PDA

View Full Version : Woodyard has no plans to relinquish his spot when Williams returns

Northman
11-02-2012, 10:49 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/wesley-woodyard-has-made-broncos-fans-forget-suspended-lb-dj-williams/2012/10/30/4f487b92-2308-11e2-92f8-7f9c4daf276a_story.html

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Wesley Woodyard has no intention of slipping back into a substitute role when D.J. Williams returns from his nine-game, NFL-mandated banishment next month.

The Broncos have no plans of letting him off the field, either. He’s the first Denver defender to record 50 tackles with multiple sacks (three) and interceptions (two) before the midway point of the season.

The fifth-year linebacker was a one-man wrecking crew in the Broncos’ 34-14 thrashing of Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints last weekend, getting 13 tackles, two pass breakups, a sack and strip, and a game-turning interception.

It’s almost certain that one of those roles won’t be his old starting job at weak side linebacker, the position Woodyard won with an outstanding training camp and now has a stranglehold hold on.

BroncoJoe
11-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Love the kid. Icing on the cake is he was an undrafted free agent.

Rex
11-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Everyone will stop the gratuitous handjobs when they line up against a team with a solid run game and he is pushed around like Mo in a mosh pit.

Northman
11-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Everyone will stop the gratuitous handjobs when they line up against a team with a solid run game and he is pushed around like Mo in a mosh pit.

Wont be any worse than watching DJ make a tackle 15 yards down the field and celebrating like he just milked the neighbor's pit bull.

GEM
11-02-2012, 11:59 AM
I hope he doesn't and I hope the staff doesn't make him. DJ is only slightly above average and all of his issues off the field take him down below average.

When was the last time DJ:

"He’s the first Denver defender to record 50 tackles with multiple sacks (three) and interceptions (two) before the midway point of the season."

Oh he hasn't. Woodyard may have some issues, but he is always around the ball, making plays and keeping his shit straight. It's not like DJ is some Patrick Willis, Terrell Suggs or Brian Urlacher. Hell, the reason people overlook Ray Lewis shady past is he is a top LB who also leads his team. DJ is neither. Got kicked off his captain role for once again, being a dumbass. Some here act like he is some phenomenal linebacker, when that really is not the case.

GEM
11-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Patrick Willis:
Year Team G Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int TDs Yds Avg Lng
2012 San Francisco 49ers 8 65 48 17 0.0 -- 6 1 0 0 0.0 0
2011 San Francisco 49ers 13 97 74 23 2.0 -- 12 1 0 10 10.0 10
2010 San Francisco 49ers 15 128 101 27 6.0 -- 5 -- -- -- 0.0 --
2009 San Francisco 49ers 16 152 114 38 4.0 0 8 3 1 33 11.0 23T
2008 San Francisco 49ers 16 141 109 32 1.0 0 10 1 1 86 86.0 86T
2007 San Francisco 49ers 16 174 135 39 4.0 -- 5 -- -- -- 0.0 --

DJ during first 6 seasons:
CAREER STATS
G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF
2011 Denver Broncos 13 13 90 70 20 5.0 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 3
2010 Denver Broncos 16 15 119 94 25 5.5 -- 9 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1
2009 Denver Broncos 16 16 122 100 22 3.5 -- 7 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 3
2008 Denver Broncos 11 11 93 68 25 2.5 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0
2007 Denver Broncos 16 16 141 106 35 1.0 -- 5 1 0 0.0 0 0 2
2006 Denver Broncos 16 15 76 59 17 1.0 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 1

If we had Patrick Willis on the team, I could see the defending of the guy. DJ ain't no Patrick Willis and he isn't even close.

Ravage!!!
11-02-2012, 12:07 PM
no he aint no... but what does that have to do with comparing him to the play of Woodyard??? :confused: No one is comparing him to Willis.

Northman
11-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Actually, i posted their first 20 or so starts and Woody has outplayed DJ there too.

GEM
11-02-2012, 12:15 PM
no he aint no... but what does that have to do with comparing him to the play of Woodyard??? :confused: No one is comparing him to Willis.

That would be the only reason to take a player who has shined off the field for a player who consistently puts his team in jeopardy due to suspensions. DJ is not THAT much better than Woodyard. And at some point, especially when talking about a player whose behavior has caused him to be off the field more than on, his personal bullshit does need to come into who you put on the field. Woodyard has earned his spot, DJ threw it away.

