PDA

View Full Version : Broncos LB D.J. Williams Q+A: The full interview

MOtorboat
11-02-2012, 07:28 PM
http://milehighsports.com/2012/11/02/broncos-linebacker-d-j-williams-qa-full-interview/

Broncos LB D.J. Williams Q+A: The full interview

Mile High Sports’ Chris Bianchi sat down with the talented-but-troubled D.J. Williams on Thursday night for his first public interview in two years. For the column accompanying the Q+A, please click here.

Have you talked to your teammates while you’ve been out?

Champ (Bailey) is probably the guy that I’m closest with on the team. We text back and forth after games. He would ask me what it looked like from an outside perspective.

What’s been the toughest part about being gone?

To watch the games, and see your team not being successful, you feel that you could probably help them in certain situations or you blame yourself. There’s always the ‘If I was there, what would have happened.’ That’s not to say the guys there weren’t adequate enough; it’s just that you want to be a part of it. You want to help out.

Nomad
11-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Well DJ, you're the only one that can right the ship when it comes to your actions and contributing to the BRONCOS on and off the field. It's all about the BRONCOS W on gamedays.

MOtorboat
11-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Well DJ, you're the only one that can right the ship when it comes to your actions and contributing to the BRONCOS on and off the field. It's all about the BRONCOS W on gamedays.

Did you read the interview, or just the excerpt I'm allowed to post?

Nomad
11-02-2012, 08:19 PM
What am I allowed to say, MO, according to your standards? Yes, I read the interview.

MOtorboat
11-02-2012, 08:24 PM
What am I allowed to say, MO, according to your standards? Yes, I read the interview.

No, fair enough. I don't think a lot of people will actually read it. Why I asked. Personally, it completely changed my perspective of him.

Nomad
11-02-2012, 08:28 PM
No, fair enough. I don't think a lot of people will actually read it. Why I asked. Personally, it completely changed my perspective of him.

Sorry, MO, I took your post wrong.

I'm all for a DJ comeback as long as he contributes to a BRONCOS W and is the best at his position. We all have demons and aren't perfect and have regrets, I'm living proof. I hope Buddism helps him.

rationalfan
11-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Great interview. Sadly, I don't think it will change too many people's minds about DJ. still one of the most misunderstood, under appreciated broncos.

Ravage!!!
11-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Great article, and people should read. But it won't change their minds. It's the most candid interview I've read on DJ, and to me, it was refreshing.

Some of the idiots on here will still come him "dumb"..they will still call him "unintelligent".. and have absolutely no clue, but will base their judgement because he made a mistake and they think they are beyond making mistakes.

Glad he's in such great shape. I personally will be glad for him to be back on the team. But, considering Champ texts him after the games, and he's good friends with Rod Smith and all...... I'm guessing the locker room thinks of him as a 'cancer.'

Chef Zambini
11-03-2012, 12:34 PM
first, i read the entire interview, it was important for me t hear DJs perspective.
I liked DJ since he was a rookie. I reccognized all the changes he endured.
I always appreciated his play on the field.
I knew NOTHING of the man inside the uniform.
DJ is human. but he is n ot a kid and he has a responsability as a member of the broncos.
I read where he talks about HONESTY as the most important thing.
I have no doubt he must be thinking aboiut HONEST reporting about him.
"honesty"
this from a guy who turns in animal urine for hs drug test.
DJ needs to be honest with himself, and stop playing the role of victim !

I hope he can contribute on the field.
I hope he can achieve some good kharma off it.

best wishes DJ, its your responsability, mr. second chance millionaire.

Northman
11-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Talk is cheap, ive heard these kinds of songs and dances before. Lets see if he backs it all up.

Nomad
11-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Talk is cheap, ive heard these kinds of songs and dances before. Lets see if he backs it all up.

Word!

rationalfan
11-03-2012, 12:47 PM

What? This wasnt about his play, it wasn't a mea culpa. It's about his perspective, a way for us to understand a bronco who rarely shares himself to the fans.

