PDA

View Full Version : The AFC is BAD this year.

BroncoWave
10-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Seriously, looking at the teams in the AFC, we should make the playoffs by default this season. The Pats, Ravens, Texans, and Chargers are the only teams above .500 right now. I think Denver is clearly the best of the rest, but after that, who gets the other wildcard? Indy? Miami? Maybe Pitt or NY still sneaks in? It's really hard to come up with 6 playoff teams right now.

BroncoWave
10-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Forgot about Cincy, they could also contend

Buff
10-11-2012, 11:46 PM
I think Miami could sneak up on some people. Same goes for Cincy, but I think I like Tannehill better than Dalton, which I didn't anticipate a few weeks ago.

OrangeHoof
10-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Unless they get too beat up, I think Pittsburgh will be one of the wild card teams. The question is whether Cincy, Denver or someone else takes the other spot. It would seem (with a lot of time left for things to change), the division winners will be Houston, Baltimore, New England and San Diego.

BroncoWave
10-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Unless they get too beat up, I think Pittsburgh will be one of the wild card teams. The question is whether Cincy, Denver or someone else takes the other spot. It would seem (with a lot of time left for things to change), the division winners will be Houston, Baltimore, New England and San Diego.

I don't think San Diego is a lock by any stretch. This week will tell alot. They haven't really beaten anyone. Granted we haven't either, but we also haven't lost to a team as bad as the Saints.

Softskull
10-12-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't know. This implies that the NFC is good this year. Other than Atlanta and SF I dont see much there. I think Houston could beat Atlanta and Baltimore would be in the game with SF. I'm calling it parity.

Buff
10-12-2012, 12:23 AM
I don't know. This implies that the NFC is good this year. Other than Atlanta and SF I dont see much there. I think Houston could beat Atlanta and Baltimore would be in the game with SF. I'm calling it parity.

NFC teams are 15-6 against AFC teams this year. The gap isn't as wide at the top, but it thins out very quickly in the AFC.

Poet
10-12-2012, 01:00 AM
I think Miami could sneak up on some people. Same goes for Cincy, but I think I like Tannehill better than Dalton, which I didn't anticipate a few weeks ago.

:tsk:

Cincinnati's schedule is too tough for them to contend.

RebelRocker
10-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Seriously, looking at the teams in the AFC, we should make the playoffs by default this season. The Pats, Ravens, Texans, and Chargers are the only teams above .500 right now. I think Denver is clearly the best of the rest, but after that, who gets the other wildcard? Indy? Miami? Maybe Pitt or NY still sneaks in? It's really hard to come up with 6 playoff teams right now.

This is my playoff prediction

NFC
1.San Fransisco-14-2
2.Atlanta-13-3
3.Chicago-11-5
4.New York-10-6
5.Philadelphia-10-6
6.Arizona-9-7

The top 2 seeds seem pretty obvious, to me. GB and Detroit look like they woke up from a nasty hangover five weeks into the season and don't know how to climb out of the holes they dug themselves in. Minnesota is fools gold. They remind me a lot of our teams a few years back. Get off to a hot start against shitty teams(except San Fran), but when they play more quality teams, they will show their true colors. They'll hover around .500, but I can't see them breaking through this year. Chicago is playing great football right now and I'm not going to bet against them. I can see New York and Philly battling for the East, but it won't matter because I see both teams getting in and facing each other right off the bat in the wild card round. Arizona got exposed last week against St. Louis, but their defense and special teams have kicked ass this year. If those two sides of the ball can keep dominating while the offense "plays it safe", I think they have a good shot at sneaking in with that #6 seed.

AFC
1.Houston 13-3
2.Baltimore 12-4
3.New England 11-5
4.Denver 10-6
5.Miami 9-7
6.San Diego 8-8

The top 3 teams seem pretty obvious. After that, it looks like the winner of the West will be between us and SD, with the loser battling with 3 or 4 other teams for the two wild card spots. I could swap out the wild card teams with Cincy, Pittsburgh and maybe a few other teams like Indy, Buffalo. The teams I picked to get the wildcard spots just appear to have an easier schedule down the stretch.

Super Bowl Prediction
Houston vs. San Fransisco

21-14 Houston

Even though this thread was made under the assumption that the AFC is the inferior conference this year(and I would agree with that), I think that Houston is a more well rounded team and has enough firepower on offense to overcome San Fran's defense. I just can't see Alex Smith as a super bowl winning QB. Jim Harbaugh's gonna learn that, the hard way.

Chillez
10-12-2012, 01:48 AM
NFC clear cut best division right now. Crazy for long time AFC was stronger conference.

silkamilkamonico
10-12-2012, 08:47 AM
I think we're sitting ok with San Diego.

