PDA

View Full Version : DJ Williams gets house arrest

blamkin86
10-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Mods feel free to move or delete - but I didn't see this anywhere.

DENVER -- Denver Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams will serve 30 days under home arrest for driving under the influence but not until after the season.

Williams was sentenced Wednesday in Denver but a judge said he didn't have to start serving it until Feb. 17, 2013.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8546300/dj-williams-denver-broncos-lb-gets-30-days-home-arrest

I'll spare everyone my rant on drunk driving and rich people who have the means to avoid it.. and multiple offenders. Or will I?

BroncoWave
10-24-2012, 12:35 PM
I hope he's been staying in shape. If not, it won't really matter that his house arrest got pushed back, because he won't be that effective anyway.

Chef Zambini
10-24-2012, 12:46 PM
love our legal syatem, money talks, bullshit walks. that should be engraved on the walls of our courts. instead of the bitch with the blindfold and the scales, it should be a hooker with a cash register.

blamkin86
10-24-2012, 12:51 PM
I did a little quick research - the union took over the "Safe Rides" program, and then killed it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/19303326/nfl-to-remind-all-employees-this-is-dangerous-time-for-dui-offenses

If you're not familiar with it, the NFL required all teams to offer free taxi rides for any player thinking they were too drunk to get home. It was in effect ALL the times DJ (and Matt Prater) got caught for DUI.

The NFLPA took over the program, because they feared teams would punish players who used the service... then the NFLPA disbanded the service altogether- they say because it wasn't being used.

Yeah, it wasn't being used before, obviously, but the program may have saved the life of an innocent person out on the road with these drunk idiots. "Oh we're not hurting anyone."

Ravage!!!
10-24-2012, 01:13 PM
There are other programs available to call a free taxi if you need it. Or, they could pay for a taxi if they wanted one. having the NFLPA pay for a taxi is NOT going to be the difference between a player using/calling a taxi or not.

broncohead
10-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Its not a money issue why they won't call a taxi. Its just plain stupidity

iLands
10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
I'll spare everyone my rant on drunk driving and rich people who have the means to avoid it

What's the point of money if it doesn't provide benefits?

Who wants to live in a country where success isn't rewarded?

FanInAZ
10-24-2012, 03:41 PM
I did a little quick research - the union took over the "Safe Rides" program, and then killed it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/19303326/nfl-to-remind-all-employees-this-is-dangerous-time-for-dui-offenses

If you're not familiar with it, the NFL required all teams to offer free taxi rides for any player thinking they were too drunk to get home. It was in effect ALL the times DJ (and Matt Prater) got caught for DUI.

The NFLPA took over the program, because they feared teams would punish players who used the service... then the NFLPA disbanded the service altogether- they say because it wasn't being used.

Yeah, it wasn't being used before, obviously, but the program may have saved the life of an innocent person out on the road with these drunk idiots. "Oh we're not hurting anyone."

The NFL doesn't need to pay for it; the players make enough stinking money that they can pay for their own ride. By the way, pretty much all of the legal cab companies here in Phoenix offer "Safe Ride" programs as well. I'm sure we're not the only major city that does.

LawDog
10-24-2012, 03:47 PM
love our legal syatem, money talks, bullshit walks. that should be engraved on the walls of our courts. instead of the bitch with the blindfold and the scales, it should be a hooker with a cash register.

You're off the mark here a bit Chef. 30 days is a significant sentence for misdemeanor DUI. Here in California, misdemeanor offenders get 4-10 days for first offenses and not much more for subsequent offenses - unless there is a crash involving other persons, or once you get multiple convictions and the offense becomes a felony. In any event, 30 days (even on delayed home detention) can't be considered to be "buying off" the justice system. The real punishment is the fines and fees that have to be paid, plus the added cost of buying car insurance.

Dzone
10-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Theres a bazillion limousine services in which the driver will wait outside the bar and take your drunk ass home. Carmelo Anthony is another idiot who got a dui in Denver and should have been in a limo

Pudge
10-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Am I the only one that noticed the judge has Super Bowl hopes for Denver?

Chef Zambini
10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
There are other programs available to call a free taxi if you need it. Or, they could pay for a taxi if they wanted one. having the NFLPA pay for a taxi is NOT going to be the difference between a player using/calling a taxi or not.
intelligence is the difference! they could hire the LIMO before they go out drinking, but then they wouldnt be able to rollup on the strip club in their overpriced foriegn vehicle sittin on its 20s with their peerl handled 9mm in the console.

the service was FREE and discrete, yet the players were too immature and or stoopid to use it!
the NFLPA does a great job in their role of VILLAN and inabler !

Ravage!!!
10-25-2012, 12:07 PM
the service was FREE and discrete, yet the players were too immature and or stoopid to use it!
the NFLPA does a great job in their role of VILLAN and inabler !

