PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk linebackers...

Buff
10-16-2012, 02:11 PM
A few random thoughts:

-It appears the coaching staff has lost all faith in Joe Mays at MLB as he didn't seem to play at all on defense - only registering a tackle assist on special teams - whereas Brooking, Irving, Woodyard and Trevathan all saw time on defense. I think it's pretty clear that Mays' 3rd down meltdowns against New England, where he was fresh coming off a game suspension, represented the final straw.

-Nate Irving came in to spell Von Miller and made a nice tackle. Maybe there is hope for him yet.

-Keith Brooking may be a step slower than Mays and not hit quite as hard, but he more than compensates by being in the right spot at the right time. Gruden praised him for shutting down a TE crossing route that Mays no doubt would have missed.

-Woodyard is one trash-talking MF'er - I've always liked his nastiness.

-Sounds like Von Miller's calf/hip aren't too serious, but he is probably the defender we can least afford to lose.

-I think we all have a new found appreciation for DJ Williams, regardless of how brain dead he is.

Northman
10-16-2012, 02:18 PM
While Woodyard isnt a world beater im probably one of the few that actually like him. He's a great support player and has a lot of great intensity.

jhns
10-16-2012, 02:19 PM
The middle of the defense still needs a lot of work. This would be a scary defense if we had a good MLB and a slightly better DT rotation. The safeties are playing pretty good as long as they aren't required to cover a TE.

MLB should be the top priority going into the offseason.

BroncoNut
10-16-2012, 02:30 PM
whose the veteran that was playing mlb? forget his name

BroncoNut
10-16-2012, 02:31 PM
whose the veteran that was playing mlb? forget his name

nevermind, brooking, you mentioned it Buff. good call and good synapse

NightTerror218
10-16-2012, 02:39 PM
can we trade mays now?

Buff
10-16-2012, 02:40 PM
can we trade mays now?

Not a ton of demand for special teams players making $4 mil/year.

NightTerror218
10-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Not a ton of demand for special teams players making $4 mil/year.

chit

tubby
10-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Irving was a nice surprise last night. That play were he ran down Mathews from the edge was impressive.

As far as a new found appreciation for DJ.....maybe, but only ever so slightly. And mainly because Joe Mays has no business being a starter in the NFL.

CoachChaz
10-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Let's not get too happy about the random unspectacular play of a 20 year vet and an undersized shit talker. We have ONE linebacker we can rely on to do his job. DJ is an idiot, Mays is useless, Woodyard should be on ST, Irving is blocked by Miller and Brooking, while an upgrade over Mays, is too close to the end.

That's our LB corps in a nutshell

BigDaddyBronco
10-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Maybe when DJ gets back they will kepp Woodyard in and put DJ at MLB. He wasn't awful when he played there a few years ago (even though he is a better WLB), and Woodyard seems better than Brooking. After all his eff ups off the field, DJ should be happy wherever he plays this year.

CoachChaz
10-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Release the douche bag.

Buff
10-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Irving was a nice surprise last night. That play were he ran down Mathews from the edge was impressive.

As far as a new found appreciation for DJ.....maybe, but only ever so slightly. And mainly because Joe Mays has no business being a starter in the NFL.

Maybe when DJ gets back they will kepp Woodyard in and put DJ at MLB. He wasn't awful when he played there a few years ago (even though he is a better WLB), and Woodyard seems better than Brooking. After all his eff ups off the field, DJ should be happy wherever he plays this year.

At the beginning of the year I assumed we'd cut Brooking as soon as DJ came back... But now I'm wondering what we'll do with that roster spot.

Let's not get too happy about the random unspectacular play of a 20 year vet and an undersized shit talker. We have ONE linebacker we can rely on to do his job. DJ is an idiot, Mays is useless, Woodyard should be on ST, Irving is blocked by Miller and Brooking, while an upgrade over Mays, is too close to the end.

That's our LB corps in a nutshell

It's an area of concern for sure, but I was mildly encouraged that Irving did anything in an actual game... And I've been pleasantly surprised by Brooking all year, even if he's 100 years old.

