PDA

View Full Version : Brooking might replace Joe Mays as starting MLB

MOtorboat
10-14-2012, 10:47 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21768062/broncos-keith-brooking-might-replace-joe-mays-starting

Broncos' Keith Brooking might replace Joe Mays as starting MLB

Expect a change in the middle of the Broncos' defense for their game Monday night against the San Diego Chargers.

Keith Brooking replaced Joe Mays as the Broncos' No. 1 middle linebacker during the past week of practice.

Broncos coach John Fox would not confirm the starting lineup change.

Read more: Broncos' Keith Brooking might replace Joe Mays as starting MLB - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21768062/broncos-keith-brooking-might-replace-joe-mays-starting#ixzz29Hy9k293

CrazyHorse
10-14-2012, 10:50 AM
About time.

underrated29
10-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Yep. Have to agree. Brooking can diagnose the play and get the guys in the right position as well as stuff the proper hole. I noticed it in the raidersj game. He is slow, but lucky for us, San Diego doesn't have any speedster rbs.

SR
10-14-2012, 10:54 AM
This is the best move the coaching staff has made all season if it comes to fruition.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

nevcraw
10-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Thia ia one area the FO has ignored like the e 2 regimes before.. need to address this spot early in the draft next year.

EastCoastBronco
10-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Thia ia one area the FO has ignored like the e 2 regimes before.. need to address this spot early in the draft next year.
True enough.
We haven't had a strong, knowledgeable leader in that spot since Al Wilson left...

Nomad
10-14-2012, 11:41 AM
I thought he had replaced Mays, but he had a concussion being the reason he didn't play much. Then again, I don't even know what number Brooking is without looking it up.

SR
10-14-2012, 11:51 AM
I thought he had replaced Mays, but he had a concussion being the reason he didn't play much. Then again, I don't even know what number Brooking is without looking it up.

He replaced Mays for one game while Mays was on suspension.

pipes
10-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Christmas in October?

MOtorboat
10-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Christmas in October?

Yeah, I wouldn't get that excited. Brooking has the same physical limitations that Mays has, meaning he's slow. Hopefully his head can make up for it.

SR
10-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't get that excited. Brooking has the same physical limitations that Mays has, meaning he's slow. Hopefully his head can make up for it.

I think his mental ability is going to make up for it. A lot of Mays' problems are mental. He takes bad angles, tries to destroy everyone he tackles and misses a lot as a result, picks bad gaps, etc. Brooking wont make those mistakes.

Simple Jaded
10-14-2012, 12:14 PM
People worried about Brooking's speed? I'd say it's about even in that area, but the improvement should come in Brooking's experience and intelligence. Improvement should be minimal, imo, but even at his age he is the better LB. I doubt any of us are expecting Al Wilson.......

MOtorboat
10-14-2012, 12:18 PM
I think his mental ability is going to make up for it. A lot of Mays' problems are mental. He takes bad angles, tries to destroy everyone he tackles and misses a lot as a result, picks bad gaps, etc. Brooking wont make those mistakes.

I concur. That's what I'm hoping for too.

People worried about Brooking's speed? I'd say it's about even in that area, but the improvement should come in Brooking's experience and intelligence. Improvement should be minimal, imo, but even at his age he is the better LB. I doubt any of us are expecting Al Wilson.......

I'm not concerned about Brooking's speed. Only pointing out its about the same as Mays' which would still have matchup problems with guys like Woodhead. It's definitely not Christmas in October, but it is something different.

Simple Jaded
10-14-2012, 12:30 PM

I'm not concerned about Brooking's speed. Only pointing out its about the same as Mays' which would still have matchup problems with guys like Woodhead. It's definitely not Christmas in October, but it is something different.

Yeah, I was still typing as you were posting, I pretty much meant the same thing you did. The speed between the two is "6 of one and a half dozen of the other", I think the coverage is pretty much a wash, it will be an issue for the foreseeable future.......

Simple Jaded
10-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Speaking of MLB's does anybody object to a second shot at Rey Maualuga in March? He clearly isn't Patrick Willis but he's a legit starting MLBer.......

SR
10-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Speaking of MLB's does anybody object to a second shot at Rey Maualuga in March? He clearly isn't Patrick Willis but he's a legit starting MLBer.......

I'd take him but he still has a year on his contract does he not?

HORSEPOWER 56
10-14-2012, 01:29 PM
With a nod to our Canadian posters (or is that Canadien?), it's aboot damned time...

