PDA

View Full Version : Fourth-and-Short: A Tale of Two Quarterbacks

MOtorboat
10-02-2012, 04:13 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/38624/4th-and-short-a-tale-of-two-quarterbacks

Fourth-and-Short: A Tale of Two Quarterbacks
By Bill Barnwell on October 2, 2012 10:45 AM ET

After consecutive losses to the Falcons and Texans in Weeks 2 and 3, the buzzards began to surround Peyton Manning. His statistics — 7.1 yards per attempt with a 60 percent completion percentage — were pedestrian. His shocking three-interceptions-to-the-Falcons game lurked as a sign of how much Manning had lost, an opinion seemingly confirmed when a veteran scout told the NFL Network's Albert Breer, "Peyton Manning can't throw the ball anymore."

And then Peyton went 30-for-38 for 338 yards with three touchdowns and no picks against the Raiders, so all was well with the world. Right?

Those two extremes don't seem like great representations of Manning, and I wanted to take a closer look at the specific facets of his game and where he might be struggling. So I went back and watched every pass Manning threw during his games against Houston and Oakland to get a better idea of where Manning and his offense were. From what I saw, Peyton Manning can certainly throw the ball. He just can't throw the ball like he's Peyton Manning.

Buff
10-02-2012, 04:21 PM
In related Grantland news, Bill Simmons went back on his Manning/Bronco criticism a little bit yesterday. Said he expects them to be a team that can hang with anybody.

MOtorboat
10-02-2012, 04:24 PM
In related Grantland news, Bill Simmons went back on his Manning/Bronco criticism a little bit yesterday. Said he expects them to be a team that can hang with anybody.

He hates Manning. He'll go back and forth on it all year. If the Pats beat the Broncos by a significant amount, he'll flip-flop again. If its close, or the Broncos win, he'll stay where he's at...

But, I'll reiterate why I like Simmons, because he's a fan, and he admits it.