Northman
11-03-2012, 12:50 PM
What? This wasnt about his play, it wasn't a mea culpa. It's about his perspective, a way for us to understand a bronco who rarely shares himself to the fans.

Yes, your right. He's an angel. So misunderstood.

MOtorboat
11-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Yes, your right. He's an angel. So misunderstood.

Not what he said at all. And not what Williams said at all, either.

Northman
11-03-2012, 01:16 PM

I really dont care about some fluff piece/interview with DJ MO. I really dont. Dude is trying to save some face because he knows his reputation has taken a hit. You want to buy all in on it feel free. Ill wait until i can see that he is reliable to the team and doesnt continue to act like a jackass off the field. I dont care about his perspective because its all talk to me. Actions speak louder than words and he can say this or that it means nothing until we see him clean up his act. Thats MY point.

MOtorboat
11-03-2012, 01:20 PM
I really dont care about some fluff piece/interview with DJ MO. I really dont. Dude is trying to save some face because he knows his reputation has taken a hit. You want to buy all in on it feel free. Ill wait until i can see that he is reliable to the team and doesnt continue to act like a jackass off the field. I dont care about his perspective because its all talk to me. Actions speak louder than words and he can say this or that it means nothing until we see him clean up his act. Thats MY point.

I guess it is easier to lob baseless personal attacks at players who screwed up than it is to give them a second chance. I should know that by now, but, I guess I don't.

Northman
11-03-2012, 01:25 PM
I guess it is easier to lob baseless personal attacks at players who screwed up than it is to give them a second chance. I should know that by now, but, I guess I don't.

It doesnt matter if i give him a second chance MO. I have no control on his career or anything else, plus its up to him to right the ship in his life. Im not obligated to give a pass to people and quite frankly, its not asking much to want someone to prove it via actions rather than words. How many times did we see Marshall say the same things over a course of 3-4 years only to do the same stupid shit? If DJ comes in and acts like a professional, cleans up his off the field shit than good for him and good for the team. But im not obligated to give the guy a pass on anything. Im a fan of the team and when someone hurts the team they receive my wrath verbally on a forum designed for that. Why do you care what i think about DJ anyway? If you love the guy shouldnt that be enough?

tomjonesrocks
11-03-2012, 01:31 PM
I read the whole thing and it's interesting and did humanize him. But, he declined to add anything new to the facts regarding the DUI and synthetic urine "mistakes". If he was taking performance enhancers, then he should be banned for life. If he was smoking weed, it's stupid--but I don't understand frankly why the NFL won't just let these guys do that. Marijuana? C'mon. Anyway it's all bad for the team and rules are rules so he deserves to lose the $3M -- but I wish I had more facts on the drug test.

The "I can't win with the media" stuff--cry me a river D.J. Props for learning your lesson and hiring a car when you're drinking though. If I was rich I'd never drive my car anytime to a club. Who wants to? Don't get it with that shit with these guys at all. I hate having to be paranoid about that when I'm out. He probably has a point if he took heat for not being in Denver during the theater shootings though. Why does he have to be there to weigh in on that?

Anyway my scattered comments reflect that at the end of the day the article "didn't completely change" any of my perceptions about the guy. He doesn't have to be warm and fuzzy but his missteps were easily avoided. If you're going to **** up that badly you might have to make an extra effort with the media. Bad decisions have bad consequences--doesn't mean you are getting a raw deal. And I'd have liked to have read something more along the lines of "I know how lucky I am" somewhere if he wants us to see his side better.

Ravage!!!
11-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I read the whole thing and it's interesting and did humanize him. But, he declined to add anything new to the facts regarding the DUI and synthetic urine "mistakes". If he was taking performance enhancers, then he should be banned for life. If he was smoking weed, it's stupid--but I don't understand frankly why the NFL won't just let these guys do that. Marijuana? C'mon. Anyway it's all bad for the team and rules are rules so he deserves to lose the $3M -- but I wish I had more facts on the drug test.

