PDA

View Full Version : Porter or Harris

Army Bronco
10-28-2012, 11:13 PM
So after these last two games with Harris and Carter playing, should Porter keep his starting job? Harris has been solid as a starter and Carter also in the nickel. Thoughts?

MOtorboat
10-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Yes.

Both need to be on the field, though.

Army Bronco
10-28-2012, 11:40 PM
I just thought Porter was not playing well prior to the SD game and that Harris has played solid. I also see Harris as a player who can stuff the run.

jhildebrand
10-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Harris all day every day. Kid can ball. Porter is goners.

Simple Jaded
10-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Harris is a NB, Porter is the starter. Carter makes Denver as deep at CB as I can remember.......

jhildebrand
10-29-2012, 12:02 AM
I think Harris has shown he is more than a NB at this point. Kid is coming on like Darrent (God rest his soul).

Stick77
10-29-2012, 09:02 AM
If Porter is healthy, he should definately be on the field. Only makes them stronger.

camdisco24
10-29-2012, 10:27 AM
I think Harris has shown his true value the past two games. Can't ignore his upside, and we must continue to use him... that being said, Porter should remain the starter. Both make our backfield stronger than we've seen it in quite some time.

G_Money
10-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Harris is terrific at nickel, and great at covering bigger guys as well as playing the run. Carter looks better than Harris at man-to-man out there on the island. Our D looks really solid with Harris as the 5th DB, but Carter's not meant to be a 6. He's not a dime-package corner.

It's great that Carter is showing we might have a cover corner in development on the outside, since Champ isn't immortal. I don't think Porter should lose his job - I like him - but having Carter able to come in is terrific. He just needs to play the outside to take full advantage of his skillset.

If you wanna know my real solution? Harris becomes a hybrid CB/S and moves to safety in certain situations to get Rahim "The Dream" Moore off the effing field. He looks the same size as Braxton, he's not afraid of bigger guys, he's great at taking guys out of the backfield and TEs crossing the field...

We could do worse than getting Carter on the field more and Moore on the field less - and it would help Carter round into a more complete corner.

Just a thought.

~G

Northman
10-29-2012, 10:50 AM
I say both, we need all the help we can get.

Chef Zambini
10-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Harris is terrific at nickel, and great at covering bigger guys as well as playing the run. Carter looks better than Harris at man-to-man out there on the island. Our D looks really solid with Harris as the 5th DB, but Carter's not meant to be a 6. He's not a dime-package corner.

It's great that Carter is showing we might have a cover corner in development on the outside, since Champ isn't immortal. I don't think Porter should lose his job - I like him - but having Carter able to come in is terrific. He just needs to play the outside to take full advantage of his skillset.

If you wanna know my real solution? Harris becomes a hybrid CB/S and moves to safety in certain situations to get Rahim "The Dream" Moore off the effing field. He looks the same size as Braxton, he's not afraid of bigger guys, he's great at taking guys out of the backfield and TEs crossing the field...

We could do worse than getting Carter on the field more and Moore on the field less - and it would help Carter round into a more complete corner.

Just a thought.

~GI expect JDR to make the right adjustments and personnel decisions.
if he moved champ to safety, offenses would be clueless about match-ups and where to go. if we did it while champ was still at top speed he could steel every deep ball and blitz from the middle of the field and add SACKS to his contributions !

NightTerror218
10-29-2012, 12:19 PM
I think both can add some nice packages to our defense. Since both are good. But Harris is out long term answer now. Porter is not very old either. But I think that overall harris can be champs replacement down the line and Porter can be opposite Harris. I hope that is in a couple years.

Krugan
10-29-2012, 01:02 PM
I expect JDR to make the right adjustments and personnel decisions.
if he moved champ to safety, offenses would be clueless about match-ups and where to go. if we did it while champ was still at top speed he could steel every deep ball and blitz from the middle of the field and add SACKS to his contributions !

Although your heads thinking, its not the time to move champ anywhere...

Seriously, the defense is just stating to work, and you want to move THE MOST SOLID PIECE to a new spot?

Makes no sense to do that at this point in time.

Chef Zambini
10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
please re-read the first half of my post.
asng as champ says NO to any move it wont happen, meanwhile JDR will make the best use of his players and the 11 he puts on the field.

MasterShake
10-29-2012, 03:05 PM
So after these last two games with Harris and Carter playing, should Porter keep his starting job? Harris has been solid as a starter and Carter also in the nickel. Thoughts?

vgk-lA12FBk

Buff
10-29-2012, 03:17 PM
I would be shocked if Porter gets his starting spot back when he is healthy. Harris and Carter have been excellent in his absence, and the team has sort of found a groove on defense. I think he'll be coming off the bench at least for the forseeable future.