My point was that some here act like DJ is this fantastic LBer, when numbers show, he's not even in the vicinity of a fantastic LBer, and his off the field bullshit hurts this team more than him being MARGINALLY better than Woodyard.

DJ is old, Woodyard has always played backup and 2nd team, perhaps all the reps will and ARE making him a better player.

Total package.....Woodyard has DJ beat.

Ravage!!!
11-02-2012, 12:15 PM
ok...

GEM
11-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Actually, i posted their first 20 or so starts and Woody has outplayed DJ there too.

Can't even really do that because Woodyard hasn't had the reps DJ has.

Northman
11-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Yes and no but i did the best job i could. Unless there is a site that breaks down the ST's tackles (which really wont matter in my example because i posted the solo tackles and not assisted ones) than thats all you can really go on. But the bigger factor is that Woody has either (depending on who you are) played at the same level or better or a little worse than a guy who was a first round draft choice. I dont care if we keep DJ for depth purposes. Lord knows we need it but im not buying into this theory that DJ is worlds better than Woody because the fact is the play has not shown that one bit. Furthermore, the passion that Woody plays with far outweighs what i see from DJ. And then, there is the off the field issues but for now im talking strictly play.

Ravage!!!
11-02-2012, 12:20 PM

Plus, you could truly only compare the years that DJ was at WLB to the games of Woodyard at WLB. DJ had seasons at SLB, where LBs don't get as many tackles because of the make of the position. Obviously, comparing MLB to WLB isn't the same either.

GEM
11-02-2012, 12:23 PM
ok...

Make it simpler...why defend a marginal player? Is he really THAT much better than Woodyard? Especially sitting at home because he isn't allowed at the games because he is a bonehead. Over a guy who has been named captain while playing a backup role and special teams, while himself being removed as a captain? While the defense seems to be meshing better than they ever did while DJ was playing?

GEM
11-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Yes and no but i did the best job i could. Unless there is a site that breaks down the ST's tackles (which really wont matter in my example because i posted the solo tackles and not assisted ones) than thats all you can really go on. But the bigger factor is that Woody has either (depending on who you are) played at the same level or better or a little worse than a guy who was a first round draft choice. I dont care if we keep DJ for depth purposes. Lord knows we need it but im not buying into this theory that DJ is worlds better than Woody because the fact is the play has not shown that one bit. Furthermore, the passion that Woody plays with far outweighs what i see from DJ. And then, there is the off the field issues but for now im talking strictly play.

It's pretty sad watching people try to defend the guy saying he's a better player, especially since it's really not true.

Ravage!!!
11-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Lord knows we need it but im not buying into this theory that DJ is worlds better than Woody because the fact is the play has not shown that one bit. Furthermore, the passion that Woody plays with far outweighs what i see from DJ. And then, there is the off the field issues but for now im talking strictly play.

See, I haven't seen anyone say he's "worlds" better. But better is better. Experienced is experienced. Does it really take "worlds" better to be simply a better player? I don't care where a guy was drafted or not drafted, that has ZERO to do with it. If you could put a percentage on it, if DJ is only 10-15 percent better (and I truly have no idea what that would mean).... then you are saying you want the 10-15% lesser player on teh field, just because you like him better....or... because you think DJ isn't a 'top' LB in the NFL.

To me, give me the guy thats better... period. If its Wood, great. But so far, DJ is the better LB of the two. Stats don't tell shit, and thats the truth as we've seen it throughout all positions on the field.

Take a LB as an example..and only ONE small example off the top of my head. What if the better LB takes the proper angle against an outside run, that turns the RB back into the field and towards the rest of his team.. as he's supposed to do. Its not on the stat sheets, the LB doesn't get the tackle, but its a better play than the other player that gets there late and has to tackle the guy from behind while the RB did get to the outside. One gets the stat, while the other was the better player.

Just like the TD on Sproles the other night. Obviously, the play didn't make a bit of difference to the outcome of the game. But that wrong angle that Woodyard makes, shows up on film to the coaches. It may be something they have told him about over and over again.

