PDA

View Full Version : Norv Turner on Chargers' collapse: 'Make it about me'

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Peyton Manning was pure magic down the stretch. Philip Rivers -- like the rest of us -- could only watch the lead slip away as the Denver Broncos turned a 24-0 deficit into a 35-24 win over the San Diego Chargers.

The most ghastly showing of Rivers' career unfolded on national television, symbolic of his poor timing on Monday night. The veteran passer -- steadily extinguishing the "elite" argument -- threw four interceptions and gave away two more fumbles.

After the game, Turner was asked if he contemplated airlifting Rivers out of this disaster for backup Charlie Whitehurst.

rest - plus video - Turner postgame - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000081107/article/norv-turner-on-chargers-collapse-make-it-about-me?module=HP11_headline_stack

BroncoNut
10-16-2012, 01:11 PM
wow. guess I've been looking at this as a great come from behind when it really was an assthrashing of the Chargers

slim
10-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Did anyone see his press conference after the game?

I thought he was going to cry. Seriously, I'm not joking.

BroncoNut
10-16-2012, 01:14 PM

so? men cry. I bet you cry Slim. I would if I were you

hotcarl
10-16-2012, 01:16 PM
norv turner is a fraud, rivers is a joke

Davii
10-16-2012, 01:16 PM
It should be about Nor, but it should also be about Rivers and the Broncos. Rivers seriously choked in that second half, and you could see him slip further and further. After the quick strike score to open the second half you could see Rivers start to force the issue. After the strip-sack-fumble-TD he was really forcing it... The Broncos played brilliantly, but it also falls on the Charger's shoulders.

rationalfan
10-16-2012, 01:18 PM
last night during the game i was thinking, "this feels like the kind of game that gets norv fired." not this week, or maybe even next month. but after the season. reminded me of the last time the raiders beat down shanny's broncos at mile high; remember, reports have said that's the game that convinced bowlen a change was needed.

slim
10-16-2012, 01:21 PM
so? men cry. I bet you cry Slim. I would if I were you

EAD, faggot.

BroncoNut
10-16-2012, 01:22 PM
EAD, faggot.

i was just kidding. you seem pretty easy going and happy actually.

Northman
10-16-2012, 01:24 PM

Who Norv? Or Phyliss?

slim
10-16-2012, 01:25 PM
i was just kidding. you seem pretty easy going and happy actually.

That is true. I am both of those things.

I apologize for lashing out at you.

slim
10-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Who Norv? Or Phyliss?

Norv.

Day1BroncoFan
10-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Both.

Northman
10-16-2012, 01:26 PM
The sad thing for the Dolts (good thing for us) is that Norv was kept on for so long. They team was at its height 4 or so years ago and they let the window of opportunity pass. Rivers is still young enough to get a ring at some point but i dont think its going to happen in SD. As for Norv, i hope they sign him to an extension.

BroncoNut
10-16-2012, 01:29 PM
That is true. I am both of those things.

I apologize for lashing out at you.

no apology necessary. I can be mean sometimes.

slim
10-16-2012, 01:32 PM
no apology necessary. I can be mean sometimes.

Let's put this behind us.

Do you want to troll North with me?

BroncoNut
10-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Let's put this behind us.

Do you want to troll North with me?

agreed. let's move on

I can't troll North. I've met him and he's entertained me a few nights

slim
10-16-2012, 01:40 PM
agreed. let's move on

I can't troll North. I've met him and he's entertained me a few nights

Wow. He may not be comfortable with you disclosing that on a public message board.

Northman
10-16-2012, 01:42 PM
He was pretty mesmerized by the size of my....

cd collection.

BroncoNut
10-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Wow. He may not be comfortable with you disclosing that on a public message board.

oh people know. I think we posted pics in fact. it can be kinda difficult getting to North's house sometimes. for me anyway. I'm retarded I am pretty sure.

slim
10-16-2012, 01:45 PM
oh people know. I think we posted pics in fact

Gross

BroncoNut
10-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Gross

huh? no grosser than those of you and your wife. what did she do anyway, lose a bet?

Northman
10-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Lmao

slim
10-16-2012, 01:50 PM
huh? no grosser than those of you and your wife. what did she do anyway, lose a bet?

EAD, faggot.

BroncoNut
10-16-2012, 01:52 PM
EAD, faggot.

well. from the pic I saw, it looked like you're pretty wife was enjoying a nice day of whale watching.