DenBronx
10-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Bailey, Harris and Porter all need to be on the field at the same time. Carter can come in and out when needed. I must say I am very impressed with this group of DBs. For years we have been getting torched oposite of Bailey and now we finally have guys who have stepped up.

But I'm equally impressed with our WRs too. Even our LBs have played better since Mays was benched.

Krugan
10-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Re-reading that has nothing to do with your idea that it would be a good idea to move champ anywhere right now.

slim
10-29-2012, 06:38 PM
I would be shocked if Porter gets his starting spot back when he is healthy. Harris and Carter have been excellent in his absence, and the team has sort of found a groove on defense. I think he'll be coming off the bench at least for the forseeable future.

I think this is how it should be. But I wouldn't be shocked to see them go back to Porter. This coaching staff tends to be stubborn about such things, for some reason.

NightTerror218
10-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Putting Harris at Safety does not mean he will be able to play safety better then Moore.

Dzone
10-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Porter can be a backup and NB as needed. He wasnt missed much last night.

Army Bronco
10-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Well, i personally like Harris's tenacity. I really wish we could get another Atwater but i think Goodell has made that impossible for any team in the NFL. Well, our D is gellin so i feel we should keep this line up

Tebowtime2011
10-30-2012, 08:54 PM
I think we should keep harris at #2 CB and carter at NB and trade porter before the deadline because IMO besides the steelers game porter had been disappointing in his performance.

SR
10-30-2012, 08:58 PM
I think we should keep harris at #2 CB and carter at NB and trade porter before the deadline because IMO besides the steelers game porter had been disappointing in his performance.

Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Tebowtime2011
10-30-2012, 09:04 PM

Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner I dont get it what dont you understand.

SR
10-30-2012, 09:05 PM
I dont get it what dont you understand.

Why you think any of your post is a good idea.

Tebowtime2011
10-30-2012, 09:07 PM
I dont get it what dont you understand.

Why you think any of your post is a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner Why do you think we should keep porter when has he shown you good football besides the steelers game?

MOtorboat
10-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Why do you think we should keep porter when has he shown you good football besides the steelers game?

Porter is a much more polished and solid cornerback than Harris or Carter, so I'm not exactly sure what you're watching,

Your reliance on the Pittsburgh game, likely means you look at cornerbacks based on interceptions, and granted both Harris and Carter both have had interceptions since then.

It's the same trap Zam and bcbronc fall into when they are evaluating cornerback play. They see interceptions, and only value a cornerback on interceptions, and that's a very basic, simplistic view of the role of a cornerback.

Tebowtime2011
10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Why do you think we should keep porter when has he shown you good football besides the steelers game?

Porter is a much more polished and solid cornerback than Harris or Carter, so I'm not exactly sure what you're watching,

Your reliance on the Pittsburgh game, likely means you look at cornerbacks based on interceptions, and granted both Harris and Carter both have had interceptions since then.

It's the same trap Zam and bcbronc fall into when they are evaluating cornerback play. They see interceptions, and only value a cornerback on interceptions, and that's a very basic, simplistic view of the role of a cornerback. Exactly because you can read my mind I dont evaluate on interceptions its the ability to stop plays and I dont know what you have been watching either because when has tracy porter been solid this year? When he was getting toasted by the falcons WRs?

MOtorboat
10-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Exactly because you can read my mind I dont evaluate on interceptions its the ability to stop plays and I dont know what you have been watching either because when has tracy porter been solid this year? When he was getting toasted by the falcons WRs?

The Falcons threw for only 219 yards in that game. 178 yards of those came against wide receivers who weren't covered by Porter.

What exactly are you talking about?

MOtorboat
10-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Here are the plays Porter was involved in heavily against Atlanta:
-2 yard loss to Julio Jones, Porter with tackle
1 yard gain to Julio Jones, Porter with tackle
Incomplete pass to Julio Jones
Roddy White for 8 yards on Porter's side of the field, on a cross
15-yard gain for Roddy White

Seriously, if you're going to come with a "torched" argument, you better come with something better than that.

Tebowtime2011
10-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Here are the plays Porter was involved in heavily against Atlanta:
-2 yard loss to Julio Jones, Porter with tackle
1 yard gain to Julio Jones, Porter with tackle
Incomplete pass to Julio Jones
Roddy White for 8 yards on Porter's side of the field, on a cross
15-yard gain for Roddy White

Seriously, if you're going to come with a "torched" argument, you better come with something better than that. Yes so roddy white magically got 102 yards on the defense. I'm done arguing tracy porter probably will still be starting and if he does as fantastic as you are insisting then I will admit I was wrong.

MOtorboat
10-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Yes so roddy white magically got 102 yards on the defense. I'm done arguing tracy porter probably will still be starting and if he does as fantastic as you are insisting then I will admit I was wrong.

Do you know how White got those 102 yards?