Now I'm not saying ANY of that is true, or has happened, or if Woodyard will get replaced. I'm saying stats, absolutely, 100%, NEVER tell if a player is player better than another...alone. Stats lie, often, when it comes to football individual players.

Small things make a HUGE difference on the football field, and DJ has shown to be good enough to have 3X the average career, while playing on 4 different positions along the LB alignment. There is a reason for that. There is a reason that DCs don't replace him, and why new HCs haven't replaced him over his career. There is a reason the coaches continue to make sure to keep him on the field, and its NOT because he was picked in the 1st round a decade ago.

Ravage!!!
11-02-2012, 12:41 PM
It's pretty sad watching people try to defend the guy saying he's a better player, especially since it's really not true.

Again, this is just your opinin, yet DC after DC continues to put DJ on the field over Woodyard. You aren't talking in fact when you try to say "its really not true" because it IS true that DJ is the better player.... period. Now you can turn around and say the same thign to me, and we would both have opposing opinions. But you are basing your opinion on stats that don't say anything. THAT is the truth.

What is sad is when peopel think their stats "prove" how a player is compared to another, and rely on those stats. That is what's 'pretty sad.'

Ravage!!!
11-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Make it simpler...why defend a marginal player? Is he really THAT much better than Woodyard? Especially sitting at home because he isn't allowed at the games because he is a bonehead. Over a guy who has been named captain while playing a backup role and special teams, while himself being removed as a captain? While the defense seems to be meshing better than they ever did while DJ was playing?

:lol: What? You named several things that has NOTHING .. zero... to do with play on the field. To say the defense "seems" to be meshing better than they EVER did while DJ was playing... is foolish at best. Did you forget about the six game run where no team scored a single point in the second half of play.... and that was with ORTON at QB where we didn't have the ability to make an opposing team one dimensional?

Not to mention having a completely new DC this year that has shown to be fantastic at halftime adjustments....

"seemingly meshing" is a new one on me.

NightTerror218
11-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Again, this is just your opinin, yet DC after DC continues to put DJ on the field over Woodyard. You aren't talking in fact when you try to say "its really not true" because it IS true that DJ is the better player.... period. Now you can turn around and say the same thign to me, and we would both have opposing opinions. But you are basing your opinion on stats that don't say anything. THAT is the truth.

What is sad is when peopel think their stats "prove" how a player is compared to another, and rely on those stats. That is what's 'pretty sad.'

I doubt Woodyard is going to lose his spot to DJ this year. DJ is going to have to earn a spot on roster not to mention fight off the incumbent MLB for starting role since out defense has played great w/o mays. If we keep playing like we did against Saints, DJ will be a rotational backup.

Northman
11-02-2012, 01:11 PM
See, I haven't seen anyone say he's "worlds" better. But better is better.

Depending on who you ask. We just happen to disagree on how "much" better DJ is compared to Woody.

To me, give me the guy thats better... period. If its Wood, great. But so far, DJ is the better LB of the two. Stats don't tell shit, and thats the truth as we've seen it throughout all positions on the field.

While stats are never the be all end all they do mean something. Sorry, they just do and that my friend is just fact.

Take a LB as an example..and only ONE small example off the top of my head. What if the better LB takes the proper angle against an outside run, that turns the RB back into the field and towards the rest of his team.. as he's supposed to do. Its not on the stat sheets, the LB doesn't get the tackle, but its a better play than the other player that gets there late and has to tackle the guy from behind while the RB did get to the outside. One gets the stat, while the other was the better player.

Great example.

Now, here's the flipside. Take a LB who as you said may not be nearly as experienced but he does something "more" than the other guy which is create turnovers or has leadership qualities to which he helps and motivates players around him to perform better? Its a two way street bubba. There are pros and cons to every player and you have to weigh which ones mean the most to this squad. The Bronco defense isnt all world as it is, so (for me personally) i will take the guy who can help create turnovers and be a leader on the field EVEN if he occasionally blows a tackle here or there. Simply having a guy that can tackle a defender after he runs for 10 yards doesnt make him better to me.

Just like the TD on Sproles the other night. Obviously, the play didn't make a bit of difference to the outcome of the game. But that wrong angle that Woodyard makes, shows up on film to the coaches. It may be something they have told him about over and over again.