Woodyard is pretty much at his ceiling - not overly enthralled by his play, but I like that he's an antagonist out there getting in offensive players' heads.

DenBronx
10-16-2012, 03:12 PM
What game does DJ return? I know he had a 6 week suspension but didnt the NFL add two more games to it?

Also, does the bye week count towards the suspension? If not then that would be a week 9 return. Not sure here....

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
10-16-2012, 03:48 PM
What game does DJ return? I know he had a 6 week suspension but didnt the NFL add two more games to it?

Also, does the bye week count towards the suspension? If not then that would be a week 9 return. Not sure here....

I believe he returns week 10. If I read 9 game suspension to mean 9 games and not 9 weeks, then week 10. I didn't look it up though, so you may be right.

Buff
10-16-2012, 03:54 PM
DJ is back for Week 11 against San Diego. http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21732520/denver-judge-delays-sentencing-drunken-driving-case-broncos

Dapper Dan
10-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I thought DJ returns week 11 because it was games and not weeks.

Dapper Dan
10-16-2012, 03:56 PM
DJ is back for Week 11 against Carolina. http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21732520/denver-judge-delays-sentencing-drunken-driving-case-broncos

Beat me to it.

10-16-2012, 03:58 PM
DJ is back for Week 11 against Carolina. http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21732520/denver-judge-delays-sentencing-drunken-driving-case-broncos

That's week 10.

Buff
10-16-2012, 03:59 PM
That's week 10.

My bad - I meant week 11 against the Chargers.

10-16-2012, 04:02 PM
I kind of wonder if the article actually means Nov. 11.

CoachChaz
10-16-2012, 04:04 PM
I think it's week 11 v. SD. Bye weeks dont count...it's actual games on the suspension, not weeks

silkamilkamonico
10-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Will be nice when DJ comes back, because then Woodyard can go back to the bench where he belongs. We'll still have a huge issue in the middle. May be possible we see more of Mays when DJ comes back, DJ is great in coverage, Mays/Brookings can trade off at MLB depending on circumstance, and DJ will stay out on 3rd downs in coverage.

Dj will likely be gone after this year, so staff is going to have to make it a priortiy to draft both MLB and OLB to replace them.

10-16-2012, 04:06 PM
I think it's week 11 v. SD. Bye weeks dont count...it's actual games on the suspension, not weeks

Yeah, my mistake. It is week 11 v. SD.

Buff
10-16-2012, 04:07 PM
I kind of wonder if the article actually means Nov. 11.

I don't think so - that date has been reported by other outlets... And it makes sense that he'd be reinstated for the week of practice leading up to a game, not on gameday itself.

Superchop 7
10-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Irving plays a lot better in space....not good at Mike.

On the bright side there is some talent coming in the draft....Notre Dame kid looks good.....as do a couple of others.

Superchop 7
10-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Irving plays a lot better in space....not good at Mike.

On the bright side there is some talent coming in the draft....Notre Dame kid looks good.....as do a couple of others.

BroncoJoe
10-16-2012, 04:22 PM
LOL. Whoda thunk we'd be pining for DJ.

MOtorboat
10-16-2012, 04:23 PM
LOL. Whoda thunk we'd be pining for DJ.

:wave:

Davii
10-16-2012, 04:41 PM
:wave:

That little waving dude knows his shit.

BroncoJoe
10-16-2012, 04:42 PM
That little waving dude knows his shit.

A little big for his britches, if you ask me.

slim
10-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know when DJ will be back?

NightTerror218
10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know when DJ will be back?

back at headquarters today and can interact with team. Says Nov 12th he can play again, against Carolina.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/10/16/dj-williams/16279/

Buff
10-16-2012, 05:22 PM
back at headquarters today and can interact with team. Says Nov 12th he can play again, against Carolina.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/10/16/dj-williams/16279/

Yeah, but do you know when DJ Williams will be back?

BroncoJoe
10-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Buff, I think I'll be nice to you for the rest of the week.

Slick
10-17-2012, 07:53 AM
DJ is still a dumbass.

