PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Dumervil, Von Miller on containment duty for Broncos vs. Cam Newton

Denver Native (Carol)
11-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Fresh off a five-sack day in Cincinnati, the Denver Broncos are now tied for sixth in the NFL in sacks with 24.

Broncos linebacker Von Miller, after three sacks Sunday, is tied for second in the league with nine. Elvis Dumervil is among several players tied for 16th with six sacks.

Miller and Dumvervil are hard-chargers — they have 62.5 percent of the Broncos' sacks this season.

"That's my job, it's what I do," Dumervil said. "It's a big part of the defense and with Von we can come at a quarterback a lot of different ways in this scheme. We like to get the quarterback."

Sunday in Carolina, however, they can't like it too much.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21940603/elvis-dumervil-von-miller-broncos-vs-cam-newton

Chef Zambini
11-08-2012, 03:18 AM
both doom and von have to be disciplined.

Ravage!!!
11-08-2012, 02:48 PM
yeah, they do. But I'm not worried about a running QB beating us with his legs. Sure, they can make a play here and there, but generally speaking, its not the QB running that is going to beat you. Especially when we have an offense that can actually score points.

NightTerror218
11-08-2012, 02:50 PM
yeah, they do. But I'm not worried about a running QB beating us with his legs. Sure, they can make a play here and there, but generally speaking, its not the QB running that is going to beat you. Especially when we have an offense that can actually score points.

combine that with their RBs could be a mean ground and pound that would keep manning off the field. Their OC sucks or Cam sucks and audibles out of running plays but Williams and Steward are wasting away getting 10-15 combined carries a game.

Ravage!!!
11-08-2012, 03:20 PM
combine that with their RBs could be a mean ground and pound that would keep manning off the field. Their OC sucks or Cam sucks and audibles out of running plays but Williams and Steward are wasting away getting 10-15 combined carries a game.

Seems they got a lot of carries before Cam. I'm not worried about them having a running attack that will keep Manning off the field long enough. Every team in the NFL has tried (over the years) to "keep Manning off the field" with the running game. Thats always been the idea....but it rarely works out that way. Manning can score quickly and take a team down the field.

Look at our team last year with the "top running game" and a running QB. We couldn't score points. This is why I'm not worried about a running QB "beating us." Sure, they will make plays, but there is a reason teams want their QBs to throw and not run all the time.

I'm also taking the opinion of Bill Belicheck that stated as much on the radio the other day when asked about this.

NightTerror218
11-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Seems they got a lot of carries before Cam. I'm not worried about them having a running attack that will keep Manning off the field long enough. Every team in the NFL has tried (over the years) to "keep Manning off the field" with the running game. Thats always been the idea....but it rarely works out that way. Manning can score quickly and take a team down the field.

Look at our team last year with the "top running game" and a running QB. We couldn't score points. This is why I'm not worried about a running QB "beating us." Sure, they will make plays, but there is a reason teams want their QBs to throw and not run all the time.

I'm also taking the opinion of Bill Belicheck that stated as much on the radio the other day when asked about this.

We also did not have a QB last year who is decently accurate who can throw it up for a All Pro receiver to win. Smith is great even when aging. he fights for the ball and is very physical. Carolina has a great trio of RBs and then a mobile QB who scores a lot of TDs also.

Last year we also were on the field a lot more and the opposing teams did not score very much either in the games we won. Low scoring game in general. We tended to own the time of possession and our defense did amazing even when offense all they did was eat up a lot of time and punt.

Williams/Cam/Stewart basically all 3 split carries with about 60 apiece and Cam is the teams leader rusher.

Chef Zambini
11-08-2012, 05:58 PM
yeah, they do. But I'm not worried about a running QB beating us with his legs. Sure, they can make a play here and there, but generally speaking, its not the QB running that is going to beat you. Especially when we have an offense that can actually score points.third and 3 to third and 12;
a running QB like caM CONCERNS ME AND IT DAMN WELL SHOULD CONCERN OUR DEFENSIVE GAMEPLAN !

Chef Zambini
11-08-2012, 05:59 PM
red zone cam newton can score with arm or legs !

