PDA

View Full Version : Texans Waive QB John Beck. Interested?

OrangeHoof
10-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Understood that Beck, the former BYU star who played with the Dolphins, is certainly no starter but he would be an upgrade to Hanie and has veteran backup skills with similarities to what Manning does. I think he'd be worth a look so we don't have to stick in either Osweiler or Hanie should Manning go down.

BroncoJoe
10-03-2012, 01:08 PM
No.

SoCalImport
10-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Don't see why beck is an upgrade to hanie who has been learning mccoy's offence for months now.

Ravage!!!
10-03-2012, 01:15 PM
no.

slim
10-03-2012, 01:24 PM
He couldn't cut it playing in Shanny's or Kubes system.

You have to be a pretty medicore QB to fail in those systems.

NightTerror218
10-03-2012, 01:53 PM
I am starting to think the only reason that Haine is a bronco is because he is from Colorado State and could help with more local fans. Elway wanted to get fan more involved and who knows Ram fans might like that he is a Bronco now. Cause he sucks and never sees the field and prob never will and Brock would get time over him just to get experience.

OrangeHoof
10-03-2012, 02:13 PM
2012 Pre-season stats:

Beck: 10-16, 195 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT. 125.8 QBR
Hanie: 22-39, 246 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT. 73.2 QBR
Osweiler: 16-33, 139 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT. 57.5 QBR

Yes, I know it is pre-season games and small sample size, etc. but, based on this, which guy would you rather have in the game if Manning twists an ankle?

NightTerror218
10-03-2012, 02:15 PM
2012 Pre-season stats:

Yes, I know it is pre-season games and small sample size, etc. but, based on this, which guy would you rather have in the game if Manning twists an ankle?

after last game.....PRATER

underrated29
10-03-2012, 02:17 PM
2012 Pre-season stats:

Oz.

As for beck. No way. Id rather start haine. And I do not like either of them.

chazoe60
10-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Holy shit, only the Jets talk about their back up QB as much as we do. It's embarrassing.

Buff
10-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Why would we be interested?

OrangeHoof
10-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Why would we be interested?

Because Hanie's not good and Osweiler is not ready.

Buff
10-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Because Hanie's not good and Osweiler is not ready.

Fair enough on Hanie. But personally I'd take my chances with Osweiler over a journeyman like Beck.

gregbroncs
10-03-2012, 03:10 PM
No. Beck is terrible. I don't think he's an upgrade over either of the other 2. I really don't like hanie but would take him over Beck.

Simple Jaded
10-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Nay!.......

Dzone
10-04-2012, 01:45 AM
The dude flamed out with 3 teams because he aint no good. Much rather have Osweiler on the field than some guy that cant even make the practice squat

UnderArmour
10-04-2012, 06:55 AM
Fair enough on Hanie. But personally I'd take my chances with Osweiler over a journeyman like Beck.

How is that fair enough on Hanie? Have you even seen Beck play? Sorry, Beck is awful and the OP should feel awful for even suggesting we sign this loser. Hanie has shown SOME semblance of NFL talent while all Beck has shown is that he is a loser. Beck has NEVER won a start in his whole career and in all of his starts he has looked abysmal throwing the ball to WRs to the point that I would take a Tim Tebow that couldn't scramble over him.

Not only am I not interested, I am embarrassed that OrangeHoof even posted this thread. Pass.

OrangeHoof
10-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Hanie has shown SOME semblance of NFL talent while all Beck has shown is that he is a loser.

I strongly disagree with your talent assessment. IMO, Hanie is the one who shows no talent and Beck, while certainly no Don Strock, has the ability to come off the bench and manage a game - which is all I'm expecting here.

I watched Beck vs. Minnesota this summer identify the blitz, find the open receiver on the quick slant and watched that receiver take it to the house. From what I've seen of Hanie and Osweiler, I don't think either one can do that right now.

You say Beck has never won an NFL start, but what are we comparing him to? Two guys who also have never won an NFL start. Hanie's career record is 0-4 with a 50% completion rate, and a 3/9 TD/INT ratio. Beck is 0-7 with a 58.6% completion rate and a 3/7 TD/INT ratio.

Hanie has more athleticism and Osweiler is probably more athletic than both but, statistically, both in real NFL competition and in this year's pre-season, Beck has the better numbers.

Be embarrassed all you want but I still contend Beck is an upgrade to Hanie, both in experience and in performance. Would I want him in there over Manning? Hell, no. But if Manning had to sit out a half or a couple of weeks, I'd feel better with Beck at the helm than I would Hanie. I'd feel even better with half the #2 QBs in the league than either but that's not the issue.

Jsteve01
10-04-2012, 08:44 AM
I have never in all my life discussed dung heap qbs as much as we have this year. Beck is not an upgrade over hanie imho. And he has no experience in this offense.

UnderArmour
10-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I strongly disagree with your talent assessment. IMO, Hanie is the one who shows no talent and Beck, while certainly no Don Strock, has the ability to come off the bench and manage a game - which is all I'm expecting here.

I watched Beck vs. Minnesota this summer identify the blitz, find the open receiver on the quick slant and watched that receiver take it to the house. From what I've seen of Hanie and Osweiler, I don't think either one can do that right now.

You say Beck has never won an NFL start, but what are we comparing him to? Two guys who also have never won an NFL start. Hanie's career record is 0-4 with a 50% completion rate, and a 3/9 TD/INT ratio. Beck is 0-7 with a 58.6% completion rate and a 3/7 TD/INT ratio.

Hanie has more athleticism and Osweiler is probably more athletic than both but, statistically, both in real NFL competition and in this year's pre-season, Beck has the better numbers.

Be embarrassed all you want but I still contend Beck is an upgrade to Hanie, both in experience and in performance. Would I want him in there over Manning? Hell, no. But if Manning had to sit out a half or a couple of weeks, I'd feel better with Beck at the helm than I would Hanie. I'd feel even better with half the #2 QBs in the league than either but that's not the issue.

The tape doesn't lie. Last year when Beck went out there he was scared to throw the ball past 10 yards. You can cite completion percentages all you want but playing in the NFL isn't just about numbers, it's about results that lead your team to a win. Beck would only dump off and throw short routes to the point you spend the whole game waiting for the kill shots but they never came. Beck was given up on by the coach who drafted him not once, but twice. The Shanahans who had Beck evaluated as a first round talent gave up on him. Big plays are a MUST to win in the NFL. When you can't throw past 10 yards in the NFL you allow the safeties to play up and it will cost you the game. Beck is awful.

The reason I can give Hanie somewhat of a pass for his team's failures is that his offensive line was atrocious and he had no WRs. That entire offense revolved around Cutler's ability to make impossible throws in 2 WR sets due to max protection schemes.