PDA

View Full Version : Denver's Newest Weapon

Denver Native (Carol)
08-09-2009, 09:31 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9213

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When the Broncos tabbed Knowshon Moreno as their top pick and the top running back selected in the 2009 NFL Draft, his skill set was cited as one of his greatest strengths.

Signed and in pads at his first pro training camp practice on Sunday, Moreno and his skill set were both in attendance.

In anticipation of that first whistle at Dove Valley, the rookie was admittedly nervous. Once that whistle blew, his feelings were replaced by football.

"I felt sick to my stomach a little bit there before practice," Moreno said. "But after I got the juices flowing, it was just practice."

Head Coach Josh McDaniels wasted little time in incorporating Moreno into the team's scheme, throwing the rookie into reps with running backs Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan. Moreno also got a dose of the speed of a pro defender, squaring off in a 1-on-1 tackling drill with D.J. Williams.

The results were far from disappointing.

"I thought I needed some contact getting out here for the first day," Moreno said. "I got that."

Moreno got to show the coaching staff his full arsenal of skills. In that drill with Williams, McDaniels noted his quickness and ability to catch the ball. The big picture from April's draft was beginning to take shape.

"(The defense) had a hard time tackling him in the tackling drill," McDaniels said. "He can run between the tackles (or) run outside. He is what we thought he was when we drafted him.

Moreno also got the chance to gauge his workload for the forthcoming weeks. He spent most of the first week of training camp working out in Georgia with his college teammates, filling the time with plenty of running, while getting adjusted to the heat.

Now, Moreno is readjusting himself to the heat and the altitude. So far, the process has been a smooth one.

"Missing those days hurt, not being here," Moreno said. "But at the same time, I'm in that playbook. I'm getting here early with the coach and I'm studying again. So it's all going well right now."

After one practice, Moreno already has an idea of what he adds to the offensive equation for the Broncos, citing his energy, passion for the game, and ability to compete. As for anything else, the rookie thinks those elements will begin to take shape when the team faces the 49ers on Friday.

"That's all we can do right now since it's so early," Moreno said. "The rest will fall into place."

That positive attitude is an extension of the confidence McDaniels has in the newest member on his roster. With Moreno's smarts, he has few qualms about his first-year back having to play catchup.

"He knows how far behind the other guys he is and what he doesn't know," McDaniels said. "At this point, that is as important as what he does know, because now, he knows what he has to work harder at."

When asked if he will play in Friday's preseason opener at San Francisco, Moreno stayed focused on the present.

"I'm not sure," Moreno said. "Right now I'm just back at practice."

As did McDaniels. When asked if his top pick in the 2009 NFL draft has a chance to play at the 49ers, he replied: "Absolutely."

CHERISHING HIS CANTON MEMORIES

As a Canton, Ohio native, McDaniels often looks forward to the month of August for a noteworthy football event to circle on his calendar.

With Sunday night's Bills-Titans Hall of Fame game marking the official kickoff of football's preseason, McDaniels took time after practice to reminisce about his experiences attending the festivities.

"I used to go to the parade, the ribs burn off, the enshrinement (and) the game," he said. "Everything that I could get into, I was there."

In the midst of mentally and physically grooming his team for the upcoming season, McDaniels added that the inductees offer some of the best advice out there for aspiring players like those on his roster.

"I think it is just a special night for football in general," he said. "You see how much that induction and to be placed in the Hall means to those people. It gives these young kids that are still playing today a little bit of a different perspective on the fact that this means a lot (and) don't take it for granted.

CHANGES IN MONDAY'S PRACTICE SCHEDULE

Monday's 5:30 p.m. practice at Dove Valley has been canceled. The Broncos will practice in the morning at INVESCO Field at Mile High, but that session is closed to the public.

Three days after performing in front of 13,000-plus fans, McDaniels is looking forward to getting in another stadium session before the preseason opener.

"We are going to walk through stretching, our sideline operation, where we want to sit when we are not on defense, where we want to sit when we are not out there on offense," he said. "Just communication between upstairs and on the field, the coach and the quarterback. Just one more time through that before we actually do it on Friday night for real."

The team will return to Dove Valley on Tuesday for it's regularly scheduled two-a-day sessions. Those start at 8:45 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. and are open to the public.

drewloc
08-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm glad to see Moreno out there, hope he keeps working hard and produces for us! :salute:

LRtagger
08-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Go to DenverBroncos.com and watch the newest video of the Day 10 practice recap. It has some highlights of Moreno from 1 on 1's and will make everyone very excited to have him on this team. He jukes someone out of their shoes (cant see who, but I think Ayers), runs through DJ, and shows amazing balance on the last clip. He looked amazing for his first day at camp.

OldschoolFreak
08-10-2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9213

"But after I got the juices flowing, it was just practice."

What do we have another Iverson on our hands?

powderaddict
08-10-2009, 10:54 AM

Obviously.

