PDA

View Full Version : Malik Jackson

Dapper Dan
10-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Has anyone kept an eye on him? I haven't really noticed him at all. Where is he playing exactly? RE, LE, or DT? I'm hoping he develops into a decent player. So far he seems pretty quiet. I'm not expecting a fifth rounder to make an immediate impact right away anyway.

shank
10-22-2012, 08:42 PM
i honestly forgot that he exists. he looked good in preseason against 2-3 stringers, but haven't even heard his name so far this season.

MOtorboat
10-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Jackson is a late-round draft pick that will likely take a couple of years to get into the defensive line rotation. Obviously, he's got the size that Del Rio likes, and that's why he was drafted. And from what I saw of him in college and preseason, he's got a good motor, I'm just not sure he's good enough to really make much more than a rotational impact at the NFL level.

Dapper Dan
10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Jackson is a late-round draft pick that will likely take a couple of years to get into the defensive line rotation. Obviously, he's got the size that Del Rio likes, and that's why he was drafted. And from what I saw of him in college and preseason, he's got a good motor, I'm just not sure he's good enough to really make much more than a rotational impact at the NFL level.

I just hope he doesn't fail to produce and gets cut. I'd be thrilled for him to develop into a decent rotation player. You hit on one of the pluses I was thinking about. His size. He's a big player and has experience on different DL positions.

I was mostly just looking for anything as far as practice and the short time he's seen on the field.

I agree with you that it will take a while.

MOtorboat
10-22-2012, 08:58 PM
I just hope he doesn't fail to produce and gets cut. I'd be thrilled for him to develop into a decent rotation player. You hit on one of the pluses I was thinking about. His size. He's a big player and has experience on different DL positions.

I was mostly just looking for anything as far as practice and the short time he's seen on the field.

Practices, except for just a few minutes, are closed to the media and public during the season, so that's likely why you haven't heard anything.

Dapper Dan
10-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Practices, except for just a few minutes, are closed to the media and public during the season, so that's likely why you haven't heard anything.

Aren't there a couple Pats fans on here? Where's the tape?

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2012, 08:46 AM

I like Jackson, but more as a long term project. The ubnfortunate thing, is with the recent Denver trend of defensive coordinators, Del Rio is likely only going to be around for a couple years anyways and it's more up to the next DC on what wioll happen with Jackson. I hope it doesn't work out like that but I'm not holding my breath on it. Seems to be a revolving door in Denver for quite some time.

BroncoWave
10-23-2012, 11:14 AM
I like Jackson, but more as a long term project. The ubnfortunate thing, is with the recent Denver trend of defensive coordinators, Del Rio is likely only going to be around for a couple years anyways and it's more up to the next DC on what wioll happen with Jackson. I hope it doesn't work out like that but I'm not holding my breath on it. Seems to be a revolving door in Denver for quite some time.

If Del Rio is here a couple of years it would buck that trend. We haven't had one here for multiple years since Coyer.

G_Money
10-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Malik's tall, but he's not that big. 6'5, 280ish. That makes him a lil bigger than Ayers but smaller (weight-wise) than what Del Rio wants in the middle (see: Vickerson eating the population of a small indonesian country to make his current weight of 320+, or Bannan's domination of the Waffle House at 310). Even Wolfe has 15-20 pounds on Malik.

Still, Ayers is a FA after next season, and Malik could push him for DE/DT time with some muscle added. I don't expect him to get to Vickerson size, but he can do Wolfe-size, and I liked what I saw of him in pre-season. He could be a rotational part of our D. He's just gonna have to get stronger.

~G

Dapper Dan
10-23-2012, 04:58 PM
While we're on the DLine, what happen to Wolfe being a DT. Will he eventually move inside for good or will he stay at the LE position and move inside in certain situations? I really thought Ayers would start as LE and Wolfe was going to be DT.

NightTerror218
10-23-2012, 05:29 PM
While we're on the DLine, what happen to Wolfe being a DT. Will he eventually move inside for good or will he stay at the LE position and move inside in certain situations? I really thought Ayers would start as LE and Wolfe was going to be DT.

He seems to shift a lot depending on how many lineman there are. He beat out Ayers to start at LDE

G_Money
10-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Del Rio might have let a ham sandwich start over Ayers at LDE - he was REALLY pissed off at his effort level in camp. When Hunter went down and Wolfe looked able, then Wolfe it was. He has a motor. Robert's is flooded.

It doesn't hurt that Wolfe can play either DE or DT, a la Pryce (though not at that level yet sadly), and he holds the point well. Doom is still a liability against the run, and our D works better if the LB can crash Doom's side in the run game knowing that Wolfe isn't gonna fold like a lawn chair on the opposite side when the tackles gets his hands on 'im.

~G

Dzone
10-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Im wondering if anyone will start a thread about Tracy Porter . They talked about him at length today on the radio. Very interesting

Dzone
10-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Del Rio might have let a ham sandwich start over Ayers at LDE - he was REALLY pissed off at his effort level in camp. When Hunter went down and Wolfe looked able, then Wolfe it was. He has a motor. Robert's is flooded.

It doesn't hurt that Wolfe can play either DE or DT, a la Pryce (though not at that level yet sadly), and he holds the point well. Doom is still a liability against the run, and our D works better if the LB can crash Doom's side in the run game knowing that Wolfe isn't gonna fold like a lawn chair on the opposite side when the tackles gets his hands on 'im.

~G
Ayers seems to have totally disappeared. I wonder how much he is even playing. Wolfe continues to improve.

MOtorboat
10-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Im wondering if anyone will start a thread about Tracy Porter . They talked about him at length today on the radio. Very interesting

In what context?

Maybe you could link those of us who missed it to a podcast and a specific station where you heard what you heard?

Dzone
10-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Just about why he has not had a good year. It was on koa with legwold and kreiger I believe

Dzone
10-23-2012, 10:51 PM
They were also talking about denver being the worst team in december and how the new training is designed to change that this year

MOtorboat
10-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Just about why he has not had a good year. It was on koa with legwold and kreiger I believe

In what context?

How did they say he was having a bad year?

shank
10-23-2012, 11:09 PM
In what context?

How did they say he was having a bad year?

having no safety help and the flu don't make a bad year. looks like the beginnings of another #2 corner being run out of denver purely because he plays opposite champ bailey.