PDA

View Full Version : Woodyard Named AFC Defensive Player Of The Week

Denver Native (Carol)
10-31-2012, 11:49 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP/CBS4) – Wesley Woodyard has no intention of slipping back into a substitute role when D.J. Williams returns from his nine-game, NFL-mandated banishment next month.

The Broncos have no plans of letting him off the field, either. He’s the first Denver defender to record 50 tackles with multiple sacks (three) and interceptions (two) before the midway point of the season. On Wednesday morning he was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week.

The fifth-year linebacker was a one-man wrecking crew in the Broncos’ 34-14 thrashing of Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints last weekend, getting 13 tackles, two pass breakups, a sack and strip, and a game-turning interception.

rest - http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/31/woodyard-named-afc-defensive-player-of-the-week/

Wesley definitely earned this :salute:

SR
10-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Well deserved to say the least. Dude has been playing big

Northman
10-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Definitely deserved.

NightTerror218
10-31-2012, 12:01 PM
I am very impressed with him right now. He will have to lose his spot to Williams....and that will not be easy for Williams to take.

Hawgdriver
10-31-2012, 12:07 PM
I'll try not to go apeshit crazy about this, but this is pretty huge. Having a named captain (Special Teams) and a leader on the field earn an award like this is great for forming a strong and confident defensive identity. I'm not sure Woodyard is going to remind anyone of one of the "greats" at the position, but at least the players, especially developing players, may be inclined to give the dude more respect. Little things like this can help the team keep momentum.

MOtorboat
10-31-2012, 12:12 PM
He's playing very well. That's pretty awesome.

slim
10-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Que Buff to tell us how Woodyard shouldn't be on the field.

MileHighCrew
10-31-2012, 12:26 PM
That's awesome, good for him. Guy has been very good

Denver Native (Carol)
10-31-2012, 12:26 PM
I am very impressed with him right now. He will have to lose his spot to Williams....and that will not be easy for Williams to take.

from article - does not appear that Wesley will lose his spot when Williams comes back:

“It’s always good to have a guy that can roll in,” said Woodyard. “D.J., with his experience, that allows us to be able to play a lot of different things and do a lot of different things with him.”

It’s almost certain that one of those roles won’t be his old starting job at weak side linebacker, the position Woodyard won with an outstanding training camp and now has a stranglehold hold on.

With Joe Mays being placed on injured reserve Tuesday after breaking his left ankle blocking on a punt return against the Saints, Williams might end up sharing snaps at middle linebacker with 15-year veteran Keith Brooking when he returns to practice Nov. 12.

The Broncos haven’t revealed their plans for Williams. What they do know is that Woodyard is too valuable to take off the field anymore.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/31/woodyard-named-afc-defensive-player-of-the-week/

NightTerror218
10-31-2012, 12:27 PM
If he keeps playing at this level it could make DJ expendable. With Some of our rookie LBs playing well.

slim
10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
from article - does not appear that Wesley will lose his spot when Williams comes back:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/31/woodyard-named-afc-defensive-player-of-the-week/

I am glad to hear this.

Northman
10-31-2012, 12:38 PM
If he keeps playing at this level it could make DJ expendable. With Some of our rookie LBs playing well.

And it should.

Its really of no fault but Williams own. He probably has more talent than Woody but as far as passion and using common sense that door waved bye bye to DJ long ago apparently.

NightTerror218
10-31-2012, 12:53 PM
And it should.

Its really of no fault but Williams own. He probably has more talent than Woody but as far as passion and using common sense that door waved bye bye to DJ long ago apparently.

The way Woodyard is playing. Would Williams actually be playing better? Would he have better stats? I do not think so.

CoachChaz
10-31-2012, 12:58 PM
DJ is certainly better against the run. That alone should guarantee him a share of field time when he gets back.

I cant stand the guy as much as anyone and have been hoping for his trade for a few seasons...but even as good as WW is playing...I still like DJ against the run

Ravage!!!
10-31-2012, 01:27 PM
The way Woodyard is playing. Would Williams actually be playing better? Would he have better stats? I do not think so.

DJ is the better player. Stats don't tell everything. DJ's experience on the field, and his play by itself, is bettr than Woodyard. Woody is having a good 7 games, but lets not exaggerate his abilities to make him out to be soething he's not. Just seems that this board has jumped on the "hate DJ" bandwagon, and everyone hops on becuase its the "thing to do." But the truth is, DJ is the bettter player.

As far as the article, the writer may be right. But at the same time, its the writer saying that DJ won't be playing WLB, and not the coach. Fox said "he has good straight line speed." Nice talk for not pointing out that he doesn't ahve good lateral movement. Something a WLB needs, while a good special teams player is best at straight line speed.

But.. I didn't realize Mays broke his ankle. That certainly raises the need for different situations. Again, I wouldn't be shocked to see DJ play both Will and Mike..depending on teh situations of the down.

NightTerror218
10-31-2012, 01:28 PM
DJ is certainly better against the run. That alone should guarantee him a share of field time when he gets back.

I cant stand the guy as much as anyone and have been hoping for his trade for a few seasons...but even as good as WW is playing...I still like DJ against the run

Our DL has stepped up well against the run. Our weakness has been TE/slot WRs across the middle IMO. WW helps against that he has great coverage skills. He is doing well against the run racking up tackles.

NightTerror218
10-31-2012, 01:31 PM
DJ is the better player. Stats don't tell everything. DJ's experience on the field, and his play by itself, is bettr than Woodyard. Woody is having a good 7 games, but lets not exaggerate his abilities to make him out to be soething he's not. Just seems that this board has jumped on the "hate DJ" bandwagon, and everyone hops on becuase its the "thing to do." But the truth is, DJ is the bettter player.

As far as the article, the writer may be right. But at the same time, its the writer saying that DJ won't be playing WLB, and not the coach. Fox said "he has good straight line speed." Nice talk for not pointing out that he doesn't ahve good lateral movement. Something a WLB needs, while a good special teams player is best at straight line speed.

But.. I didn't realize Mays broke his ankle. That certainly raises the need for different situations. Again, I wouldn't be shocked to see DJ play both Will and Mike..depending on teh situations of the down.

Woodyard played good last season too. But he is better this season. Unless we have a 3-4 look I do not see Woodyard and DJ on field. Dj seemed to disappear at MLB last time he was there.

Ravage!!!
10-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Woodyard played good last season too. But he is better this season. Unless we have a 3-4 look I do not see Woodyard and DJ on field. Dj seemed to disappear at MLB last time he was there.

Mmmm kay.

MOtorboat
10-31-2012, 01:37 PM

If 140 tackles, two forced fumbles, a sack and an interception is "disappearing" what's "showing up"?

NightTerror218
10-31-2012, 01:49 PM
If 140 tackles, two forced fumbles, a sack and an interception is "disappearing" what's "showing up"?

You mean when denver was horrible on defense and on the field a lot? but I was mistaken. I was thinking his play fell off a bit that was why he was moved back to the weakside.

Northman
10-31-2012, 02:07 PM

Nah, i didnt just hop on the hate DJ bandwagon. I thought he was quite overrated and disappointing long before this year.

CoachChaz
10-31-2012, 02:12 PM
In run scenarios, I prefer Brooking in the middle and DJ at WILL...against the pass, I like DJ at MIKE and WW at WILL.

Northman
10-31-2012, 02:14 PM

How many does he have this year? Yea, thats what i thought.

Ravage!!!
10-31-2012, 02:21 PM
How many does he have this year? Yea, thats what i thought.

:confused: What does that have to do with the discussion?

DenBronx
10-31-2012, 02:28 PM
IMO, Williams has lost his job to Woody. DJ just needs to fill in when needed and against the run. He has played all positions of LB, so moving him back to MLB when Brooking needs a breather and back to WLB when Woody needs one should be a problem for DJ. Someone could always get injured again and with the loss of Mays on special teams I'm certain DJ will still be on the field alot.

By the way, it's always a good thing when you are deep at talent and can't always get everyone of the field. Just like our DBs....yet Del Rio is still managing to get them all on the field and they make plays when needed.

Northman
10-31-2012, 02:28 PM
:confused: What does that have to do with the discussion?

Everything. If you have a player who cant even be relied upon to be on the field what good is he? OH, and for the record. DJ had 70 tackles last year, not 140.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Everything. If you have a player who cant even be relied upon to be on the field what good is he? OH, and for the record. DJ had 70 tackles last year, not 140.

Correct - 70 solo tackles last year http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/D.J.-Williams/332a3e04-66d8-444a-b13d-a262d550729f

So far this year, Woodyard has 42 solo tackles http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Wesley-Woodyard/5bf4e2fc-acff-479c-9f25-5643d532fb8e

MOtorboat
10-31-2012, 04:16 PM

He didn't play middle linebacker, last year, either.

NightTerror said he was absent when he was at middle linebacker. He wasn't at middle linebacker last year so I didn't use his stats from last year. I used them from when he was last at middle linebacker.

MOtorboat
10-31-2012, 04:17 PM
You mean when denver was horrible on defense and on the field a lot? but I was mistaken. I was thinking his play fell off a bit that was why he was moved back to the weakside.

Right, the "best players on the defense suck because the defense didn't perform well" theory.

I just never understand this, ever.

CoachChaz
10-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Let's not forget that special teams tackles count towards your total, so WW can "pad the stats" in that area. DJ is better than WW against the run and better than Brooking against the pass. Period. I hate him, too...but if we want the best players on the field...he'll be out there regularly

blamkin86
10-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Just seems that this board has jumped on the "hate DJ" bandwagon, and everyone hops on becuase its the "thing to do."

Sorry, there's consequences for multiple DUIs. Don't like it? Don't do it.

Don't think it's just a board thing man, you're missing the point. I enjoy the Broncos and all but my priorities are better than that.

NightTerror218
10-31-2012, 04:55 PM
I am all for Williams coming back. But I think Woodyard is on a tear right now and should keep his spot. The defense is playing great. Williams will add some very much needed depth though.

slim
10-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Williams and Porter will both be good depth.

NightTerror218
10-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Williams and Porter will both be good depth.

only problem is cost next season

Chef Zambini
10-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Woodey and DJ. move one to safety, leave champ alone.

Rick
10-31-2012, 06:29 PM
I have said since the beginning that it needs to be Miller, DJ and WW on the field.

It is possible that DJ is a better LBer than WW, I won't argue though I am not convinced, but the real point should be what 3 lbers on the field at the same time make our defense better and I believe it is Miller, DJ, WW.

Dzone
10-31-2012, 07:20 PM
Brooking is doing a good job. Leave him in there.
Good for Woodyard! Damn, you gotta love Woody!!!!

NightTerror218
10-31-2012, 07:27 PM
is DJ smart enough to be able to make defensive audibles? Do does he need someone to tweet a pic of their playbook for him?

Dzone
10-31-2012, 07:29 PM
You get the feeling DJ is just waiting to do something stupid again. Not even Brandon Marshall can screw shit up like DJ

NightTerror218
10-31-2012, 07:30 PM
I wonder what the "new position" Dj was suppose to be learning when he tweeted the defensive play

was it MLB?

Dapper Dan
10-31-2012, 07:33 PM
A lot of people think the 30 year old Williams is still in football shape. Is he? I doubt he had the same people Peyton Manning had working with him. I don't know one way or the other. I guess we'll see when he gets back. What I do know is Wesley Woodyard is playing well and he's dependable. Statistically better than any Bronco LB ever has at this point in the season.

NightTerror218
10-31-2012, 07:41 PM
A lot of people think the 30 year old Williams is still in football shape. Is he? I doubt he had the same people Peyton Manning had working with him. I don't know one way or the other. I guess we'll see when he gets back. What I do know is Wesley Woodyard is playing well and he's dependable. Statistically better than any Bronco LB ever has at this point in the season.

DJ Williams is back at the facilities working with trainers and all now. He is allowed do under a substance abuse suspension.

Dapper Dan
10-31-2012, 07:47 PM
DJ Williams is back at the facilities working with trainers and all now. He is allowed do under a substance abuse suspension.

I also hear athletes say that no amount of practice can get you into "football shape". I hope he's good to go and cracking helmets as soon as he comes back, for the team's sake.

Hawgdriver
10-31-2012, 09:12 PM

A tackle on special teams is worth as much as a tackle on a 3 yard gain. Maybe more, right? Production, baby. He's doing it.

Northman
11-01-2012, 07:43 AM
is DJ smart enough to be able to make defensive audibles? Do does he need someone to tweet a pic of their playbook for him?

:lol:

Pwned.

Northman
11-01-2012, 07:44 AM

Say what? Your underestimating the IQ level it takes to use animal urine. ******* GENIUS!

EastCoastBronco
11-01-2012, 08:02 AM
The whole D seems to play better when Brooking is in there.
When guys are in the right spots to make plays it goes a whole lot smoother.

BroncoJoe
11-01-2012, 08:34 AM
:woody:

HORSEPOWER 56
11-01-2012, 08:42 AM
The biggest difference between what DJ has done for years and what Woodyard is doing now are the "splash" plays. Game changing plays that force turnovers or big tackles/passes defended on 3rd down that force the defense to punt. With all his athleticism, DJ should've been that type of guy his whole career. He's not - never has been. Sure, he's made a lot of tackles and gets a sack once in awhile, but when was the last time you saw him pick off a pass or cover any TE for shit? DJ is the guy who should be doing the things Woodyard is doing now but he's never been that guy. Regardless of all the off-the-field stuff, DJ has NEVER lived up to his hype and ability, EVER.

The bottom line is, he's lazy and he's not a student of the game. All the athleticism in the world goes to waste if the mental side isn't attached to it and DJ has NEVER made that a part of his game. That's why Woodyard is better at this point, because he's hungry and because he gives a shit about this team, unlike DJ. That's enough for me...

Dapper Dan
11-01-2012, 08:44 AM
I haven't seen DJ do much in a while. He really sucks this year.

Northman
11-01-2012, 09:53 AM
The biggest difference between what DJ has done for years and what Woodyard is doing now are the "splash" plays. Game changing plays that force turnovers or big tackles/passes defended on 3rd down that force the defense to punt. With all his athleticism, DJ should've been that type of guy his whole career. He's not - never has been. Sure, he's made a lot of tackles and gets a sack once in awhile, but when was the last time you saw him pick off a pass or cover any TE for shit? DJ is the guy who should be doing the things Woodyard is doing now but he's never been that guy. Regardless of all the off-the-field stuff, DJ has NEVER lived up to his hype and ability, EVER.

The bottom line is, he's lazy and he's not a student of the game. All the athleticism in the world goes to waste if the mental side isn't attached to it and DJ has NEVER made that a part of his game. That's why Woodyard is better at this point, because he's hungry and because he gives a shit about this team, unlike DJ. That's enough for me...

Yep.

GEM
11-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Let's see......A guy who racks up DUI's and suspensions or an upstanding guy who does a crap ton for the community?
A guy who makes some plays, but never makes the big play or a guy who works his ass off after going undrafted, and gets national attention for making big plays?
A guy who gets kicked off of being a team captain or a guy who made captain as a special team player and has held it since?

Is there really any question of who should start once the suspension is over? HELL NO. DJ needs to stick to what he is good at....smokin weed, driving while drunk and kicking urine bottles out of rooms.

CoachChaz
11-01-2012, 10:12 AM
I guess when WW gets plowed by a back that breaks off a long TD run or Brooking cant keep up with a TE in the seam...we'll have to re-evaluate, huh?

Nobody likes DJ the person...I get it. But if he increases our chances of performing and winning...he has to get the field time. We've had plenty of a-holes on our roster over the years, but if they improved our team...they were out there. No difference here.

Dapper Dan
11-01-2012, 10:33 AM
I guess when WW gets plowed by a back that breaks off a long TD run or Brooking cant keep up with a TE in the seam...we'll have to re-evaluate, huh?

Nobody likes DJ the person...I get it. But if he increases our chances of performing and winning...he has to get the field time. We've had plenty of a-holes on our roster over the years, but if they improved our team...they were out there. No difference here.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see when he comes back, unless he get suspended again.

Northman
11-01-2012, 11:28 AM

This makes no sense whatsoever we have been fine without DJ in the lineup. You act as if DJ is some sort of missing link. :lol:

Chef Zambini
11-01-2012, 11:34 AM
as I said before DJ will have to EARN his time on the field. meanwhile, I have no doubt the broncos are listening to any offers .

GEM
11-01-2012, 11:36 AM
DJ's play is not so dramatically better that it is worth ignoring the liability he is while on the team. His next suspension could be full year. If he was a game changing phenom, that would make sense. He's not, so the liability he is off the field doesn't make up for his "ok" play on.

MOtorboat
11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
DJ's play is not so dramatically better that it is worth ignoring the liability he is while on the team. His next suspension could be full year. If he was a game changing phenom, that would make sense. He's not, so the liability he is off the field doesn't make up for his "ok" play on.

You don't bench a player because he "might" get suspended.

And you don't cut a healthy player who isn't suspended that is your best linebacker.

Like Coach said, I get it, you hate him because he's a bit of a scumbag, but he can play, so he will.

CoachChaz
11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
This makes no sense whatsoever we have been fine without DJ in the lineup. You act as if DJ is some sort of missing link. :lol:

Didnt say that. But if he performs at the same level he has in the past, then he is an asset and an upgrade. Assuming he hasnt forgotten how to play LB...he IS better against the pass than Brooking and he IS better against the run than WW. That being said, there is a place for him in the rotation.

CoachChaz
11-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Odds of him getting suspended again this year are slim. That being said...use his talents to benefit the team and then be done with him after the season. Then we wont have to worry about it. But as long as he brings value this year...we may as well utilize it

Dapper Dan
11-01-2012, 12:37 PM
I agree that we should use him as much as we can for the rest of the season. I don't think he should be benched the entire game or be inactive like Knowshon. I do disagree with any notion to bring him back next year.

MOtorboat
11-01-2012, 12:54 PM
What has been the battle cry for this fanbase for years? Defense, specifically the linebackers, can't tackle.

So, now we have the chance to have three superb tacklers at linebacker, and the new battle cry is that D.J. Williams didn't make the "right" tackles, so just sit him on the bench...

Just confuses me.

slim
11-01-2012, 12:58 PM
What has been the battle cry for this fanbase for years? Defense, specifically the linebackers, can't tackle.

So, now we have the chance to have three superb tacklers at linebacker, and the new battle cry is that D.J. Williams didn't make the "right" tackles, so just sit him on the bench...

Just confuses me.

MO, where do you think he should play?

I am guessing a time share with Brooking, but I'm not sure I like the idea all that much.

Northman
11-01-2012, 01:04 PM

Just confuses me.

Actually, my battlecry is Woody can do what he does. DJ certainly cant tackle anyone being suspended. Just because DJ has spent more time on the field (being a 1st round choice) does not mean that Woody cant do the same things and improve. Give the opportunity to the guy who seems to want it more. Talent is great, but not when the person is unreliable.

MOtorboat
11-01-2012, 01:05 PM
MO, where do you think he should play?

I am guessing a time share with Brooking, but I'm not sure I like the idea all that much.

I think it would take one practice series before Williams asserted himself as better than both Woodyard and Brooking.

But, as good as Woodyard has played, I think Williams may go to the middle. I think Miller might slide down to defensive end, and Williams would move to strong side, Wolfe would move inside. Bannan comes off the field in that scenario rather than Dumervil.

Either way, Williams needs to be on the field.

slim
11-01-2012, 01:09 PM
I think it would take one practice series before Williams asserted himself as better than both Woodyard and Brooking.

But, as good as Woodyard has played, I think Williams may go to the middle. I think Miller might slide down to defensive end, and Williams would move to strong side, Wolfe would move inside. Bannan comes off the field in that scenario rather than Dumervil.

Either way, Williams needs to be on the field.

This is what I'm afraid of. The defense it starting to put it together and I would hate to see many changes made to personnel right now

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Putting better players on the field is not a bad thing. Just because some of you don't like the guy, doesn't mean he's not obviously a better player. He is. He's not a dynamic pass rusher like Miller, but DJ has been more than solid across all three positions at LB.

slim
11-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Putting better players on the field is not a bad thing. Just because some of you don't like the guy, doesn't mean he's not obviously a better player. He is. He's not a dynamic pass rusher like Miller, but DJ has been more than solid across all three positions at LB.

Who is he better than? I think Woodyard is a better player. I guess you could argue he is an upgrade at MLB, but I would have to be convinced about that.

MOtorboat
11-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Who is he better than?

All of 'em.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Who is he better than? I think Woodyard is a better player. I guess you could argue he is an upgrade at MLB, but I would have to be convinced about that.

He's better than Woodyard, and better than our MLB now (lost his name in my head).

slim
11-01-2012, 01:31 PM
All of 'em.

He is better than all of our LB?

Think it through, MOseph.

slim
11-01-2012, 01:33 PM
He's better than Woodyard, and better than our MLB now (lost his name in my head).

Completely disagree about Woodyard. Dude is a playmaker, IMO. Williams is just a guy. Not really all that special.

Dapper Dan
11-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Just because some of you don't like the guy, doesn't mean he's not obviously a better player.

I don't think the only point is "DJ did some bad things off the field, so lets bench him even though he's a better player."

People are saying Woodyard is better and is playing better than DJ would.
They're saying let's not keep DJ because he's done some stupid stuff and doesn't seem reliable.
They're saying a team that's played all season together would keep playing better and don't throw him in as a starter right away.

You keep trying to make it a point that people want him benched solely on his suspensions. I don't see anyone really saying that.

MOtorboat
11-01-2012, 01:39 PM
He is better than all of our LB?

Think it through, MOseph.

I have.

He is a better 4-3 linebacker than anyone on the roster.

slim
11-01-2012, 01:40 PM
I have.

You are smoking crack, brother.

Von Miller is our best player on defense, bar none. That dude can ball.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 01:41 PM
I have.

that changes things a bit, but it's still a pretty stupid comment.

Northman
11-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Completely disagree about Woodyard. Dude is a playmaker, IMO. Williams is just a guy. Not really all that special.

At worse the players are a wash. And considering DJ was a first rounder compared to Woody he probably comes a lot cheaper as well. No, if DJ comes back he wont all of a sudden outplay Woody. Im sure of that.

slim
11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
At worse the players are a wash. And considering DJ was a first rounder compared to Woody he probably comes a lot cheaper as well. No, if DJ comes back he wont all of a sudden outplay Woody. Im sure of that.

One is on the upswing and getting better every week, the other is on the downside of an average career. Not really sure what we are discussing here.

Northman
11-01-2012, 01:50 PM
One is on the upswing and getting better every week, the other is on the downside of an average career. Not really sure what we are discussing here.

Exactly.

MOtorboat
11-01-2012, 02:02 PM
A 30 year old linebacker is on the downswing?

This is obviously just directed at not liking that he was suspended and nothing else.

And I really wish we get a lot of "average" linebackers with Williams' career in the future, because that's a damn good sign for that position in Denver.

slim
11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
A 30 year old linebacker is on the downswing?

This is obviously just directed at not liking that he was suspended and nothing else.

And I really wish we get a lot of "average" linebackers with Williams' career in the future, because that's a damn good sign for that position in Denver.

9th year, MO. For a guy that has made as many tackles as he has, he is getting near the end.

Average was maybe understating it a little, but I'm not sure how to categorize his career. He isn't a "great" player....no pro bowls, never really what I would consider a playmaker or a difference maker, etc.

And there is no way in hell he is a better player than Von Miller. That is just silly talk.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:11 PM
9th year, MO. For a guy that has made as many tackles as he has, he is getting near the end.

Average was maybe understating it a little, but I'm not sure how to categorize his career. He isn't a "great" player....no pro bowls, never really what I would consider a playmaker or a difference maker, etc.

And there is no way in hell he is a better player than Von Miller. That is just silly talk.

it sure isn't objectively based talk. MO is just all a ga ga about the award. He gets more caught up in the moment than anyone I have ever met

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 02:12 PM

Woodyard isn't special. Even Fox was sure to say "he has good straight forward speed." Not exactly saying anything negative, but its not promoting a "playmaker." The guy has done a good job of filling in the hole while he had to, but he's not a guy I would call a "playmaker" in the least.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Woodyard isn't special. Even Fox was sure to say "he has good straight forward speed." Not exactly saying anything negative, but its not promoting a "playmaker." The guy has done a good job of filling in the hole while he had to, but he's not a guy I would call a "playmaker" in the least.

He does alot more than just "filling in the hole" from what I've heard

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:15 PM

He's definitely a playmaker. I think what Slim is saying on DJ is that he could be something special if he had the work ethic and smarts.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't think the only point is "DJ did some bad things off the field, so lets bench him even though he's a better player."

People are saying Woodyard is better and is playing better than DJ would.
They're saying let's not keep DJ because he's done some stupid stuff and doesn't seem reliable.
They're saying a team that's played all season together would keep playing better and don't throw him in as a starter right away.

You keep trying to make it a point that people want him benched solely on his suspensions. I don't see anyone really saying that.

Because I also seem the same posters say the things like "DJ is just an idiot, lets dump the guy" or didn't like DJ to begin with. I don't think anyone from the team has said anything to the effect that Woodyard is a better player. I don't think I've head anyone "in the know" suggest that Woodyard is better. The ONLY people I see suggest that Woodyard are better, are those on the message board that don't care about DJ to begin with.

DJ is the better player. Always has been. Many on the boards are bothered that he isn't a "dynamic" Player. But he's been VERy solid for nearly a decade, playing all three positions, and filling those positions well. No, he's not the best LB in the NFL,..he's not a Von Miller type of athlete, but he's a guy that has been a starter for nearly 10 years, and did it while moving to every position on the LB line...in 43 and 34. Woodyard isn't that kind of athlete, and isn't that kind of player.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 02:17 PM
He's definitely a playmaker. I think what Slim is saying on DJ is that he could be something special if he had the work ethic and smarts.

Thats just silly. DJ has VERY high football smarts..... as we've seen him play under how many DCs now? How many defensive schemes? How many positions along the LB line? 34, 43... and has played them all for nearly 10 years.... and you guys are now trying to tell me he isn't smart and doesn't have "worth ethic"..based on what?

BroncoNut
I am impressed with some plays DJ has made, but he's no Ray Lewis

Ravage!!!
He does alot more than just "filling in the hole" from what I've heard

Really? what have you heard? From whom?

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 02:18 PM

Nooo... no one claims he is or has been

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Thats just silly. DJ has VERY high football smarts..... as we've seen him play under how many DCs now? How many defensive schemes? How many positions along the LB line? 34, 43... and has played them all for nearly 10 years.... and you guys are now trying to tell me he isn't smart and doesn't have "worth ethic"..based on what?

based on what I've seen, and heard. I don't hate DJ like alot of others do, I've been impressed with some of his plays. Actually quite impressed. you say he has not only very high football smarts, but VERY. that is pretty silly in my opiniion. He damn well should have these VERY high football smarts given his experience and what he does for a living. I dont' think it was these football smarts that got him into the situation he's in now.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:22 PM

I didn't say anyone did. quit putting words into my posts

slim
11-01-2012, 02:23 PM

Woodyard is a play maker. For example, he as 3 interceptions and 5 forced fumbles in his career (keep in mind that Woodyard never started more than 7 games in a year until last year and is only in his 5th year).

DJ has 2 Ints and 13 FF in his 9 year career, where he has started nearly every game since he came into the league.

You guys are way overrating DJ's impact on the field.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Really? what have you heard? From whom?

oh brother. I knew this was coming. let me guess, link please?

Good lord Ravage, over the years, I dont' remember

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 02:24 PM
based on what I've seen, and heard. I don't hate DJ like alot of others do, I've been impressed with some of his plays. Actually quite impressed. you say he has not only very high football smarts, but VERY. that is pretty silly in my opiniion. He damn well should have these VERY high football smarts given his experience and what he does for a living. I dont' think it was these football smarts that got him into the situation he's in now.

Yes.. he has VERY high football smarts. Considering the things he's been asked to move to, yes.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Yes.. he has VERY high football smarts. Considering the things he's been asked to move to, yes.

I know you've made that point several times now

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 02:26 PM
oh brother. I knew this was coming. let me guess, link please?

Good lord Ravage, over the years, I dont' remember

I'm confused. YOu said you've heard that Woodyard has done more than just fill a hole. I simply asked from whom did you hear that. That is years of news and resources? I'm asking did you hear it from a talking head, from an ex player in media, did you read it online.. or are you basing that simply on how well Woodyard did this last week?

Good lord, nut, I wasn't asking a lot there.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Woodyard is a play maker. For example, he as 3 interceptions and 5 forced fumbles in his career (keep in mind that Woodyard never started more than 7 games in a year until last year and is only in his 5th year).

DJ has 2 Ints and 13 FF in his 9 year career, where he has started nearly every game since he came into the league.

Frank Reich has the largest comeback in NFL history, when coming in for Jim Kelly after Kelly fell way behind.

slim
11-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Frank Reich has the largest comeback in NFL history, when coming in for Jim Kelly after Kelly fell way behind.

Yeah, that is relevant.

Woody makes more plays. That is a fact.

Ravage!!!

I didn't say anyone did. quit putting words into my posts

:lol: Ooooh Kay nut. I'm putting "words into your posts" :lol:

Unbelievable.

Ravage!!!
Yeah, that is relevant.

Woody makes more plays. That is a fact.

Ok.... why do you suppose he's not started more than 7 games?

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm confused. YOu said you've heard that Woodyard has done more than just fill a hole. I simply asked from whom did you hear that. That is years of news and resources? I'm asking did you hear it from a talking head, from an ex player in media, did you read it online.. or are you basing that simply on how well Woodyard did this last week?

Good lord, nut, I wasn't asking a lot there.

You know what Ravage? You are so damn confused and dont' even realize it. Yep, I posted I had heard that Woodyard did more than fill holes.

Get some simple facts straight before you take on the simple questions...

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:30 PM
:lol: Ooooh Kay nut. I'm putting "words into your posts" :lol:

Unbelievable.

I didn't realize you were such a mess Ravage. damn

slim
11-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Ok.... why do you suppose he's not started more than 7 games?

Because he wasn't a first round pick.

He has now gotten an opportunity and has shown he deserves to be the starter. We'll see how the coaches handle it when DJ comes back, but I will be suprised to see a change made and that position.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 02:33 PM
You know what Ravage? You are so damn confused and dont' even realize it. Yep, I posted I had heard that Woodyard did more than fill holes.

Get some simple facts straight before you take on the simple questions...

Nut, are you drunk? Because you aren't making sense now. You make a post, and then cmplain if people ask you about it. THis post here, doesn't even make sense. Either get back on your meds, or actually read whats being said.

You stated that you've "heard" that Woodyard did more than fill holes.. I asked "where did you hear that".... then you ask if I need a link that might be from years ago.

If you HEARD it.... then where? Who said it? If you read it.. then where? Was it from someone credible or just someone on the message board. But dude, don't tell me I'm the one confused when you can't seem to make a simple post that makes a reasonable amount of sense.

slim
11-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I have heard that Woody can do more than fill a hole too.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Nut, are you drunk? Because you aren't making sense now. You make a post, and then cmplain if people ask you about it. THis post here, doesn't even make sense. Either get back on your meds, or actually read whats being said.

You stated that you've "heard" that Woodyard did more than fill holes.. I asked "where did you hear that".... then you ask if I need a link that might be from years ago.

If you HEARD it.... then where? Who said it? If you read it.. then where? Was it from someone credible or just someone on the message board. But dude, don't tell me I'm the one confused when you can't seem to make a simple post that makes a reasonable amount of sense.

well, I was trying to be polite. maybe your not so much confused as you are just kinda stupid ....... maybe?

just something to think about. oh wait, nevermind.

Northman
11-01-2012, 02:36 PM

Thats ok, neither is DJ. Thats kind of the point.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Because he wasn't a first round pick.

He has now gotten an opportunity and has shown he deserves to be the starter. We'll see how the coaches handle it when DJ comes back, but I will be suprised to see a change made and that position.

Ohhhh.. ok. So he's started along the line for this defense, with MANY different DCs, and several HCs now.. and its all because he was a 1st round pick 9 years ago. Ooo kay. That makes sense. Maybe he was a first round pick because he is a better athlete, and thus, why he's been sure to be kept on the field no matter where they need to move him to?

As I said in another post...several actually... I don't think DJ comes in and replaces Woodyard from the start. considering our starting MLB is now out for the year, I think it makes more sense to put him there.

But I wouldn't be shocked to see DJ on Will and then slide to Mike on passing downs, either.

To be honest, I just don 't care. I just want the BEST player on the field, and I don't care if that player is one that had suspensions. Thats been the only point I had. I'm not into this "don't let him play because he's missed games" crap. If he's the better player, I want him on the field. Simple as that. DJ has ALWAYS been better than Woodyard, and this message board has wrapped their arms around Woodyard because he's NOT DJ. I get that. Some want to hold grudges and whatevers, thats their rights.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:38 PM

seems I might have heard that too, but I'm unable to remember the source to prove to internet strangers that I am an intelligent information gatherer before having any form of an opinion on anything.

slim
11-01-2012, 02:39 PM
I agree. The best player should play. That is all I have been saying.

Ravage!!!
Thats ok, neither is DJ. Thats kind of the point.

If I"m choosing between two "non special" players.. then lets put the best between the two on the field. THATS been the point.

slim
seems I might have heard that too, but I'm unable to remember the source to prove to internet strangers that I am an intelligent information gatherer before having any form of an opinion on anything.

You don't have to prove anything to anybody, Nut.

Life is too short for that shit.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 02:40 PM
that I am an intelligent information gatherer before having any form of an opinion on anything.

We've yet to see any proof of this.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:42 PM

lmao. coming from you that's quite a criticism

Northman
11-01-2012, 02:43 PM

EXCELLENT point. Here are their stats side by side. Keeping in mind how many more years and games DJ has compared to Wes.

Dj Williams-

114 games started
2 Ints
20 sacks
12 FF

Wesley Woodyard-

22 games started
3 ints
4 sacks
4 FF

In no way should Woodyard be faulted for a lack of production just because he hasnt been on the field as much. As proven here when he is in he can be a playmaker if given the chance.

slim
11-01-2012, 02:43 PM

We haven't seen you prove anything in this thread either.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 02:45 PM
You don't have to prove anything to anybody, Nut.

