PDA

View Full Version : Derek Wolfe......

WARHORSE
10-09-2012, 11:12 PM
I love this dude.

He does not give up an inch in the run game even against double teams.

Hes only getting started, and with those long arms I hope he learns to bat the balls down at the LOS like Watts.

If we were running a three four, he would be a stud anywhere along the line.

Hats off to John Elway and the gang for trusting what their eyes were seeing on film.

Derek Wolfe in the second round was a great, great pick.

At least we have that to feel good about.

Now if we can only get him to drop Joe Mays on his head.

Where you at DJ?

GRRRRRRRRR!

sneakers
10-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I have not noticed him at all the last few weeks

Army Bronco
10-10-2012, 01:52 AM
I have not noticed him at all the last few weeks Yeah, i only noticed him a hand full of plays this season. Im hoping he gets to be a great player for us.

WARHORSE
10-10-2012, 04:50 AM
Stud, all the way.

In the end, hes going to make himself known more and more.

SR
10-10-2012, 05:09 AM
I only see him once in a while during the game. As someone else said here recently, he disappears once the ball is snapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Joel
10-10-2012, 06:23 AM
I doubt he'd be a great 3-4 NT at a svelte 6'5" 295, but he looks like he'll be a good 4-3 NT. We need a dominating one to stuff runs and demand doubles, so I hope so. Our other guys are more quickness and agility than smash-mouth football; swim moves and stunts to evade blockers rather than size and strength to flatten them. We need a guy to plug a hole and take down runners; we just don't have one. Warren was going to be that guy, and looked good early, but since his season's over it's a moot point now except insofar as we have no one to take his place. Wolfe's still hit-and-miss, but will hopefully be that guy eventually.

Northman
10-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Where you at DJ?

GRRRRRRRRR!

I think i saw him out back trying to get a urine sample from a dalmation.

TXBRONC
10-10-2012, 08:20 AM

Funny stuff. :lol:

I am disappointed in how dumb he was to get in so much trouble because it's hurting the defense.

Some people thought D.J. wasn't worth a flip unfortunately they're finding out the hard way he's a better player than they gave him credit for.

Northman
10-10-2012, 08:48 AM
He is a good tackler but not a playmaker. So while he is better than Mays he clearly is too stupid to keep himself out of trouble so its basically a wash.

Joel
10-10-2012, 11:14 AM
He is a good tackler but not a playmaker. So while he is better than Mays he clearly is too stupid to keep himself out of trouble so its basically a wash.
Odd; people used to say he had a great nose for the ball but backs carried him five yards downfield. Which is one big reason I don't see him replacing Mays when he returns, but he's always been a fine player as long as we're content to let him play Will (or 3-4 ILB) like he was born to do instead of expecting things for which his body isn't designed.

Sadly, I think we may be near the end with DJ, though I hope not. The two times players are most likely to juice are:

1) At the start of their career when their bodies are still developing and they need an edge to compete with more skilled and/or physically talented players or
2) At the end of their career when their bodies are starting to go and Vitamin X slows the breakdown so they can hang on a little longer.

DJ plays a speed position, and turned 30 in July....

Chef Zambini
10-10-2012, 12:00 PM
like getting gas from another car?
hey DJ, try petting him first.

G_Money
10-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Wolfe has loads of potential, a good motor, he's bulked up his frame and we'll see how he carries it through the season. He's okay against the run (Doom is the one getting destroyed on the edge...again...) and keeps pushing upfield. I like Wolfe, but I don't think I'd call him a monster yet. He still looks to me like a 3-4 DE, but maybe that's because the Broncos have been using midget DL forever and my perspective's off.

I think in a Wade Phillips defense he would grow to be great, so I hope he can be great here. Defensive line takes time to grow into and very few rookies show up and dominate along it - Wolfe will be around a while. He's a keeper.

We just need more guys who are keepers on the DL, and we can't afford to draft all of em. And this 2012 draft class isn't exactly the Cutler/Sheffler/Doom/Marshall/Kuper class. Hell, Hixon was in that draft class and is a world champion. This draft was full of backups when we needed starters. We need a lot of these guys to grow, not just Wolfe. Being the best pick in this draft for us isn't saying a lot at this point.

But I'd still rather Wolfe be a starter with some success, which he has been. Good for him... but we need his level of performance to be 3rd or 4th best among next year's picks if we're gonna take full advantage of Peyton next season.

~G

BroncoNut
10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
you can swing from this ballsack all day War, but I'm not sold on this kid just yet

Locnar
10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
We're not even half way into the season yet. And 3 of the teams we've gone against are top offenses in the league. I don't expect a rookie to make a huge impact this early in the season unless he's top 5 draft pick..

