stretch last year where he just wreaked havoc.

Yeah and Miller's streak will be down the stretch and hopefully continue into the playoffs (knock on wood).

slim
11-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Because he's the best defensive player on one of the top defenses in the NFL. I think his play to play impact is greater than Miller's.

I don't like him because he is white.

BroncoJoe
11-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Don't a lot of you posting in this thread hate the expression "if the playoffs started today..."

Let's let the season play out. In my mind, it's a toss up right now.

SR
11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't like him because he is white.

I can see that. He also looks A LOT like Frankenstein.

SR
11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Don't a lot of you posting in this thread hate the expression "if the playoffs started today..."

Don't mind it.

MOtorboat
11-12-2012, 05:20 PM

I was trying to find a discussion topic for today, because it seems since Denver is winning there's kind of a lack of discussion topics (people, and I'm guilty too, tend to just complain).

BroncoJoe
11-12-2012, 05:21 PM
A lounge thread would have been better.

slim
I think it is a good thread, MO.

Just ignore Joe.

MOtorboat

Just ignore Joe.

He's such a negative nancy sometimes.

BroncoJoe

Just ignore Joe.

Go on a fast, fatboi.

slim
11-12-2012, 05:22 PM
He's such a negative nancy sometimes.

I wonder if he's been hanging out with Clay?

bcbronc
11-12-2012, 05:23 PM
The comparison to 43 OLBs is a bit misleading considering Von plays end in our nickle and dime packages. Still impressive numbers and the guy is just getting stronger every week.

Watt got off to the quick start, but the way Von is ballin its going to be a tough call. Or both could get hurt and neither get it, long way to go still.

But what I really mean to say is where's the love for Champ?:trollhardretard:

ShaneFalco
11-12-2012, 07:51 PM
yes

HORSEPOWER 56
11-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Trolling MO aside...it is a two man race between Watt and Miller, IMO. It all depends on who finishes better.

Peanut Tillman and Tim Jennings from the Bears are also in the running. Jennings already has a ridiculous amount of INTs and Tillman has forced a crap-ton of fumbles and has several INTs of his own.

Right now, the Texans are media Darlings (and a large market team) and so are the Bears. Like always, Bronco players not named Manning aren't being talked about for any awards.

These awards get voted on by guess who? The media. I doubt Klis and Kizla have enough votes to swing it.

MOtorboat
11-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Peanut Tillman and Tim Jennings from the Bears are also in the running. Jennings already has a ridiculous amount of INTs and Tillman has forced a crap-ton of fumbles and has several INTs of his own.

Right now, the Texans are media Darlings (and a large market team) and so are the Bears. Like always, Bronco players not named Manning aren't being talked about for any awards.

These awards get voted on by guess who? The media. I doubt Klis and Kizla have enough votes to swing it.

Then why did Peter King (Probably the leading NFL national columnist) name Miller the DPOW and on the short list for DPOY today?

This is the NFL not Major League Baseball. Players who play well will get noticed.

Poet
11-12-2012, 08:08 PM
If it ends up a tie, and to be honest I think Von Miller does more game by game than Watt, I would go with Von Miller because he is a more of a unique player.

SR
11-12-2012, 08:09 PM

Woody Paige might though.

MOtorboat
11-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Woody Paige might though.

I don't think any of those three have a vote.

SR
11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't think any of those three have a vote.

You're probably right but Woody is the biggest figure in the Denver market because of his appearances on ESPN.

MOtorboat
11-12-2012, 08:26 PM
You're probably right but Woody is the biggest figure in the Denver market because of his appearances on ESPN.

The AP vote (there are only 50) for the league awards used to be Frank Schwab from Colorado Springs. But he got moved to the Air Force beat two years ago and took a job before this college season as a national columnist for NCAA football for Yahoo!

And not every team has a beat writer that gets a vote, so they may not have turned his vote over to Lindsay Jones. However, as respected as she is in the business, she may have a vote now.

SR
11-12-2012, 08:28 PM
The AP vote (there are only 50) for the league awards used to be Frank Schwab from Colorado Springs. But he got moved to the Air Force beat two years ago and took a job before this college season as a national columnist for NCAA football for Yahoo!

And not every team has a beat writer that gets a vote, so they may not have turned his vote over to Lindsay Jones. However, as respected as she is in the business, she may have a vote now.

Oh ok. That is one process I know nothing about so I probably come across as a total Zam.

