PDA

View Full Version : Bailey: Broncos Have Closed Gap With Patriots

Denver Native (Carol)
10-06-2012, 08:34 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) – After giving up 86 points to the Patriots last year, the Denver Broncos realized just how far away they were from becoming a championship contender.

Following the Broncos’ 45-10 loss at New England in the playoffs, coach John Fox pledged, “We will do everything we can to get better.”

And they did.

They swapped Tim Tebow for Peyton Manning, retooled the offense and fortified their defense. They’ll get to gauge just how much they’ve narrowed that gap Sunday when they visit Tom Brady and the Patriots.

rest - http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/06/bailey-broncos-have-closed-gap-with-pats/

Nomad
10-06-2012, 09:01 PM
BRONCOS need to win...I can't handle another loss this weekend:lol:

MOtorboat
10-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I think it's pretty obvious where the upgrade was.

bcbronc
10-06-2012, 11:19 PM
I think it's pretty obvious where the upgrade was.

apparently, reading the article, it's the DC. :tsk:

Chillez
10-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Man, I love Champ!

I hope he retires with a ring. Guy deserved one long long time ago.

broncobryce
10-07-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm surprised he took a shot at Allen. Usually that's not Champs style at all.

I still don't think we can slow down the Patriots at all. We'll see if Champ is right or not.

Davii
10-07-2012, 03:16 PM

I still don't think we can slow down the Patriots at all. We'll see if Champ is right or not.

It didn't seem like he meant it as a slight against Allen, it seemed more that he was just saying it's not the same defense that got their asses handed to them twice there last year. Different scheme different coordinator, etc. Champ doesn't take shots at ppeople in the media, like you said, not his style.

ShaneFalco
10-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Closed gap? eh...

chaoticmayhem
10-07-2012, 05:00 PM
looks like the same D to me...minus a decent pass rush

Chidoze
10-07-2012, 05:27 PM
I'd say the gap is still as big as ever... Patriots are clearly the better team still.

UnderArmour
10-07-2012, 05:29 PM
As long as we keep playing with Joe Mays out there, it's like having only 10 guys out there. Just not going to cut it against the Patriots. DJ Williams can't come back fast enough.

Krugan
10-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Huh, it seems the gap is an understatement.

Grand canyon, errm sad:/

broncobryce
10-07-2012, 05:34 PM
So Champ, about that D..........

Joel
10-07-2012, 06:45 PM
As long as we keep playing with Joe Mays out there, it's like having only 10 guys out there. Just not going to cut it against the Patriots. DJ Williams can't come back fast enough.
This point cannot be made enough. Mays made ONE decent stop on an out pass tonight, but that and a sack (against Atlanta, IIRC) are the only two good plays I've seen him make this year. I honestly lose count of how many BLOWN plays he makes each week, but the blown coverage on 3rd and 10 from the Pats 1 stuck in my mind tonight. That let them spend the rest of the half scoring a FG then start the second half with the ball, instead of us having a chance to tie the game at the half. Considering NEs 10 point halftime lead was their margin of victory, that's huge.

Mays is useless in coverage and overruns or misses as many tackles as he makes, when he's not out of position entirely. I don't expect DJ to replace him any more than I expect Miller to (though HE nearly had a pick on 3rd down in the 4th tonight, and did force a punt,) but we need a legit Mike like a drowning man needs air. As in "can't survive without it." Denver has potential if Thomas stops fumbling long receptions, but is not ready to play with the big boys yet. Our young players are getting there, but if Rahim Moore can still plead youth, Beadles and Mays have no such excuse, and demand replacement.

chaoticmayhem
10-07-2012, 06:50 PM
if Rahim Moore can still plead youth, Beadles and Mays have no such excuse, and demand replacement.

Beadles? He's fine. Mays is a backup LB that should only be in on obvious run downs. Moore is basically garbage.

Joel
10-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Beadles? He's fine. Mays is a backup LB that should only be in on obvious run downs. Moore is basically garbage.
Beadles is inconsistent, though he does (finally) seem to be getting better this year. He blocks downfield well, and may finally be getting a clue about pass protection, but DTs and LBs still get through him to hit our backs behind the line far more often than a guy who's started every game for two seasons should allow.

