PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey

MOtorboat
10-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Lined up against Marques Colston all night.

A week after moving all over the field to counter what the Chargers were trying to do, mostly with Malcolm Floyd.

As OaklandRaider would say: ELITE.

Timmy!
10-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Best safety ever.

chazoe60
10-28-2012, 10:17 PM
I love John Elway and he is the greates Bronco ever, but I think I could make a more compelling argument that Champ is the greatest CB of all time than I could make an argument that John is the greatest QB of all time. I would love nothing more than seeing Champ put an Orange and Blue diamond encrusted ring on his finger before he retires.

Northman
10-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Two different positions but i think Darrell Green is the best CB ive ever seen. As to QB's, John is still tits.

MileHighCrew
10-28-2012, 10:36 PM
I love John Elway and he is the greates Bronco ever, but I think I could make a more compelling argument that Champ is the greatest CB of all time than I could make an argument that John is the greatest QB of all time. I would love nothing more than seeing Champ put an Orange and Blue diamond encrusted ring on his finger before he retires.

I'm going to play my bias card and be very thankful the 2 best of all time at their positions were Broncos.

ShaneFalco
10-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Champ is twice the corner Revis is, he doesnt shy away from contact.

NightTerror218
10-28-2012, 10:50 PM
champ is also amazing against the run......and makes RBs flip in air like tonight

Poet
10-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Champ Bailey has a claim to it.

MOtorboat
10-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Let's not stray away from the topic at hand.

Champ Bailey moved all over the field the last three games as Denver got wins.

Poet
10-28-2012, 10:53 PM
I can't wait for him to be a safety.

MOtorboat
10-28-2012, 10:54 PM
I can't wait for him to be a safety.

Who cares where he plays he's being AVOIDED!

bcbronc
10-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Let's not stray away from the topic at hand.

Champ Bailey moved all over the field the last three games as Denver got wins.

You're not really trying to claim that this is typical of the way Champ has been used over the years, are you? No, unfortunately you probably are.

When they actually move Champ around and don't let the QB/OC know exactly where Champ is going to be while they're still in the huddle calling their plays, it makes this team much tougher to play against. Big props to JDR for using Champ as a weapon, not just a LCB.

MOtorboat
10-28-2012, 11:02 PM
You're not really trying to claim that this is typical of the way Champ has been used over the years, are you? No, unfortunately you probably are.

When they actually move Champ around and don't let the QB/OC know exactly where Champ is going to be while they're still in the huddle calling their plays, it makes this team much tougher to play against. Big props to JDR for using Champ as a weapon, not just a LCB.

No.

I'm pointing out how wrong you are that he should be moved to safety.

You don't move elite cornerbacks to safety. It's stupid to even suggest it.

MOtorboat
10-28-2012, 11:04 PM
If he's moved to safety he doesn't make ANY of the plays he made tonight. And if he's moved to safety, he doesn't shut down Colston and Floyd.

He's shut down No. 1s for years, and it really is perplexing that people (bcbronc and zambini) continue to suggest that he is worthless at cornerback.

bcbronc
10-29-2012, 02:07 AM
No.

I'm pointing out how wrong you are that he should be moved to safety.

You don't move elite cornerbacks to safety. It's stupid to even suggest it.

Except 2 did get moved just this season. I guess there's just something in the water down at Green Bay and Tampa Bay.

If he's moved to safety he doesn't make ANY of the plays he made tonight. And if he's moved to safety, he doesn't shut down Colston and Floyd.

Yeah, Flloyd...oooohhhh. One of the plays today, he was practically playing safety due to the formation when he came down and made a nice tackle. Saying he wouldn't have made any of the plays he made today is what's stupid since most of his best plays today were in run support. And you don't know just what plays he would have made from safety...maybe if it's Champ instead of Adams on that TD pass to Graham, Champ makes a play Adams just can't.

