PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller Says Defense Needs To Play Better On 3rd Downs

Denver Native (Carol)
10-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Von was on with Vic tonight on Xfinity Live.

On link, you can read/listen to what he said about 3rd downs, and at bottom of article, there is a place you can click to see all segments of the show tonight.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/08/von-miller-says-defense-needs-to-play-better-on-3rd-downs/

Krugan
10-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Well, at least someone in the orginization sees the issue :)

Thnikkaman
10-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Thnikkaman says, "No Shit Von"

MOtorboat
10-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Thnikkaman says, "No Shit Von"

I think Von was, probably not consciously, throwing someone under the bus. I don't know for sure who was responsible for the running back in the scheme, maybe New England caught Denver in some sort of zone, where the linebackers were checking down seem routes from tight ends to flat routes from running backs, and just missed their key on the draw, but the middle linebacker and strong safety should have been responsible for that, I would imagine.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-08-2012, 09:56 PM
I think Von was, probably not consciously, throwing someone under the bus. I don't know for sure who was responsible for the running back in the scheme, maybe New England caught Denver in some sort of zone, where the linebackers were checking down seem routes from tight ends to flat routes from running backs, and just missed their key on the draw, but the middle linebacker and strong safety should have been responsible for that, I would imagine.

This is what Lindsay said yeterday:

Lindsay Jones ‏@PostBroncos

@lancesalyers It's where they really miss DJ Williams. DJ is a three-down linebacker. Mays would normally be out in that situation.

Guess we can all say - thanks DJ

MOtorboat
10-08-2012, 09:59 PM

@lancesalyers It's where they really miss DJ Williams. DJ is a three-down linebacker. Mays would normally be out in that situation.

Oh yeah. There's no doubt about it. Williams is a whole lot better on the field than a lot of people want to admit.

Dapper Dan
10-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Oh yeah. There's no doubt about it. Williams is a whole lot better on the field than a lot of people want to admit.

He's like a nice car with no battery. Yeah, it's nice and all. It's awesome when it runs. But it really don't matter when you can't start it.

Hopefully no one is doubting how badly we need him on the field. He's good when he plays.

Krugan
10-08-2012, 10:04 PM

There is no doubt he makes a difference, but when is enough, enough?

At some point, not matter the talent, you gotta cut ties with a problem.

MOtorboat
10-08-2012, 10:08 PM
There is no doubt he makes a difference, but when is enough, enough?

At some point, not matter the talent, you gotta cut ties with a problem.

I'd fire Mays too.

I get it. People hate the suspension. I hate the suspension too. I hate the multiple DUIs and the general idiocy.

But he's a top-flight linebacker. :whoknows:

What I really hate is thinking about the teams lining up to employ him when, or if, Denver cuts him. That's what I hate thinking about.

Dapper Dan
10-08-2012, 10:11 PM
I'd fire Mays too.

I get it. People hate the suspension. I hate the suspension too. I hate the multiple DUIs and the general idiocy.

What I really hate is thinking about the teams lining up to employ him when, or if, Denver cuts him. That's what I hate thinking about.

I wouldn't cut him at all. I'd trade him, or keep him. We're in no position to cut anyone with talent.

MOtorboat
10-08-2012, 10:13 PM
I wouldn't cut him at all. I'd trade him, or keep him. We're in no position to cut anyone with talent.

You're not going to get much out of him via trade, so you have to keep him. (Plus, he can't be traded til after the season, because his suspension runs past the trade deadline).

Dapper Dan
10-08-2012, 10:15 PM
You're not going to get much out of him via trade, so you have to keep him. (Plus, he can't be traded til after the season, because his suspension runs past the trade deadline).

I know, I was looking at the offseason. In an ideal situation he comes back and plays well after the suspension. I'd be happy with getting a fourth rounder.

Dapper Dan
10-08-2012, 10:16 PM

The biggest issue, in my opinion, might be his $6 million for next year and if a team still wants to trade for him.

MOtorboat
10-08-2012, 10:17 PM
I know, I was looking at the offseason. In an ideal situation he comes back and plays well after the suspension. I'd be happy with getting a fourth rounder.

I wouldn't. You can't find a linebacker as good as he is with a fourth rounder. That's just cutting bait, to cut bait, and I don't like that.

Dapper Dan
10-08-2012, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't. You can't find a linebacker as good as he is with a fourth rounder. That's just cutting bait, to cut bait, and I don't like that.

Take a chance drafting a player in the fourth or take a chance and keep DJ for one more season, not knowing if he will even play any of the games.

MOtorboat
10-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Take a chance drafting a player in the fourth or take a chance and keep DJ for one more season, not knowing if he will even play any of the games.

How many games has Nate Irving started (3rd rounder)? Mike Mohamed (6th and cut)? Spencer Larson (6th and moved to offense)?

I take my chances with a starter. Even if you do lose him for a few games.

Dapper Dan
10-08-2012, 10:27 PM
How many games has Nate Irving started (3rd rounder)? Mike Mohamed (6th and cut)? Spencer Larson (6th and moved to offense)?

I take my chances with a starter. Even if you do lose him for a few games.

I'll agree that we disagree.

ShaneFalco
10-08-2012, 11:53 PM

um then what happened last year in the playoffs when DJ was playing? Defense still got torched.

Chef Zambini
10-09-2012, 03:14 AM
I'd fire Mays too.

What I really hate is thinking about the teams lining up to employ him when, or if, Denver cuts him. That's what I hate thinking about.I hate that the broncos damn well knew that Dj was going to miss half the season and they didnt do squat about it!

