PDA

View Full Version : Tony Carter statistically toughest CB in the NFL to complete a pass against in 2012, Harris close behind

BroncoWave
11-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Granted these guys don't cover #1 WRs but they have still been very impressive for us, especially from being undrafted.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/undrafted-cbs-broncos-porter-afterthought-213537580--nfl.html

Combined, Chris Harris and Tony Carter have allowed just 23 completions in 59 attempts, and Carter is the toughest cornerback in the NFL to complete a pass against, according to STATS LLC.

Moving into the starting lineup opposite Champ Bailey, Harris has allowed only 16 completions in 34 passes thrown his way, and he's broken up a half-dozen throws.

Carter, who is playing in both the nickel and dime packages, is allowing a league-low completion percentage of just 28 (7 receptions in 25 attempts) among the league's 103 cornerbacks and who have been targeted at least 15 times.

Just as impressively, Carter has broken up as many passes as catches he's allowed.
''That's my first time hearing that,'' Carter said. ''That's a good thing. I can go home and tell my mom about that.'

SR
11-06-2012, 07:25 PM
The kids are playing lights out ball. They've been really impressive so far and have a real nose for the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Army Bronco
11-06-2012, 07:44 PM
The kids are playing lights out ball. They've been really impressive so far and have a real nose for the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner And you know they are getting alot of balls thrown their way to avoid Champ

camdisco24
11-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Personally, I like the rotation we have at CB. I think the loss of Porter ended up being beneficial. (Of course, I don't wish his health issues on any person)

Buff
11-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Probably the biggest surprise of the season has been the play of Chris Harris and Tony Carter. I can't remember the last time I felt this confident about our secondary.

SR
11-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Probably the biggest surprise of the season has been the play of Chris Harris and Tony Carter. I can't remember the last time I felt this confident about our secondary.

Also I would like to point out that the stronger corner play as a collective unit has also taken some of the burden off of the safeties. Moore and Brown have been playing very well.

DenBronx
11-06-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm impressed with our secondary this year.

Chris Harris is going to be a pro bowler soon....mark it down.

TXBRONC
11-07-2012, 10:49 AM
I wonder how Harris and Carter went undrafted and most especially Harris because he has develop so quickly?

G_Money
11-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I remember Harris playing both CB and safety in college (I think it was injuries/lack of execution) so I assume he dropped out of the draft as a guy thought to be a tweener - somebody who couldn't cover like a corner but didn't have the size you might want from a safety.

That was very obviously an incorrect assessment. He was one of my favorite players in training camp last year and I was thrilled we weren't dumb enough to let him go... and now he's not going anywhere. Still reminds me of Braxton, and I could see him playing his first handful of years at CB and moving to cover safety pretty easily, but we'll see. Right now he's mine, alllll mine...

Tony Carter, OTOH, has been a complete revelation to me. He looks like a prototypical #2 corner with great hands and instincts, AND pretty sure tackling. He had a bit of an injury problem with us his first year, bounced around to a couple of other teams, and then just... exploded on the scene this year. He's not a guy I would have bet would have been able to handle playing opposite Champ. I guess it's just a size thing with Tony, and it took him a couple of years to adjust to playing NFL-sized receivers.

He's playing GREAT right now though. :salute: And I think Ron Milus and Sam Games have to get some credit for these undrafted-yet-excellent performers the last coupla years. It's been a while since I was really impressed with a DB coach, but whatever we're teaching the corners seems to be working.

Hopefully we can get Moore performing at the same level - then look out.

~G

GEM
11-07-2012, 11:43 AM
I love, love, love Harris. He has been a dynamic addition since he got here, going to be fun to watch him grow. I really like Carter's aggressiveness. It might not always pay off, but when it does it seems to be at key times.

Chef Zambini
11-07-2012, 12:51 PM
And you know they are getting alot of balls thrown their way to avoid Champpath of least resistance.
as THIS season progresses, more QBs will be testing champ, especially if he is locked on to their best receiver/ favorite target.
this week, champ on smith;
he will be tested.

SR
11-07-2012, 01:45 PM
path of least resistance.
as THIS season progresses, more QBs will be testing champ, especially if he is locked on to their best receiver/ favorite target.
this week, champ on smith;
he will be tested.

You think CAM NEWTON has the marbles to throw at Champ? I don't. Not with the kind of year he's having.

LTC Pain
11-07-2012, 01:54 PM
I like that Harris and Carter play agressive "sticky" defense. Hope JDR coaches all our CBs to do this. Nothing more annoying than the opposing QB repititiously taking advantage of a timid cushion.