Looking at their schedule, they still have Denver (2x), Baltimore, and Pittsburgh.

I actually think both Denver and SD are getting in in some form or other.

RebelRocker
10-12-2012, 09:30 AM
I think we're sitting ok with San Diego.

Looking at their schedule, they still have Denver (2x), Baltimore, and Pittsburgh.

I actually think both Denver and SD are getting in in some form or other.

I agree. The division winner will get it with 10 wins and the other team will hover around 8 or 9 wins, which will be enough for a wild card spot.

Chef Zambini
10-12-2012, 09:48 AM
'parity" was going to be my one word response.

Chef Zambini
10-12-2012, 09:54 AM
NFC clear cut best division right now. Crazy for long time AFC was stronger conference.is that why MINN leadfs a division with the bears,lions and packers?
lets see how the head to head ends up before we declare the NFC the best conference.
parity, any given sunday, we saw it last year when the cheifs beat the packers.
you dont show up prepard for your opponent, you get beat, regardless of your talent.
other than the JETS, there are no cupcakes in the NFL.

NightTerror218
10-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I think it is going to be ALT and Houston in SB. They are both on some serious tears this season. ATL is very tough. Defense is improved and Ryan is at his best.

Ravage!!!
10-12-2012, 01:13 PM
I think it is going to be ALT and Houston in SB. They are both on some serious tears this season. ATL is very tough. Defense is improved and Ryan is at his best.

They are the best team right now, but how many times have we seen the teams that are the best, early, not make it to the Super Bowl? This is why I don't think these teams make it.... I'm going by odds.

NightTerror218
10-12-2012, 01:33 PM
They are the best team right now, but how many times have we seen the teams that are the best, early, not make it to the Super Bowl? This is why I don't think these teams make it.... I'm going by odds.

We have seen several times that the best teams did make it. But they are both extremely well rounded teams on offense and defense. They are not "an offensive power house" like some of the Pats teams that were the best and made it to the SB to only lose in it.

Jsteve01
10-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Houston impresses me a whole hell of a lot more than Atlanta. Better run game, probably a wash at qb and the texans defense is far better.

Buff
10-12-2012, 02:03 PM
is that why MINN leadfs a division with the bears,lions and packers?
lets see how the head to head ends up before we declare the NFC the best conference.
parity, any given sunday, we saw it last year when the cheifs beat the packers.
you dont show up prepard for your opponent, you get beat, regardless of your talent.
other than the JETS, there are no cupcakes in the NFL.

They are leading the head to head by a wide margin after 30% of the season. And I don't think you can point to a flukey upset win (KC v GB last year) as proof that there isn't a gap between conferences... If they they played 10 times, GB would be favored every time and win the majority of the games.

Yes, there is parity, but the NFC is clearly better top to bottom this year.

underrated29
10-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Why do some have the chargers ahead of us? No way they are better than we are.

Also, Matt ryan is not what he is playing like this year. You will see him come back down to earth. I had him in FF last year and watched practically every atl game. He sucked! I still one the superbowl with him but not because of him. And he had Julio and Roddy last year as well as a solid 1200 back in turner, who looks slower this year. I understand why people pick the falcons, but I do not believe it yet. I watched too many of their games last year and do not see enough change this year.

Buff
10-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Houston impresses me a whole hell of a lot more than Atlanta. Better run game, probably a wash at qb and the texans defense is far better.

I honestly didn't realize how good Arian Foster was until this year. Guy is on a different level than the rest of the backs in this league, with the exception of maybe McCoy.

Buff
10-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Why do some have the chargers ahead of us? No way they are better than we are.

Also, Matt ryan is not what he is playing like this year. You will see him come back down to earth. I had him in FF last year and watched practically every atl game. He sucked! I still one the superbowl with him but not because of him. And he had Julio and Roddy last year as well as a solid 1200 back in turner, who looks slower this year. I understand why people pick the falcons, but I do not believe it yet. I watched too many of their games last year and do not see enough change this year.

I picked SD to beat us this weekend. I have zero faith in our defense.

Jsteve01
10-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Houston for my money was the team to beat in the AFC prior to the season. It remains that way.

Joel
10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Still early; we can't be confident who's who till about halfway. I think the Texans are by far the NFLs best, the only team solid at every position (except their special teams are still embarrassing,) but looking at their four blowouts and last weekends squeaker their toughest competition so far was either the Jets or us. The Falcons are the same; 5-0 against the 'Skins, Panthers and 3 AFCW teams. Until we're far enough along to have a feel for whether the Saints went 1-4 against five playoff teams or the Texans went 5-0 against five 4-12 teams all power rankings are as much speculation as anything else.

To give you an idea, I was wondering Tuesday how good the 4-1 Vikings and 5-0 Texans really are. The AFCS plays the NFCN this year, but the Texans' first NFCN game is against the Pack Sunday; so far they've just blown out their division opponents and us then edged the Jets. Flip side, Minnesota also blew out the Titans but needed OT against the Jags and fell short against Indy, yet their SF and Detroit wins were quality games. Is either as good as their record suggests? Probably not, but it's too soon to tell from so small a sample.

underrated29
10-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I picked SD to beat us this weekend. I have zero faith in our defense.

I hope it is not for money. As we are definitely going to win this week. No doubt about it!

Buff
10-12-2012, 03:00 PM
I hope it is not for money. As we are definitely going to win this week. No doubt about it!

It is for money, but I often do this in games where it's a toss-up with the Broncos. Then if we win I'm happy to miss my pick, but if we lose I at least have the consolation of getting my pick correct.

bcbronc
10-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Has there ever been an 8-8 wildcard team? Just can't see it happening.

Buff
10-12-2012, 03:11 PM

The Seahawks got in as a 7-9 wildcard team and then knocked off the 11-5 Saints.

Edit: NM, the Seahawks won their division - which is why they got the home game.

RebelRocker
10-12-2012, 03:11 PM

There's been plenty in the past. With the parity we've seen in the NFL the last few years, the postseason is not as one sided. Our mission should be at the very least, to get into the playoffs. If you're in, anything can happen.

underrated29
10-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Take it from me buff. We are winning. Change your pick. If I am wrong never listen to me again and anytime I say anything you can tell me to **** and ****. You will win money this week and be happy.

Buff
10-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Take it from me buff. We are winning. Change your pick. If I am wrong never listen to me again and anytime I say anything you can tell me to **** and ****. You will win money this week and be happy.

Ryan Matthews looked good last week.

underrated29
10-12-2012, 03:57 PM

Yes he did. I have him in FF. He helped me win by 0.4 points.

But you know what? Peyton manning and our offense looked even better. Manning does not like to lose back to back games, nor do the broncos want to lose on two monday night showdowns. I hope/anticipate a lot of blitzing and shutting the bolts down hardcore

ShaneFalco
10-12-2012, 04:00 PM
i wonder if the Chargers will bust out some No Huddle on us.

Buff
10-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Yes he did. I have him in FF. He helped me win by 0.4 points.

But you know what? Peyton manning and our offense looked even better. Manning does not like to lose back to back games, nor do the broncos want to lose on two monday night showdowns. I hope/anticipate a lot of blitzing and shutting the bolts down hardcore

I like your optimism. I am actually physically incapable of being optimistic in life, but I admire it.

NightTerror218
10-12-2012, 04:07 PM

he is on the questionable list last time i looked.

BroncoJoe
10-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I honestly didn't realize how good Arian Foster was until this year. Guy is on a different level than the rest of the backs in this league, with the exception of maybe McCoy.

I was watching him in awe last weekend. Dude is a bonified stud.

ShaneFalco
10-12-2012, 04:18 PM
I like your optimism. I am actually physically incapable of being optimistic in life, but I admire it.

hahah why is that?

Buff
10-12-2012, 04:44 PM
hahah why is that?

Because I live a life of abject misery moving from one failure to the next. Optimism has no place in my hate-filled existence.

But, you know, other than that I am a pretty happy person.

Chef Zambini
10-12-2012, 04:58 PM
we cam bench mathews by causing a fumble early.

Joel
10-14-2012, 08:33 AM
There's been plenty in the past. With the parity we've seen in the NFL the last few years, the postseason is not as one sided. Our mission should be at the very least, to get into the playoffs. If you're in, anything can happen.
Few apples-to-apples comparisons are possible though, the NFL had no wildcards until 1978, and even since then the format has changed several times. Originally, the wildcard race was always tense and the eventual winners were almost always still quite good, because there was only one wildcard per conference: Three division winners plus the best non-division winner to round out the playoffs (there were no byes then; playoff byes are a consequence of additional wildcards in later years.)

So the real question is how many 8-8 wildcard teams there have been since 2002s realignment; the answer is three: The '04 Rams and Vikings and '06 Giants.* That's about one every three years; letting in 12/32 teams (37.5%) produces more 8-8 playoff teams than letting in 8/28 (28.6%.) Were it up to me we'd do it the old way: All division winners plus each conferences best non-division winner. If you don't win your division you must be the best team in that boat, or stay home. That would reduce Wildcard Weekend to the worst division winner vs. best non-division winner, but that worked fine in the past.

*The '04 Rams had a better conference record than the Vikings, who got the #6 seed by beating the 8-8 Saints in the regular season; the '06 Giants had a better strength of victory than the 8-8 Packers, and both had a better conference record than the 8-8 Rams and Panthers.