I can see what they canceled the program, no one was using it. No sense paying a limo service a contract when its not used. Players can pay for their own taxi's. Hell...99% of ll drunk drivers in the United States can afford taxi's, but don't use them when driving. Its not just football players. Its not just athletes, and it certainly is not limited to "millionaires." There are free taxi services everywhere with the "one for the road" program. People don't use them because they don't think they are drunk, they think they are fine, they don't have far to drive, and/or don't want to leave their car behind....or whatever the reason they use to justify getting behind the wheel.

But BRILLIANT people get caught driving while intoxicated. It's not an indication of intelligence, per se.

Chef Zambini
10-25-2012, 12:28 PM
RAV, wouldnt it be better for the NFLPA to incourage more use promote the program, instead of finding it easier to first remove it from the leaguye and then dump the program?
But I guess thet will wait untoil a player kills himself or someone else before they re-visit the merits of the system.

Chef Zambini
10-25-2012, 12:32 PM
cop: Mr barkley, we pulled you over because yopu were driving irraticly and 15 miles UNDER the speed limit.
charles barkley; officer, i am not drunk, i was getting a blow-job.

NightTerror218
10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
well good thing it is during the off season....for him

Ravage!!!
10-25-2012, 12:51 PM
RAV, wouldnt it be better for the NFLPA to incourage more use promote the program, instead of finding it easier to first remove it from the leaguye and then dump the program?
But I guess thet will wait untoil a player kills himself or someone else before they re-visit the merits of the system.

No. Its not the money that is keeping the players from using the program, thats the point. The owners of this Multi-billion dollar corporation aren't billionairs because they are stupid. Throwing away money on a program that is losing money, doens't make sense to spend money on promotion when the reason it isn't being used has NOTHING to do with money. So "free" ride is NOT an incentive for them to use it. There are PLENTY of ways for these guys, or ANYONE, to get a ride home if they chose to use it. They, like every other drunk driver on the road, doesn't use it because they think they are "fine." Has nothing to do with having a "free ride" available. Which is why the program is just a dumb one to begin with.

Chef Zambini
10-25-2012, 04:04 PM
part of the "promotion" is to explain to players why they 'are not fine" and how they cant make that determination because of their lack of fineness. it is NOT a money issue its a macho-ego issue.
the players are used to acting like foo;s on their own in public and then hiding behind the herd that is the NFLPA. the NFLPA are enabelers in this situation. they dont want to curb the poor behavior, they just want to protect them from the consequences.
unlike the rest of the world, when an NFL player does something wrong, he has his union and his team looking to bail his worthless ass out !
this jetison of a worthwhile program is just another example !
again, not a money issue, just an arrogant, ego, sense of entitlement, I got me a get outa jail free job mentality !
its the O.J. complex !

Dzone
10-25-2012, 04:07 PM
He can stock up with a month worth of booze and pot and be gtg

Ravage!!!
10-25-2012, 04:13 PM
part of the "promotion" is to explain to players why they 'are not fine" and how they cant make that determination because of their lack of fineness. it is NOT a money issue its a macho-ego issue.
the players are used to acting like foo;s on their own in public and then hiding behind the herd that is the NFLPA. the NFLPA are enabelers in this situation. they dont want to curb the poor behavior, they just want to protect them from the consequences.
unlike the rest of the world, when an NFL player does something wrong, he has his union and his team looking to bail his worthless ass out !
this jetison of a worthwhile program is just another example !
again, not a money issue, just an arrogant, ego, sense of entitlement, I got me a get outa jail free job mentality !
its the O.J. complex !

Ridiculous. The NFL players are no different from the rest of the US as far as them taking responsibility and choosing to drive drunk or not. The difference is, you don't hear about the ones that do take cabs, hire drivers, or take limos. Just like the rest of the world, those don't make the headlines.

As Lawdog JUST pointed out to you, in a previous post in this very thread, DJ is NOT getting off the hook... and is in fact getting a harsher penalty than what is of the norm considering the charge.

The release of this "program" is nothing more than a choice of not wasting money. Something, again, that most people can appreciate. What you want is the NFL to spend MORE money by taking adult men and sending them to seminars in the value of not driving drunk. Thats ridiculous.

You're off the mark here a bit Chef. 30 days is a significant sentence for misdemeanor DUI. Here in California, misdemeanor offenders get 4-10 days for first offenses and not much more for subsequent offenses - unless there is a crash involving other persons, or once you get multiple convictions and the offense becomes a felony. In any event, 30 days (even on delayed home detention) can't be considered to be "buying off" the justice system. The real punishment is the fines and fees that have to be paid, plus the added cost of buying car insurance.