Yep, that was on him. Just like when we see receivers make big plays on Champ, Von, etc. It happens But then Woody goes and makes an INT which gives us great field position and changes momentum. No player is perfect, but you have to outweigh the good vs the bad and what both players bring to the table. To me Woody brings far more to the team than DJ ever has.

Small things make a HUGE difference on the football field, and DJ has shown to be good enough to have 3X the average career, while playing on 4 different positions along the LB alignment. There is a reason for that. There is a reason that DCs don't replace him, and why new HCs haven't replaced him over his career. There is a reason the coaches continue to make sure to keep him on the field, and its NOT because he was picked in the 1st round a decade ago.

Actually, to be honest. All it has shown me is how badly we needed defensive playmakers. Just because DJ at the time happened to be the better player amongst the other scrubs this team has had does not make him one of the best on the team.

blamkin86
11-02-2012, 04:07 PM
To me, give me the guy thats better... period.

And that's your problem. Your priorities are all out of whack. People like that are a cancer on the team. You're acting like Al Davis.

CoachChaz
11-02-2012, 04:14 PM
I wonder how many guys in the locker room think DJ is a "cancer". You know...the guy that has been on this team without causing locker room problems for 9 years while doing everything he's been asked and playing 3 different positions. I'm really curious how many people on the team dislike him so much.

I'm actually quite surprised at how many people are letting their dislike for DJ as a person cloud their judgement towards him as a player

Nomad
11-02-2012, 04:23 PM
When's DJ supposed to be back from vacation?

chazoe60
11-02-2012, 04:34 PM
I will say this, and yes it was just one game, but I don't think DJ has ever had a game as good as Wesley just had.

NightTerror218
11-02-2012, 04:37 PM
When's DJ supposed to be back from vacation?

he is back at the facilities meeting with coaches and trainers but he has 2 games left.

chazoe60
11-02-2012, 04:44 PM
To me it's somewhat simple. The three best LBers on the team are Von, DJ, and WW. Get those three on the field for the bulk of the game with Brooking(playing very well and impressing IMHO), Trevathon, and Irving getting time also. Doesn't seem too complicated really.

MOtorboat
11-02-2012, 06:21 PM
To me it's somewhat simple. The three best LBers on the team are Von, DJ, and WW. Get those three on the field for the bulk of the game with Brooking(playing very well and impressing IMHO), Trevathon, and Irving getting time also. Doesn't seem too complicated really.

Yup, when you have a good player who's started for nine years come available to you on your roster (regardless of why he wasn't available before) you get him on the field.

MOtorboat
11-02-2012, 06:26 PM
I will say this, and yes it was just one game, but I don't think DJ has ever had a game as good as Wesley just had.

Yes.

NightTerror218
11-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Yup, when you have a good player who's started for nine years come available to you on your roster (regardless of why he wasn't available before) you get him on the field.

but you dont replace a guy who is playing at high level, DJ will be at MLB if he breaks starting lineup when he comes back (could take a couple games). IMO Woodyard can make pro bowl if he keep playing like this (the way he did last Sunday). He can finish season with 140 tackles, 4 Ints, 2 FF, 6 sacks which is better then any season of Williams.

MOtorboat
11-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Woodyard will not have 140 tackles.

NightTerror218
11-02-2012, 06:41 PM

he is projected to get that right now. 9 games left and already over 60

Northman
11-02-2012, 06:43 PM

Well, lets be real here. DJ never got 140 (solo) tackles. The year you are pointing out he had 106 solo and 35 assisted tackles. Woody has what? 53 right now? He has a chance to get 100 tackles.

MOtorboat
11-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Well, lets be real here. DJ never got 140 (solo) tackles. The year you are pointing out he had 106 solo and 35 assisted tackles. Woody has what? 53 right now? He has a chance to get 100 tackles.

If you project combined tackles out for Woodyard he'll have 132, 89 solo.

I don't know why both players shouldn't be on the field. :whoknows:

I really don't know why anyone would argue against getting a guy on the field who averaged over 100 combined tackles a year for eight NFL seasons. That just makes zero sense to me.

NightTerror218
11-02-2012, 06:49 PM

I really don't know why anyone would argue against getting a guy on the field who averaged over 100 combined tackles a year for eight NFL seasons. That just makes zero sense to me.