Joel
10-17-2012, 04:22 PM
A few random thoughts:

-It appears the coaching staff has lost all faith in Joe Mays at MLB as he didn't seem to play at all on defense - only registering a tackle assist on special teams - whereas Brooking, Irving, Woodyard and Trevathan all saw time on defense. I think it's pretty clear that Mays' 3rd down meltdowns against New England, where he was fresh coming off a game suspension, represented the final straw.

-Nate Irving came in to spell Von Miller and made a nice tackle. Maybe there is hope for him yet.
When I saw that I figured Mays was done. He plays Mike like a Sam, but when our Sam got hurt we sent in our third string Mike instead.

-Keith Brooking may be a step slower than Mays and not hit quite as hard, but he more than compensates by being in the right spot at the right time. Gruden praised him for shutting down a TE crossing route that Mays no doubt would have missed.
No question about it. Mays was never a blazer, but won praise (including, I concede, from me) for closing and making tackles quickly AFTER catches last year; Brookings experience, recognition and anticipation is far better at preventing those catches despite his reduced speed, and he's out of position far less on both runs and passes. That kind of savvy is rare in young Mikes, which probably has as much as anything to do with why Irving isn't starting; hopefully he learns fast, because Brooking is ancient.

-Woodyard is one trash-talking MF'er - I've always liked his nastiness.
Assuming Gruden was right (always a big assumption ;)) it was interesting to hear him say Woodyard, not Brooking, had the helmet communications for calling our audibles. He'll never play Mike at 229, but that makes me wonder if the coaches are considering the slightly heavier DJ Williams for that role when he returns; hopefully he's a lot better at it than he was in '07.

-Sounds like Von Miller's calf/hip aren't too serious, but he is probably the defender we can least afford to lose.

-I think we all have a new found appreciation for DJ Williams, regardless of how brain dead he is.
It's not new found for me; he's been our best LB for a while, probably since Wilson retired. It will be good to have him back; hopefully he's finally learned to stop doing irresponsible things.

G_Money
10-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Agreed with most everything in the OP.

Woodyard was making the defensive calls the last two weeks. He's the one that rallies the troops, gets in the faces of the offense, cheers on his guys after good plays, etc. He doesn't wear that "C" on his jersey just because of his special teams play. He's a leader, and especially the emotional leader of this defense. Is Woodyard an all-world player? No. Is he vital to this team, especially with their coverage woes with other LBs? Yes.

Mays is on the outs. That's FAST, considering we're just a handful of games into his shiny new contract with us, but the only money we guaranteed him was all of this year, and $500k next year. That's it. If we cut him in the offseason it's a $500,000 hit to us, no more. His contract gets him no leverage, and his play has lost him whatever he would have had. He can't play MLB the way we need it played, and we are almost assured to be hunting a MLB in the offseason. Again.

Brooking's brain is still in good working order. When I say instinct makes up for speed to a certain extent, this is what I'm talking about. Diagnosing a play earlier means you can be in the right place to make a play, whereas speed just takes you to the wrong place faster. If we're gonna do anything significant this year, we need Brooking to stay healthy and in the lineup on the first 2 downs.

Von is growing as a LB. He's getting better in coverage, which was a must, even though he's a born blitzer. I do love that he simply doesn't miss tackles when he gets his hands on someone. It's a beautiful thing to see him get to a ball-carrier and watch them go down every time. He's definitely a keeper, even though he's gonna take Doom's bajillion dollar contract over in a couple years. The nice thing about Doom's contract (expires after 2015, while Von is a FA after the 2014 season) is that it was front-loaded and front-guaranteed, so he's either semi-affordable that last year or we can trade him without much penalty.

To anyone saying DJ will save us: I guess I remember the DJ/Nate Webster/Jamie Winborn defense too well to believe that. DJ is a better LB than Mays, but he'll be coming in out of (football) shape and rusty. He might help in the playoffs - assuming we don't just cut him when he gets back. If we don't, then next year is his last; we REALLY need to do something about the LB corps. Which is why I wanted Lofton or some other non-Mays help in the offseason. Grr...

In the meantime, though, more Brooking, Irving and Trevathan can't hurt any more than Mays was.

