PDA

View Full Version : Moreno makes long-awaited debut at Broncos camp

TXBRONC
08-09-2009, 06:05 PM
While it's not surprising it's nice to hear that Moreno still has a chance to be starter this year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9914216/Moreno-makes-long-awaited-debut-at-Broncos-camp

Moreno makes long-awaited debut at Broncos campAssociated Press
add this RSS email print
Updated: August 9, 2009, 6:19 PM EDT

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - Knowshon Moreno, the top running back selected in the NFL draft, is making his training camp debut with the Denver Broncos.

Moreno, the 12th overall pick, missed the team's first eight days of workouts while his agents worked on a five-year, $23 million contract with the Broncos. The signing was Saturday, an off day.

Coach Josh McDaniels says Moreno still has a chance to win the starting tailback job but he has a lot of catching up to do.

He's not sure if Moreno will be ready to play in the Broncos' first preseason game at San Francisco on Friday night.

Tned
08-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I posted this in the camp update thread, but prior to Twitter crashing again (they have been fighting DDOS attacks for several days now), the tweets coming in from reporters was that Moreno was running with the 3rd team, but looking very good.

TXBRONC
08-09-2009, 06:16 PM
I posted this in the camp update thread, but prior to Twitter crashing again (they have been fighting DDOS attacks for several days now), the tweets coming in from reporters was that Moreno was running with the 3rd team, but looking very good.

So is it ok to let this stay up as a its own thread?

Tned
08-09-2009, 06:41 PM
So is it ok to let this stay up as a its own thread?

Sure, I'm not a merge-freak, I think over-merging threads makes things harder to follow, and makes it seem like a less active community for new members that come here.

On a side note, McDaniels said that Moreno will play in the first pre-season game on Friday.

TXBRONC
08-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Sure, I'm not a merge-freak, I think over-merging threads makes things harder to follow, and makes it seem like a less active community for new members that come here.

On a side note, McDaniels said that Moreno will play in the first pre-season game on Friday.

That's good news. I guess that means McDaniels think Moreno knows enough of the offense to warrant some playing time.

Lonestar
08-09-2009, 07:03 PM

RB is not quite the Mensa intensive spot that WR is..

I suspect we will see him getting reps on 1st and 2nd down where it is unlikely we see a blitz.. as those require one cut and go..

the passing game, route running or picking up blitzes are another situation..

Denver Native (Carol)
08-09-2009, 08:03 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/09/moreno-will-play-friday-night/

So much for working a guy into things slowly. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said after Sunday’s practice that rookie running back Knowshon Moreno would see action in Friday night’s preseason opener in San Francisco.

Moreno practiced Sunday for the first time since training camp opened. He missed eight days of work as the two sides negotiated his contract.

Asked after practice if he saw enough to put Moreno in the game Friday, McDaniels’ said “absolutely.”

Moreno took some reps with the first-team offense Sunday and his conditioning looked good. McDaniels said the rookie missed a few assisgnments, but that overall Moreno looked ready to go.

Broncos Mtnman
08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Holdouts often get hurt because they might be in physical shape, but aren't in football shape.

Mickey Mouse might want to watch how he uses him this early.

atwater27
08-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Moreno looks pretty badass in those pics.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Five bucks Moreno runs for 200+ in his first regular season game.

atwater27
08-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Think he'll get that many carries?

Requiem / The Dagda
08-09-2009, 08:46 PM
He only needs a couple to do that, bro.

TXBRONC
08-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Holdouts often get hurt because they might be in physical shape, but aren't in football shape.

Mickey Mouse might want to watch how he uses him this early.

It seems to happen quite a bit. A player holds for an extended period of time then he finally signs then gets hurt. I remember that happening to T. Bell and didn't actually miss but a couple of days.

The one thing Moreno has going for him is that does have some time to start getting into football shape before that first preseason game on Friday.

TXBRONC
08-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Think he'll get that many carries?

I would be surprised to see him get ten or more carries.

sneakers
08-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I would be surprised to see him get ten or more carries.

My guess is 4 or fewer

TXBRONC
08-10-2009, 08:57 AM
My guess is 4 or fewer

I think he'll get round 6 and maybe as many as 8.

broncofaninfla
08-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Moreno not wasting any time (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/10/moreno-not-wasting-any-time/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 10, 2009 11:21 AM ET
Broncos running back Knowshown Moreno missed 12 training camp practices, but that doesn't seem to be slowing him down much.

Moreno is already taking first-team snaps at practice (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/09/moreno-will-play-friday-night/), and will be ready to play in Denver's preseason opener on Friday.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is very high on the rookie, believing Moreno is a three-down player with all the flexibility to run a varied offense. Moreno looks like he has a good chance to start in Week One, and some believe the Broncos offense will be built around him (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/27544/nfl-training-camp-chat).

McDaniels is known for his work in the passing game, but he coached the 2008 Patriots to the fourth-best rushing total in the league without top tier talent. (Sammy Morris led the team with 727 yards.)

With all the focus on Kyle Orton, McDaniels may try to replace Jay Cutler with Moreno as the team's offensive fulcrum.