Chef Zambini
11-08-2012, 06:02 PM
let me remind all of you that last week our longest scoring play in the teams 50+ year history is all that seperated us from a tie game with cincy!

so take a chill pill on the confidence people !

Chef Zambini
11-08-2012, 06:09 PM

I'm also taking the opinion of Bill Belicheck that stated as much on the radio the other day when asked about this.with all due respect...
cam is BIGGER, stronger and FASTER than ANY of our linebackers and safeties.
he might be FASTER than ANY defender we have, and bigger than all our defenders except maybe a handful of d linemen and VON.
I believe VON shoild SPY_CAM !
but not on every play, definatly on most third downs!
in every game a defense looks to take away the run game, CAM is the carolina run game, you cant just think of him as a running QB, he LEADS his team in rushing yards, 2 years in a row. it would be THREE but he has only played TWO years !

NightTerror218
11-08-2012, 06:16 PM
This is a game where Mays would have been useful to lay into Cam and teach him to slide or run less.

Ravage!!!
11-08-2012, 06:46 PM
with all due respect...
cam is BIGGER, stronger and FASTER than ANY of our linebackers and safeties.
he might be FASTER than ANY defender we have, and bigger than all our defenders except maybe a handful of d linemen and VON.
I believe VON shoild SPY_CAM !
but not on every play, definatly on most third downs!
in every game a defense looks to take away the run game, CAM is the carolina run game, you cant just think of him as a running QB, he LEADS his team in rushing yards, 2 years in a row. it would be THREE but he has only played TWO years !

I don't care that he leads the team in rushing. I'm not saying we shouldn't do what any team does when playing him, and work to keep him IN the pocket. What I'm saying is, that him beating us with his legs is not my biggest concern. If we can keep a team from throwing the ball on us, and keep his "big" plays to a minimum... then a rushing QB is not something that will beat you on his own.

There is a reason that QBs that aren't good passers don't make it to the Super Bowl. Cam had a record setting rookie season last year. How many games did they win?

He's not someone that is going to win the game on his own. He's going to have to throw the ball in order to beat our team, and I don't think he is good enough to do it.

Ravage!!!
11-08-2012, 06:49 PM
We also did not have a QB last year who is decently accurate who can throw it up for a All Pro receiver to win. Smith is great even when aging. he fights for the ball and is very physical. Carolina has a great trio of RBs and then a mobile QB who scores a lot of TDs also.

Last year we also were on the field a lot more and the opposing teams did not score very much either in the games we won. Low scoring game in general. We tended to own the time of possession and our defense did amazing even when offense all they did was eat up a lot of time and punt.

Williams/Cam/Stewart basically all 3 split carries with about 60 apiece and Cam is the teams leader rusher.

I don't get what you are saying. I'm saying Cam is not a good passer, and I"m saying we DO score this year compared to last. I have no idea what your point is with your post.

Correct. we didn't ahve a QB that could score last year, this year we do. Which means a QB like Newton isn't going to simply "eat the clock" away from Manning for enough minutes to "keep the ball out of Manning's hands." People have been trying that tactic for over a decade, and you don't beat Manning with a running QB. You have to outscore Manning. That, or get a lot of turnovers that give you short fields.

Chef Zambini
11-08-2012, 06:53 PM
I don't care that he leads the team in rushing. I'm not saying we shouldn't do what any team does when playing him, and work to keep him IN the pocket. What I'm saying is, that him beating us with his legs is not my biggest concern. If we can keep a team from throwing the ball on us, and keep his "big" plays to a minimum... then a rushing QB is not something that will beat you on his own.

There is a reason that QBs that aren't good passers don't make it to the Super Bowl. Cam had a record setting rookie season last year. How many games did they win?

He's not someone that is going to win the game on his own. He's going to have to throw the ball in order to beat our team, and I don't think he is good enough to do it.respectfully I agree.

you made my point!

he cant beat us with his arm, therefore you protect against his ability to RUN and keep a drive alive !
do you think we should use a SPY?
if so who?

NightTerror218
11-08-2012, 06:58 PM
I don't get what you are saying. I'm saying Cam is not a good passer, and I"m saying we DO score this year compared to last. I have no idea what your point is with your post.