The point is to not replace Woodyard. Look at Porter he may have lost his starting spot to harris. Dj could very well lose it to Woodyard. can Dj play well in coverage? I know he is great in the run game.

Northman
11-02-2012, 06:52 PM

No one is arguing that man. The whole debate has been those who say that Dj needs to be on the field over Woody. I dont care if they share the field. That was never an issue with me. lol

MOtorboat
11-02-2012, 06:55 PM
The point is to not replace Woodyard. Look at Porter he may have lost his starting spot to harris. Dj could very well lose it to Woodyard. can Dj play well in coverage? I know he is great in the run game.

No one is arguing that man. The whole debate has been those who say that Dj needs to be on the field over Woody. I dont care if they share the field. That was never an issue with me. lol

I've never argued solely to replace Woodyard. In fact I've been pretty adamant that both play.

I got drug into an argument about Woodyard vs. Williams argument solely because I think Williams is clearly a better player than Woodyard.

I've never argued that you couldn't put both on the field.

They definitely need to be the two backers in the nickel formation.

NightTerror218
11-02-2012, 07:12 PM
I've never argued solely to replace Woodyard. In fact I've been pretty adamant that both play.

I got drug into an argument about Woodyard vs. Williams argument solely because I think Williams is clearly a better player than Woodyard.

I've never argued that you couldn't put both on the field.

They definitely need to be the two backers in the nickel formation.

One thing I can say is that DJ in the middle would not have let Woodhead run for a 1st down.

MOtorboat
11-02-2012, 07:14 PM
One thing I can say is that DJ in the middle would not have let Woodhead run for a 1st down.

Twice.

BroncoWave
11-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Why is everyone assuming that DJ will even be anywhere close to game shape? Who knows what he's been doing for the past few months.

MOtorboat
11-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Why is everyone assuming that DJ will even be anywhere close to game shape? Who knows what he's been doing for the past few months.

You should probably read the MileHighSports interview.

Williams isn't the lazy, stupid slacker you want him to be.

BroncoWave
11-02-2012, 09:15 PM
You should probably read the MileHighSports interview.

Williams isn't the lazy, stupid slacker you want him to be.

Mo why are you always angry? Why would I want a Broncos player to be lazy and stupid? I'm simply asking a question. I know you would fellate DJ on command but just because he's done well in the past doesn't guarantee he would continue to play that way. He's getting older and has been out of football for almost a year. If you are expecting him to come in and be the exact player as in his prime you may be setting yourself up for disappointment.

MOtorboat
11-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Mo why are you always angry? Why would I want a Broncos player to be lazy and stupid? I'm simply asking a question. I know you would fellate DJ on command but just because he's done well in the past doesn't guarantee he would continue to play that way. He's getting older and has been out of football for almost a year. If you are expecting him to come in and be the exact player as in his prime you may be setting yourself up for disappointment.

What was angry about anything I said?

You still should probably read the MileHighSports interview. There's no anger in that.

He's in shape. He's leaner than he's been in the past. He's a workout freak with a degree in it from Miami. Is it going to take a game, maybe two to get back to his form, yes. He admits that in said interview.

Now go read the damn interview and quit making ass-umptions about me.

******* people take shit way too ******* seriously.

Nomad
11-02-2012, 09:43 PM
quit making ass-umptions about me.

******* people take shit way too ******* seriously.

I apologized:lol:

DenBronx
11-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Is it just me or have there been many discussions on who is playing better than the other guy on the bench this year? I thought that was a good thing.

Lets just let Del Rio and Fox determine who is playing better and who will be on the field.

I suspect they both will play every game. Some way some how Del Rio will get them all involved. And if DJ wants his spot back then he needs to make plays on Sundays.

Chef Zambini
11-03-2012, 12:47 PM
you guys can speculate ansd extrapulate all you want.
you canfavor one guy over another, for any reason you choose, but...
JDR will put the best 11 guys on the field.
he will rotate and rest his personnel based on down, distance and opponents personnel and tendencies.
JDR and his staff will know more than ANY of us wannabes on gameday !
if DJ is on the field or on the sideline, it will be because he belongs there !
lets see if he can EARN his time on the field, right now, his bank account is EMPTY !
and he has no one to blame but himself !