Cugel
10-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Clearly Mays hasn't been worth the $4 million contract they gave him for this season. Brooking isn't Patrick Willis, but people are missing much of the importance of this:

Brooking had been the Broncos' weakside linebacker in the base defense but was substituted out for Wesley Woodyard on passing downs. Wooydard will now become a full-time weakside linebacker, with Brooking shifting to the middle. Mike Klis, The Denver Post

This is as much about making Wesley Woodyard the starting WLB as it is about putting Brooking into the starting MLB position. Woodyard is better in coverage of course, and the big problem last week was that the Patriots kept the Broncos from substituting. If they found Booking at WLB then they match him up against a TE or receiver and it's a mismatch. Normally, the Broncos would just trot out Woodyard, but the furious up-tempo play of the Patriots prevented that.

They should have done this weeks ago.

Now the question is what happens when DJ returns for game 10. Normally, he'd start over Woodyard. But, they could possibly put him in at MLB where he also has extensive experience. He'll instantly upgrade the Broncos LB corps significantly.

It badly needs it.

Simple Jaded
10-14-2012, 02:38 PM
I'd take him but he still has a year on his contract does he not?

Not according to Rotoworld.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5205/rey-maualuga

Just click on "View contract details", should be able to on your phone.

Most players 2nd round and lower sign 4 year deals, that makes most of the '09 rookies '12 free agents. I'd give both Maualuga and Michael Johnson a call. Along with Hill and Knighton.......

Cugel
10-14-2012, 02:45 PM
The weakness at LB is also a reflection of Elway's Osweiler fixation. The entire draft revolved around drafting Osweiler. They could have drafted Don'ta Hightower #25 -- he has stepped right into the Patriots starting position at LB. But that would have meant that if they took Wolfe at #36, they would be passing on Osweiler, since he would be unlikely to fall to the Broncos pick in the 3rd round. Plus they would have had to wait until the 4th to draft a RB.

It now looks like Peyton Manning can play as long as he wants to. He's pretty much 100% back from his injury to his old form. Doesn't look like Osweiler will play a snap in the next 3 years at least. And frankly, I could see Manning playing into his 40's if he wants to.

After all, they protect the QB a lot better now than in the past, plus Manning's strength has always been his mind, not his arm strength and foot speed. It doesn't look like his physical skills declining will force him to retire any time soon. That might mean another 4 years for Manning after this one. That's rather a long time for Osweiler to twiddle his thumbs on the bench! And a pretty much wasted draft pick.

!

SR
10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
The weakness at LB is also a reflection of Elway's Osweiler fixation. The entire draft revolved around drafting Osweiler. They could have drafted Don'ta Hightower #25 -- he has stepped right into the Patriots starting position at LB. But that would have meant that if they took Wolfe at #36, they would be passing on Osweiler, since he would be unlikely to fall to the Broncos pick in the 3rd round. Plus they would have had to wait until the 4th to draft a RB.

It now looks like Peyton Manning can play as long as he wants to. He's pretty much 100% back from his injury to his old form. Doesn't look like Osweiler will play a snap in the next 3 years at least. And frankly, I could see Manning playing into his 40's if he wants to.

After all, they protect the QB a lot better now than in the past, plus Manning's strength has always been his mind, not his arm strength and foot speed. It doesn't look like his physical skills declining will force him to retire any time soon. That might mean another 4 years for Manning after this one. That's rather a long time for Osweiler to twiddle his thumbs on the bench! And a pretty much wasted draft pick.

!

I thought I was reading one of Zam's posts at first, then I saw correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Too bad the post is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Simple Jaded
10-14-2012, 03:00 PM

!
Even if this were remotely true the pick wasn't made in hindsight. Besides, the pick was made in the hope that Manning would play out the majority of his contract.

Wolfe is the reason Hightower is not a Bronco, not Osweiler.......

MOtorboat
10-14-2012, 03:03 PM

!

They would have given up the third, or the fourth-round pick (at least) to get to 36 to get Wolfe.

:whoknows:

Its not a fixation on Osweiler. It was doing what they could with what they had to get players they liked, that includes trading out of the first round, because they thought the value of Wolfe was as good as Hightower or anyone else at 25.

Judging on immediate production, I'd say they were right about that.

Simple Jaded
10-14-2012, 03:16 PM
1st - Hightower
2nd - Wolfe
3rd - Osweiler
4th - Hillman

This would have been ideal, apparently the Broncos didn't think it was possible. That's if the Broncos even had an interest in Hightower.......

pipes
10-14-2012, 03:59 PM

I disagree.
I am THAT excited about Mays not starting.
IMO Mays was the worst starter on the Broncos since Walton went down.

Also IMO, the Broncos are MUCH better with Koppen, Brooking, and Holliday starting rather than Walton, Mays, and Bolden/Leonard!

Joel
10-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Clearly Mays hasn't been worth the $4 million contract they gave him for this season. Brooking isn't Patrick Willis, but people are missing much of the importance of this:

This is as much about making Wesley Woodyard the starting WLB as it is about putting Brooking into the starting MLB position. Woodyard is better in coverage of course, and the big problem last week was that the Patriots kept the Broncos from substituting. If they found Booking at WLB then they match him up against a TE or receiver and it's a mismatch. Normally, the Broncos would just trot out Woodyard, but the furious up-tempo play of the Patriots prevented that.

Now the question is what happens when DJ returns for game 10. Normally, he'd start over Woodyard. But, they could possibly put him in at MLB where he also has extensive experience. He'll instantly upgrade the Broncos LB corps significantly.

It badly needs it.
Anticipation, reads and experience are the main things we're missing at MLB right now, so Brooking would be the no-brainer choice I hope the coaches make; this is long overdue, IMHO. Consider the fact the one and only game we controlled almost from the start and never looked back in was when Mays was suspended.

As for DJs extensive MLB experience, IIRC he only started at MLB one season, and was awful. I know he played ILB in our 3-4, but 3-4 ILB=/=4-3 MLB, and not just because there are two of them covering guys in the middle zone instead of just one (though that's a very good reason by itself.) DJ would probably be better than Mays simply because he wouldn't make all the rookie mistakes and is exceptional in coverage, but whether he would be better than Brooking remains to be seen.

broken12
10-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Sad to say but we would be well off with Seattles defense.....their offense cant do crap but defense has the game within reach

underrated29
10-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Even if this were remotely true the pick wasn't made in hindsight. Besides, the pick was made in the hope that Manning would play out the majority of his contract.

Wolfe is the reason Hightower is not a Bronco, not Osweiler.......

In addition he is an ideal 34 backer not an ideal 43 backer. Could he be effective? Sure, but not any more than DJ is for us.

Dzone
10-14-2012, 07:11 PM
We passed on Maualuga to take that scrub Robert Ayers. Wish we had Maualuga instead

Dzone
10-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Brooking is better than Mays. He shoould be starting in the middle, no doubt. Mays is a $4 million dollar waste

Simple Jaded
10-14-2012, 07:29 PM
We passed on Maualuga to take that scrub Robert Ayers. Wish we had Maualuga instead

They passed on Maualuga twice, they traded up to get Elfonso Smith with Maualuga on the board.......

MOtorboat
10-14-2012, 07:31 PM
We also passed on Tom Brady.

:rolleyes:

Simple Jaded
10-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Never said Maualuga was Tom Brady but I can see where you get the comparison. :rolleyes:.......

DenBronx
10-14-2012, 07:45 PM
I just hope we can finally get a better ILB in the offseason. We have struggled here since Al Wilson.

MOtorboat
10-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Never said Maualuga was Tom Brady but I can see where you get the comparison. :rolleyes:.......

I just abhor whining about "passing" on any player more than about 15 picks after the pick you're whining about. Even five spots past is pushing it.

I get that people wanted Orakpo over Moreno. That makes sense. Two picks apart. But whining about a second round pick that everyone passed on once and many passed on twice is just unintelligent drivel.

I, too, can come up with an All-Pro "passed up" Broncos team. It doesn't make the argument relevant.

Nomad
10-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I will whine forever for passing on Ngata.:lol:

MOtorboat
10-14-2012, 10:41 PM
I will whine forever for passing on Ngata.:lol:

They didn't pass on Ngata.

They moved up to get Cutler.

:wave:

Nomad
10-14-2012, 10:43 PM

He was still on the board when they selected Cutler, so they passed on him.

Simple Jaded
10-14-2012, 11:24 PM
I just abhor whining about "passing" on any player more than about 15 picks after the pick you're whining about. Even five spots past is pushing it.

I get that people wanted Orakpo over Moreno. That makes sense. Two picks apart. But whining about a second round pick that everyone passed on once and many passed on twice is just unintelligent drivel.

I, too, can come up with an All-Pro "passed up" Broncos team. It doesn't make the argument relevant.