I don't want to get sidetracked though; as vital as Gs are, especially for running, the MLB is the heart of any good 4-3, because in addition to playing spy a lot and usually calling defensive audibles, he's the one player with a vital role in coverage, run stopping and pass rushing. Weaknesses elsewhere can often be compensated for by other strengths, but an awful Mike like Mays hurts every aspect of a 4-3.

chaoticmayhem
10-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Beadles is inconsistent, though he does (finally) seem to be getting better this year. He blocks downfield well, and may finally be getting a clue about pass protection, but DTs and LBs still get through him to hit our backs behind the line far more often than a guy who's started every game for two seasons should allow.

I don't want to get sidetracked though; as vital as Gs are, especially for running, the MLB is the heart of any good 4-3, because in addition to playing spy a lot and usually calling defensive audibles, he's the one player with a vital role in coverage, run stopping and pass rushing. Weaknesses elsewhere can often be compensated for by other strengths, but an awful Mike like Mays hurts every aspect of a 4-3.

I don't see Beadles as a glaring problem. On the O-line the weakness is at RG..until Kuper comes back healthy. Anyway, I agree with everything else you said.

Joel
10-07-2012, 08:09 PM
I don't see Beadles as a glaring problem. On the O-line the weakness is at RG..until Kuper comes back healthy. Anyway, I agree with everything else you said.
I'm not thrilled with any of them except Clady and Koppen (he's been the improvement I expected since we signed him, though I didn't want him to get on the field THAT way,) but my main complaint now is their run blocking at the line: I'm tired of our backs having to break two tackles to REACH the line. Like I say though, 'nother thread. ;)

Simple Jaded
10-07-2012, 08:10 PM
I sincerely hope Bailey was referring to the Broncos offense.......

Simple Jaded
10-07-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm not thrilled with any of them except Clady and Koppen (he's been the improvement I expected since we signed him, though I didn't want him to get on the field THAT way,) but my main complaint now is their run blocking at the line: I'm tired of our backs having to break two tackles to REACH the line. Like I say though, 'nother thread. ;)
Wow, you don't like what you see from Franklin? I think he's been outstanding, especially in the run game. Even Beadles is improved.......

ShaneFalco
10-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Im just wondering how the Cardinals did so much better then us against the Pats.

jhildebrand
10-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Im just wondering how the Cardinals did so much better then us against the Pats.

Week 1.

BroncoJoe
10-07-2012, 09:41 PM
What was the score last year? 45-10 or something?

21-31 is closing the gap. He didnt say we eliminated the gap.

Simple Jaded
10-07-2012, 09:49 PM
The Cards have Williams, Dockett and Campbell on the DL, huge difference. Opponents have taken Doom and Miller outta the equation early in games, how many teams have we seen go to the shorter routes? Pitt, Atl, NE. The Texans did it with playaction passes.

Denver needs Wolfe to develope into an interior pass rusher.......

MOtorboat
10-07-2012, 09:55 PM
What was the score last year? 45-10 or something?

21-31 is closing the gap. He didnt say we eliminated the gap.

The Broncos were competitive today.

They were not twice last year.

Anyone who doesn't see that, is blinded by a bias I will try not to speak about.

Jsteve01
10-07-2012, 10:06 PM
The Cards have Williams, Dockett and Campbell on the DL, huge difference. Opponents have taken Doom and Miller outta the equation early in games, how many teams have we seen go to the shorter routes? Pitt, Atl, NE. The Texans did it with playaction passes.

All of this. I just think we're really seeing badly depleted this team was from end of Shanny's tenure to the debacle that was the McD era

Jsteve01
10-07-2012, 10:07 PM

All of this. I just think we're really seeing badly depleted this team was from end of Shanny's tenure to the debacle that was the McD era

broncobryce
10-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Well, McD certainly dismantled us today.

Nomad
10-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Well, McD certainly dismantled us today.

Well, I think I could look like a genius at OC with Brady and Wes Welker.:lol:

Chef Zambini
10-08-2012, 12:49 AM

I still don't think we can slow down the Patriots at all. We'll see if Champ is right or not.say what?
champ always has praise for the guy ion the office, he then shits on the same guy once he leaves town. thats the champ MO.
always has been, always will be.
champ is all about champ, always has been always will be.

Chef Zambini
10-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Well, McD certainly dismantled us today.say what?
JMCD dismantled us during his 2 years in denver !
today was a by-product.
we cant stop the run, he ran the ball,
brilliant. take the short bus to the mensa reception !

Joel
10-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Wow, you don't like what you see from Franklin? I think he's been outstanding, especially in the run game. Even Beadles is improved.......
He's definitely improved, more than Beadles (who IS better than last year, but that's not saying much) yet still inconsistent. He's great against the run but gets beat in pass protection too much for a tackle. Even that Boston Globe preview I stumbled on yesterday noted he gets shredded on stunts a lot, and DEs flat beat him around the corner too often for my liking. I cut him some slack though because he's only played 20 pro games and is a real road grader in the running game, maybe the only one on the team.

