PDA

View Full Version : Broncos demote brandon marshall ?

T.K.O.
08-10-2009, 07:48 PM
looks like his lack of enthusiasm is costing brandon......
Broncos demote Brandon Marshall
Posted by Mike Florio on August 10, 2009 4:27 PM ET
The Denver Broncos have released their first 2009 depth chart. And, according to the Denver Post, receiver Brandon Marshall has been demoted to the second team.

The move likely arises from the reality that Marshall hasn't been practicing much, due to an injury. But it also might be aimed at Marshall's pride, in the hopes that he'll do what he has to do to get back to the starting lineup.

The top three receivers are Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, and Jabar Gaffney.

At running back, free-agent acquisition Correll Buckhalter is listed as the starter, with LaMont Jordan and Peyton Hills as the backups. Rookie first-rounder Knowshon Moreno is listed at fourth, even though he has been getting increased work with the first team.

Finally, it appears that rookie cornerback Alphonso Smith will be taking over the kick-return and punt-return chores; he's at the top of the chart, and Eddie Royal isn't on it at all.

broncohead
08-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Even though I would love to see Royal back there returning kicks and punts I would rather save him for WR. Marshal listed with the 2nd team will only make him work harder imo. He won't get a big payday in FA next year if he doesn't work his ass off.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-10-2009, 07:55 PM
This also could have been done as this will be the depth chart for the preseason game on Friday, and with Brandon's trial on Thursday, he may not even be at the game on Friday.

silkamilkamonico
08-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't think Marshall will be in Denver after this year anyways so McDaniels will probably just try and put up with him this year. I know he's a great talent but I'm not real sure how he fits into McDaniels offense anyways.

girler
08-10-2009, 08:20 PM
This also could have been done as this will be the depth chart for the preseason game on Friday, and with Brandon's trial on Thursday, he may not even be at the game on Friday.

Great point Carol. :salute:

Requiem / The Dagda
08-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't think Marshall will be in Denver after this year anyways so McDaniels will probably just try and put up with him this year. I know he's a great talent but I'm not real sure how he fits into McDaniels offense anyways.

Correction, how he fits into Knowshon Moreno's offense. He runs this stuff now.

NameUsedBefore
08-10-2009, 08:23 PM
McDaniels' building his doghouse.

T.K.O.
08-10-2009, 08:37 PM
i think carol hit the nail on the head.
the trial combined with his injury status have probably made it neccessary to bump brandon down for the 1st (if not all) preseason game.
but its still gonna be great fuel for the media to trash the broncos and the way mcD is ruinig this great 8-8 team:D

silkamilkamonico
08-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I like Knowshon too I just wish he was faster. I really miss the explosiveness of Portis, where you knew he legitimately was the fastest and most explosive guy on the field in Denver's offense.

broncohead
08-10-2009, 10:07 PM

If an OC can't find a way to get a talent like Marshall involved in their offense then they have no buisiness being an OC. He's stupid off the field but you cannot deny his talent.

underrated29
08-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Wow florio- you are a genius. Really a guy who has practiced twice is not ahead of players who have been practicing throughout camp? What did you expect mike....?

I like Knowshon too I just wish he was faster. I really miss the explosiveness of Portis, where you knew he legitimately was the fastest and most explosive guy on the field in Denver's offense.

Knowshon has more explosiveness than Portis. He is the most explosive. He just does not have that overall speed that portis has.

Know- can go from 0-50 in half a second. but he tops out at 60
Portis can go from 0-50 in 1 and 1/2 seconds, but he tops out at 85.

I honestly dont expect to hear anything from anyone about his speed once the season is over. I think it will be quite the opposite.

Northman
08-10-2009, 10:40 PM
I guarantee it has more to do with his injury rather than attitude.

silkamilkamonico
08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Know- can go from 0-50 in half a second. but he tops out at 60
Portis can go from 0-50 in 1 and 1/2 seconds, but he tops out at 85.

That kind of makes Portis look a little superior.

I don't think Knowshon will be anywhere near as explosive as Portis, but I think he excels as a "wiggler". He's the kind of back that's going to get you 3=5 yards almost everytime because he won't get tackled for losses. Certainly a definite plus to have and maybe better, just dsoesn't have Portis' sexiness.