NightTerror218
10-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Ty Warren better be using his spare time to help this kid out

BroncoNut
10-10-2012, 01:01 PM
We're not even half way into the season yet. And 3 of the teams we've gone against are top offenses in the league. I don't expect a rookie to make a huge impact this early in the season unless he's top 5 draft pick..

well according to War one has

Superchop 7
10-10-2012, 07:26 PM
I was crunching some numbers last night using veteran rosters.

What stood out was this.

If you need a cb you had better draft high....rd 3 or later the odds are long.

DT had a lot of 1st and 3rd rounders...

The teams that invest in the interior of their line usually trend up....playing with 11 beats the hell out of playing with 9.

Since 08 till neck injury.....Manning was 74.4% on passes traveling 15 yards and longer.

He is historically deadly on 3rd down.

In 06 he was converting 56%......last year Broncos were at 30% on 3rd downs.

Dzone
10-11-2012, 10:28 AM
It is obvious at this point that Wolfe is a bust. He couldnt carry JJ Watts jock strap

SR
10-11-2012, 10:43 AM
It is obvious at this point that Wolfe is a bust. He couldnt carry JJ Watts jock strap

Way too early to draw that conclusion

Dzone
10-11-2012, 10:47 AM

Red on this site means sarcasm. I didnt mean a word of it. I was just ******* around. Hell, Derek Wolfe is badass and going to keep getting better.

SR
10-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Red on this site means sarcasm. I didnt mean a word of it. I was just ******* around. Hell, Derek Wolfe is badass and going to keep getting better.

Oh. I was unaware that red meant sarcasm on this website that I've been apart of for five years. Silly me. I usually just roll with the "/sarcasm" thing.

BroncoNut
10-11-2012, 11:00 AM

way too early. plus I'm sure he could carry Watt's Jock strap with little to no effort

SR
10-11-2012, 11:03 AM
way too early. plus I'm sure he could carry Watt's Jock strap with little to no effort

I don't know nut, JJ is a big boy...

Chef Zambini
10-11-2012, 11:07 AM
seeing red,
your moniker would imply that you have a sarcastic perspective for everything posted in this forum,
perhaps that is why the actual red post looked just like every other post around here.
I am not an opthomolgist, but I play one on the radio.

Chef Zambini
10-11-2012, 11:10 AM
to be honest, I find the concept of one man having any kind of involvement with another man's jock-strap, very disturbing.
Unles you do the team laundry, another mans jock should not be the pre-occupation of another.

Dzone
10-11-2012, 11:32 AM
to be honest, I find the concept of one man having any kind of involvement with another man's jock-strap, very disturbing.
Unles you do the team laundry, another mans jock should not be the pre-occupation of another.
LOL...

I assumed red font meant sarcasm on here. If I was wrong, my humble apologies to Wolfeman for saying who couldnt carry someones athletic supporter

vandammage13
10-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Wolfe is a beast...good pick by Elway.

Think he'll come on stronger as the year progresses.

I don't think he's JJ Watt..but I see his ceiling as someone like a Trace Armstrong (a productive, consistent lineman...borderline probowler)

He'll be a stalwart on the line for the next 7-8 years.

NightTerror218
10-11-2012, 11:33 AM
I want to see Wolfe kill Rivers this Monday. If they double team Miller/Doom he should have good chance to get to Rivers. Rivers OL is bad.

vandammage13
10-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I want to see Wolfe kill Rivers this Monday. If they double team Miller/Doom he should have good chance to get to Rivers. Rivers OL is bad.

Wolfe Von Doom!!...A combo that will be terrorizing QB's for years to come.

NightTerror218
10-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Wolfe Von Doom!!...A combo that will be terrorizing QB's for years to come.

does Wolfe have a sack dance? Could he do a "River dance" after sacking rivers?

http://youtu.be/Cujri54RPKw

Dzone
10-11-2012, 11:56 AM
If Wolfe does a sack dance, I hope its when we are winning and not behind 42-0 ala cam newton

slim
10-11-2012, 01:35 PM
If Wolfe does a sack dance, I hope its when we are winning and not behind 42-0 ala cam newton

I have never seen Cam Newton do a sack dance.

Jsteve01
10-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Wolfe is a beast...good pick by Elway.

Think he'll come on stronger as the year progresses.

I don't think he's JJ Watt..but I see his ceiling as someone like a Trace Armstrong (a productive, consistent lineman...borderline probowler)

He'll be a stalwart on the line for the next 7-8 years. he's definitely not the athlete that Watt is. But he has different responsibilities than Watt as well. Much more of a poa Guy in this defense than Watt is in phillips penetrating 3-4.

Chillez
10-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Wolfe has played solid so far. Sky is the limit for him, he's only a rookie plenty of time for him to improve.

