View Full Version : Broncos' defense off to promising start

TXBRONC
11-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Broncos' defense off to promising start
Posted: 11/05/2012 10:46:00 PM MST
Updated: 11/05/2012 10:46:25 PM MST
November 6, 2012 5:46 AM GMT
By Mike Klis

Early this season, the Broncos were atrocious at stopping teams on third down. Remember? It's easy to forget, because the Broncos' defense has gone from among the worst in the league at stopping opponents on third down to one of the best.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos?source=Subnav_Sports_Broncos

The defense has come along way but the scary thing is they can be even better.

Dapper Dan
11-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I had a defensive question and figured I'd find a defense thread to stick it into.

I keep noticing Woodyard always talking to Del Rio. Also, when they're in a defensive huddle, it looks like Woodyard calling the plays.

Am I seeing it wrong or is Woodyard playing the "leader" role of the MLB since he's been here a lot longer than Brooking?

NightTerror218
11-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I had a defensive question and figured I'd find a defense thread to stick it into.

I keep noticing Woodyard always talking to Del Rio. Also, when they're in a defensive huddle, it looks like Woodyard calling the plays.

Am I seeing it wrong or is Woodyard playing the "leader" role of the MLB since he's been here a lot longer than Brooking?

he has the headset in his helmet. I noticed that green sticker several games ago. I think he is given the defensive plays from DC. If there are any audibles I do not know who calls them.

slim
11-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Yep, Woody is the QB of the defense. I think he took over when Mays got benched.

It's one of the reasons DJ will not be taking his spot.

rationalfan
11-12-2012, 03:07 PM

i'm assuming it's because woodyard is more of a three-down player (at this point) than brookings. since you can only have one "green" helmet on the defense you don't want the guy who's playing two downs to wear it.

plus, i could be remembering this wrong, but i believe woodyard is a former special teams captain; meaning he's familiar with the leadership and the guys respect him in that role.

also; i gotta admit, woodyard is playing SO much better this year than i expected him to. i'll eat crow on that.