That's the question. You asserted it was Porter. Can you back that up?

MOtorboat
10-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Wait.

I found an slant to White for 20 yards that Porter was involved in, though it was obviously a miscommunication between Woodyard and Moore, but we can put that on Porter, if you like.

Simple Jaded
10-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Exactly because you can read my mind I dont evaluate on interceptions its the ability to stop plays and I dont know what you have been watching either because when has tracy porter been solid this year? When he was getting toasted by the falcons WRs?

So if CB's don't "stop" every play they're getting "toasted"?

Btw, define "stop".......

Timmy!
10-30-2012, 10:51 PM
I think its fine either way. Porter is still a better cb than Harris or Carter, but those two are playing very well and the defense is rolling. Also, looking at the future Porter is only here on a 1 year contract, so Harris and Carter could be our future starting cbs. Frankly, this is not a bad problem to have.

Tebowtime2011
10-31-2012, 03:00 AM

So if CB's don't "stop" every play they're getting "toasted"?

Btw, define "stop"....... I never said that if a CB doesn't stop every play they are getting toasted re-read my post next time before responding. And by stop I mean the qb didnt throw the ball to the person you are covering because you are playing acceptional defense.

SR
10-31-2012, 05:13 AM
I never said that if a CB doesn't stop every play they are getting toasted re-read my post next time before responding. And by stop I mean the qb didnt throw the ball to the person you are covering because you are playing acceptional defense.

So since Champ was stuck on Colston for the majority of the game Sunday but Colston still managed five catches, we should probably dump him before the deadline too. I see what you're trying to say. Brilliant.

Tebowtime2011
10-31-2012, 11:36 PM
I never said that if a CB doesn't stop every play they are getting toasted re-read my post next time before responding. And by stop I mean the qb didnt throw the ball to the person you are covering because you are playing acceptional defense.

So since Champ was stuck on Colston for the majority of the game Sunday but Colston still managed five catches, we should probably dump him before the deadline too. I see what you're trying to say. Brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner I never said that either stop putting words in my mouth. You have to make up lies to superior, well whatever fits your insecurities.

Tebowtime2011
10-31-2012, 11:48 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner I admit the trade was a little far fetched but you thinking you can read my mind and know what I'm thinking is a joke.

Simple Jaded
11-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I read your post just fine.......

ShaneFalco
11-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Harris, Up and Coming, versus old and Fading but experienced.... i would go harris regular season and maybe porter for playoffs

MOtorboat
11-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Harris, Up and Coming, versus old and Fading but experienced.... i would go harris regular season and maybe porter for playoffs

Porter is 26.

Buff
11-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Harris and Carter have played too well the last couple weeks to take them out... It's not so much a knock on Porter as a credit to the young guys.

Jsteve01
11-01-2012, 07:21 PM

Excellent use of logic.

NightTerror218
11-01-2012, 07:23 PM
let Harris /carter plan and throw porter in. if porter shines then replace him with the lesser of the two youngsters.

Jsteve01
11-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Porter only looked bad in the Houston game and that with a deep thigh/knee bruise. If you've never had one then let me just say that I'm surprised he played a well as he did on that injury. For those of you who will try to compare a nasty contusion to a booboo please save it.

Jsteve01
11-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I never like seeing a Guy who's been playing well lose his job due to injury. That's a Wade Phillips move

NightTerror218
11-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Porter only looked bad in the Houston game and that with a deep thigh/knee bruise. If you've never had one then let me just say that I'm surprised he played a well as he did on that injury. For those of you who will try to compare a nasty contusion to a booboo please save it.

IMO porter has missed practice and health is lingering question and Harris/Carter are playing incredibly well. If their play slips then put Porter in.

Army Bronco
11-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Porter only looked bad in the Houston game and that with a deep thigh/knee bruise. If you've never had one then let me just say that I'm surprised he played a well as he did on that injury. For those of you who will try to compare a nasty contusion to a booboo please save it. You are so right. That perennial nerve is sensitive. The first time i sparred with a guy who learned Muay Thai in Thailand kicked me in my right thigh. I fell and did not get up for a while..lol I couldnt walk right for two days...lol i had to learn to defend that strike quickly.,

Tebowtime2011
11-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I read your post just fine....... obviously you didnt.

MOtorboat
11-01-2012, 09:57 PM
obviously you didnt.

Have you figured out how Porter got "torched" against Atlanta yet?

Simple Jaded
11-01-2012, 10:19 PM
obviously you didnt.

You think Porter gets toasted because opposing QB's throw to his man, I read your posts just fine.