Wait, what? You think PED's require a ban for life, but an illegal drug is ok?

Anyway my scattered comments reflect that at the end of the day the article "didn't completely change" any of my perceptions about the guy. He doesn't have to be warm and fuzzy but his missteps were easily avoided. If you're going to **** up that badly you might have to make an extra effort with the media. Bad decisions have bad consequences--doesn't mean you are getting a raw deal. And I'd have liked to have read something more along the lines of "I know how lucky I am" somewhere if he wants us to see his side better.

I think DJ knows who he is, and who his friends are, and thats all he cares about. I think thats what he said throughout the article, and made it pretty clear that he gets that the media needs stories, but in the end, he won't "strive" to be more media friendly.

shank
11-03-2012, 02:19 PM
sorry for partying

Hawgdriver
11-03-2012, 03:32 PM
I read about half of it. It is fluff. But, DJ makes a point. He's served his punishment. For me, that's good enough. Clean slate when he comes back. What's done is done. And even though there is no point in holding a grudge against him, because his mistakes may have cost the team in the W column, you could understand why someone would feel that way.

Now, he just has to deliver, stay clean and out of trouble, help win championships, and it's all good.

TXBRONC
11-03-2012, 04:52 PM
He gets a clean slate which is fine. If he has to work back into the starting line up that's fine and I think that would be right thing do.
The best way for him to rehibiltate himself is work hard and don't complain. I'm pretty sure that is what he'll do.

rationalfan
11-03-2012, 05:34 PM

First, this isn't a fluff piece. Quite the opposite.

Second, this is the first time DJ has given voice to a variety of issues. That's not saving face, that's providing an argument.

Third, you're right, DJ has to perform on the field. But HE SAID THAT TOO. What do you want, a handwritten apology? He messed up. He served the time. Let's move on and hope he doesn't do something stupid in the future. After reading the Q&A I'm hopeful he won't.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Poor DJ. Must be tough going through 8 DCs in 8 years... Champ and Elvis have been victims of this, too they aren't making excuses. Poor DJ. Must be tough making the same mistakes off the field over and over and not showing any remorse until you've finally been suspended and actually lost something ($3 million). Poor DJ. The media has turned against him because he's made himself the center of attention for all the wrong reasons. They write negative things about him and it hurts his feelings.

I'm all in with Northman on this, let his actions speak for themselves. If he really has learned something, let him go a year or two without getting a DUI, failing a drug test, or doing something stupid via social media. I'm not convinced that anything will change with him. This isn't about second chances. Everyone gave him a second chance after his first DUI. He betrayed their trust by getting a second and getting stripped of his Captaincy. Then he tried to cheat on his whiz-quiz and got nailed for that, too. Then, he thought it an okay idea to post a page of his playbook on Twitter. Looks like this is more like a "5th chance" than a second...

Nomad
11-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Poor DJ. Must be tough going through 8 DCs in 8 years... Champ and Elvis have been victims of this, too they aren't making excuses. Poor DJ. Must be tough making the same mistakes off the field over and over and not showing any remorse until you've finally been suspended and actually lost something ($3 million). Poor DJ. The media has turned against him because he's made himself the center of attention for all the wrong reasons. They write negative things about him and it hurts his feelings.

I'm all in with Northman on this, let his actions speak for themselves. If he really has learned something, let him go a year or two without getting a DUI, failing a drug test, or doing something stupid via social media. I'm not convinced that anything will change with him. This isn't about second chances. Everyone gave him a second chance after his first DUI. He betrayed their trust by getting a second and getting stripped of his Captaincy. Then he tried to cheat on his whiz-quiz and got nailed for that, too. Then, he thought it an okay idea to post a page of his playbook on Twitter. Looks like this is more like a "5th chance" than a second...

You're not being very rational.:)

MOtorboat
11-03-2012, 05:57 PM

Where was the excuse?