G_Money
11-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I will never, ever forget the 10-15 yard Slowik Cushion (tm) that we got Prison Shower Scened with at the ends of games. Dude, they're throwing short - CLOSE THE GAP! Sheesh. :tsk:

So far, I like the aggressive play, and our guys aren't biting on double moves either. It's been an impressive showing the last coupla weeks.

~G

NightTerror218
11-07-2012, 03:12 PM
You think CAM NEWTON has the marbles to throw at Champ? I don't. Not with the kind of year he's having.

I think he will throw at Champ as long as Champ is on Smith. He has no other target he likes. All you have to do i rattle Cam's ego and the game is as good as won.

SR
11-07-2012, 03:13 PM
I think he will throw at Champ as long as Champ is on Smith. He has no other target he likes. All you have to do i rattle Cam's ego and the game is as good as won.

I don't think Newton has the stones to throw at Champ whether he's on smith, LaFell, or whoever. But let's hope he does throw at Champ and let's hope Champ makes him pay.

NightTerror218
11-07-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't think Newton has the stones to throw at Champ whether he's on smith, LaFell, or whoever. But let's hope he does throw at Champ and let's hope Champ makes him pay.

Cam locks onto Smith and targets him a lot. most of cam yards go to him. I dont think Cam is start enough to not avoid Champ if on Smith. cam has a big ego and things he can do anything, that would include throwing to where Smith is.

GEM
11-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Smith has just as big of an ego as Cam....so bring it, chumps!!

I said it last week....keep throwing on Champ young one. :laugh: Sure 'nuff....interception. :D

bcbronc
11-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Let's be fair though, 95% of the credit for that pick goes to Robert Ayers.

swaiy
11-07-2012, 04:45 PM
To be fair, Steve Smith and Greg Olsen are Cam's only legitimate targets. He would be stupid not to throw at Champ. Smith aint gonna win any jump balls but for a reciever getting up there in age, he is still fast.

NightTerror218
11-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I just hope we do not miss tackles on Cam in the backfield and then he runs for 20 yards.

Ravage!!!
11-07-2012, 06:29 PM
I just hope we do not miss tackles on Cam in the backfield and then he runs for 20 yards.

I'll take the chances of Cam beating us with his legs 99.9% of all games. If that's what they have to rely on get yards, then we are going to be more than ok.

smith49
11-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Let's be fair though, 95% of the credit for that pick goes to Robert Ayers.

Maybe, but I think champ had good coverage on green on that play. If you watch it from the back side you will see that champ was right with green step for step on that play.

In fact, the only play I think champ got really toasted on was the TD. Green faked the in route and champ bit. It happens. I still think champ is top 3 or maybe top 2 CB in nfl.

But to your pointe, ya the D line definitely effected big red by hitting him just before he released the ball forcing an underthrow.

swaiy
11-07-2012, 07:23 PM
I wonder what Carolina offense shows up on Sunday. In an effort to probably save their jobs, Rivera & Co. have switched back to a more traditional offense.

They sprinkled in the read option a little but for the most part, it was traditional.

If they do go with the read option, you'd think the Broncos D would have a little experience with that *cough*Tebow*cough*.

All they need is to get one interception out of Cam to begin his implosion.

NightTerror218
11-07-2012, 07:41 PM
I wonder what Carolina offense shows up on Sunday. In an effort to probably save their jobs, Rivera & Co. have switched back to a more traditional offense.

They sprinkled in the read option a little but for the most part, it was traditional.

If they do go with the read option, you'd think the Broncos D would have a little experience with that *cough*Tebow*cough*.

All they need is to get one interception out of Cam to begin his implosion.

They go to the ground and pound I think that is the only way to beat up. Get yards like Ridley/Woodhead did.

DenBronx
11-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I wonder how Harris and Carter went undrafted and most especially Harris because he has develop so quickly?

I don't know but lucky for the Broncos no one else took him. Harris and his wife attend my uncles church....he's a really good kid with high character and will only get better as a player.

Chef Zambini
11-08-2012, 03:08 AM
To be fair, Steve Smith and Greg Olsen are Cam's only legitimate targets. He would be stupid not to throw at Champ. Smith aint gonna win any jump balls but for a reciever getting up there in age, he is still fast.smith catches balls like charles barkley got rebounds !

broncofaninfla
11-08-2012, 03:03 PM
I've been following Carter since his college days at FSU. I try to make all of their home games and do for the most part. Carter was a stud player at FSU and only seemed to get better. I was estatic when we got him but my initial impression as a pro wasn't very optimistic. Kudo's to the Broncos brass for not only siging him but for developing him into a solid corner. He has grown immensely as a player and stands to get even better. I'm very happy with Carter and Harris and feel both can be even better.

Ravage!!!
11-08-2012, 03:23 PM
They go to the ground and pound I think that is the only way to beat up. Get yards like Ridley/Woodhead did.