But this in a nutshell is what your problem is, everything's so black and white. I mean to make a comment like "he wouldn't make ANY of the plays he made tonight" is just complete bullshit. What, Champ at Safety wouldn't be able to play the game anymore? Take him off his island he becomes a completely worthless player? Completely ridiculous assertion on your part. Prove to me Champ couldn't make even one play he made today if he lined up at S instead of CB...it's arguably the stupidest argument I've ever seen on a message board, and that's saying something.

He's shut down No. 1s for years, and it really is perplexing that people (bcbronc and zambini) continue to suggest that he is worthless at cornerback.

Where has anyone said he's worthless at CB? Never happened, that I've seen. I've sure never said anything close to that. Zam says leaving him at LCB no matter what can make him irrelevant when it comes to stopping the other teams best WR unless he lines up split to the left (which is true) and I say I'd like to see Champs instincts, range and intelligence playing in the middle of the field than on the perimeter because I feel that offers more versatility once Champ loses a step as a pure cover guy (which has happened, even if he's still one of the best pure cover guys in the league). For me, comes down to I'd rather have a great S than a great CB, but that doesn't equate to me saying it's worthless having a great CB. Another stupid argument, hope you're drunk from the game or sumthin.

However, you have--in this very post I'm replying to--said that Champ's skills are so limited that he wouldn't make ANY plays unless he's shadowing a #1 WR. I don't agree, and this is probably where we disagree most. I think a game like today's, where Champ was always having his name called, especially in run support, shows that the TEAM is better when Champ is in on more plays. Move Champ around, get him in different match-ups that WE dictate, and I don't give a shit if you call him safety, corner, rover, hot dog or tuna. What I don't want to see is Champ running down field with a player dictated by the offense, while they go and shred the other 10 guys to pieces.

Chef Zambini
10-29-2012, 02:34 AM

He's shut down No. 1s for years, and it really is perplexing that people (bcbronc and zambini) continue to suggest that he is worthless at cornerback.no one called him worthless at cornerback.
you and your false accusations are the only thing that is worthless.

Chef Zambini
10-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Except 2 did get moved just this season. I guess there's just something in the water down at Green Bay and Tampa Bay.

Yeah, Flloyd...oooohhhh. One of the plays today, he was practically playing safety due to the formation when he came down and made a nice tackle. Saying he wouldn't have made any of the plays he made today is what's stupid since most of his best plays today were in run support. And you don't know just what plays he would have made from safety...maybe if it's Champ instead of Adams on that TD pass to Graham, Champ makes a play Adams just can't.

But this in a nutshell is what your problem is, everything's so black and white. I mean to make a comment like "he wouldn't make ANY of the plays he made tonight" is just complete bullshit. What, Champ at Safety wouldn't be able to play the game anymore? Take him off his island he becomes a completely worthless player? Completely ridiculous assertion on your part. Prove to me Champ couldn't make even one play he made today if he lined up at S instead of CB...it's arguably the stupidest argument I've ever seen on a message board, and that's saying something.

Where has anyone said he's worthless at CB? Never happened, that I've seen. I've sure never said anything close to that. Zam says leaving him at LCB no matter what can make him irrelevant when it comes to stopping the other teams best WR unless he lines up split to the left (which is true) and I say I'd like to see Champs instincts, range and intelligence playing in the middle of the field than on the perimeter because I feel that offers more versatility once Champ loses a step as a pure cover guy (which has happened, even if he's still one of the best pure cover guys in the league). For me, comes down to I'd rather have a great S than a great CB, but that doesn't equate to me saying it's worthless having a great CB. Another stupid argument, hope you're drunk from the game or sumthin.

However, you have--in this very post I'm replying to--said that Champ's skills are so limited that he wouldn't make ANY plays unless he's shadowing a #1 WR. I don't agree, and this is probably where we disagree most. I think a game like today's, where Champ was always having his name called, especially in run support, shows that the TEAM is better when Champ is in on more plays. Move Champ around, get him in different match-ups that WE dictate, and I don't give a shit if you call him safety, corner, rover, hot dog or tuna. What I don't want to see is Champ running down field with a player dictated by the offense, while they go and shred the other 10 guys to pieces.bingo times a million and three !