MOtorboat
11-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Here were last year's 50 voters:

via this: http://mvpvoting.wordpress.com/ap-voters/

Howard Balzer, USA TODAY — Email: HBalzer@aol.com; Twitter: @HBalzer721

Don Banks, Sports Illustrated — Twitter: @DonBanks

Jarrett Bell, USA Today — Email: jbell@usatoday.com; Twitter: @JarrettBell

Bob Berger, Sporting News Radio

Chris Berman, ESPN

Clifton Brown, Sporting News — Email: cliftonbrown@sportingnews.com; Twitter: @CliftonBrownSN

Rich Cimini, ESPN New York — Twitter: @RichCimini

John Clayton, ESPN — Twitter: @ClaytonESPN

Steve Cohen, Sirius Satellite Radio

Cris Collinsworth, NBC — Twitter: @CollinsworthNBC

Frank Cooney, The SportsXchange — Email: fcooney@sportsxchange.com

Jim Corbett, USA TODAY — Twitter: @JimCorbettUSAT

Bob Costas, NBC

Mark Craig, Minneapolis Star Tribune — Email: mcraig@startribune.com; Twitter: @markcraignfl

Tom Curran, Comcast SportsNet New England — Email: tcurran@comcastsportsnet.com; Twitter: @tomecurran

John Czarnecki, Fox Sports

Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News — Email: pdomo@aol.com; Twitter: @pdomo

Tony Dungy, NBC — Twitter: @TonyDungy

David Elfin — Twitter: @davidelfin

Boomer Esiason, CBS — Twitter: @7BOOMERESIASON

Ashley Fox, ESPN — Twitter: @AshleyMFox

Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News — Email: mgaughan@buffnews.com; Twitter: @gggaughan

Rich Gannon, CBS Sports, SiriusXM — Twitter: @RichGannon12

Darin Gantt, Pro Football Talk — Twitter: @DarrinGantt

Nancy Gay, FOXSports.com — Contact: http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/Nancy_Gay; Twitter: @nancygay

Bob Glauber, Newsday — Email: bob.glauber@newsday.com; Twitter: @BobGlauber

Dave Goldberg — Twitter: @davegoldberg84

Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News — Email: rgosselin@dallasnews.com

Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer — Email: tgrossi@plaind.com; Twitter: @TonyGrossi

Paul Gutierrez, Comcast SportsNet California — Twitter: @PGutierrezCSN

Clark Judge, CBS Sports — Contact: http://www.cbssports.com/columns/writers/judge; Twitter: @ClarkJudgeCBS

Ira Kaufman, Tampa Tribune — Email: ikaufman@tampatrib.com

Peter King, Sports Illustrated — Twitter: @SI_PeterKing

Jeff Legwold, Denver Post — Email: jlegwold@denverpost.com; Twitter: @Jeff_Legwold

Alex Marvez, FOXsports.com — Contact: http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/Alex-Marvez-FOXSports.com-Senior-NFL-Writer?authorId=309; Twitter: @alexmarvez

John McClain, Houston Chronicle — Email: john.mcclain@chron.com; Twitter: @McLain_on_NFL

Pat McManamon, FOX Sports Ohio — Twitter: @PatMcManamon

Chris Mortensen, ESPN — Twitter: @mortreport

Gary Myers, New York Daily News — Email: gmyers@nydailynews.com; Twitter: @garymyersNYDN

Danny O’Neil, Seattle Times — Email: doneil@seattletimes.com; Twitter: @dannyoneil

Dan Pompei, Chicago Tribune — Email: dpompei@tribune.com; Twitter: @danpompei

Pete Prisco, CBS Sports — Contact: http://www.cbssports.com/columns/writers/prisco; Twitter: @priscoCBS

Tim Ryan, FOX Sports

Armando Salguero, Miami Herald — Email: asalguero@miamiherald.com; Twitter: @ArmandoSalguero

Adam Schein, Sirius NFL Radio — Twitter: @AdamSchein

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel — Email: tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com; Twitter: @TomSilverstein

Kent Somers, Arizona Republic — Email: kent.somers@arizonarepublic.com; Twitter: @kentsomers

Adam Teicher, Kansas City Star — Email: ateicher@kcstar.com; Twitter: @adamteicher

Charean Williams, Fort Worth Star-Telegram — Email: cjwilliams@star-telegram.com; Twitter: @NFLCharean

Poet
11-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Collinsworth does not deserve a vote. I find him to be awful.

Jsteve01
11-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Jennings and peanut will steal votes from each other so you canwrite them both off. Its a two horse race. The sad thing is that Von and pfm will probably do the same thing toeach other inthe MVP vote.

Chef Zambini
11-13-2012, 01:23 PM
do you guys think vons little dances help or hurt his chances to win?

Softskull
11-13-2012, 01:25 PM

To win Dancing with the Stars? No, Jerry Rice was much better.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2012, 01:26 PM

I don't think his dances have anything to do with it. These guys aren't petty fans that get upset over something so inconsequential.

slim
11-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Collinsworth does not deserve a vote. I find him to be awful.

Worse than Chris Berman?