Correct. we didn't ahve a QB that could score last year, this year we do. Which means a QB like Newton isn't going to simply "eat the clock" away from Manning for enough minutes to "keep the ball out of Manning's hands." People have been trying that tactic for over a decade, and you don't beat Manning with a running QB. You have to outscore Manning. That, or get a lot of turnovers that give you short fields.

what I am saying is that Cam is better then Tebow and can score. Also their offense can also be very run heavy and eat a lot of time. Last season we killed a lot of time off the clock and yet had a ton of 3 and outs but the time of possession still had us favored in that aspect. This season they have not been running the ball very much at all compared to last several years. They can be a really good offense. What I am saying is that running QBs typically have sucked ass in the past. They seem to be surviving ATM in the NFL. Cam is one that can beat you with arm and legs. He can use his legs to pick up 3rd downs and score in red zone. The think about trying to keep Manning on the sideline is that you have to be able to score because you know he will. So the ground and pound will eat up clock and give Manning less time on the field to run up score.

Ravage!!!
11-08-2012, 07:03 PM
respectfully I agree.

you made my point!

he cant beat us with his arm, therefore you protect against his ability to RUN and keep a drive alive !
do you think we should use a SPY?
if so who?

I think you spy him (and yes, I actually liked the spy-cam comment you made, I'll give you props on that one). I think you have to go with the fastest, but.... that would put woodyard in the middle of the field (since Cam can choose to run left or right)... and I dont think you can do that. Would have to be the MLB on pass plays. But on 3rd and long, maybe you go with a strong safety instead. I don't know. I think Brooking has the smarts to read and play spy. Does that experience give him a jump to make up for speed? Don't know. Would be a good place for DJ.

I heard your concerns about his size, and obviously that is true. But the tackler takes good angles, slows him down and grabs on.. and then waits for help. Taking the right angles and make him have to change directions will slow him down enough to keep from going long.

Ravage!!!
11-08-2012, 07:06 PM
what I am saying is that Cam is better then Tebow and can score. Also their offense can also be very run heavy and eat a lot of time. Last season we killed a lot of time off the clock and yet had a ton of 3 and outs but the time of possession still had us favored in that aspect. This season they have not been running the ball very much at all compared to last several years. They can be a really good offense. What I am saying is that running QBs typically have sucked ass in the past. They seem to be surviving ATM in the NFL. Cam is one that can beat you with arm and legs. He can use his legs to pick up 3rd downs and score in red zone. The think about trying to keep Manning on the sideline is that you have to be able to score because you know he will. So the ground and pound will eat up clock and give Manning less time on the field to run up score.

Yes, I'm familiar with the idea behind the ground-n-pound to keep Manning less time and on the sidelines. But I'm not sure where you see that the running QBs are surviving in the NFL right now. Who? Are you talking "running QBs" .. or mobile QBs? I think Cam is showing to be more of a runner, than just mobile. I'm not really worried about him passing to beat us.. thus, his legs aren't my BIGGEST worries.

NightTerror218
11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Yes, I'm familiar with the idea behind the ground-n-pound to keep Manning less time and on the sidelines. But I'm not sure where you see that the running QBs are surviving in the NFL right now. Who? Are you talking "running QBs" .. or mobile QBs? I think Cam is showing to be more of a runner, than just mobile. I'm not really worried about him passing to beat us.. thus, his legs aren't my BIGGEST worries.

Mobile QBs, Cam, RGIII, Wilson and Rodgers are 3 that can easily run to extend plays or get 3rd downs. Cam and RGIII are more of dual threat and have had success in NFL as that so far. His legs are my biggest worries cause once defense bite on it he could get a big deep pass on us. But if they can rush 200+ on use we could be in trouble cause they have several RBs that can score on defenses IF they are given carries.

Ravage!!!
11-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Mobile QBs, Cam, RGIII, Wilson and Rodgers are 3 that can easily run to extend plays or get 3rd downs. Cam and RGIII are more of dual threat and have had success in NFL as that so far. His legs are my biggest worries cause once defense bite on it he could get a big deep pass on us. But if they can rush 200+ on use we could be in trouble cause they have several RBs that can score on defenses IF they are given carries.