~G

NightTerror218
10-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Agreed with most everything in the OP.

Woodyard was making the defensive calls the last two weeks. He's the one that rallies the troops, gets in the faces of the offense, cheers on his guys after good plays, etc. He doesn't wear that "C" on his jersey just because of his special teams play. He's a leader, and especially the emotional leader of this defense. Is Woodyard an all-world player? No. Is he vital to this team, especially with their coverage woes with other LBs? Yes.

Mays is on the outs. That's FAST, considering we're just a handful of games into his shiny new contract with us, but the only money we guaranteed him was all of this year, and $500k next year. That's it. If we cut him in the offseason it's a $500,000 hit to us, no more. His contract gets him no leverage, and his play has lost him whatever he would have had. He can't play MLB the way we need it played, and we are almost assured to be hunting a MLB in the offseason. Again.

Brooking's brain is still in good working order. When I say instinct makes up for speed to a certain extent, this is what I'm talking about. Diagnosing a play earlier means you can be in the right place to make a play, whereas speed just takes you to the wrong place faster. If we're gonna do anything significant this year, we need Brooking to stay healthy and in the lineup on the first 2 downs.

Von is growing as a LB. He's getting better in coverage, which was a must, even though he's a born blitzer. I do love that he simply doesn't miss tackles when he gets his hands on someone. It's a beautiful thing to see him get to a ball-carrier and watch them go down every time. He's definitely a keeper, even though he's gonna take Doom's bajillion dollar contract over in a couple years. The nice thing about Doom's contract (expires after 2015, while Von is a FA after the 2014 season) is that it was front-loaded and front-guaranteed, so he's either semi-affordable that last year or we can trade him without much penalty.

To anyone saying DJ will save us: I guess I remember the DJ/Nate Webster/Jamie Winborn defense too well to believe that. DJ is a better LB than Mays, but he'll be coming in out of (football) shape and rusty. He might help in the playoffs - assuming we don't just cut him when he gets back. If we don't, then next year is his last; we REALLY need to do something about the LB corps. Which is why I wanted Lofton or some other non-Mays help in the offseason. Grr...

In the meantime, though, more Brooking, Irving and Trevathan can't hurt any more than Mays was.

~G

DJ could come back in great shape. Maybe a little rusty but he will be back working with the coaches this week.

dogfish
10-17-2012, 11:40 PM
let's talk linebackers. . .absolutely-- got both coach and G in the thread, this is a good time. . .

so. . . is teo as good as advertised? and if so, how far up might we have to move? inside 'backers typically don't come at a premium. . . who else you guys like? it looks to me like we'll almost have to fix it in the draft (barring irving stepping up and taking it)-- the odds of getting a quality fix in FA aren't good. . .

we still need help on both the OL and the DL as well-- and fooking safety, STILL-- but IMO, linebacker and running back are going to be the spots in most immediate, desperate need of attention in the off-season. . .

as for the rest of this year, it's probably just gonna be bandage it with whatever we got. . . we'll see--- but it's probably not enough no matter how you line it up. . . and it's going to be tough, but they probably need to limit brooking's snaps if we want to play effective D in the post-season. . .

cmc0605
10-18-2012, 11:47 AM
I've actually been very happy with the play of Woodyard...he's been playing his butt off, and IMO has earned defensive playing time, even if it's in a rotation. Mays is OK but I think we can all agree that Denver can do better. Hopefully this is the focus of free agency or early rounds of the draft. I actually don't think our safeties are that bad. I've been happy with Mike Adams. We could do better than Moore, but he's been better, and I wouldn't place this as a must-need priority. The fact is that when you play against a HOF tight end you're going to give up passes, especially in single coverage. Other players get paid too.

I'd actually put more emphasis on the defensive line. I'm not very satisfied with anyone up front except for Dumervil, and of course we're all going to be anxiously waiting on the development of Wolfe, who looks good so far. Other than that though, I'm not sure anyone really knows who the other guys are lining up on a given play. Just bodies. We still aren't getting the pass rush from anyone else except VonDoom, especially early in the game when we may not have a lead. With all the attention they get, I would hope someone else could step up. And we're still mediocre against the run. The first few weeks looked promising, but has been shaky since then. Still improved from last year though.