The question was about what was the most misunderstood thing about him, and he said "that he's selfish." I've never heard him complain. He had every right to, and never has. He has literally played every linebacking position in the NFL under eight defensive coordinators and never complained.

I don't know why I'm even arguing this, I expected people to take this stuff way out of context, just because they don't like the guy, and lo and behold, they are...

Simple Jaded
11-03-2012, 09:44 PM
I don't think Williams cares about saving face or if his reputation takes a hit.......

BroncoWave
11-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Mo, what is so unreasonable about what North is saying? It's not like he's rooting for DJ to fail. He probably wants him to come in, be productive, and keep his nose clean just as much as you do. He's just not willing to give him a pass based on words. He wants to see it in action before he buys it. What's so unreasonable about that?

MOtorboat
11-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Mo, what is so unreasonable about what North is saying? It's not like he's rooting for DJ to fail. He probably wants him to come in, be productive, and keep his nose clean just as much as you do. He's just not willing to give him a pass based on words. He wants to see it in action before he buys it. What's so unreasonable about that?

This interview pretty much makes a lot of the criticism of D.J. Williams look utterly stupid.

Yup, he screwed up. Once. In nine years. He doesn't deserve the vitriol he gets.

BroncoWave
11-04-2012, 12:55 AM
This interview pretty much makes a lot of the criticism of D.J. Williams look utterly stupid.

Yup, he screwed up. Once. In nine years. He doesn't deserve the vitriol he gets.

Um, he has a DUI and the drug suspension. That's twice. And both of those things are VERY easy to not do. Then you have the whole posting a picture of the playbook on Twitter thing. While that one doesn't really do any damage, it still lends credence to the fact that he has poor judgement.

If you want to defend DJ that's fine, but don't be dishonest about it.

MOtorboat
11-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Um, he has a DUI and the drug suspension. That's twice. And both of those things are VERY easy to not do. Then you have the whole posting a picture of the playbook on Twitter thing. While that one doesn't really do any damage, it still lends credence to the fact that he has poor judgement.

What am I being dishonest about? He has one suspension in nine years for two screw ups and people act as of he's Pacman Jones. It's just ridiculous.

And the fact that people still complain about the twitter thing is hilarious.

Northman
11-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Bingo.

Slick
11-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for posting Mo.

I have been a critic of DJ for a while now, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see him do well.

He just rarely seems to make those game changing type of plays that you would like to see from a player of his talent level.

No doubt moving around so much and having a new DC every year sure haven't benefited him like many others have already said.

LTC Pain
11-04-2012, 11:04 AM

Correction, DJ has had TWO DUIs while in the NFL, plus failing the piss test. Three total negative events that have hurt him and the team. And to top it off, DJ doesn't sound one bit remorseful. On the contrary, he's bitter and didn't explain anything. I agree with North 100% I wish DJ the best on/off the field. But, I'm cautiously waiting to see what happens next on/off the field.

Chef Zambini
11-04-2012, 11:39 AM
First, this isn't a fluff piece. Quite the opposite.

Second, this is the first time DJ has given voice to a variety of issues. That's not saving face, that's providing an argument.

Third, you're right, DJ has to perform on the field. But HE SAID THAT TOO. What do you want, a handwritten apology? He messed up. He served the time. Let's move on and hope he doesn't do something stupid in the future. After reading the Q&A I'm hopeful he won't.i dont get alot of remorse from DJ. i get nore of a victin=m perspective.
look at his comments about honesty and compare that to his actions.
talk is cheap, from some its worthless.
actions and deeds on and off the field.
clean slate, really?
players with "clean slates' dont get tested every week !