Northman
08-10-2009, 10:50 PM

I don't think Knowshon will be anywhere near as explosive as Portis, but I think he excels as a "wiggler". He's the kind of back that's going to get you 3=5 yards almost everytime because he won't get tackled for losses. Certainly a definite plus to have and maybe better, just dsoesn't have Portis' sexiness.

From some of the video and games i saw from Moreno he reminds me a bit of Payton.

GEM
08-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Well, he hasn't practiced but once with the team, he's stated he doesn't want to be here...do we beg him to do the job he's being paid to do or do we move on with the TEAM of players who are here everyday and want to be here?

TXBRONC
08-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Well, he hasn't practiced but once with the team, he's stated he doesn't want to be here...do we beg him to do the job he's being paid to do or do we move on with the TEAM of players who are here everyday and want to be here?

Everything I've read so far indicates the Marshall is injuried and unable to practice, rather than he's unwilling to practice. Do you have some insight that we know about? (I mean that seriously.)

GEM
08-10-2009, 11:29 PM
No, just thought it to be a bit of a coincidence his not wanting to be here and then getting hurt in the 2nd practice of his first day. He could be hurt for all I know, but because of all his other stuff, if he's here, he's here. If he's not, someone has to fill his shoes, we can't put all of our hopes on a guy that doesn't want to be here.

Disappointing.

Lonestar
08-10-2009, 11:35 PM
while I have not read the thread my initial thought was how could Josh have Marshall on the depth chart as #1 if:

he does not know the routes or if he knows them has not run them more than couple of times..

has almost NO time catching passes from Orton, working on their timing

is injured and in rehab

has a court date on Thursday in ATL..

I think if anyone thought he would be listed at number one they need to stop smoking the good stuff.

Lonestar
08-10-2009, 11:36 PM
No, just thought it to be a bit of a coincidence his not wanting to be here and then getting hurt in the 2nd practice of his first day. He could be hurt for all I know, but because of all his other stuff, if he's here, he's here. If he's not, someone has to fill his shoes, we can't put all of our hopes on a guy that doesn't want to be here.

Disappointing.

in the Navy we used to call someone like that a malingerer.. some one that is constantly unable to work because of a injury minor or NOT..

TXBRONC
08-10-2009, 11:37 PM

Disappointing.

While he has missed practice time, he hasn't missed any meetings according to McDaniels.

GEM
08-10-2009, 11:45 PM
It's just my opinion, TX. Hope it's wrong.

Tned
08-10-2009, 11:57 PM
From some of the video and games i saw from Moreno he reminds me a bit of Payton.

Peyton or Payton? :D

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 12:34 AM
McDaniels has kept Brandon out through coaching decision (as he's stated in interviews) -- so I don't really understand why we need to resort to conspiracy theories to continue to degrade Marshall as a player. Very silly.

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Frankly I like the no comment policy on injuries other than the mandated NFL reports given out for the LAS Vegas crowd on Thursday and Friday..

It frankly is team and player business and no one Else's..

Northman
08-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Peyton or Payton? :D

No, not Peyton. Walter Payton. Just for clarification. :coffee::D

Elevation inc
08-11-2009, 01:03 AM
MCdaniels stated on the jim rome podcast for yesterday, that marshall is hurt and will pratcie when he is ready, he stated he puts faith in marshall and backs him fully as a injured player right now.

he also stated he has been at all team meetings, functions ,events

this is a non-issue, he is hurt, may miss a couple more pre-season games, and has a pending trial, of course they arent gonna rush him out there as the number 1 guy.....

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 01:17 AM
You tell 'em Elevation!

frenchfan
08-11-2009, 01:50 AM

I don't think Knowshon will be anywhere near as explosive as Portis, but I think he excels as a "wiggler". He's the kind of back that's going to get you 3=5 yards almost everytime because he won't get tackled for losses. Certainly a definite plus to have and maybe better, just dsoesn't have Portis' sexiness.If Moreno could be as good and more durable than another Broncos RB coming out from Georgia, then we'll be blessed... ;)

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Moreno is going to make Terrell Davis look like garbage.

Dirk
08-11-2009, 05:56 AM

:tsk:

Sorry..but that won't happen. TD was destined for the HOF until the injury. What he did in his short time was fantastic.

Back to topic....I am not one to go on the conspiracy trail...but, something just keeps telling me that BMarsh is milking this injury trying to get out of town.

I hope I am wrong and he comes back like a mad man!!

CoachChaz
08-11-2009, 06:21 AM
I really get the feeling McD likes marshall and wants him in the offense. he always talks highly of him, so I dont think this has any underlying meaning...just due to the injury

Elevation inc
08-11-2009, 06:55 AM
i also cant help but think this is just mainly preperation for the trial, if he shows up as number 1 on the depth chart and then the trial hits and he gets convicted think of all the media who hah about this will screw us and we arent prepared becasue we were gonna rely on him and blah blah blah, since he is lower down now. if he gets convicted the media will get the sense we already prepared for this ahead of time.....and it makes the FO look a bit more prepared....and the hoopla and crticism may be less....

LRtagger
08-11-2009, 09:05 AM
What a shocker!! Mike Florio making a big deal over nothing!

frenchfan
08-11-2009, 09:14 AM

Sorry..but that won't happen. TD was destined for the HOF until the injury. What he did in his short time was fantastic.

I agree SWN... TD was such an awesome RB !

Though that if it happens, we'll be really pleased...
Having a 2000+ RB (who can score in the red zone) will make Orton looks like the best QB of all time ! ;) :D :elefant:

NightTrainLayne
08-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Regarding Marshall, I'm just concerned about this injury. I'm worried that he really dinged up his hip again and the recovery isn't going well.

It's frustrating not knowing.

But it's good to know that apparently Gaffney is doing well in his place.

yardog
08-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Mike
08-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Speed isn't everything. TD wasn't as fast as Portis, but was infinitely better (IMO at least). I will take a little more power over a little more speed any day.

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 10:11 AM

what ? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SAY YOU ARE JOKING.
THAT'S INSANE.....nobody ....NOBODY could ever make T.D. look like garbage:mad:

but i know you are joking its the only possible explanation for that statement:D

Poet
08-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Cicero was being facetious.

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I really get the feeling McD likes marshall and wants him in the offense. he always talks highly of him, so I dont think this has any underlying meaning...just due to the injury

thats also because he is gun shy after pissing off the chosen one,;)
i do believe he knows brandon is a rare talent and i am thinking that after this weekend we will hear alot more from both mcd and brandon about his future with the broncos .
if his court issue is settled without a guilty verdict or plea. i think goodell will let him slide w/o suspension and then the broncos will get a little more serious about wrapping him up for a few years and paying him on par with his on field performance.
then all will be well in broncoland ! (except maybe for the :defense:)

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Actually, I wasn't kidding. Whether or not Moreno will have the team necessary to get to two Super Bowls is unknown, but what I do know is that it won't be hard for Moreno to break Davis' rushing statistics here with the Broncos. Moreno has a good group around him, whether or not they are as good as the 96-98 Broncos where Davis enjoyed his most successes, including back-to-back 2,000 yard all-purpose seasons remains to be seen.

Moreno is a far more talented back at age 22 than Davis was entering the National Football League. He does have a few things going against him:

(A) Teams don't burden one running back like they did a decade ago, thus having to split carries. (For the most part, there are exceptions to the rule; i.e. Adrian Peterson, 2008.)

(B) The level of competition is much higher now than it was as well.

The relative success of Davis can hypothetically and logically be contributed to how many times he ran the ball. When you're running 345, 369 and 392 times a year -- you're bound to get yards. Many teams in the NFL have ran less plays than that as a whole unit, not just exclusive to one player. Give Knowshon the rock that many times and I guarantee he'll have the ability to match Davis best seasons with ease. He's also a quality receiver and arguably can be a better one than Davis was during his time as a pro.

We'll have to wait and see though. Knowshon played 13 game seasons and hasn't carried the ball over 300 times. I don't believe he'll ever have the opportunity to match Davis' effort in carries due to the nature of the league, increasingly more passing and shared-back mentality, but he's going to be one hell of a player.

On the flip side, I'm not not worried about Marshall's position on the depth chart. If he can't be on the field to perform by coaches decision, he's not going to have the opportunity to impress. Gaffney and Stokes have been able to, so it's quite obvious why they are ahead of him, not to mention that Jabar has experience in McDaniels system. That certainly helps.

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Actually, I wasn't kidding. Whether or not Moreno will have the team necessary to get to two Super Bowls is unknown, but what I do know is that it won't be hard for Moreno to break Davis' rushing statistics here with the Broncos. Moreno has a good group around him, whether or not they are as good as the 96-98 Broncos where Davis enjoyed his most successes, including back-to-back 2,000 yard all-purpose seasons remains to be seen.

Moreno is a far more talented back at age 22 than Davis was entering the National Football League. He does have a few things going against him:

(A) Teams don't burden one running back like they did a decade ago, thus having to split carries. (For the most part, there are exceptions to the rule; i.e. Adrian Peterson, 2008.)

(B) The level of competition is much higher now than it was as well.

The relative success of Davis can hypothetically and logically be contributed to how many times he ran the ball. When you're running 345, 369 and 392 times a year -- you're bound to get yards. Many teams in the NFL have ran less plays than that as a whole unit, not just exclusive to one player. Give Knowshon the rock that many times and I guarantee he'll have the ability to match Davis best seasons with ease. He's also a quality receiver and arguably can be a better one than Davis was during his time as a pro.

We'll have to wait and see though. Knowshon played 13 game seasons and hasn't carried the ball over 300 times. I don't believe he'll ever have the opportunity to match Davis' effort in carries due to the nature of the league, increasingly more passing and shared-back mentality, but he's going to be one hell of a player.

On the flip side, I'm not not worried about Marshall's position on the depth chart. If he can't be on the field to perform by coaches decision, he's not going to have the opportunity to impress. Gaffney and Stokes have been able to, so it's quite obvious why they are ahead of him, not to mention that Jabar has experience in McDaniels system. That certainly helps.

being one of 4 backs in nfl history to rush for 2000 yds makes it IMPOSSIBLE to look like garbage .(period)
no matter how good you look as a prospect,you are not going to make davis look bad....you might as well say that reggie bush or darren mcfadden are going to make l.t. look like a high school player, it aint happenin'
now can knowshon out perform t.d. ? sure can he win 2 sb's....of coarse.
but that wont make t.d. look bad. it will however make me very happy !:salute::elefant:

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 11:31 AM
I guess what I was trying to say is that Knowshon has the ability to make people forget about Davis' accomplishments since he has the talent to be incredible in his own right. When it's all said and done, I think Moreno will have done more in his career than Davis comparatively; even if we judged them through the total seasons Davis was allowed to play before injury. Back to the Marshall discussion though! :beer:

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 11:32 AM
looks like mcD has company.....whether or not brandon was benched for injury.it looks like the chiefs are showing their young stars they better not get complacent.........

Chiefs bench Dwayne Bowe
Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2009 8:45 AM ET
One of the few bright spots on the 2008 Chiefs roster was receiver Dwayne Bowe.

Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star reports that Bowe has been benched.

At least for now.

Teicher explains in a video entry that coach Todd Haley demoted Bowe on Monday. Haley thereafter indicated that he's not happy with Bowe's overall integration into the "program."

It shows, as Teicher points out, that Haley is willing to call guys out in order to ensure that players realize that they need to do things the way Haley wants them to do things.

Teicher says he's confident that Bowe will figure out what Haley wants and give it to him before Week One.

Bowe, a first-round pick in 2007, caught 86 passes for 1,022 yards and seven touchdowns last season.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Mike Evans - FM104.3the fan reported a little while ago that McDaniels has granted Brandon a "personal" leave of absence.

NightTrainLayne
08-11-2009, 11:36 AM
looks like mcD has company.....whether or not brandon was benched for injury.it looks like the chiefs are showing their young stars they better not get complacent.........

Chiefs bench Dwayne Bowe
Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2009 8:45 AM ET
One of the few bright spots on the 2008 Chiefs roster was receiver Dwayne Bowe.

Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star reports that Bowe has been benched.

At least for now.

Teicher explains in a video entry that coach Todd Haley demoted Bowe on Monday. Haley thereafter indicated that he's not happy with Bowe's overall integration into the "program."

It shows, as Teicher points out, that Haley is willing to call guys out in order to ensure that players realize that they need to do things the way Haley wants them to do things.

Teicher says he's confident that Bowe will figure out what Haley wants and give it to him before Week One.

Bowe, a first-round pick in 2007, caught 86 passes for 1,022 yards and seven touchdowns last season.

Todd Haley doesn't like any WR does he? :D

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Personal leave of absence, I wonder what this exactly means. Maybe it is in regards to his upcoming court date?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Personal leave of absence, I wonder what this exactly means. Maybe it is in regards to his upcoming court date?

That's exactly what it is for - to prepare for his court date this Thursday

Ravage!!!
08-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Todd Haley doesn't like any WR does he? :D

Again.. I have to say that its good to see that a division rival is the one that hired Haley and not us