As far as D.J. Williams, I have no issues with him...it sucks that he's a trouble maker, but all teams come with them and you need to accept it. When he's on the field it's noticeable. He's a consistent leading or second leading tackler year in and year out, and is better in coverage than most of the guys we have now at LB. I'd still play him outside though rather than at mike. He can blitz on occasion too when we bring the heat.

I still maintain that a big need is a vocal leader. I don't associate anyone on this defense now with the equivalent of what we had in Brian Dawkins or even John Lynch, even if those guys were average players in their later years. I think that is overlooked.

Traveler
10-18-2012, 12:45 PM
After DJ's infamous tweet, was it ever revealed what position he was being ask to learn? For all the trouble he's been in off the field, his play is definitely noticable when he is on the field. Educated guess is MLB(DUH! :doh:) since Miller is entrenched at SLB and he already knows WLB.

Probably still one of the few who wants DJ to remain with the team. Having said that, I wouldn't be adverse to the following two scenarios:

WLB Irving
MLB DJ
SLB Miller

or

WLB DJ
MLB Brooking
SLB Miller

Irving is starting to flash more and was always better suited to the OLB position IMO. As well as Woodyard has played this season, he just isn't built to last as an every down player. Never was a Mays guy. Trevethan is a nice player also coming off the bench. Address the MLB position in the draft.

G_Money
10-18-2012, 02:48 PM
let's talk linebackers. . .absolutely-- got both coach and G in the thread, this is a good time. . .

so. . . is teo as good as advertised? and if so, how far up might we have to move?

I love T'eo. Is he as good as advertised? Yes. Will he go top-10? I doubt it. More like 12-15, unless he blows the doors down at the combine (which is absolutely possible). I don't think we'd move up for T'eo, though. If he falls to us (like Maualuga and Laurinaitis fell) then I would hope we'd snap him up (please run a 4.7 at the combine, pleeeeeassee...). Right now though I'm looking more at Skov (possibly more of a 3-4 inside backer instead of a 4-3) and Mauti from Penn St. (if both his knees are now good to go). Both should be 2nd-ish round guys. Ogletree is intriguing as a character-questions guy who might be a little light in the pants for MLB, but has the frame to put on muscle and the talent to take advantage. Ogletree is like having Atwater play LB, but he might be a knucklehead.

I'm not a huge fan of Mosley yet (I think the rest of the Bama D makes his job waaaay easier), and Minter from LSU is all right. If you wanted to grab a guy in the 3rd or 4th who could play, my guess right now would be Bostic from Florida. He's really doing a number in that Gator defense, and seems under-rated.

Personally, I love Mauti's leadership at Penn St, and it's not Linebacker U for nothin. If his knees give teams pause, I'd be more than happy to take him and give us a leadership presence and tackling machine at MLB again. I'm tentatively slotting Mauti in the 2nd in my personal mock at this point. ;)

~G

NightTerror218
10-18-2012, 02:55 PM
I love T'eo. Is he as good as advertised? Yes. Will he go top-10? I doubt it. More like 12-15, unless he blows the doors down at the combine (which is absolutely possible). I don't think we'd move up for T'eo, though. If he falls to us (like Maualuga and Laurinaitis fell) then I would hope we'd snap him up (please run a 4.7 at the combine, pleeeeeassee...). Right now though I'm looking more at Skov (possibly more of a 3-4 inside backer instead of a 4-3) and Mauti from Penn St. (if both his knees are now good to go). Both should be 2nd-ish round guys. Ogletree is intriguing as a character-questions guy who might be a little light in the pants for MLB, but has the frame to put on muscle and the talent to take advantage. Ogletree is like having Atwater play LB, but he might be a knucklehead.

I'm not a huge fan of Mosley yet (I think the rest of the Bama D makes his job waaaay easier), and Minter from LSU is all right. If you wanted to grab a guy in the 3rd or 4th who could play, my guess right now would be Bostic from Florida. He's really doing a number in that Gator defense, and seems under-rated.