Chef Zambini
11-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Correction, DJ has had TWO DUIs while in the NFL, plus failing the piss test. Three total negative events that have hurt him and the team. And to top it off, DJ doesn't sound one bit remorseful. On the contrary, he's bitter and didn't explain anything. I agree with North 100% I wish DJ the best on/off the field. But, I'm cautiously waiting to see what happens next on/off the field.BINGO!
ouch said the nail !

rationalfan
11-04-2012, 11:44 AM
i dont get alot of remorse from DJ. i get nore of a victin=m perspective.
look at his comments about honesty and compare that to his actions.
talk is cheap, from some its worthless.
actions and deeds on and off the field.
clean slate, really?
players with "clean slates' dont get tested every week !

??????????????

Chef Zambini
11-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks for posting Mo.

I have been a critic of DJ for a while now, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see him do well.

He just rarely seems to make those game changing type of plays that you would like to see from a player of his talent level.

No doubt moving around so much and having a new DC every year sure haven't benefited him like many others have already said.that explains his inconsistent performance on the field. it does not explain his knucklehead performance as a member of society and a representative of the broncos OFF the field.

Slick
11-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for posting Mo.

No doubt moving around so much and having a new DC every year sure haven't benefited him like many others have already said.that explains his inconsistent performance on the field. it does not explain his knucklehead performance as a member of society and a representative of the broncos OFF the field.

Sure. I've already covered that in one of the other DJ threads. I didn't see a need to pile on.

Fullback32
11-05-2012, 11:43 AM
It's real simple: stop drinking and using PEDs, behave yourself, come back and play well. Do those things and all will be forgiven.

G_Money
11-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Good interview. Props to Chris Bianchi at MHS for getting him with probably the most in-depth interview he's ever granted ANYbody. And it's nice to see his perspective on things.

DJ has always been a team player. Not a lot of guys would be okay with getting moved off their college position - a position at which they've been very good in the pros - and playing all 3 LB positions in the 4-3 and the middle spots in a 3-4 without complaining. He's definitely not a me-me-me player.

He's just a knucklehead. Dog urine for a roid test? Multiple DUIs? Losing his captaincy? Dumbass moves.

I agree with DJ that the idea that he should be cutting lawns because he's a somehow a worthless football player is a joke. But DJ's the one who has allowed ridiculous statements like that to be made, given the ammunition to his critics (of which I am one).

When he gets on the field, I hope he plays well. I don't feel like having him retire as a Bronco, though I'm glad he wants to. DJ's got several years left in his playing career, but you can tell from that interview that he doesn't understand why these things keep happening to him, and he doesn't doubt his decision-making skills.

I happen to doubt his decision-making skills, off the field and on it. DJ is not a selfish A-hole, but he's not somebody I bend over backwards to keep. He's always gonna be one of those guys I ride hard because his talent is tremendous. His ability to harness that talent is lacking, and at 30 years of age he's not gonna suddenly figure it out.

I try to take what DJ is able to provide and be satisfied with it, but Williams is making $6 mil next year, and Woodyard is making $2 mil. I'd like to deploy DJ's money somewhere else, that's all. He has the talent to deserve the contract, but I don't trust him with it.

So I'd rather pay players I do trust.

~G

LTC Pain
11-11-2012, 10:31 AM
DJ re-joins the Broncos on Monday, 12 Nov. Like others have said, if DJ contrbutes on the field and stays out of trouble off the field all should be good. We will see I suppose.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2664/dj-williams

Simple Jaded
11-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Apparently Williams took a paycut.......

MOtorboat
11-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Apparently Williams took a paycut.......

Not possible.

I'm told he's a selfish douchebag piece of shit ******* who doesn't care about anything...

Simple Jaded
11-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Not possible.

I'm told he's a selfish douchebag piece of shit ******* who doesn't care about anything...
He's just trying to save face.......

SR
11-12-2012, 09:30 AM
As of today he's off suspension. It'll be interesting to see what the coaching staff does with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Northman
11-12-2012, 09:39 AM
He's just trying to save face.......

Nailed it.

Nomad
11-12-2012, 12:11 PM
As of today he's off suspension. It'll be interesting to see what the coaching staff does with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I know they won't offer to have drinks after work.:lol: