PDA

View Full Version : From New Orleans Media- Broncos Outsmart Saints

BroncoWave
10-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Thought this was a really good article. Seems like this was the first game all season we really came in with a great gameplan that worked throughout the game. Hopefully we build on that and continue to get off to better starts.

The mismatch started with the Broncos' surprise decision to line up in a seldom-used offensive formation for most of the game -- using two tight ends instead of their usual three receivers.
The Saints were so sure that the Broncos would line up in their typical three-receiver formation that they actually kept nose tackle Brodrick Bunkley and strong-side linebacker Scott Shanle inactive for the game, figuring they wouldn't need them.

As a result, the Saints spent almost the entire game in their nickel defense, with just two linebackers on the field. And the Broncos gashed them all night with their running game. Tailbacks Willis McGahee and Ronnie Hillman combined for 208 yards on 37 carries.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/10/post_237.html

MasterShake
10-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Thought this was a really good article. Seems like this was the first game all season we really came in with a great gameplan that worked throughout the game. Hopefully we build on that and continue to get off to better starts.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/10/post_237.html

That's interesting, never really realized that watching the game. Thinking back I only ever really saw the bunch formations in the red zone which was killing the Saints D.

MOtorboat
10-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Who keeps their starting strong side linebacker and starting defensive tackle inactive. They mentioned it in the broadcast, and it was just a "huh?" moment.

That thought process would have me incensed if I was a Saints fan. Would Payton have done that?

Chef Zambini
10-31-2012, 11:41 AM
2 TE and a fullback, runa nd pas from this formation as your base offense.
I have been promoting this for years! even in the face of the new pass happy NFL ! finally we bring a toip tier QB to the table , and WTF , HEIS the one who recognizes the value of my thinking and brings success to fruition !
and WTF, we start the game with a winning gameplan on both sides of the ball !
I was most impressed with our DEFENSES ability to stop the saints ! I expect manning and Co. to put up points, the D has made the biggest improvements over the last 6 quarters of football !
lets see if we can keep andy dalton and his squad under 20 points !
special teams?
I continue to hold my breath.

SR
10-31-2012, 11:58 AM
I have been promoting this for years! even in the face of the new pass happy NFL ! finally we bring a toip tier QB to the table , and WTF , HEIS the one who recognizes the value of my thinking and brings success to fruition !
I was most impressed with our DEFENSES ability to stop the saints ! I expect manning and Co. to put up points, the D has made the biggest improvements over the last 6 quarters of football !
special teams?

Effing painful to read.

BTB, thanks for posting this dude. Great read. The writer they have hammering out these articles knows his stuff and is pretty unbias it seems.

MasterShake
10-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Effing painful to read.

BTB, thanks for posting this dude. Great read. The writer they have hammering out these articles knows his stuff and is pretty unbias it seems.

I love reading me some Chef Zambini! It helps if you read it in this voice:

ax9Qfs3Bz3A

slim
10-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Who keeps their starting strong side linebacker and starting defensive tackle inactive. They mentioned it in the broadcast, and it was just a "huh?" moment.

That thought process would have me incensed if I was a Saints fan. Would Payton have done that?

Yeah, I think they kind of outsmarted themselves.

Like Pitts did in the playoffs last year.

BroncoWave
10-31-2012, 01:35 PM
And on top of all that Spags has gone from the hot young HC candidate to a flameout HC and now leading a historically bad defense. He's fallen pretty quickly.

MileHighCrew
10-31-2012, 01:41 PM
wonder how upset Bunkley is about missing a return to Denver.

DenBronx
10-31-2012, 03:04 PM

I know right? Guess dropping 225 rushing yards on them will make them think twice about ever doing that again. Damn Bunkley is going to waste in NO now! We really could have used him here.

BroncoWave
10-31-2012, 03:36 PM
I know right? Guess dropping 225 rushing yards on them will make them think twice about ever doing that again. Damn Bunkley is going to waste in NO now! We really could have used him here.

I don't think we're really missing him. Our D is doing just fine without him. If we keep playing like against NOLA and building early leads a run-stiffing DT like Bunkley won't really be a huge need for us.

weazel
10-31-2012, 05:40 PM
it doesnt explain how our defense held them to almost nothing.

weazel
10-31-2012, 05:42 PM
special teams?

I dont?
know
what you!
are,
saying.

NightTerror218
10-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Glad Fox and company finally out coached someone after they forgot to show up against the Pats.