Cugel
10-16-2012, 02:25 PM
The sad thing for the Dolts (good thing for us) is that Norv was kept on for so long. They team was at its height 4 or so years ago and they let the window of opportunity pass. Rivers is still young enough to get a ring at some point but i dont think its going to happen in SD. As for Norv, i hope they sign him to an extension.

Sadly, unless the Chargers improve dramatically over their last 10 games this will be the last year for both Norv AND AJ Smith.

The simple problem for the Chargers is that they've lost a LOT of All Pro talent over the last 4 years and haven't replaced any of it with equivalent talent: L.T., Darren Sproles, Vincent Jackson, Jamal Williams, and Shawne Merriman (defensive MVP one year). Not ONE of the current Chargers is close to as talented as they were. And the one remaining weapon, Antonio Gates just isn't nearly the player he was before his injuries.

And that talent drain is all on A.J. Smith. He and owner Spanos wanted to prove they were "right" for firing Marty Shottenheimer and replacing him with mediocrity Norv Turner.

Well, it was obvious from the first that Norv was a victim of the Peter Principle, which states that in any organization, a person who's successful at one level will rise to the level of his incompetence. Norv was a decent Offensive Coordinator, but is an utterly lousy head-coach.

Ravage!!!
10-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Some people give Cutler such a hard time about his face expressions... but man oh mighty.... can Rivers "cry" and "whine" any more than he does on EVERY call against the Chargers? God, I got tired of him bitching like a girl on every whistle.

OrangeHoof
10-16-2012, 03:00 PM
wow. guess I've been looking at this as a great come from behind when it really was an assthrashing of the Chargers

There are a lot of media treating this like Manning is a miracle worker when it was two defensive TDs and another INT that set up a TD that turned around the game. Of course, the media did the same thing last year with Tebow (who got the credit for defensive turnovers and 50+-yard FGs) but, really, I didn't see Manning doing much more than leading two TD drives.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2012, 03:12 PM
The Chargers are finished. Done. Perfectly cooked – seared on the outside and moist and tender on the inside for the NFL’s holiday dining pleasure. No need to worry about toughness or bone. There is no gristle or spine.

Turn off the grill.

What could possibly make anyone believe a team that just suffered the worst collapse since Rome – if Nero had been in Qualcomm Stadium Monday night he would have been a fiddlin’ fool while his team got burned – can recover and make a legitimate run at the playoffs?

This came at home. On ESPN. With Philip Rivers becoming a mistake machine.

rest - http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/oct/15/canepa-chargers-and-their-season-are-well-done/

Ravage!!!
10-16-2012, 03:12 PM
We gave them 17 points off turnovers, and they gave us 17 off turnovers. Manning looked fantastic the second half, converting long 3rd downs, jumping over DL on the ground, moving within the pocket, finding the open guys....... did we punt the second half?

BroncoJoe
10-16-2012, 03:14 PM
We gave them 17 points off turnovers, and they gave us 17 off turnovers. Manning looked fantastic the second half, converting long 3rd downs, jumping over DL on the ground, moving within the pocket, finding the open guys....... did we punt the second half?

That play was eerily similar to several Elway plays that you often see in highlights.

Davii
10-16-2012, 03:47 PM
That play was eerily similar to several Elway plays that you often see in highlights.

Manning showed how much damage you can do with a well executed 3 1/2" vertical. White men CAN jump. Well, sort of....

NightTerror218
10-16-2012, 04:27 PM

actually they either gave us 14 (2 returned TDs) or 21. We did not kick a field goal besides the PAs last night.

BroncoNut
10-16-2012, 05:14 PM
There are a lot of media treating this like Manning is a miracle worker when it was two defensive TDs and another INT that set up a TD that turned around the game. Of course, the media did the same thing last year with Tebow (who got the credit for defensive turnovers and 50+-yard FGs) but, really, I didn't see Manning doing much more than leading two TD drives.

I'd agree with you there OH. through the 1st half Manning had his hands tied. There was nothing he could do. everyone was screwing up. . then a few people stepped their play up and he was able to do his job. who cares who gets the credit. it's a doubleyou

CrazyHorse
10-16-2012, 06:54 PM
I think firing Norv would only set them back.

Day1BroncoFan
10-16-2012, 07:28 PM

Not firing him will likely keep them back. I think he is the setback.