SR
10-29-2012, 05:17 AM
Well there's one thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Dapper Dan
10-29-2012, 08:36 AM
I hope we don't change anything.

TXBRONC
10-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Lined up against Marques Colston all night.

A week after moving all over the field to counter what the Chargers were trying to do, mostly with Malcolm Floyd.

As OaklandRaider would say: ELITE.

Colston caught 5 passes for 63 yards obviously Champ needs to move to safety for the good of the team.

MOtorboat
10-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Colston caught 5 passes for 63 yards obviously Champ needs to move to safety for the good of the team.

0 Touchdowns. He also gave up a few catches to Malcolm Floyd, but no touchdowns, and they completely shut down Oakland, the whole defense.

He's an elite cornerback. Moving him to safety would be stoopid.

Charles Woodson has struggled in his move to safety, which is somewhat unfair to say now, because he's hurt. But he did not make the impact moving to safety that Zam, and now bcbronc, are claiming elite cornerbacks make when they move to safety.

In terms of the one tackle on the edge (referring to bcbronc's comment)...there's a difference between four quarters coverage and playing safety. It appeared Champ was in four quarters. So, you got me, he made one play that he might have made if he lined up at safety.

TXBRONC
10-29-2012, 09:41 AM
0 Touchdowns. He also gave up a few catches to Malcolm Floyd, but no touchdowns, and they completely shut down Oakland, the whole defense.

He's an elite cornerback. Moving him to safety would be stoopid.

Charles Woodson has struggled in his move to safety, which is somewhat unfair to say now, because he's hurt. But he did not make the impact moving to safety that Zam, and now bcbronc, are claiming elite cornerbacks make when they move to safety.

In terms of the one tackle on the edge (referring to bcbronc's comment)...there's a difference between four quarters coverage and playing safety. It appeared Champ was in four quarters. So, you got me, he made one play that he might have made if he lined up at safety.

I was being sarcastic.

CoachChaz
10-29-2012, 10:12 AM
IF we were able to develop Harris and Carter into top notch CB's, I would be okay with moving Bailey to safety. He would certainly have a value there. But not until I am confident that his CB spot is adequately replaced

Dapper Dan
10-29-2012, 10:56 AM
"It just has to make sense to me. I'm not looking to play safety," Bailey said. "So it would have to make sense, if it doesn't make sense I'm not doing it..."
"I'm a realist, though, if I see myself on tape and I think it's time to make a move, I'll know it's time to make a move, I'll be the first to see it, I'll be the first to know it," Bailey said.

Take from an article earlier this year http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20681974/broncos-champ-bailey-still-cornerback-through-and-through

Today's question about the Broncos comes from Paul Robertson in Canada.
Q: What are the chances of moving Omar Bolden into a corner spot and Champ (Bailey) to a free safety spot? Do you think that would slow down the air attack from the pass-happy teams?
A: Paul, logically there is some attraction to moving Bailey into a position where he would have the opportunity to create more turnovers. And he would have far more opportunity to create turnovers at free safety, especially in zone coverages when he would be facing the ball, in the middle of the field.
However...

This one, also from the Denver Post (same writer, Jeff Legwold) is from a couple weeks ago http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21785666/broncos-champ-bailey-safety-better-takeaways-not-coverage

I didn't know Zam was Canadian.

Oh, and I apologize if someone already posted these. Probably Carol.

Chef Zambini
10-29-2012, 11:38 AM
we all know champ does NOT want to be a safgety.
no revelation there.
we all know he is doing a fine job as a corner. but only thoise with VISION,understand that he can be more effective as a safety.
mo lacks that vision and his hostility torwards certain posters just galvinizes his thinking.

Poet
10-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Mo is helping Champ Bailey be an ass.

That may be the best thing I have ever read in my entire life.