BroncoNut
10-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Von Miller for president

Northman
10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Gee Von, you think?

Northman
10-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Trade DJ for Ridley.

Denver gets another decent RB to spell McGahee and Hillman. Pats get a LB for depth purposes.

Dapper Dan
10-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Trade DJ for Ridley.

Denver gets another decent RB to spell McGahee and Hillman. Pats get a LB for depth purposes.

I don't trust any player that has played with the Pats. Their post-Patriots success rate is not very good.

MOtorboat
10-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Trade DJ for Ridley.

I would not do that trade if I were Belichek.

Chef Zambini
10-09-2012, 11:05 AM
FG kicker

NightTerror218
10-09-2012, 11:12 AM

I would say as of right now keeping him for next season has no issues, he has no upcoming legal issues or any problems. If he had pending legal issues or pending suspensions that would be one thing. That last line is a little far fetched and broad assumption.

But figure he has had 3 problems (2 in one year) in what, 9 years. not to mention I bet he hates that he is not getting paid for half the season. I know he is an idiot that may not learn, but it something for him to think about.

Buff
10-09-2012, 11:28 AM
It sort of feels like our defense is in denial about how truly bad they've looked. Derek Wolfe giving himself a "B" for his performance against the Pats. Champ saying they've closed the gap. Von singling out 3rd downs only.

Hey guys, you are bad across the board, figure it out.

Northman
10-09-2012, 11:36 AM
I would not do that trade if I were Belichek.

Oh, i doubt he would either. But with Bolden behind Ridley i think it would be a fair trade off. But, just me throwing shit in the wind.

TXBRONC
10-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Over the last few years there have been a lot of people wanting to replace him with Woodyard. They got their wish but it doesn't appear to be working that well. I like Woodyard and he adds ggood depth but Williams is still a better linebacker.Woodyard is better suited to nickle packages and special teams.

broncofaninfla
10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
I agree with Von BUT he isn't without blame himself. Teams have been able to use his agression against him at times but even with that, he's still the best we've got and arguably one of the best in the league at sacking the QB. I never thought I'd be happy for DJ to come back but after 5 games it's obvious Denver does not have a viable option at to back up DJ and don't even get me started at MLB. Mays is awful, not quite Nate Webster bad but not far off. Brooking is a better option there IMO but can't stay healthy. Linebacker is clearly the weakest position on this team right now and odds are it won't be addressed until next season.

MOtorboat
10-09-2012, 12:21 PM
I agree with Von BUT he isn't without blame himself. Teams have been able to use his agression against him at times but even with that, he's still the best we've got and arguably one of the best in the league at sacking the QB. I never thought I'd be happy for DJ to come back but after 5 games it's obvious Denver does not have a viable option at to back up DJ and don't even get me started at MLB. Mays is awful, not quite Nate Webster bad but not far off. Brooking is a better option there IMO but can't stay healthy. Linebacker is clearly the weakest position on this team right now and odds are it won't be addressed until next season.

Didn't Von single-handedly stop a third and goal forcing a FG?

I know its one play, but I just think he's doing about all he can. I'm a little frustrated that Del Rio isn't unleashing him on opposing offensive line more, but that was to be expected with his fairly straight up scheme.

broncofaninfla
10-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Didn't Von single-handedly stop a third and goal forcing a FG?

I know its one play, but I just think he's doing about all he can. I'm a little frustrated that Del Rio isn't unleashing him on opposing offensive line more, but that was to be expected with his fairly straight up scheme.

Von had quite a few good plays yesterday, in fact I'd say he had a damn good game but he over pursued on a couple as well. The kid is a stud though and I'm dam glad to have him. In fact I wore my "58" away jersey yesterday. :)

Dapper Dan
10-09-2012, 02:08 PM
I would say as of right now keeping him for next season has no issues, he has no upcoming legal issues or any problems. If he had pending legal issues or pending suspensions that would be one thing. That last line is a little far fetched and broad assumption.

But figure he has had 3 problems (2 in one year) in what, 9 years. not to mention I bet he hates that he is not getting paid for half the season. I know he is an idiot that may not learn, but it something for him to think about.

Difference of opinion. I have no faith in his ability to grow up and change. It rarely happens.

NightTerror218
10-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Difference of opinion. I have no faith in his ability to grow up and change. It rarely happens.

money talks and when you are not getting paid, things can change.

Dapper Dan
10-09-2012, 02:11 PM
money talks and when you are not getting paid, things can change.

You may be right. He IS all about that Dyme Lyfe.

slim
10-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Hmmm....play better on third down?

Some deep thinking right there.

slim
10-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Mays sucks.

Joel
10-10-2012, 05:33 AM
um then what happened last year in the playoffs when DJ was playing? Defense still got torched.
Last year we didn't have Adams and Leonhard at safety, or Porter opposite Champ. Harris is better this year, too. My biggest question is why we signed Leonhard but keep starting Moore despite his awful play.

As to Vons comments, if he had as good an eye for everything else as he does for the obvious he wouldn't need glasses. ;) Speaking of which, does anyone know if he wears goggles or contacts for games? I ask because, as someone with awful vision, I know first hand that glasses/goggles can greatly impair depth perception in a way contacts don't. That's a big issue when trying to snag a pass.

ShaneFalco
10-10-2012, 05:58 AM
i believe he uses contacts

Joel
10-10-2012, 06:24 AM
i believe he uses contacts
Ah, good; thanks.