Mobile QBs.... I can name more than that in the NFL than the ones you just listed, but of the ones you listed, how many have a winning record?

Cam didn't have a winning record last year, even after setting records, and this year he's looked worse. Thats my point. My biggest concern isn't his legs....because if that's what they are relying on to get yardarge, then I'll take that every day of the week.

NightTerror218
11-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Mobile QBs.... I can name more than that in the NFL than the ones you just listed, but of the ones you listed, how many have a winning record?

Cam didn't have a winning record last year, even after setting records, and this year he's looked worse. Thats my point. My biggest concern isn't his legs....because if that's what they are relying on to get yardarge, then I'll take that every day of the week.

A lot of the problem is the defense. But the fact that Carolina has lost half its games but under 6 points. Lost to ATL but 2, lost to Chi by 1, lost to Dallas by 5, lost to seattle by 4 and lost to TB by 6. There were blown out in 1 game and that was to Giants. A lot of those games were because of mistakes by Cam that lost them the game, like a costly turnover in the 4th quarter.

Chef Zambini
11-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Mobile QBs, Cam, RGIII, Wilson and Rodgers are 3 that can easily run to extend plays or get 3rd downs. Cam and RGIII are more of dual threat and have had success in NFL as that so far. His legs are my biggest worries cause once defense bite on it he could get a big deep pass on us. But if they can rush 200+ on use we could be in trouble cause they have several RBs that can score on defenses IF they are given carries.a legitimate duo threat !
rogers is more than mobile, he is a potent RUNNING qb, but far more deadly as a PASSER.
wilson very much the duo threat QB.
like RGIII
and CAM
but of these, Cam seems to be the less pass competent.
more deadly as a runner than a passer, thats why you have to take away his running first. it may not be a 70 yard pass, but he can get those same 70 runs on 4 or 5 good running plays.

MOtorboat
11-09-2012, 12:24 AM
a legitimate duo threat !
rogers is more than mobile, he is a potent RUNNING qb, but far more deadly as a PASSER.
wilson very much the duo threat QB.
like RGIII
and CAM
but of these, Cam seems to be the less pass competent.
more deadly as a runner than a passer, thats why you have to take away his running first. it may not be a 70 yard pass, but he can get those same 70 runs on 4 or 5 good running plays.

Dual.

Chef Zambini
11-09-2012, 12:56 AM
duel?
dewel?
duet?
do it ?
do what?
spell it right or we will pretend like we dont understand.
doh it !

MOtorboat
11-09-2012, 12:59 AM
duel?
dewel?
duet?
do it ?
do what?
spell it right or we will pretend like we dont understand.
doh it !

Correct spelling and grammar actually helps other people comprehend the message in your post.

iLands
11-09-2012, 04:19 AM
I have a feeling we'll see Irving this game.

Call it a hunch.

Chef Zambini
11-09-2012, 10:43 AM
sounds like a hunch.

do you think we will see more of hillman?
is he your hunch back?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-09-2012, 05:01 PM

They're also averaging less than 4ypc. They're QB is their leading rusher.

NightTerror218
11-09-2012, 05:47 PM
They're also averaging less than 4ypc. They're QB is their leading rusher.

you have to get carries in order to get yards. Look at Carolinas last game. They finally gave Williams more carries and he had more ypc due to more carries and get a couple break aways (30 yard TD).

ShaneFalco
11-09-2012, 07:23 PM
5 Sacks for Von

Dean
11-11-2012, 04:51 PM
The Broncos didn't need to spy. Neither Cam nor their offense looked really good. The Broncos D just laid their ears back and came like their hair was on fire. What a second half!

MOtorboat
11-11-2012, 04:58 PM
The Broncos didn't need to spy. Neither Cam nor their offense looked really good. The Broncos D just laid their ears back and came like their hair was on fire. What a second half!

They did spy though. Miller's sack came on a play when he was spying, Newton scrambled and Miller attacked.

Rick
11-11-2012, 05:13 PM
4 carries for 7 yards, 7 times sacked.

I would say containment worked.

I was actually a little bit worried about this game. I felt we would win but I was worried about the defense staying disciplined against a mobile QB.

Job well done.