WARHORSE
10-12-2012, 03:14 AM
well according to War one has

Relax. All I said was I like the dude, and that stands.

For him to be starting as a rookie speaks volumes.

That doesnt mean Im annointing him a messiah.

The dude can anchor, and that has great value in this league. The fact that he can do it at this point of his career is a plus for us. As he gets stronger and gets more experience, he has the potential to be very good.

Thats all War said.

And he has made an impact. Its just not the kind that makes the front page of the Denver Post all that often.

Chef Zambini
10-12-2012, 09:58 AM
If Wolfe does a sack dance, I hope its when we are winning and not behind 42-0 ala cam newtonI understand and appreciate your point.
CAM doing his superman thing when he team is behind and destined for a LOSS was frankly, retarded and self-centered bullcrap !

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
10-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Good to see this guy show up when we needed him last night

NightTerror218
10-16-2012, 04:17 PM
I understand and appreciate your point.
CAM doing his superman thing when he team is behind and destined for a LOSS was frankly, retarded and self-centered bullcrap !

some of our players still do the mile high salute even when we are down after a TD

Locnar
10-16-2012, 07:42 PM
I think if he gets a good full season behind his belt, he will help Doom and Von get a lot of sacks.

NightTerror218
10-16-2012, 07:43 PM
I think if he gets a good full season behind his belt, he will help Doom and Von get a lot of sacks.

I hope he has Watt potential

muse
10-17-2012, 04:48 AM
I hope he has Watt potential

I think he may turn out like Trevor Pryce - useful up and down the line, good pass rusher, stout against the run. His pass rushing still needs some work though - I think all of his sacks have been coverage sacks so far (although they come because his motor never stops). Either way, he's been solid for a rook, hopefully he can develop week in and week out.

MOtorboat
10-17-2012, 08:50 AM
I think he may turn out like Trevor Pryce - useful up and down the line, good pass rusher, stout against the run. His pass rushing still needs some work though - I think all of his sacks have been coverage sacks so far (although they come because his motor never stops). Either way, he's been solid for a rook, hopefully he can develop week in and week out.

I think the Trevor Pryce comparison might be a good one, though in his younger years, didn't Pryce strictly come off the edge?

That said, he may not be getting a monster amount of sacks, but he's on pace for 8-10, which is outstanding. Plus, he's getting pressure up the middle, which doesn't allow a quarterback to step into a throwing lane, which is almost as important as a sack, but obviously less measurable. We haven't had an inside push like this since Pryce. It's awesome.

G_Money
10-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Pryce would be a nice upside. He looks like a heavier Vanden Bosch to me, which lets him play more inside. I'm enjoying having him. We need another one like him.

~G

NightTerror218
10-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Pryce would be a nice upside. He looks like a heavier Vanden Bosch to me, which lets him play more inside. I'm enjoying having him. We need another one like him.

~G

I would take a slightly heaver version to be next to him to be NT.

WARHORSE
10-18-2012, 06:13 PM
If he plays like Trevor Pryce....we sure scored in round 2 of the draft.

The fact that he plays all along the Dline and STARTS as a rookie speaks volumes.

And its not just because we dont have anyone with better experience, we all know Ayers is on the bench.

Starting in the dline rotation as a rookie is a feat worthy of mention and of nodding approval.

That doesnt announce him as an all pro, or even a future pro bowler.

Its just saying its nice to see the kid contribute.'

As for getting owned by double teams, I dont know who is watching what games, but it helps to know Del Rios scheme.

The dline plays the run first all day.

Wolfe does not give an inch while holding the point against double teams. Sure he may be finding it difficult to disengage sometimes, but that will come for this guy cause hes naturally strong and a beast.

When everyone thinks Doom and Von disappear during games, it isnt because they all of a sudden lost their touch. Its because not breaking containment is the first of their responsibilities when getting upfield in Del Rios defense.

You saw alot of film in the first half showing Doom seemingly getting owned by the LT on his bullrushes. Fact is, Doom is doing what hes told. You didnt see him hook the rookie until after we got the lead.

Youre going to know it when Von and Doom get the greenlight to pin their ears back. Its going to look far different than them simply bullrushing upfield.

I think its the same for Wolfe in alot of these situations. Hes doing what hes told.

At the same time I agree with the negs that have been mentioned. Yes, at times he looks super slow off the line, and his first step doesnt seem to always be there.

But this kid is playing ALOT of snaps and I believe in many situations hes just dog tired. But even then, once he gets moving he doesnt relent.

He will grow accustomed to how he should pace himself and play more effectively down the line.

He also will get stronger, and I dont see him anywhere near his ceiling yet which means hes going to improve.

I love the kid.

Im not cheering for anyone more than him right now on the field other than Manning.

B R O N C O S!!!