PDA

View Full Version : How the Manning offense will attack defenses

MOtorboat
10-09-2012, 09:03 PM
I know I'm going to get slammed for this, because I'm the first nerd to do it, but this is how Manning plans to attack defenses.

This is a simplistic look, but it's not all that surprising that Manning doesn't rely on complexity, he relies on executing a play perfectly, much as old-school coaches would talk about running the veer over and over and over.

There are two plays I'll diagram, both from the first drive of the game for the Broncos. The first is an 11-yard first-down completion to Jacob Tamme. The second is the bomb to Thomas (please forget that he fumbled the football).

First, Denver sets up with a tight end in the backfield, one receiver to Manning's right and two receivers to Manning's left. The two outside receivers run gos, except the receiver to Manning's right runs a deep, deep comeback. The tight end and the slot receiver run crosses towards Manning's right.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/Diagram1.jpg

That's the first down to Tamme coming out of the backfield. The WLB for New England blitzes, and the SLB for New England backs into a zone, leaving Tamme wide open after Decker runs the cornerback out of the frame. In this case, the safeties stay disciplined in covering the deep routes, which also leaves Tamme open underneath.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/Diagram2.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/Diagram3.jpg

Come back several plays later. Manning reverses the formation, with Tamme to his left, the slot receiver on the right, and both run crosses to Manning's left. Likewise, Thomas runs the deep post, while Decker runs the deep, deep sideline comeback. This is the exact mirror image of the play run earlier in the drive.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/Diagram4.jpg

This time, the safeties bite.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/Diagram5.jpg

And Thomas crosses the corners face and races towards the endzone.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/Diagram6.jpg

Exactly what Manning wanted.

Except Thomas fumbled. And I cried.

Well, slam away. I'm a nerd, yada, yada...

BroncoJoe
10-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Nerd.

What would aTebow have done? Yes, I went there.. :)

MOtorboat
10-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Nerd.

What would aTebow have done? Yes, I went there.. :)

Shat all over himself in the pocket and thrown the short out five yards too short to Tamme resulting in a punt.

:wave:

Dapper Dan
10-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Because Tebow never tried a deep throw. Right.

You had a lot of good points in your original post. Was that the SLB that was caught out of position trying to get to Tamme on the first play?

MOtorboat
10-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Because Tebow never tried a deep throw. Right.

You had a lot of good points in your original post. Was that the SLB that was caught out of position trying to get to Tamme on the first play?

No. I don't think he was out of position. He was playing a mid-zone, which I believe, was asking the linebacker to play from seam to out, which means drop back, watch the seam route and then react towards the sideline. Giving that up early isn't a problem to a defense. I think the "mistake" was with the two safeties in coverage on both plays. They looked confused if you watch the video on both plays. Especially on the second.

Too bad Thomas fumbled the damn ball.

(I'm not sure if the blitzing linebacker was the SLB, or the linebacker in the zone was the SLB, because Denver did have a blocking tight end on the play. My guess is that it technically was the WLB dropping into the zone)

Dapper Dan
10-09-2012, 09:27 PM
No. I don't think he was out of position. He was playing a mid-zone, which I believe, was asking the linebacker to play from seam to out, which means drop back, watch the seam route and then react towards the sideline. Giving that up early isn't a problem to a defense. I think the "mistake" was with the two safeties in coverage on both plays. They looked confused if you watch the video on both plays. Especially on the second.

Too bad Thomas fumbled the damn ball.

(I'm not sure if the blitzing linebacker was the SLB, or the linebacker in the zone was the SLB, because Denver did have a blocking tight end on the play. My guess is that it technically was the WLB dropping into the zone)

If either of them come off of Thomas to cover Tamme, wouldn't that open up either the inside or outside?

MOtorboat
10-09-2012, 09:32 PM
If either of them come off of Thomas to cover Tamme, wouldn't that open up either the inside or outside?

Bingo.

Dapper Dan
10-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Bingo.

Lol. Aaaand that's what happen on the second play.

Good post. I like it. I like the concept. Simple play with perfect execution. Also simply mirroring the same play.

Joel
10-10-2012, 06:15 AM
Well, that's offense. The whole idea is any given formation lets us run multiple plays and, on passes, each such play gives the QB multiple targets, so the D can never cover everything: There's always a hole through which the offense can slip for a first/touchdown. Defense is thus much harder than offense, especially since the rules give offenses most advantages.

There's more to running a pro offense than just practicing option plays until you can do them in your sleep though (that said, part of our problem is Decker and Thomas are not exactly experienced route runners.) Bear in mind that NEs D has been awful for several years now. Their secondary never filled the hole Asante Samuel left in his wake, and their run D is so bad we put 250 yds on them in three quarters last December. Good defenses leave very few holes, and close them very quickly, so perfect execution is critical to exploit what will never be more than a narrow brief opportunity. That's why Manning is infamous for calling guys out in practice: You have to do it right EVERY TIME, because good teams won't give you many second chances, and if you blow a route on a timing pattern it might be a TD for the wrong team.

Ravage!!!
10-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Which is why Manning has been HUGE for this team.

NightTerror218
10-10-2012, 12:20 PM
but about his arm strength?

bull chit, his arm is fine

Joel
10-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Which is why Manning has been HUGE for this team.
Or will be; they clearly aren't there yet or we'd have started Sundays game up 7-0. They do it right SOMETIMES, but sometimes isn't good enough to beat elite teams. I don't expect consistency before Halloween, at the earliest, and will still be chewing my nails down to my elbows over Beadles and Franklin in pass protection (they've been pretty good so far, but need to work on not letting guys through on runs.)

Thing is though, we HAVE coaches, and aren't paying Manning to do McCoys job. Speaking of which, I don't get why everyone's always gushing about how accomplished and versatile McCoy's been in three different offenses. That guy's got the easiest job in the world: First he was relaying plays the boy-genius OC wrote and called, then he was calling plays Tebow memorized for Urban Meyer, and now he's doing the same the rest of us are: Watching Peyton Manning direct an offense he designed and tried to teach to our players.

G_Money
10-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I don't think ANYbody on this board has been praising McCoy. The offense works when Manning is doing what he wants, and when the personnel substitutions aren't idiotic for the situation. Whatever parts of the offense are McCoy's sure look like the parts of the offense that irritate me.

I agree, though: Manning will be huge for this team going forward. Right now we're a bit out of sync still, and trying to get crisp on every play instead of just a few plays a game. We need to win a couple of games anyway. This weekend would be a nice start.

~G

BroncoNut
10-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I stopped at TE in the backfield. this is just crazy Mo. get a life loser

Chef Zambini
10-12-2012, 10:34 AM
MO, you are adorable.

Buff
10-12-2012, 11:13 AM
What is this I don't even...

ShaneFalco
10-12-2012, 04:17 PM