The Broncos were competitive today.

They were not twice last year.

Anyone who doesn't see that, is blinded by a bias I will try not to speak about.
We were only competitive in the first quarter; that game was not as close as the score implies, any more than the Falcons or Texans games were. After NE went up 31-7 midway through the third quarter their D was in semi-prevent, while Logan Mankins and Sebastian Vollmer both skipped most of the 4th quarter because 1) they're banged up and 2) we were beaten. At that, we only managed another two scores against a D trading yards and points for time throughout most of the second half.

vandammage13
10-08-2012, 08:46 AM
If by "closed the gap" Bailey meant allowing the Pats to set a franchise record in first downs, then yeah, he was right.

Chef Zambini
10-08-2012, 03:39 PM
bailys opinion is always contrived BS.
He is always positive about the current regime until that status changes, then he is always the first to point out their short-comings as they emty their desks.
always!he shoulsd go duck hunting with chaney!

MOtorboat
10-08-2012, 04:14 PM
bailys opinion is always contrived BS.
He is always positive about the current regime until that status changes, then he is always the first to point out their short-comings as they emty their desks.
always!he shoulsd go duck hunting with chaney!

Sources, please?

jhildebrand
10-08-2012, 04:18 PM
We were only competitive in the first quarter; that game was not as close as the score implies, any more than the Falcons or Texans games were. After NE went up 31-7 midway through the third quarter their D was in semi-prevent, while Logan Mankins and Sebastian Vollmer both skipped most of the 4th quarter because 1) they're banged up and 2) we were beaten. At that, we only managed another two scores against a D trading yards and points for time throughout most of the second half.

I insist it is all stat padding in garbage time. Something people would acknowledge with Orton but NOT Manning. The reality is New England had their way yesterday. It showed. They could do anything they wanted at will and were never concerned about anything Denver was doing or trying to do. Shoot, Belichick even went for it on 4th down with 8 minutes to go and the game "appearing" close. He wasn't concerned.

If anyone doesn't believe they weren't having their way, look no further than their 35 first downs. :tsk:

MOtorboat
10-08-2012, 04:20 PM
I insist it is all stat padding in garbage time. Something people would acknowledge with Orton but NOT Manning. The reality is New England had their way yesterday. It showed. They could do anything they wanted at will and were never concerned about anything Denver was doing or trying to do. Shoot, Belichick even went for it on 4th down with 8 minutes to go and the game "appearing" close. He wasn't concerned.

If anyone doesn't believe they weren't having their way, look no further than their 35 first downs. :tsk:

Denver was actually 2-14 last year.

Ravage!!!
10-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Some would say the reason he would go for it on 4th down when things appeared to be getting close, woudl be to keep the ball out of Manning's hands.

But, we aren't as good of a team as Houston, Atlanta, and NE is right now. Go figure.

Buff
10-08-2012, 05:23 PM
If by "closed the gap" Bailey meant allowing the Pats to set a franchise record in first downs, then yeah, he was right.

/thread

Joel
10-10-2012, 05:01 AM

If anyone doesn't believe they weren't having their way, look no further than their 35 first downs.
It's hard to deny; the thing to take away from our 3 blowouts is not "our great offense got us within one score all but once," it's "our offense AND defense are so unreliable they can't close the gap even running 2:00 drills against prevent and stuffing clock-killing runs we know are coming for the whole second half." We didn't get annihilated for 2.5 quarters then magically improve THREE TIMES, else we would've won at least one of those games: We got desperate and they got conservative, because both sides knew our chance of winning was gone. The proof is, once again, we lost every single time.

bcbronc
10-11-2012, 12:28 AM
But you can't ignore the amount of self-inflicted damage that usually contributed to the large deficits in the first place. Just take out the two DT fumbles and maybe those games go different. Also, every game the pre-Manning Broncos are having first experiences with Manning under centre. It's great to see things on film, run it vs scout, talk about it on the bus, but making the adjustments Manning is expecting you to make under the bright lights is something altogether different.

Obviously teams play a little looser when they get a big lead early. But the offense also got things figured out a bit in the second halves, which is a positive. That's part of the growing process that most understand this offense is going to require. Every snap these guys take together is creating more familiarity and chemistry. I expect the season to go much like these losses...struggle a bit over the first half, start to figure things out in the second half.