Lonestar
08-10-2009, 12:54 PM

IIRC he was referring to feeling uptight before practice that he had a lot of expectations/butterflies to live up to and once he got hit it became routine..

at least that was how I saw it and read his face when he said it..

we have had so many dramas the past few months not everything needs to be discussed to the nth degree or have hidden meanings..

I think it was JUST the first real practice for a newbie..

Grover
08-10-2009, 01:00 PM
The video was eye-opening on the skills of Moreno. Can't wait to see him on game day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also interesting is that many have reported that Moreno WILL play in Friday's first preseason game. If you look at the quote, McDaniels was asked if Moreno had a "chance" to play Friday. Answering "ABSOLUTELY" to the question of a chance to play is a bunch different than the coach saying Moreno will play Friday.

OldschoolFreak
08-10-2009, 01:11 PM
IIRC he was referring to feeling uptight before practice that he had a lot of expectations/butterflies to live up to and once he got hit it became routine..

at least that was how I saw it and read his face when he said it..

we have had so many dramas the past few months not everything needs to be discussed to the nth degree or have hidden meanings..

I think it was JUST the first real practice for a newbie..

I didn't mean anything by my post. I'm "pro-no". Just thought the quote was funny.

GEM
08-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Go to DenverBroncos.com and watch the newest video of the Day 10 practice recap. It has some highlights of Moreno from 1 on 1's and will make everyone very excited to have him on this team. He jukes someone out of their shoes (cant see who, but I think Ayers), runs through DJ, and shows amazing balance on the last clip. He looked amazing for his first day at camp.

Watching through that, saw Moss make a tackle on Hillis. Won't read too much into it, but he did stop the bulldozer.

broncogirl7
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I cannot wait for the season to begin. Moreno has brought some real anticipation to mind...

Lonestar
08-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Watching through that, saw Moss make a tackle on Hillis. Won't read too much into it, but he did stop the bulldozer.

STOP the presses, new headlines to follow..

MOSS MAKES TACKLE..

T.K.O.
08-10-2009, 04:41 PM
:salute:watching other interviews ,mcD made it clear that he wants every player in as many game situations as possible before the season starts.
so i'm 99% sure we will see moreno take the field in sf on friday even if only for a series.
that being said i expect him to rush for 88 yards and a td on that drive !!!!!::beer::elefant::salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-10-2009, 05:12 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13031681

Highlight:

He may be listed fourth on the depth chart, but rookie tailback Knowshon Moreno already is making a big impression on only his second full day of practice. Moreno, who ended an eight-day holdout when he signed his contract over the weekend, split reps on the first-team offense with veteran Correll Buckhalter during 11-on-11 drills. He also showcased his versatility by splitting out wide in one formation and by taking his turn practicing kickoff returns.

"I did it at Georgia and I also did punt returns, so I'm used to that," Moreno said.

Lowlight:

It might be a good thing that Kyle Orton is playing his first game for the Broncos away from Invesco Field at Mile High. After throwing a couple of interceptions in front of thousands of fans on Thursday, Orton again this morning threw two in a closed practice at Invesco. Linebacker Andra Davis stepped in front of tight end Tony Scheffler to pick off Orton's short pass in a 7-on-7 drill, while safety Josh Barrett intercepted Orton on a deeper pass during 11-on-11 work.

Quote:

"We are not out here to try to hurt one another, and we, certainly, want to take care of our teammates. You have emotions that run high and sometimes that happens. I think our guys have done a great job of — even when those things start up — they calm themselves down."

— Coach Josh McDaniels on discouraging his players from fighting with each other during practices.

Point After:

Josh McDaniels is nothing if not meticulous when it comes to his game preparation. And that doesn't just mean how he crafts an offensive game plan. McDaniels spent the beginning of Monday's practice at Invesco Field instructing his players how they will come out of the tunnel before games, showing each position group where they will go for their pregame warm-ups and how the full team will line up for stretching. The team plays its first preseason game Friday at San Francisco.

"I think we feel pretty comfortable with everything. I am sure we will run into some sort of snag on Friday night," McDaniels said. "That normally happens your first time out, but I think everybody understands how we are going to run the sidelines and how we are going to run the game operations."

McDaniels and his staff are also preparing a "thorough" game plan for players for the 49ers.

"We do not want to give them false expectations of what is going to happen in the regular season," McDaniels said. "We want to try to simulate as much real like-game experiences as we can for them right now."

Camp facts:

The Broncos will hold two practices on Tuesday at Dove Valley, at 8:45 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Both sessions are free and open to the public.

camdisco24
08-11-2009, 02:41 PM
I am very excited about Moreno, I think he will bring alot to the running game. I even drafted him on my Fantasy team last night... BUT lets hope he doesnt catch the Bronco RB injury plague.

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
:lalala:
BUT lets hope he doesnt catch the Bronco RB injury plague.

:lalala: