PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning's thumb 'fine'

Denver Native (Carol)
10-29-2012, 09:46 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Peyton Manning counts himself fortunate. Consider his team furious.

Manning acknowledged he was "probably a little bit lucky" that he banged the right thumbnail and not the knuckle of his throwing hand on New Orleans defensive end Martez Wilson's helmet Sunday night.

It's what happened a split-second later that has the Broncos miffed.

The crown of Wilson's helmet smacked into Manning's chin, a play the Broncos are expected to have the league look at this week.

Although no flag was thrown, it was similar to the illegal hit last month that cost Broncos linebacker Joe Mays a $50,000 fine and a one-game suspension for blasting Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub.

rest - good article - talking about offense, defense, special teams
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8570985/denver-broncos-nfl-look-martez-wilson-hit-peyton-manning

FanInAZ
10-30-2012, 12:02 AM
I was worried about his thumb when it 1st happened, but I stopped worrying when he proceeded to touch the Saints D in the 2nd half. As far as the hit, I guess I'm just old school and so I didn't see anything wrong with the hit. Nevertheless, if our guy is going to get suspended for a similar hit against someone else, then their guy should get suspended for that hit on Manning.

spikerman
10-30-2012, 06:26 AM
I didn't even realize he hurt his thumb until I got back to my hotel and saw it on ESPN. Sometimes ingorance is bliss.

NightTerror218
10-30-2012, 12:36 PM
of course it is fine. I am just glad he got up after that helmet to chin hit he took. that could fine/suspend a Saints player (one that should already be suspended if Goodell got his way).

Ravage!!!
10-30-2012, 12:42 PM
I didn't see a helmet to chin hit on Manning... must have been pretty circumstantial or slight

NightTerror218
10-30-2012, 12:45 PM
I didn't see a helmet to chin hit on Manning... must have been pretty circumstantial or slight

Articles are on ESPN and NFL.com

The hit was on the 23 yard completion to Decker. Hard to see because the camera follows the pass instead of showing the hit.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000087434/article/peyton-manning-lucky-to-escape-thumb-injury-vs-saints

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8570985/denver-broncos-nfl-look-martez-wilson-hit-peyton-manning

slim
10-30-2012, 01:04 PM

He got clobbered on that play.

Cleary should have been a penalty

Ravage!!!
10-30-2012, 01:08 PM
He got clobbered on that play.

Cleary should have been a penalty

huh.. I honestly didn't see it. I wonder what happened that took my eyes from the screen..seriously.. I was glued (or so I thought)

CoachChaz
10-30-2012, 01:15 PM
He took a good hit and I remember posting in the game thread, "how is that not a penalty?". Then I saw the replay and immediately posted, "nevermind". yes...he got hit hard, but "ilegally"? I dont think so.

NightTerror218
10-30-2012, 01:27 PM
He took a good hit and I remember posting in the game thread, "how is that not a penalty?". Then I saw the replay and immediately posted, "nevermind". yes...he got hit hard, but "ilegally"? I dont think so.

Any hit to head/neck region is a penalty.

CoachChaz
10-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Guess I missed the same helmet that met his thumb, make contact with his head/neck. Looked more facemask to upper chest to me...but who cares. PM is fine...we won

slim
10-30-2012, 01:48 PM
huh.. I honestly didn't see it. I wonder what happened that took my eyes from the screen..seriously.. I was glued (or so I thought)

:noidea:

He took a shot to the chin (helmet to chin). But like Coach said, doesn't matter at this point.

Ravage!!!
10-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Any hit to head/neck region is a penalty.

Not true.

I'm guess im asking where the tacklers helmet hit. Did it hit the chest and slide up to the chin? Did he hit the chest and manning chin just hit the top/side/back of the helmet? Its SOoo hard to tackle someone from the front and not have their chin 'hit' the helmet, that I don't think you call EVERY hit that touches the head/neck region, a penalty.

I guess I missed this vicious hit that manning took. I'll try to find a replay of it.

slim
10-30-2012, 01:53 PM

NightTerror218
10-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Not true.

I'm guess im asking where the tacklers helmet hit. Did it hit the chest and slide up to the chin? Did he hit the chest and manning chin just hit the top/side/back of the helmet? Its SOoo hard to tackle someone from the front and not have their chin 'hit' the helmet, that I don't think you call EVERY hit that touches the head/neck region, a penalty.

I guess I missed this vicious hit that manning took. I'll try to find a replay of it.

helmet to chin. He was drilled and got right back up.

CoachChaz
10-30-2012, 01:59 PM
I think we need a video replay

slim
10-30-2012, 02:01 PM
They showed the replay a few times. I thought it should have been a penalty.

I haven't watched it again, though.

CoachChaz
10-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Yeah...the initial replay is when I changed my mind. I'd be interested to see it again, though

smith49
10-30-2012, 04:42 PM

It was slight. But so was mays's hit on schaub(as far as H to H is concerned). There needs to be some consistency, but there never will be.

FanInAZ
10-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Nice thought, but Manning throws right handed, so we need to see a pic of him raising his right thumb. I'm not actually concerned about this after watching his 2nd half performance, but the Bengals should be.

slim
10-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Nice thought, but Manning throws right handed, so we need to see a pic of him raising his right thumb. I'm not actually concerned about this after watching his 2nd half performance, but the Bengals should be.

Maybe that picture was taken in a mirror. Did you ever think of that?

LawDog
10-30-2012, 06:23 PM

BroncoNut
10-30-2012, 06:42 PM

it was quite a deal. He was shaking it off, it was bothering him. they commented on it for awhile

BroncoNut
10-30-2012, 06:43 PM
They showed the replay a few times. I thought it should have been a penalty.

I haven't watched it again, though.

I dont' know about that. He was in a throwing motion and the thumb hit the defensive player