BroncoNut
10-17-2012, 09:48 AM

I don't really care on the welfare of the Chargers, but sometimes yoiu have to take a step back to take one forward

Anonymous

TXBRONC
10-17-2012, 10:15 AM
It should be about Nor, but it should also be about Rivers and the Broncos. Rivers seriously choked in that second half, and you could see him slip further and further. After the quick strike score to open the second half you could see Rivers start to force the issue. After the strip-sack-fumble-TD he was really forcing it... The Broncos played brilliantly, but it also falls on the Charger's shoulders.

Some Charger fans are saying that the Chargers lost because of Dumervil lining up in the neutral zone before the start of the play that lead to the strip-sack fumble TD.

Northman
10-17-2012, 10:49 AM
I'd agree with you there OH. through the 1st half Manning had his hands tied. There was nothing he could do. everyone was screwing up. . then a few people stepped their play up and he was able to do his job. who cares who gets the credit. it's a doubleyou

Thats ok, had the Chargers won Rivers would of gotten all the credit despite the Dolt defense scoring a defensive TD and forcing 2 fumbles. Its a two way street and while the denver defense does get major kudos the face of the team will always be Manning (or whatever QB is there). Its just how it works in the NFL.

Northman
10-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Some Charger fans are saying that the Chargers lost because of Dumervil lining up in the neutral zone before the start of the play that lead to the strip-sack fumble TD.

So, in their opinion the Chargers could do nothing after that play? lol

TXBRONC
10-17-2012, 04:48 PM
So, in their opinion the Chargers could do nothing after that play? lol

From the website I visited that's the way it came across.

CrazyHorse
10-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Not firing him will likely keep them back. I think he is the setback.

Norv will hold the team back, but firing him right now would just set the team back further this season even if only temporary. The Chargers have a good shot at making the playoffs as a WC or division winner if we don't. If they make the playoffs I think he gets another year hopefully. If not he may be gone.

TimHippo
10-17-2012, 10:58 PM
How is this guy still in the league. Stuttering Norv.

topscribe
10-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Some people give Cutler such a hard time about his face expressions... but man oh mighty.... can Rivers "cry" and "whine" any more than he does on EVERY call against the Chargers? God, I got tired of him bitching like a girl on every whistle.
Really? I've waited so long for this, I enjoyed every minute of it . . .

tomjonesrocks
10-18-2012, 08:13 AM

I didn't hear that. What I did hear at work from Chargers fans were cries Rivers' arm was moving forward.

TXBRONC
10-18-2012, 09:16 AM
I didn't hear that. What I did hear at work from Chargers fans were cries Rivers' arm was moving forward.

Not surprising but the video confirmed the ball was out of Rivers' hand before it came forward.

I was referring to a Chargers message board. I did get a couple of things wrong. They were referring to Wolfe who was playing nose tackle and he didn't line up in the neutral zone but was caught in it at the snap of the ball. In either case they're blaming the refs.

BroncoNut
10-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Thats ok, had the Chargers won Rivers would of gotten all the credit despite the Dolt defense scoring a defensive TD and forcing 2 fumbles. Its a two way street and while the denver defense does get major kudos the face of the team will always be Manning (or whatever QB is there). Its just how it works in the NFL.

I'm not saying that that isn't so North. Not just in the NFL, but in life. I guess I like to consider myself aware of the contributions of the unsung heros so to speak

Enjoy your day!

TimHippo
10-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Peyton Manning was pure magic down the stretch. Philip Rivers -- like the rest of us -- could only watch the lead slip away as the Denver Broncos turned a 24-0 deficit into a 35-24 win over the San Diego Chargers.

The most ghastly showing of Rivers' career unfolded on national television, symbolic of his poor timing on Monday night. The veteran passer -- steadily extinguishing the "elite" argument -- threw four interceptions and gave away two more fumbles.

After the game, Turner was asked if he contemplated airlifting Rivers out of this disaster for backup Charlie Whitehurst.

rest - plus video - Turner postgame - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000081107/article/norv-turner-on-chargers-collapse-make-it-about-me?module=HP11_headline_stack

That's cause it is on you, Norv. He was a bumbling fool with the Redskins for a decade. Beats me how Dave Wannstedt and him kept getting NFL jobs after destroying franchises with mediocrity.

Dzone
10-19-2012, 06:03 PM
I hope he never leaves the Chargers. We need him there because he sucks

TXBRONC
10-19-2012, 06:16 PM
I hope he never leaves the Chargers. We need him there because he sucks

Spanos is going get tired of him and A.J. Smith sooner or later.