Krugan
10-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Are people really talking about making this move now?

Entirely wrong choice. He is playing at a high level and removing a threat 99% of the game, Why move him into a spot he hasnt played before, cause confusion on this defense when its just starting to work.

Nonsense at this point.

DenBronx
10-29-2012, 03:34 PM
champ is also amazing against the run......and makes RBs flip in air like tonight

does anyone have a gif of this play? it was awesome....and I think it was pierre thomas too.

NightTerror218
10-29-2012, 04:05 PM
does anyone have a gif of this play? it was awesome....and I think it was pierre thomas too.

it was Pierre.

NightTerror218
10-29-2012, 04:06 PM
no revelation there.
we all know he is doing a fine job as a corner. but only thoise with VISION,understand that he can be more effective as a safety.
mo lacks that vision and his hostility torwards certain posters just galvinizes his thinking.

putting him at safety does not mean he will be amazing at safety. Woodson has been amazing since moving over from CB and Champ may not either. He is amazing at CB, no point in changing his position if you are not sure how well he will do at it.

gregbroncs
10-29-2012, 04:30 PM
no revelation there.
mo lacks that vision and his hostility torwards certain posters just galvinizes his thinking.So we are supposed to have the VISION of a few armchair QB's over the Vision of the player and every coach he has had? Frankly I'm with Mo. Moving Champ to S when he is killing it as a CB and is still one of if not the best CB in the league is stupid.

NightTerror218
10-29-2012, 04:35 PM
champ shuts down a WR or a side of the field which allows safeties to cheat on other players such as the other WR, TE or RB. Moving champ does not mean it will help the team.

Ravage!!!
10-29-2012, 06:02 PM
champ shuts down a WR or a side of the field which allows safeties to cheat on other players such as the other WR, TE or RB. Moving champ does not mean it will help the team.

This is exactly right. Hell, a top corner may not line up against the #1 WR. He may be assigned to take out the #2 by himself, and that way you can put 2 on the top guy (like they do against Megatron). Moving Champ to safety, while he is playing at such a good level at CB, doens't make sense. WHICH IS WHY...despite how many DC's denver has had... NONE have tried to move him to safety.

O-ManePunisher
10-30-2012, 12:31 AM
Hof

Chef Zambini
10-30-2012, 02:06 AM
mike nolan, call him and ask him.

bcbronc
10-30-2012, 03:53 AM
Are people really talking about making this move now?

Entirely wrong choice. He is playing at a high level and removing a threat 99% of the game, Why move him into a spot he hasnt played before, cause confusion on this defense when its just starting to work.

Nonsense at this point.

I don't think anyone is talking about moving him *right* now, at least I'm not. You'd have to give him an offseason and TC/preseason to get his feet wet, and barring injury it makes zero sense to make a major shake up just when the defense is beginning to click. My big thing is I'd rather be ahead of the curve than behind it (ie move him to S when he still had another year of top corner play, rather than after it becomes obvious the time is here), but the decision should be made during the offseason.

Ravage!!!
10-30-2012, 12:47 PM
mike nolan, call him and ask him.

YOU keep making the statement. Yet, can't provide a single ounce of evidence on this. Not one single line from him.

NightTerror218
10-30-2012, 12:49 PM
This is exactly right. Hell, a top corner may not line up against the #1 WR. He may be assigned to take out the #2 by himself, and that way you can put 2 on the top guy (like they do against Megatron). Moving Champ to safety, while he is playing at such a good level at CB, doens't make sense. WHICH IS WHY...despite how many DC's denver has had... NONE have tried to move him to safety.

glad to see we finally agree on something :salute:

LTC Pain
10-30-2012, 02:40 PM
YOU keep making the statement. Yet, can't provide a single ounce of evidence on this. Not one single line from him.

A 100 times this!!!. Now he comes out with this crap "but only thoise with VISION,understand that he can be more effective as a safety.". Conclusion is Zam believes this with zero evidence or justification. This defines a baseless opinion.