PDA

View Full Version : Orton responds with best practice of training camp

Lonestar
08-10-2009, 03:19 AM
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/10/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Kyle Orton (Denver Post file photo)Related

Broncos' Moreno now playing catch-upDove Valley Days: Bailey picks a pairNobody booed Kyle Orton on Sunday.

During a 7-on-7 pass coverage drill early in the Broncos' practice at training camp, Orton threw a ball 40 yards until it landed perfectly in Brandon Stokley's hands, much to the dismay of cornerback Jack Williams.

Later, during a full-team controlled scrimmage, Orton threw touchdown passes on four consecutive plays — to Daniel Graham down the right seam, Jabar Gaffney in the back of the end zone, Gaffney again on a touch pass just inside the goal line and Eddie Royal on a hook pattern.

Orton then zipped completions to Stokley and Tony Scheffler during the practice-ending, two- minute drill.

It was Orton's best practice as a Bronco. you start seeing improvement on the field like that and you start clicking with your receivers, it makes it fun to get out here and get back to work," Orton said.
As the architect of the Broncos' new offensive system, coach Josh McDaniels is more critical than most. But even he smiled when asked about Orton's performance.

"There's still some things early in practice I wish we would have done better," McDaniels said. "But Kyle feels comfortable in this offense, and there's a lot of things that he does that will help our team win."

Stokley stoked.

Stokley has the hands, quickness and instincts of a prototype slot receiver. But does he have the durability?

In the past two seasons, McDaniels' offense completed an NFL-high 223 passes to New Eng- land slot receiver Wes Welker.

That's a daunting workload for a receiver like Stokley, who caught 89 passes the past two seasons with the Broncos but missed a combined six games because of injuries and who recently turned 33.

"I haven't thought about it too much, but two years ago when I came here off the (torn) Achilles, I never thought I would start and play regularly," Stokley said. "I think I can play a lot of plays and take the grind of the season.

Tight end Richard Quinn knocks outside linebacker Robert Ayers' helmet off during a collision of rookies at Broncos training camp Sunday. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )"I worked hard in the offseason and I'm ready to go, man. I'm ready to play football."

Injury report.

Two players running with the first team, running back LaMont Jordan and defensive end Kenny Peterson, did not participate in the 11-on-11 controlled scrimmages because of injuries.

Outside linebacker Wesley Woodyard, who has been struggling to overcome a knee injury, joined wide receiver Brandon Marshall (hip) and safety Brian Dawkins (broken hand) inside the Broncos' facility while the rest of the team practiced.

Footnotes.

Bob LaMonte, otherwise known as the "Agent of the Coaches," attended practice Sunday. LaMonte represents the Broncos' head coach (McDaniels), offensive coordinator (Mike McCoy) and defensive coordinator (Mike Nolan). Otherwise, LaMonte didn't have an impact on the Broncos' new coaching staff. . . . Rookie safety David Bruton, a fourth-round pick, continues to replace the injured Dawkins on the first-team base defense.

WARHORSE
08-10-2009, 05:20 AM
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/10/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Kyle Orton (Denver Post file photo)Related

Broncos' Moreno now playing catch-upDove Valley Days: Bailey picks a pairNobody booed Kyle Orton on Sunday.

During a 7-on-7 pass coverage drill early in the Broncos' practice at training camp, Orton threw a ball 40 yards until it landed perfectly in Brandon Stokley's hands, much to the dismay of cornerback Jack Williams.

Later, during a full-team controlled scrimmage, Orton threw touchdown passes on four consecutive plays — to Daniel Graham down the right seam, Jabar Gaffney in the back of the end zone, Gaffney again on a touch pass just inside the goal line and Eddie Royal on a hook pattern.

Orton then zipped completions to Stokley and Tony Scheffler during the practice-ending, two- minute drill.

It was Orton's best practice as a Bronco. you start seeing improvement on the field like that and you start clicking with your receivers, it makes it fun to get out here and get back to work," Orton said.
As the architect of the Broncos' new offensive system, coach Josh McDaniels is more critical than most. But even he smiled when asked about Orton's performance.

"There's still some things early in practice I wish we would have done better," McDaniels said. "But Kyle feels comfortable in this offense, and there's a lot of things that he does that will help our team win."

Stokley stoked.

Stokley has the hands, quickness and instincts of a prototype slot receiver. But does he have the durability?

In the past two seasons, McDaniels' offense completed an NFL-high 223 passes to New Eng- land slot receiver Wes Welker.

That's a daunting workload for a receiver like Stokley, who caught 89 passes the past two seasons with the Broncos but missed a combined six games because of injuries and who recently turned 33.

"I haven't thought about it too much, but two years ago when I came here off the (torn) Achilles, I never thought I would start and play regularly," Stokley said. "I think I can play a lot of plays and take the grind of the season.

Tight end Richard Quinn knocks outside linebacker Robert Ayers' helmet off during a collision of rookies at Broncos training camp Sunday. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )"I worked hard in the offseason and I'm ready to go, man. I'm ready to play football."

Injury report.

Two players running with the first team, running back LaMont Jordan and defensive end Kenny Peterson, did not participate in the 11-on-11 controlled scrimmages because of injuries.

Outside linebacker Wesley Woodyard, who has been struggling to overcome a knee injury, joined wide receiver Brandon Marshall (hip) and safety Brian Dawkins (broken hand) inside the Broncos' facility while the rest of the team practiced.

Footnotes.

Bob LaMonte, otherwise known as the "Agent of the Coaches," attended practice Sunday. LaMonte represents the Broncos' head coach (McDaniels), offensive coordinator (Mike McCoy) and defensive coordinator (Mike Nolan). Otherwise, LaMonte didn't have an impact on the Broncos' new coaching staff. . . . Rookie safety David Bruton, a fourth-round pick, continues to replace the injured Dawkins on the first-team base defense.

Im drinkin the Kool-:coffee:aid.

Dirk
08-10-2009, 05:26 AM
Just get the season started already.....

just sayin