Chef Zambini
11-03-2012, 12:51 PM
WOODYARD /
that guy has EARNED his playing time.
he has earned his coaches respect, his teammates respect 9captain)
and my respect !
if woody is not on the field, I would hope that JDR has a good reason for it.
like rest, or match-up.

Jsteve01
11-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Man these player comparisons drive me crazy. Stack up pure football ability and DJ comes out on top but you can't ignore woodys character,leadership and intangibles. Get them both on the field

chazoe60
11-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that it's really not that big of deal to have DJ and Wes on the field at the same time? Wes is better in coverage than he is against the run and DJ is really good at blitzing up the middle. Put Wes at OLB let him do his thing and put DJ in the middle and do some good blitz packages and let him do his thing. DJ likes OLB better but our best combo is Von/DJ/WW and the only thing that makes sense in that Combo is to have DJ in the middle.

You have to maximize the talent on the field.

Nomad
11-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Whatever combo helps the :defense: stop the opponent!

bcbronc
11-03-2012, 07:30 PM
One thing we don't have an answer to yet is how big a difference DJ's performance enhancing drugs made. He's not young in linebacker terms, has missed some time and is off the juice. Assuming he'll regain his form at this point is a bit premature.

What I'd like to see for the first couple games anyway is the status quo on first downs, DJ in at MLB for passing situations vs 21 personnel, DJ in at will for run situations, and DJ and Trevathan in the nickle.

Dreadnought
11-03-2012, 08:20 PM
DJ's top season for tackles, 2007, was an absolute nightmare for the Broncos defense. That was the season he started at MLB, and during it our run defense was a flaccid dreary mess, 30th in the League in yards allowed and giving up a generous 4.6 YPC. Tackles made 5 to 10 yards past the LOS are not optimal, and IIR we had bucketloads of them, with DJ plumping up his tackle stats as opponents reamed the middle of the defense. The next season we were again 30th against the run, and allowed an appalling 5.0 YPC. That years defense was a red hot pile of trash, as many here will recall. Stiffs with names like Webster, Manuel, and McCree helped make us even softer than '07. DJ's fault? Not hardly, but he sure didn't do much to help either. The 2009 Defense wasn't utterly awful, but that was only the prelude to the nightmare of 2010, where the Broncos defense was actually so historically bad that it was almost enough to make you miss the idiots Slowick and Bates. How bad? 32nd in the League, and amongst the worst in NFL history. Remember them? DJ had a crap ton of tackles on that team too, all of which tells us exactly nothing about his ability to play LB. Beyond that he rarely forces bad plays by an opponent, rarely a big tackle for a loss in a key spot, or forced fumble, or interception, or a big hit, or a 3rd and one stuff. I simply see very little upside to the guy, and never have. He's a perfectly fine LB, I guess, but middle of the pack at best. You need some middle of the pack guys on a roster, i totally get that. He looked elite surrounded by the chumps and stumblebums that populated the roster from 07-10, but again, thats hardly an endorsement.

Simple Jaded
11-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Woodyard's performance so far really spotlights how irrational people's disdain for Williams has been. Woodyard plays well for half a season and he's a hero, Williams has played well his entire career and he's a whipping boy. For whatever reason fans and media do not like him but from what I understand his teammates do not share that sentiment.

As it is, nobody is nominating Williams for humanitarian awards and they can't all be boyscouts, but this is football and for whatever reason people simply can't get passed his personality defects long enough to realize that lining Dumervil and Woodyard up on the same side of the field might not exactly be ideal.

Hopefully the coaches can find the right rotation with their LB's, even if that means the player you like doesn't get his chance to make the ProBowl.......

BroncoWave
11-04-2012, 12:57 AM
At the end of the day, having four good linebackers and only 3 spots in which to put them is a pretty good problem to have. Same with our CB situation once Porter gets back. I don't remember what it's like to actually have depth on the defensive side of the ball.

TXBRONC
11-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Idea that I've seen floated is D.J. eventually moving back to the middle. Also from things I've read in the D.P. it sounds like there is good chance in the immediate future they incorporate him into the sub-packages.