Life is too short for that shit.

I was being facetious. that's a very true philosophy though. life is too short for knocking diks over every litte thing. I dont' get this Ravage fellow, but won't wast much time on it.

slim
11-01-2012, 02:46 PM
EXCELLENT point. Here are their stats side by side. Keeping in mind how many more years and games DJ has compared to Wes.

Dj Williams-

114 games started
2 Ints
20 sacks
12 FF

Wesley Woodyard-

22 games started
3 ints
4 sacks
4 FF

In no way should Woodyard be faulted for a lack of production just because he hasnt been on the field as much. As proven here when he is in he can be a playmaker if given the chance.

I admit I was a little surprised when I looked up the stats.

My eyes told me that Woody was a better player (that he made more impact plays), but didn't expect the stats to be quite that convincing.

Northman
11-01-2012, 02:46 PM
If I"m choosing between two "non special" players.. then lets put the best between the two on the field. THATS been the point.

Judging by the stats and the fact that one guy doesnt steal urine from his dog ill take Woodyard all day long.

slim
11-01-2012, 02:47 PM
I was being facetious. that's a very true philosophy though. life is too short for knocking diks over every litte thing. I dont' get this Ravage fellow, but won't wast much time on it.

I know you were. You were cracking me up, though.

Northman
11-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Something else to consider about their early starts. With still 2 more games early on these are their stats and Woodyard actually makes more plays than DJ does AND yes, makes more tackles.

Dj Williams-

24 games started
2 sacks
1 Int
1 FF
Solo Tackles 122

Wesley Woodyard-

22 games started
3 ints
4 sacks
4 FF
Solo Tackles 182

slim
11-01-2012, 03:02 PM
To be fair, a significant portion of Woody's tackles likely came from ST.

But he is clearly more of an impact player.

Northman
11-01-2012, 03:04 PM
To be fair, a significant portion of Woody's tackles likely came from ST.

But he is clearly more of an impact player.

True, but given that they are solo tackles it still has to be done. And again, not his fault he wasnt starting over a 1st round draft choice. Solo tackles are solo tackles so take that for what its worth.

slim
11-01-2012, 03:05 PM
True, but given that they are solo tackles it still has to be done. And again, not his fault he wasnt starting over a 1st round draft choice. Solo tackles are solo tackles so take that for what its worth.

True.

I am starting to get a woody for Woody.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Judging by the stats and the fact that one guy doesnt steal urine from his dog ill take Woodyard all day long.

Numbers on a sheet and dog piss. Ok.

We've talked about how stats can lean one direction or another depending on what you ant to look for, and how "stats" NEVER EVER EVER tell the whole story as to HOW a player is playing. Never has and never will. Its not batting averages and this isn't baseball.

Also, the "playing over a 1st round pick" ..doesn't really make sense. He's played for 9 years as a starter , and no DC has tried to replace him, and no HC has tried to replace him. A 1st round pick , a decade ago, doesn't really keep a player on the field if he's not the better player.

But as you said, its his off field stuff that bothers you as much as anything.

slim
11-01-2012, 03:21 PM

We've talked about how stats can lean one direction or another depending on what you ant to look for, and how "stats" NEVER EVER EVER tell the whole story as to HOW a player is playing. Never has and never will. Its not batting averages and this isn't baseball.

Also, the "playing over a 1st round pick" ..doesn't really make sense. He's played for 9 years as a starter , and no DC has tried to replace him, and no HC has tried to replace him. A 1st round pick , a decade ago, doesn't really keep a player on the field if he's not the better player.

Actually, he has been "replaced" a number of times. He was constantly moved around the line up so they could get folks like Ian Gold on the field. Not sure that is really a statement of support by the coaching staff.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Actually, he has been "replaced" a number of times. He was constantly moved around the line up so they could get folks like Ian Gold on the field. Not sure that is really a statement of support by the coaching staff.

Did they replace him, or replace someone else WITH DJ? I guess it could be looked both ways. We did bring back Ian for a year, so it made sense to move DJ since he could be moved instead of Ian. But did they make a move to pull DJ off the field, from any DC, any HC? on any scheme whether it was a 34 or 43.. or if they had to put him at MLB?

I think its a complete support by the coaching staff.

Northman
11-01-2012, 03:33 PM

Well, but its not just the off the field stuff though Rav. Its his average ability, ability that even Woodyard seems to do and even in some cases look better than and he isnt a first round. Im not claiming that either guys is Ray Lewis here but to try and paint DJ as a clear cut winner is silly considering how many games each has played. And yea, of course a first round guy is going to get more shots as there is more invested in him. But like Knowmore, we start to see where other factors play in and the players either fall down the draft chart or get cut or traded. Will DJ play this year? Probably. But i can guarantee that he isnt going to be that much of an improvement over Woodyard like you guys seem to suggest.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 03:37 PM

that's what she said

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Well, but its not just the off the field stuff though Rav. Its his average ability, ability that even Woodyard seems to do and even in some cases look better than and he isnt a first round. Im not claiming that either guys is Ray Lewis here but to try and paint DJ as a clear cut winner is silly considering how many games each has played. And yea, of course a first round guy is going to get more shots as there is more invested in him. But like Knowmore, we start to see where other factors play in and the players either fall down the draft chart or get cut or traded. Will DJ play this year? Probably. But i can guarantee that he isnt going to be that much of an improvement over Woodyard like you guys seem to suggest.

I don't know what I'm suggesting other than DJ is better player.

Woodyard made a comment this week about not making the right read and angle on the TD on sproles this last game. That could be one simple thing that DJ does better, on a regular basis, that doesn't show up on a stat sheet. Something that doesnt get talked about, but is exactly the kind of thing that coaches see when making choices between players. Things like that, make the difference between TDs and no TDs.

Im not saying that DJ is going to come in and make this defense the #1 defense in the NFL. I'm just saying that he's a better player, and I want the better players on the field.

Going to your Moreno example.... how long did it take to replace the Moreno and the DE (can't remember his name) with other players, despite them being 1st round picks?

NightTerror218
11-01-2012, 04:09 PM
I don't know what I'm suggesting other than DJ is better player.

Woodyard made a comment this week about not making the right read and angle on the TD on sproles this last game. That could be one simple thing that DJ does better, on a regular basis, that doesn't show up on a stat sheet. Something that doesnt get talked about, but is exactly the kind of thing that coaches see when making choices between players. Things like that, make the difference between TDs and no TDs.

Im not saying that DJ is going to come in and make this defense the #1 defense in the NFL. I'm just saying that he's a better player, and I want the better players on the field.

Going to your Moreno example.... how long did it take to replace the Moreno and the DE (can't remember his name) with other players, despite them being 1st round picks?

on thing that has been talked about is woodyard is better in coverage then Dj. but then again do you think dumbass williams is smart enough to read an offense. He may have good instincts but i dont see him audibling for shit. Also Woodyard is a leader on the team. Williams never will be.

slim
11-01-2012, 04:13 PM
that's what she said

omg. LMMFAO!!!!!!!