Personally, I love Mauti's leadership at Penn St, and it's not Linebacker U for nothin. If his knees give teams pause, I'd be more than happy to take him and give us a leadership presence and tackling machine at MLB again. I'm tentatively slotting Mauti in the 2nd in my personal mock at this point. ;)

~G

Mauti is my back up if T'eo is not available. IMO the top 3 picks should be MLB, DT (NT), and S/OL.

G_Money
10-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Agreed on the MLB/DT/OL front. Right now I want the OT in the first, but that's flexible. I expect to have a few DTs early in this draft, though (one of the things that could push T'eo down a coupla spots), so if it's between the 5th best DT and the best RT, I kinda want the best RT.

Still watching Sheldon Richardson for a DT spot in the late 1st (depending on our season, of course, but making the playoffs would put us in the 20s for draft spots). He's been more impressive than I expected in SEC play and has found a motor, one of my keys for DTs. He has the physical prowess our staff would like at the position, and would look really interesting next to Wolfe IMO.

Besides, maybe then we can trade down a little bit in the first round. That's always exciting...

~G

NightTerror218
10-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Agreed on the MLB/DT/OL front. Right now I want the OT in the first, but that's flexible. I expect to have a few DTs early in this draft, though (one of the things that could push T'eo down a coupla spots), so if it's between the 5th best DT and the best RT, I kinda want the best RT.

Still watching Sheldon Richardson for a DT spot in the late 1st (depending on our season, of course, but making the playoffs would put us in the 20s for draft spots). He's been more impressive than I expected in SEC play and has found a motor, one of my keys for DTs. He has the physical prowess our staff would like at the position, and would look really interesting next to Wolfe IMO.

Besides, maybe then we can trade down a little bit in the first round. That's always exciting...

~G

I think more OL will go earlier then DT. I would rather have a stout DL right now since our OL is manageable. And upgrading DL shows quicker improvement and will help if you can limit the points. We are putting up 30 points a game but if we can cut down the points the opposing team can score makes it easier. The only OL position i think that could use some serious help is C. Beadles is a great run blocker and looks better this season.

G_Money
10-18-2012, 04:59 PM
We disagree on Beadles, and Clady's a FA next year. I assume we're not gonna let him go, but he hasn't been the same stud since the knee injury and the loss of the Shanny ZBS. *shrugs* Again, it depends who's available. If T'eo is there, he's my guy. I don't see another 1st round LB I'd take, really, so yeah at that point DT's fine if I don't like the OL options (and some interesting ones are struggling and might drop, especially since RT is not the glamor position that LT is - we might be able to steal a RT later).

DT Richardson/LB Mauti/OT Wagner isn't a bad way to start the draft. Play-making DT, defensive leader and stalwart MLB, and a RT to shift Franklin to OG would work for me.

But mocks are kinda presumptuous when they're done before FA. They're presumptuous ANYWAY, but at least after FA we have a better idea of our draft needs and roster situation.

Whether in FA or the draft (and looking at FA, I'm thinking it'll be the draft) we've GOT to fix our MLB situation.

~G

NightTerror218
10-18-2012, 05:18 PM
We disagree on Beadles, and Clady's a FA next year. I assume we're not gonna let him go, but he hasn't been the same stud since the knee injury and the loss of the Shanny ZBS. *shrugs* Again, it depends who's available. If T'eo is there, he's my guy. I don't see another 1st round LB I'd take, really, so yeah at that point DT's fine if I don't like the OL options (and some interesting ones are struggling and might drop, especially since RT is not the glamor position that LT is - we might be able to steal a RT later).

DT Richardson/LB Mauti/OT Wagner isn't a bad way to start the draft. Play-making DT, defensive leader and stalwart MLB, and a RT to shift Franklin to OG would work for me.

But mocks are kinda presumptuous when they're done before FA. They're presumptuous ANYWAY, but at least after FA we have a better idea of our draft needs and roster situation.

Whether in FA or the draft (and looking at FA, I'm thinking it'll be the draft) we've GOT to fix our MLB situation.