Dean
08-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I wonder if any back in this offense will be a 3 down back. Here are the rushing stats in terms of total number of carries and yards gained for the Patriots last year.
156 carries 727 yards
83 carries 507 yards
80 carries 363 yards
74 carries 275 yards

Does picking Moreno at 12 mean that McKid is going to uses a primary, 3 down back? Does it mean RB/bench player by committee? If he is as good as his draft pick indicates, he should be on the field except for a very few plays for rest.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2009, 04:48 PM
The reason that New England's running stats looked like that was because of the injuries suffered across their board. Similar to our story, but not as bad.

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I wonder if any back in this offense will be a 3 down back. Here are the rushing stats in terms of total number of carries and yards gained for the Patriots last year.
156 carries 727 yards
83 carries 507 yards
80 carries 363 yards
74 carries 275 yards

Does picking Moreno at 12 mean that McKid is going to uses a primary, 3 down back? Does it mean RB/bench player by committee? If he is as good as his draft pick indicates, he should be on the field except for a very few plays for rest.

I have been commenting on this for months even prior to the draft when he surprised me by taking Moreno..

Even when they had studs in the kid from CLE and the one they drafted in the first the top dog did not average more than 900 consistently..

I went back through year 2000 or so for my research and the stud buffalo rarely went over 900..

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
well even though i have moreno on 2 out of 3 of my fantasy teams on nfl.com
i really could care less if he gets more than 700yds,as long as buck ,jordannhillis and torain all do the same and they get 8-10 td's each as well !...kool-aid anyone?:beer:

BroncoWave
08-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I have been commenting on this for months even prior to the draft when he surprised me by taking Moreno..

Even when they had studs in the kid from CLE and the one they drafted in the first the top dog did not average more than 900 consistently..

I went back through year 2000 or so for my research and the stud buffalo rarely went over 900..

That's because they got Corey Dillon at the end of his career, and Laurence Maroney never really became that first round talent. If they had had a guy capable of carrying the load, I have no doubt they would have let him. Do you really think if they had had maybe an LT or Adrian Peterson type of player that he wouldn't have taken the bulk of the carries? Now I don't know if Moreno will be that caliber player or not but if so, I have no doubt he'll carry the bulk of the running game.

T.K.O.
08-11-2009, 05:31 PM
That's because they got Corey Dillon at the end of his career, and Laurence Maroney never really became that first round talent. If they had had a guy capable of carrying the load, I have no doubt they would have let him. Do you really think if they had had maybe an LT or Adrian Peterson type of player that he wouldn't have taken the bulk of the carries? Now I don't know if Moreno will be that caliber player or not but if so, I have no doubt he'll carry the bulk of the running game.

maroney is a total bada$$....when he's healthy !

Dean
08-11-2009, 06:08 PM
well even though i have moreno on 2 out of 3 of my fantasy teams on nfl.com
i really could care less if he gets more than 700yds,as long as buck ,jordannhillis and torain all do the same and they get 8-10 td's each as well !...kool-aid anyone?:beer:

Kool-aid?? You didn't leave any.:confused:

Ravage!!!
08-11-2009, 06:11 PM
maroney is a total bada$$....when he's healthy !

He is? He hasn't shown it yet.... as of right now.. he's considered a bad-ass flop.

TXBRONC
08-11-2009, 06:21 PM

When New England won their first Super Bowl Antowain Smith carried the ball 287 times, he had 1,157 rushing, and 12 touch downs. That leads me to believe when Billichick thinks he has three down back he'll use him as such.

BroncoWave
08-11-2009, 06:31 PM
When New England won their first Super Bowl Antowain Smith carried the ball 287 times, he had 1,157 rushing, and 12 touch downs. That leads me to believe when Billichick thinks he has three down back he'll use him as such.

Ah, I had forgotten him but yes, that does validate my point. If Moreno is what we think he'll be then he will get the rock.

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 09:14 PM

that may be but I do not see it being run first in the spread offense.. that is what he grew up on and unless orton and simms bomb we are going to be a pass first and run enough to keep them honest.. IMHO

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Ah, I had forgotten him but yes, that does validate my point. If Moreno is what we think he'll be then he will get the rock.

now I just went back to see how many games smith was active for (16) that was that is 18 carries a game.. and 72 yards a game.. 4.YPC the next best runner had 169 yards Faulk and 119 yards Redmond

stub Buffalo's they were not.

they are and have been a passing first team since Brady came to town and played, even last year with a "rookie" QB they were not a HUGE running team although they did run more that average..

now does that mean that Orton will have the same success not but with all the receiving talent something that NE really never has had till 2007 I just can't see us running the ball first unless Orton and Simms suck even with a stub muffin Moreno..

Guess we will see who guessed right at the end of the year..

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=1&conference=null&statisticCategory=RUSHING&d-447263-s=PERSON_TEAMS.TEAMS.FULL_NAME&experience=null&d-447263-n=1&season=2001&Submit=Go&qualified=true&tabSeq=0&d-447263-p=4

BroncoWave
08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
that may be but I do not see it being run first in the spread offense.. that is what he grew up on and unless orton and simms bomb we are going to be a pass first and run enough to keep them honest.. IMHO

I never said we'd be a run first team. I said that if Moreno proves to be as good as we all hope he will get the vast majority of the Broncos carries, how ever many that may be.

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 10:38 PM
I never said we'd be a run first team. I said that if Moreno proves to be as good as we all hope he will get the vast majority of the Broncos carries, how ever many that may be.

I do not believe he will (vast majority). That has not been the MO for NE in the brady era..

I think it will be spread around so he is not a rubber legged basket case in the later games of the year.. I guess we will find out..

BroncoWave
08-11-2009, 10:43 PM
I do not believe he will (vast majority). That has not been the MO for NE in the brady era..

I think it will be spread around so he is not a rubber legged basket case in the later games of the year.. I guess we will find out..

And I think that Moreno will be better than any RB that played in NE while Bill has coached there. Like I've said a million times, one of the reasons NE hasn't had a "stud buffalo" get most of their carries is because they haven't had a #1 RB capable of it.

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 10:47 PM
And I think that Moreno will be better than any RB that played in NE while Bill has coached there. Like I've said a million times, one of the reasons NE hasn't had a "stud buffalo" get most of their carries is because they haven't had a #1 RB capable of it.

maybe so but running from the spread formation or shotgun that fuels the spread makes it harder to do..

While he is the potential stud at RB.. I just do not see Josh varying from form all that much..

Billy tried in vain to get a stud and had a couple of them but they just did not get the touches they might have/did elsewhere.. they spread the RB duties around so much..

I think unless Orton or Simms bombs he will do what he has seen work for the past 8-10 years there..

BroncoWave
08-11-2009, 10:51 PM
maybe so but running from the spread formation or shotgun that fuels the spread makes it harder to do..

While he is the potential stud at RB.. I just do not see Josh varying from form all that much..

Billy tried in vain to get a stud and had a couple of them but they just did not get the touches they might have/did elsewhere.. they spread the RB duties around so much..

I think unless Orton or Simms bombs he will do what he has seen work for the past 8-10 years there..

Because they weren't that good, I.E. Corey Dillon at the end of his career, and Maroney who's never been able to stay healthy.

Now if Moreno turns out not to be quite as good as we all hope, you will probably be right but if he does turn out to be the real deal, I see him getting 70-80% of the carries will Hillis getting most of the rest and maybe Buckhalter getting one from time to time.

Lonestar
08-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Because they weren't that good, I.E. Corey Dillon at the end of his career, and Maroney who's never been able to stay healthy.

Now if Moreno turns out not to be quite as good as we all hope, you will probably be right but if he does turn out to be the real deal, I see him getting 70-80% of the carries will Hillis getting most of the rest and maybe Buckhalter getting one from time to time.

if you say so..

But I do not see it that way I think they will spread the ball around alot more than 5-8 touches by everyone else.. with Moreno getting more the 15-19 a game..

the spread formation just does not lend itself to running the ball alot..

TXBRONC
08-12-2009, 12:04 AM

When did Kyle Orton become a quarterback of the same caliber as Tom Brady?

So McDaniels is going to Moreno all guaranteed money to rush the ball about 10 per game catch about 2 or 3 passes per game?

Lonestar
08-12-2009, 12:22 AM

now I just went back to see how many games smith was active for (16) that was that is 18 carries a game.. and 72 yards a game.. 4.YPC the next best runner had 169 yards Faulk and 119 yards Redmond

stub Buffalo's they were not.

they are and have been a passing first team since Brady came to town and played, even last year with a "rookie" QB they were not a HUGE running team although they did run more that average..

now does that mean that Orton will have the same success not but with all the receiving talent something that NE really never has had till 2007 I just can't see us running the ball first unless Orton and Simms suck even with a stub muffin Moreno..

Guess we will see who guessed right at the end of the year..

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=1&conference=null&statisticCategory=RUSHING&d-447263-s=PERSON_TEAMS.TEAMS.FULL_NAME&experience=null&d-447263-n=1&season=2001&Submit=Go&qualified=true&tabSeq=0&d-447263-p=4

When did Kyle Orton become a quarterback of the same caliber as Tom Brady?

So McDaniels is going to Moreno all guaranteed money to rush the ball about 10 per game catch about 2 or 3 passes per game?

I guess you failed to note my qualifiers in almost every other post I have made in this thread.. so I hilited them for you..

just so I'm not taken out of context.. with the last one

and BTW we really do not know for sure he is NOT the same caliber as brady is. YET do we..

TXBRONC
08-12-2009, 12:30 AM
I guess you failed to note my qualifiers in almost every other post I have made in this thread.. so I hilited them for you..

just so I'm not taken out of context.. with the last one

and BTW we really do not know for sure he is NOT the same caliber as brady is. YET do we..

Most of what you post isn't worth my time.

Yes to this point in his career yes we do know. :coffee:

TXBRONC
08-12-2009, 01:01 AM

Smith more than proves the point. The three other running backs that Jr mentioned not one of them had close to one hundred carries. In fact if you combine their carries its comes out 127 carries, which means Smith had 160 more carries than other three running backs combined.