PDA

View Full Version : Our Outside Guys: The WRs and CBs

cmc0605
10-16-2012, 12:17 AM
A few weeks ago I made a contentious post urging people to re-consider their criticism of Denver's WRs, and after the last few weeks I must say I am still very happy with the group we have. Eric Decker does some bone-headed things once in a while (the slide, the falling down) but hopefully he can get past that. He has become a very good WR, has made a ton of great catches, and is clearly a guy Manning loves to look for. He had another amazing catch that was called back from a crappy offensive PI. I did not think many people were being fair in criticizing him for so-called "drops" but he has had reliable hands recently, and did a good job fighting for that TD near the goal line. DT is emerging as one of the more dominant WRs in football, along the calibur of a Brandon Marshall, and Stokley is still one of the best slot guys out there.

As far as corners, I couldn't be happier with the way Harris and Carter stepped up tonight in the absence of Porter. It seemed like Bailey was the only player that showed up during the first half, but was disappointed to see him give up a few passes in the second half. The young guys stepped up and helped win that game for us. Hopefully this is a season-changing comeback and after the bye week, we come out in destruction mode (for 60 minutes!)

Superchop 7
10-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Decker tweeted...."I don't think you may have seen it.....but they had a trip wire out there"

For me.....it looked like timing issues with receivers early in season.....wasn't worried.

Stokley is like the George Blanda of receivers.....3rd down.....game on the line......tap him on the shoulder and he puts on a clinic.

CBs stepped up huge.

Superchop 7
10-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Decker tweeted...."I don't think you may have seen it.....but they had a trip wire out there"

For me.....it looked like timing issues with receivers early in season.....wasn't worried.

Stokley is like the George Blanda of receivers.....3rd down.....game on the line......tap him on the shoulder and he puts on a clinic.

CBs stepped up huge.

rationalfan
10-16-2012, 01:16 PM
A few weeks ago I made a contentious post urging people to re-consider their criticism of Denver's WRs, and after the last few weeks I must say I am still very happy with the group we have. Eric Decker does some bone-headed things once in a while (the slide, the falling down) but hopefully he can get past that. He has become a very good WR, has made a ton of great catches, and is clearly a guy Manning loves to look for. He had another amazing catch that was called back from a crappy offensive PI. I did not think many people were being fair in criticizing him for so-called "drops" but he has had reliable hands recently, and did a good job fighting for that TD near the goal line. DT is emerging as one of the more dominant WRs in football, along the calibur of a Brandon Marshall, and Stokley is still one of the best slot guys out there.

As far as corners, I couldn't be happier with the way Harris and Carter stepped up tonight in the absence of Porter. It seemed like Bailey was the only player that showed up during the first half, but was disappointed to see him give up a few passes in the second half. The young guys stepped up and helped win that game for us. Hopefully this is a season-changing comeback and after the bye week, we come out in destruction mode (for 60 minutes!)

i think it's somewhere in between. prior to this weekend, no two starting WRs had more drops than Decker and Thomas this season, so it's fair to say they were making more mistakes than they should. but, i think your post gets to the point that some fans seem to expect perfection from their skill players (watch any team's games, their skill positions make bonehead plays/mistakes too) and the HOF corner (he can't stop every pass).

as for harris and carter, i never would have expected their play last night. it was outstanding. i hope they can maintain it throughout the season. And, i think, they're an example of why fans' reactions aren't always right; how many times have we (truly, we, myself included) wondered why harris or carter made the team as opposed to some other corners (florence, sydquan, etc.)? patience can be rewarded.

catfish
10-16-2012, 01:20 PM
i think it's somewhere in between. prior to this weekend, no two starting WRs had more drops than Decker and Thomas this season, so it's fair to say they were making more mistakes than they should. but, i think your post gets to the point that some fans seem to expect perfection from their skill players (watch any team's games, their skill positions make bonehead plays/mistakes too) and the HOF corner (he can't stop every pass).

as for harris and carter, i never would have expected their play last night. it was outstanding. i hope they can maintain it throughout the season. And, i think, they're an example of why fans' reactions aren't always right; how many times have we (truly, we, myself included) wondered why harris or carter made the team as opposed to some other corners (florence, sydquan, etc.)? patience can be rewarded.

I think like many young players with experience their consistency will improve, couldn't ask for a much better QB to help young guys improve

Racer X
10-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Long time reader, first time poster....

I think DT and Decker are just not used to catching bombs that land in their breadbasket when their wide open and have time to RAC. Llast year they would have to slide or dive to catch a poorly thrown ball (ie giving into Deckers instinctive hookslide)..but this year not so much.....

Maybe this gives them to much time to think (or trip....or fumble). Once these catches become the norm, they will know what to do (like run and not trip or fumble)

Dean
10-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I think like many young players with experience their consistency will improve, couldn't ask for a much better QB to help young guys improve

Couldn't ask for a much better QB period. . .end of statement. First ballot hall of fame QBs make everyone better.

Dreadnought
10-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Couldn't ask for a much better QB period. . .end of statement. First ballot hall of fame QBs make everyone better.

True, but I for one love this WR corps, and viewed most of the criticism as idiotic. DT and Decker are becoming legit #1 and #1A type guys (an overused catagory that I hate, but there it is), and Stokley is still a great weapon in his own right. DT and Decker played well in 2011 - at times brilliantly - and are Team guys who block well, are not divas, and learned the art of not snivelling when they don't get enough targets. This team has some needs, WR ain't one of them.

The CB's this year have been a pleasant surprise, Porter in Week 1, Carter and Harris yesterday. Its been a while since any Denver CB not named Bailey have made a difference in a good way