Btw, it's "exceptional", not acceptional.......

bcbronc
11-01-2012, 10:20 PM
It's the same trap Zam and bcbronc fall into when they are evaluating cornerback play. They see interceptions, and only value a cornerback on interceptions, and that's a very basic, simplistic view of the role of a cornerback.

lol, nice try. I've never said anything remotely like that, and wouldn't since I don't agree. The only thing simplistic is your weak ass arguments. :lol:

Porter should step right back into his starting spot in his first practice back. After that, it's up to him to keep it. Depth looks much better, but it's one thing to do it for a couple games, another thing to do it for now on. If Porter picks up where he left off, he'll be back on the field.

MOtorboat
11-01-2012, 10:23 PM
lol, nice try. I've never said anything remotely like that, and wouldn't since I don't agree. The only thing simplistic is your weak ass arguments. :lol:

Porter should step right back into his starting spot in his first practice back. After that, it's up to him to keep it. Depth looks much better, but it's one thing to do it for a couple games, another thing to do it for now on. If Porter picks up where he left off, he'll be back on the field.

My weak ass arguments are supported by every general manager in the league.

What are yours supported by?

bcbronc
11-01-2012, 10:51 PM
My weak ass arguments are supported by every general manager in the league.

What are yours supported by?

Superbowls.

MOtorboat
11-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Superbowls.

You heard it here first, folks.

Safeties win championships.

:rolleyes:

What a stupid argument.

Army Bronco
11-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Porter is back and apparently has lost the starting position for now. I guess we will see Sunday.

FanInAZ
11-02-2012, 03:32 AM

Wait.

I found an slant to White for 20 yards that Porter was involved in, though it was obviously a miscommunication between Woodyard and Moore, but we can put that on Porter, if you like.

This is why it’s impossible to evaluate D players on their stats alone. So much of playing D, especially at the NFL level, is playing TEAM D. You watch a replay, and it’s obvious on some plays that the CB was expecting S help that he didn’t get. Should the CB have expected help, but got let down by the S; or did the CB get his assignment mix up on that play. Unless you get invited to the team’s next film meeting, you’ll never actually know.

bcbronc
11-02-2012, 03:56 AM
You heard it here first, folks.

Safeties win championships.

:rolleyes:

What a stupid argument.

Come on Mo, everyone knows it's corners that win Superbowls. Ask Champ.

Dzone
11-02-2012, 10:11 AM
I shot myself in the calf once. I couldnt walk for a week

Dzone
11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Porter misses practice this morning? Thats what they said on radio.
Fox said Carter is the best cover guy he has ever coached.

MOtorboat
11-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Porter misses practice this morning? Thats what they said on radio.
Fox said Carter is the best cover guy he has ever coached.

Fox actually said that?

swaiy
11-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Champ must have had those days off when Fox was seeing Carter as the best cover guy he ever coached.

Ravage!!!
11-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Fox actually said that?

The announcers said something like that during the NO game...but not sure if they said he was the "best cover" guy... something to the effect that he was one of the best at recognizing routes..... but couldn't give you an exact quote.

Dzone
11-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Fox via Collinsworth, so who knows if its true

Fox: "Tony Carter has as much cover ability as anyone I've ever coached."

Ravage!!!
11-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Fox via Collinsworth, so who knows if its true

Carter sure looked like he did against the Saints.

cmc0605
11-03-2012, 02:41 PM
As far as I can see, once Porter is back, we have 4 CBs who have been playing very well. As much as it hurts someone's feelings, they all can't be on the field on every play, but you have to love the depth we have.

Porter should stay in the starting spot. Right now he's the better guy, regardless of whether he got beat a couple times in the early part of the season. That's going to happen once in a while when you get attacked a lot (Champ on the other side) and are playing against some of the best athletes in the world. The fact that Carter and Harris haven't gotten torched by guys like Andre Johnson yet over the span of two games does not mean they are immune to it. But Harris just keeps making plays for us and is evolving into one of the best nickle players in the league. In today's NFL, he'll see a lot of playing time regardless of who you call the #2 corner.

Army Bronco
11-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Porter will miss his third game. The seizure symptoms must have been bad. Im hoping he gets well soon, not just for us but for himself.

Joel
11-04-2012, 08:10 AM
I expect JDR to make the right adjustments and personnel decisions.
Champ isn't at top speed now, hence Harris and Carters performances make this an ideal time to move him to safety. Mike Adams and Jim Leonhard are adequate but unexceptional, and we have NOTHING behind them. I agree with Krugan that we should do it in the offseason though, as long as the D keeps playing well and we don't go back to getting torched deep a lot.

Really glad to see Harris on the field more and playing well, regardless; he's clearly learned a lot from Champ in just a few years, playing the run brutally and the pass solidly.

MOtorboat
11-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Jeebus.

It is not time to move Champ.

Simple Jaded
11-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I might actually like to see Carter and Harris get to cover Aj Green so people would have a hint of reality.......

Army Bronco
11-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Harris and Carter played well again.