There is a large difference. The Patriots have Tom Brady, whom can beat you on a regular basis with the pass. Cam isn't that guy. YOu play defense completely different against Cam and their offense than you do the Patriots. We can crowd the LoS and play more man-up on carolina, forcing them to try and beat us with the pass. Don't play the Patriots that way.

Chef Zambini
11-08-2012, 05:48 PM
There is a large difference. The Patriots have Tom Brady, whom can beat you on a regular basis with the pass. Cam isn't that guy. YOu play defense completely different against Cam and their offense than you do the Patriots. We can crowd the LoS and play more man-up on carolina, forcing them to try and beat us with the pass. Don't play the Patriots that way.well duh.
brady is not a threat to run. we have to respect and prepare for CAMs ability to run.

and unlike TT we have to respoect cams abilioty to throw the ball too.
FOX and JDR want to win this game, i feel pretty good about our D
I am concerned about champ getting a 1 on 1 assignment on smith.
cam and smith want to test the reputation/ respect/ reality that is the current champ baily.

Ravage!!!
11-08-2012, 07:12 PM
well duh.
brady is not a threat to run. we have to respect and prepare for CAMs ability to run.

cam and smith want to test the reputation/ respect/ reality that is the current champ baily.

Well, duh.. .the post I made was why this is different than woodhead and ridley against us. We play a completely different philosophy on defense when playing Brady than you do Cam, and its not a defense that will keep our defenders out o fhte box. The panthers wont run on us like the Patriots were able to... AND.. the NFL is keeping an eye on the illegal no-huddle offense as well (:D)

As far as Smith, I'm not worried about that at all. Champ has been shutting down EVERYONE he's matched up this year before Cinci. He did't have the speed to keep up with Green, but Smith isn't Green at this stage of the game. Champ won't have a problem, just as he hasn't every other game.

SR
11-08-2012, 07:36 PM
well duh.

Fox and Del Rio want to win this game? Ya don't say!

Chef Zambini
11-08-2012, 11:43 PM
if escher were alive he would resent you using one of his drawings.

SR
11-09-2012, 06:16 AM
if escher were alive he would resent you using one of his drawings.

Considering not many people know Escher, I like to think that he would say, "Thank you, James, for showing my art and being a fan of mine".

Chef Zambini
11-09-2012, 10:33 AM
well you would be wrong, he woulod say, zam has been an escher fan since the 70's and you should stop acting like a richard !
BTW, what is your favorite escher image?

Chef Zambini
11-09-2012, 10:39 AM
reptiles.

SR
11-09-2012, 10:46 AM
well you would be wrong, he woulod say, zam has been an escher fan since the 70's and you should stop acting like a richard !
BTW, what is your favorite escher image?

To that I would reply "Zam is a bitter, sad old man so let him win this one"

atwater27
11-10-2012, 09:47 PM
I will have to say, seeing Carter and Harris not only holding their own, but being consistent playmakers and drive stoppers is the biggest surprise of the season so far. I am not sure if it is more the scheme and coaching or the players themselves, but either way it is refreshing to see players besides Champ excelling in the defensive backfield.

sneakers
11-11-2012, 07:16 AM
A good pass rush makes the DB's look like superstars too!

atwater27
11-11-2012, 10:35 AM
A good pass rush makes the DB's look like superstars too!

That is the magic elixir for instant defensive improvement. A shame it has taken broncos brass so long to figure that out.

Chef Zambini
11-11-2012, 10:41 AM
.. and great coverage takes away quick reads and throws, leading to more sacks, as well as disguised fronts and coverages.
it all works together! thats why a sack is really a TEANM accomplishment, and no reason for a singular player to be dancing around saying 'look at me everybody' i am special, more special than my teammates.

SR
11-11-2012, 12:36 PM
.. and great coverage takes away quick reads and throws, leading to more sacks, as well as disguised fronts and coverages.
it all works together! thats why a sack is really a TEANM accomplishment, and no reason for a singular player to be dancing around saying 'look at me everybody' i am special, more special than my teammates.

Champ Bailey as a CORNER provides that great coverage. He takes away half of the field 95% of the time which limits the QB's options which leads to sacks. Genius.

OrangeHoof
11-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Another Pick 6 for Carter. Let's keep him around awhile longer.

SR
11-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Another Pick 6 for Carter. Let's keep him around awhile longer.

The kid is a baller and a half

bcbronc
11-11-2012, 08:23 PM
too bad he's not a little bit taller.

SR
11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
too bad he's not a little bit taller.

With a rabbit and a hat and a 6-4 Impala?

Day1BroncoFan
11-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Protest the ban on dancing! Von is footloose!