MOtorboat
11-01-2012, 04:17 PM
I admit I was a little surprised when I looked up the stats.

My eyes told me that Woody was a better player (that he made more impact plays), but didn't expect the stats to be quite that convincing.

Your eyes suck.

:coffee:

slim
11-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Your eyes suck.

:coffee:

It's a good thing the stats are on my side then :hi:

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 04:26 PM
on thing that has been talked about is woodyard is better in coverage then Dj. but then again do you think dumbass williams is smart enough to read an offense. He may have good instincts but i dont see him audibling for shit. Also Woodyard is a leader on the team. Williams never will be.

DJ has been placed at WLB, SLB, and MLB. He's started at all three in the 43, and been moved to the ILB on a 34. Never once, in the 9 years and umpteen DCs, hve they taken him OFF the field. That "dumbass" is MUCH smarter in football than you would dream to be, and absolutely, 100%, can read a defense. He's done it before. Also, the people that determine if Woodyard is a leader or not, are the players on the team. Not you over here making statements that have zero cred.

MOtorboat
11-01-2012, 04:31 PM
but then again do you think dumbass williams is smart enough to read an offense.

Really?

100 tackles a season...

I wonder if this idiot knows ANYTHING!?!

CoachChaz
11-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I think this thread is a good example of why so many like it end in argument. People infuse their personal emotion into business decisions WAY too much

NightTerror218
11-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Really?

100 tackles a season...

I wonder if this idiot knows ANYTHING!?!

making tackles is one thing. being able to audible the defense to the offensive plays is completely different.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 04:41 PM
I think this thread is a good example of why so many like it end in argument. People infuse their personal emotion into business decisions WAY too much

I thought the arguing got pretty stupid, but I'm not quite sure what yoiu mean by personal emotions and business decisions. I think it's just another case of "if you don't agree with me yoiu are stupid" type of thing.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2012, 04:42 PM
making tackles is one thing. being able to audible the defense to the offensive plays is completely different.

So he's unable to recognize and read defenses throughout his 9 year career, while getting over 100 tackles. Just pure luck and reaction. Ok.

NightTerror218
11-01-2012, 04:45 PM
DJ has been placed at WLB, SLB, and MLB. He's started at all three in the 43, and been moved to the ILB on a 34. Never once, in the 9 years and umpteen DCs, hve they taken him OFF the field. That "dumbass" is MUCH smarter in football than you would dream to be, and absolutely, 100%, can read a defense. He's done it before. Also, the people that determine if Woodyard is a leader or not, are the players on the team. Not you over here making statements that have zero cred.

I never said he was a shitty player. He is good but right now I would rather have Woodyard on my team. I also think that Brookings should stay at MLB right now. he has helped the team and doing a great job.

If you could actually learn to read what I post as a whole you would understand what I was writing. I will always question DJ's IQ or lack there of. But I DO NOT think he is capable of making audibles on the field. Can he play football, hell yes.

NightTerror218
11-01-2012, 04:46 PM
So he's unable to recognize and read defenses throughout his 9 year career, while getting over 100 tackles. Just pure luck and reaction. Ok.

LEARN TO READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AUDIBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ you only read what you want.

CoachChaz
11-01-2012, 04:46 PM
I thought the arguing got pretty stupid, but I'm not quite sure what yoiu mean by personal emotions and business decisions. I think it's just another case of "if you don't agree with me yoiu are stupid" type of thing.

In this scenario, people are letting their dislike for DJ interfere with the fact that he has vakue to this team when he gets back. However...that value interferes with the play time of a guy they like alot. Emotions and business decisions

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 04:50 PM
In this scenario, people are letting their dislike for DJ interfere with the fact that he has vakue to this team when he gets back. However...that value interferes with the play time of a guy they like alot. Emotions and business decisions

I gotcha. I hate both the guys, so I say let the better man play.

CoachChaz
11-01-2012, 04:52 PM

I get what you're saying...but I have a hard time believing he successfully played in the NFL for 9 years and at MLB for 3 or 4 of those years without having the ability to call an audible

NightTerror218
11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I get what you're saying...but I have a hard time believing he successfully played in the NFL for 9 years and at MLB for 3 or 4 of those years without having the ability to call an audible

he played MLB for 1 year due to Al Wilson injury. he was ILB for 2 years under McDaniels where out defense was horrible most of the time.

NightTerror218
11-01-2012, 05:05 PM

In DJ i see a guy who sheds blockers and has good instincts and a knack for making tackles. He is one person i am not worried about taking bad angles or whiffing a tackle. I think he is best suited at WLB here is told what to do and he does it.

Northman
11-01-2012, 05:06 PM

I disagree. I think ive gone through and explained my stance and provided examples along the way. In the grand scheme of things i have no decision if DJ plays or not but my arguments have not been emotionally based. He's an average player and i pointed it out numerous times in this thread.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 05:08 PM
In DJ i see a guy who sheds blockers and has good instincts and a knack for making tackles. He is one person i am not worried about making bad angles or whiffing a tackle. I think he is best suited at WLB here is told what to do and he does it.

I'm sure he can make as good a bagel as anyone but seriously, what in the heck does that have to do with football!!!!!

PLEASE STICK TO TOPIC!!!

NightTerror218
11-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm sure he can make as good a bagel as anyone but seriously, what in the heck does that have to do with football!!!!!

PLEASE STICK TO TOPIC!!!

I am soo soo ssoo sorry for the typo Mr. Nut. I hope you forgive me and I fixed it. I do not want to confuse people about the topic and think I am talking about MO's gf making him bagels or anything making him into a bagle :eek:.

G_Money
11-01-2012, 05:17 PM
This thread is kinda funny.

Look, I hate DJ and I love Woodyard. Woodyard is a leader, an exhorter, a good citizen, and leaves everything on the field (even if he is a bit light in the pants for run defense). DJ is a knucklehead, on and off the field, has lost his captaincy, is viewed as one of the craziest dudes on the team, can't lead in the locker room and is not trusted with the calls on the field.

Still, DJ's made a BUNCH of tackles in his career despite his deficiencies in play analysis, and has tremendous physical tools. DJ is still better than Mays, and should absolutely be on the field in pass coverage instead of Brooking. Should he be on the field in pass coverage in place of Trevathan? I dunno, that's harder. Trevathan is doing a pretty decent job in that area.

Since he has few reps in the system he's certainly gonna be limited in his snaps, but Brooking could get another concussion or pull another hammy at any moment.

For me, DJ is the backup Mike/Will and can see the field on some intermediate passing downs, once he's shown his chops in practice. If he has no chops in practice, then don't mess with the Woodyard/Brooking/Von trifecta with Trevathan on passing downs.

After losing Mays, though, there's no way I cut DJ. He can ride out the season with us, and after we draft a MLB we can cut him in 2013.