TXBRONC
11-04-2012, 09:57 AM
DJ's top season for tackles, 2007, was an absolute nightmare for the Broncos defense. That was the season he started at MLB, and during it our run defense was a flaccid dreary mess, 30th in the League in yards allowed and giving up a generous 4.6 YPC. Tackles made 5 to 10 yards past the LOS are not optimal, and IIR we had bucketloads of them, with DJ plumping up his tackle stats as opponents reamed the middle of the defense. The next season we were again 30th against the run, and allowed an appalling 5.0 YPC. That years defense was a red hot pile of trash, as many here will recall. Stiffs with names like Webster, Manuel, and McCree helped make us even softer than '07. DJ's fault? Not hardly, but he sure didn't do much to help either. The 2009 Defense wasn't utterly awful, but that was only the prelude to the nightmare of 2010, where the Broncos defense was actually so historically bad that it was almost enough to make you miss the idiots Slowick and Bates. How bad? 32nd in the League, and amongst the worst in NFL history. Remember them? DJ had a crap ton of tackles on that team too, all of which tells us exactly nothing about his ability to play LB. Beyond that he rarely forces bad plays by an opponent, rarely a big tackle for a loss in a key spot, or forced fumble, or interception, or a big hit, or a 3rd and one stuff. I simply see very little upside to the guy, and never have. He's a perfectly fine LB, I guess, but middle of the pack at best. You need some middle of the pack guys on a roster, i totally get that. He looked elite surrounded by the chumps and stumblebums that populated the roster from 07-10, but again, thats hardly an endorsement.

He didn't have poor season last year . D.J. can play anyone of the linebacker positions and best suited for Mike or Will. Woodyard would more than likely not be able hold up in the middle. I disagree he's middle of the pack. How many other linebackers were to play a different position for four straight season? I like Woodyard and he's a solid player but he's not better than Williams if he were he would have played of Williams rather than getting he position by default.

Rex
11-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Wont be any worse than watching DJ make a tackle 15 yards down the field and celebrating like he just milked the neighbor's pit bull.

By "milking" do you mean jerking off the pit bull?

NightTerror218
11-08-2012, 02:37 PM
WW is one of the top Linebackers in the AFC West right now according the random midseason reports. I just wonder how well the team with play by throwing DJ in the mix. They are gelling together right now quite nicely IMO.

Northman
11-08-2012, 02:42 PM
WW is one of the top Linebackers in the AFC West right now according the random midseason reports. I just wonder how well the team with play by throwing DJ in the mix. They are gelling together right now quite nicely IMO.

Basically it will come down to this.

If Woody misses a tackle while blowing up the backfield DJ will be there to tackle the guy 20 yds down the field. If Dj fails to reign in an interception by tipping it Woody will be there to catch it.

NightTerror218
11-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Basically it will come down to this.

If Woody misses a tackle while blowing up the backfield DJ will be there to tackle the guy 20 yds down the field. If Dj fails to reign in an interception by tipping it Woody will be there to catch it.

And the experience and leadership Brookings is bringing right now. Look at the improvement with him in there compared to mays. The defense has really stepping up. I know Mays sucked and DJ is a better player then Brookings but he is doing great at MLB right now and is helping run that defense.

Northman
11-08-2012, 02:55 PM
And the experience and leadership Brookings is bringing right now. Look at the improvement with him in there compared to mays. The defense has really stepping up. I know Mays sucked and DJ is a better player then Brookings but he is doing great at MLB right now and is helping run that defense.

Leadership can go a long way.

NightTerror218
11-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Leadership can go a long way.

that is what I think with all the young players out there and rotating in (Moore, Miller, Wolfe, Travanthan, Johnson, Irving, Harris, Bolden).....plus if it aint broken don't try to fix it.

Northman
11-08-2012, 03:01 PM
that is what I think with all the young players out there and rotating in (Moore, Miller, Wolfe, Travanthan, Johnson, Irving, Harris, Bolden).....plus if it aint broken don't try to fix it.

Pretty much. If DJ wants to contribute off the bench im all for it but to mess with the chemistry by trying to force him into a starter role could be hurtful to the team.

Chef Zambini
11-08-2012, 06:14 PM
DJ will have to EARN his time on the field.
JDR and fox owe him nothing. his benefit of the doubt account is EMPTY.