I wasn't aware that I whining about anything, just wanted to know if people objected to signing him.

Btw, Maualuga went one pick after Elfonso.......

Now who is whining? :wave:.......

bcbronc
10-15-2012, 01:11 AM

It badly needs it.

imo Woodyard looks a lot better at 43 Will than he does as a nickle LB. He's terrible in man coverage, completely lost. His strengths are definitely his pursuit and flow to the ball. I'm one that didn't think DJ was terrible at ILB (he wasn't anything special, but he's been better than anyone else since AW) so having DJ play Mike probably does give us our best possible LB trio. Would like someone to step up and replace Woodyard in nickle though.

!

As long as Os has some decent showings over the next 2-3 years, it shouldn't be a problem to at least recoup that 2nd round pick. We can go around and around in circles about how a 2nd this year helps us so much more than a 2nd 2-3 years from now (we won't feel that way then though), but anyone that understands the importance of the QB in today's NFL understands why it's important to have your present AND your future accounted for at the position.

Shanahan figured he'd wait for JE to retire and then find a new top tier QB. Didn't work. Elway is taking steps to ensure he doesn't do the same. Can't judge the decision for probably 5 years.

It's a bit short sighted though to just assume whatever other player we picked in the 2nd round would even be contributing right now (don't think Wolfe would have been around...wasn't it Baltimore that was supposed to be interested in him? Not that they know anything about drafting DL...). Odds are he's a Rahim Moore, or worse Terry Pierce.

1st - Hightower
2nd - Wolfe
3rd - Osweiler
4th - Hillman

This would have been ideal, apparently the Broncos didn't think it was possible. That's if the Broncos even had an interest in Hightower.......

I'd bet the Bronco's FO had more than just draftnik rankings to go off.

Poet
10-15-2012, 01:49 AM

He is awful. He misses tackles, takes bad angles, has regressed in coverage and jogs around the field and doesn't hustle when he deems himself out of the play. Maybe better coaching or a new environment would help him, but he has been a pretty big bust in Cincinnati.

weazel
10-15-2012, 11:03 AM
but Chris Collinsworth thinks Joe is the best!

TXBRONC
10-15-2012, 11:17 AM
They would have given up the third, or the fourth-round pick (at least) to get to 36 to get Wolfe.

:whoknows:

Its not a fixation on Osweiler. It was doing what they could with what they had to get players they liked, that includes trading out of the first round, because they thought the value of Wolfe was as good as Hightower or anyone else at 25.

Judging on immediate production, I'd say they were right about that.

Haven't you ever noticed that picks get criticized are always a fixation which generally means the front office knows nothing about evaluating talent?

RebelRocker
10-15-2012, 11:21 AM
True enough.
We haven't had a strong, knowledgeable leader in that spot since Al Wilson left...

Took the words right out of my mouth. It's time we find our "QBOTF on defense". We need that playmaking, outspoken leader in the middle of our defense and we haven't had that since Al Wilson.

broncofaninfla
10-15-2012, 12:03 PM
In the one game that Brooking replaced Mays he was a signifcant upgrade over Mays. I look for more of the same tonight. Hard to think he'd be any worse......

slim
10-15-2012, 12:05 PM
It takes this coaching staff a long time to figure out the obvious.

NightTerror218
10-15-2012, 12:16 PM
I hope so since Porter is out and i think Brookings will be much better to cover the middle then mays.

Traveler
10-15-2012, 12:31 PM

Here's guessing Jaded was referring to the time when the trade in the 2nd round was made. Nothing related the players selected in round one.

I remember a large number of people on this board (me included) getting very excited because the expectation was Maualuga would be the selection. While his career has been mediorcre thusfar, he's certainly better than the the crop of MLB's currently on the roster. Speaks volumes to the dire state of that position when we are inserting a 15 year veteran on the backside of his career into the lineup.

They also swung and missed on Irving, but he seemed more like an OLB to me anyway. Here's hoping they will finally address the position with someone that is athletically gifted, but more importantly, can quickly diagnose and blow up plays like a MLB should.

Buff
10-15-2012, 12:33 PM
It's probably because Joe Mays sucks at Middle Linebacker, if I had to speculate.

Dzone
10-15-2012, 12:47 PM
A lot of LBers contribute in their rookie year. This is Irvings second year and he isnt doing shit.
Yes, Maualuga would have been a better pick than Alphonso Smith but we PASSED! LOL