~G

slim
11-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Watch out for the "you just hate DJ" crowd. They gonna get you now!

NightTerror218
11-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Watch out for the "you just hate DJ" crowd. They gonna get you now!

I cant wait for him to come back. We need some depth at LB.

BroncoNut
11-01-2012, 05:33 PM
I am soo soo ssoo sorry for the typo Mr. Nut. I hope you forgive me and I fixed it. I do not want to confuse people about the topic and think I am talking about MO's gf making him bagels or anything making him into a bagle :eek:.

In understand NT. Hey, we're all tired. let's go home and get some rest behind us and deal better with it tomorrow

drewloc
11-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Really all of this is speculation, I feel that in the past, as G stated, DJ has some good physical tools, and also had his deficiencies. I also believe that right now, Woodyard is playing lights out. If Coach Fox chooses to replace Woody with DJ, after he has his feel for the defense back, I trust that he's a better player. If he starts DJ at Mike, then he believes he gives us an upgrade there. I think that both are good players with their given abilities.

With that said though, if Woodyard does get replaced and the coaches make that move, would the Woodyard supporters admit that DJ is the better player? On the flip side, if DJ doesn't see the field instead of spelling guys here or there(similar to what Mays was relegated to), will the DJ supporters admit that Woody is a better player right now? Frankly I really don't care who is on the field, as long as the Broncos kick some teeth in on Defense the rest of the year. :salute:

NightTerror218
11-01-2012, 05:34 PM
In understand NT. Hey, we're all tired. let's go home and get some rest behind us and deal better with it tomorrow

i wish i could only 2 1/2 more hours till I am off work. Coffee ran out too.

Nomad
11-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Woodyard was fun to watch Sunday night. If DJ would put the gin n juice down and quit driving drunk perhaps he could contribute to the BRONCOS.

Chef Zambini
11-01-2012, 06:04 PM
LEARN TO READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AUDIBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ you only read what you want.welcome to my world.

Northman
11-02-2012, 07:17 AM
At worst we could put DJ on ST's. There seems to be an opening there now.

Chillez
11-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Congrats Woodyard! Keep playing like total beast out there. :salute:

BroncoNut
11-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Really all of this is speculation, I feel that in the past, as G stated, DJ has some good physical tools, and also had his deficiencies. I also believe that right now, Woodyard is playing lights out. If Coach Fox chooses to replace Woody with DJ, after he has his feel for the defense back, I trust that he's a better player. If he starts DJ at Mike, then he believes he gives us an upgrade there. I think that both are good players with their given abilities.

With that said though, if Woodyard does get replaced and the coaches make that move, would the Woodyard supporters admit that DJ is the better player? On the flip side, if DJ doesn't see the field instead of spelling guys here or there(similar to what Mays was relegated to), will the DJ supporters admit that Woody is a better player right now? Frankly I really don't care who is on the field, as long as the Broncos kick some teeth in on Defense the rest of the year. :salute:

good post Drewloc. Good post. some people just need to polarize everything for some reason. the bottom line is, is we are not the decision makers nor the professionals. sure, we've see these fellows every Sunday in gametime, but we are not employees of the NFL. Gee, I wonder why?

HORSEPOWER 56
11-02-2012, 02:07 PM
You don't bench a player because he "might" get suspended.

And you don't cut a healthy player who isn't suspended that is your best linebacker.

Like Coach said, I get it, you hate him because he's a bit of a scumbag, but he can play, so he will.

FYI, DJ isn't our "best LB". He lost that title on draft day last year to the #2 overall pick. Even if he was "better" than everyone else, he's never had a season like Woodyard is having so far this year. Woodyard has 61 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 INTs, and a FF in 7 games. DJ has never put up numbers like that before. DJ, for all his athleticism, has ever had more than 1 INT in a season and his best sack total is 5.5 in 16 games. In 8 years, he's only exceeded 100 tackles twice. Last year he only had 70 in 13 games played.

DJ is a decent, starting caliber LB, nothing more, nothing less. No probowls, no all-pro selections, and almost ZERO impact plays that have changed games in 8 years of opportunity and ZERO competition for his job. People are just making this guy out to be more than he is. He's just not as good as people give him credit for on the field, and he sure as shit isn't worth a damn off it.

Ravage!!!
11-02-2012, 03:52 PM
This "he's never had a season like this" thing is Sooooo overstated. So what? DJ has been playing for nearly 10 years, and wood hasn't had 2 starting seasons. Can he do it more than once? Can he even finish the year strong? Isn't it the tell of a player on how well he lasts, consistantly, over time?? Of course.

Look... Marino, Tarkenton, Fouts, Moon and Kelly never won a Super Bowl... while Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien do. So we could say "these HoF QBs never had a season like these others have."

Frank Reich has the greatest comeback game in NFL history. So none of the HoF QBs have "never had a come back like Frank did." Does that mean anything? Its so overstated. Have we never seen a player come in, off the bench, and play fantastically for a season? How many back-up QBs have been hired throughout the years because they come of the bench and play lights out for a season? Does that make them better than the player the subbed for?

I get it, some of you hate DJ because he's been suspended, but Woodyard is getting the "over hype" that some of you claim DJ has gotten, and its mainly because he's opposing DJ. It like the old saying "the favorite player on the roster is the back-up."

GEM
11-02-2012, 03:55 PM
This "he's never had a season like this" thing is Sooooo overstated. So what? DJ has been playing for nearly 10 years, and wood hasn't had 2 starting seasons. Can he do it more than once? Can he even finish the year strong? Isn't it the tell of a player on how well he lasts, consistantly, over time?? Of course.

Look... Marino, Tarkenton, Fouts, Moon and Kelly never won a Super Bowl... while Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien do. So we could say "these HoF QBs never had a season like these others have."

Frank Reich has the greatest comeback game in NFL history. So none of the HoF QBs have "never had a come back like Frank did." Does that mean anything? Its so overstated. Have we never seen a player come in, off the bench, and play fantastically for a season? How many back-up QBs have been hired throughout the years because they come of the bench and play lights out for a season? Does that make them better than the player the subbed for?

I get it, some of you hate DJ because he's been suspended, but Woodyard is getting the "over hype" that some of you claim DJ has gotten, and its mainly because he's opposing DJ. It like the old saying "the favorite player on the roster is the back-up."

I guess when you have shit LBers, the best of the shit LBers seems all world. :lol:

Ravage!!!
11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
I guess when you have shit LBers, the best of the shit LBers seems all world. :lol:

Ahhh.. the "all world" come back again.

CoachChaz
11-02-2012, 04:09 PM

I think it really comes down to evaluating the talent as opposed to the person. WW and DJ have their place and it would be in the best interest of the team to let each thrive in their best places.

BroncoNut
11-02-2012, 04:32 PM
I think it really comes down to evaluating the talent as opposed to the person. WW and DJ have their place and it would be in the best interest of the team to let each thrive in their best places.

yeah. look at them as prize animals. I like that Coach

(just kidding)