~G

Clady will get the tag if he does not sign a new contract. I think Beadles is playing better this season then last season. While I think him and walton are below average for a starter.

G_Money
10-18-2012, 05:36 PM
For me, I don't think you can play Beadles and Walton together. It's like Joe Mays would be fine if we had an outstanding pass-coverage safety to cover up his deficiencies and bring the hammer with 8 in the box, but without that the flaws are exposed and nearly fatal.

Walton next to a couple of hulking guards would be fine, IMO. Beadles playing next to a Matt Birk type isn't a big deal.

Walton and Beadles next to each other on the line is causing us problems, and I want that problem resolved. It's not better with Koppen in there (not that I thought it would be), but bringing in Beadles off the bench the next time a guard is injured would be preferrable to seeing Manny Ramirez out there for sure.

Since I think Franklin will remain a pass-protecting liability as a tackle but is a monster in the run game, moving him inside to give Walton some beef to play next to and clear up the RT pass-protection issues (hopefully) at the same time is where I'm at.

But I was there last year and the Broncos disagreed with me, so we'll see.

~G

NightTerror218
10-18-2012, 05:48 PM
For me, I don't think you can play Beadles and Walton together. It's like Joe Mays would be fine if we had an outstanding pass-coverage safety to cover up his deficiencies and bring the hammer with 8 in the box, but without that the flaws are exposed and nearly fatal.

Walton next to a couple of hulking guards would be fine, IMO. Beadles playing next to a Matt Birk type isn't a big deal.

Walton and Beadles next to each other on the line is causing us problems, and I want that problem resolved. It's not better with Koppen in there (not that I thought it would be), but bringing in Beadles off the bench the next time a guard is injured would be preferrable to seeing Manny Ramirez out there for sure.

Since I think Franklin will remain a pass-protecting liability as a tackle but is a monster in the run game, moving him inside to give Walton some beef to play next to and clear up the RT pass-protection issues (hopefully) at the same time is where I'm at.

But I was there last year and the Broncos disagreed with me, so we'll see.

~G

IMO Manning is making the line better. But he has a couple years here. Improving the defense will help make a better SB push.

Day1BroncoFan
10-18-2012, 05:51 PM
When you guys start talking college, you lose me. :whoknows:

I'm lucky if I can even keep up with The Broncos. Don't know how you find the time.

NightTerror218
10-18-2012, 05:52 PM
When you guys start talking college, you lose me. :whoknows:

I'm lucky if I can even keep up with The Broncos. Don't know how you find the time.

how I spend my saturdays, watching college football

Day1BroncoFan
10-18-2012, 06:12 PM
how I spend my saturdays, watching college football

I'm doing many different things most of which don't include sitting around or watching TV. :D

NightTerror218
10-18-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm doing many different things most of which don't include sitting around or watching TV. :D

Its that time of year. There is snow and I no longer have any "honey-do" lists outside. As long as nothing breaks inside I have a day to relax (or 2 with Sunday). As long as I put the Oregon State game on I am ok cause the wife will watch that with me.

Day1BroncoFan
10-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Its that time of year. There is snow and I no longer have any "honey-do" lists outside. As long as nothing breaks inside I have a day to relax (or 2 with Sunday). As long as I put the Oregon State game on I am ok cause the wife will watch that with me.

I live in the desert, this is the good time of the year. Even when it's over 100º outside I'm still somewhere doing something.

Chef Zambini
10-18-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm doing many different things most of which don't include sitting around or watching TV. :Dbravo on keeping up to date with your biking goal !

Chef Zambini
10-18-2012, 10:04 PM
never fails, draft talk rakes over every thread, even with more than 10 games to play> no idea who will develop, who will get injured, who will become a free agent. dont let reality get in the way of speculation about the future. at least I wait until the draft actually happens before i complain about the results.

MOtorboat
10-18-2012, 10:14 PM
never fails, draft talk rakes over every thread, even with more than 10 games to play> no idea who will develop, who will get injured, who will become a free agent. dont let reality get in the way of speculation about the future. at least I wait until the draft actually happens before i complain about the results.

Oh, and complain you do...