PDA

View Full Version : Torain a veteran on rehab routine

Lonestar
08-09-2009, 04:57 AM
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/09/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Broncos running back Ryan Torain may be in just his second NFL season, but when it comes to fighting back from injuries he's a Ph.D. And if there is anyone who could advise the Broncos who are working their way through daily treatments, like wide receiver Brandon Marshall, it is Torain.

Torain, who will turn 23 on Monday, has spent much of the last two years — his last season at Arizona State and his rookie season with the Broncos — recovering from foot, elbow and knee injuries. Torain tore his anterior cruciate ligament Nov. 6 against Cleveland, just his second game back after missing the first seven regular-season games with a fracture just above his left elbow and some ligament damage.

"And if you let it, it will drive you crazy," Torain said. "It has been a long, long time for me, that's for sure, but for everybody coming back from something, I know what I'd tell them."

Torain's first rule was to stay engaged with his teammates. Despite not practicing or playing, he tried to spend as much time in the locker room or weight room with his teammates as he could.

Sometimes, because players are getting treatment for their injuries when the other players are practicing or going to meetings, it's easy for injured players to drift away.

"And you can get out of the loop a little bit because of treatment and all that, but if you get out of the loop too far you're going to lose your mind," Torain said. "You've got a lot of time, you've got a lot of time to think, so the little man in your head can talk you out of what you should do. You've got to be mentally strong.

"I wanted to be around it. It kept me mentally calm, mentally focused, mentally in shape. That was the difference."

It's why, he said, he's been able to compete for carries so far and get ready to work in a new offense.

Roster move.

The Broncos formally turned in rookie running back Knowshon Moreno's new five-year contract to the league office Saturday.

To make room for Moreno on the team's roster, the Broncos moved defensive lineman J'Vonne Parker to reserve/injured. That leaves the Broncos' roster at 80 players as they head into their first preseason game Friday night in San Francisco.

Rosters must be trimmed to 75 players by Sept. 1 and go to 53 players by Sept. 5.

Injuries.

Defensive linemen Rulon Davis (knee) and Nic Clemons (knee) are closing in on returning to practice. Clemons, who has appeared with the second-team defense, has been on the field of late with an orange — noncontact — jersey.

Broncos linebacker Wesley Woodyard, who left Friday's practice after removing his knee brace, may be given some time off. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has included Woodyard with a group of players who had offseason surgeries.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Practice schedule
The Broncos had the day off Saturday and will practice once today — at 2:30 p.m. — at their Dove Valley complex. Gates open an hour before practice, and parking is free. Monday morning, the team will practice at Invesco Field at Mile High, but that practice is not open to the public. The team has canceled its Monday afternoon practice at Dove Valley that was scheduled to begin at 5:30.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13023752?source=rss

SoCalImport
08-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Frank Gore had more than one season ending injury at Miami. I thought He'd never realize his potential. Now look at him.

It can happen.

I just won't get my hopes up for Torain being a factor until He sticks around long enough to become one.

MOtorboat
08-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Frank Gore had more than one season ending injury at Miami. I thought He'd never realize his potential. Now look at him.

It can happen.

I just won't get my hopes up for Torain being a factor until He sticks around long enough to become one.

I think Moreno's presence (barring injury) is going to end that possibility for Torain here in Denver. I don't think he's much more than a La'Ron McClain role, although he's not quite the same type of back as McClain.

rcsodak
08-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I think Moreno's presence (barring injury) is going to end that possibility for Torain here in Denver. I don't think he's much more than a La'Ron McClain role, although he's not quite the same type of back as McClain.

PUP or PS.
They'll keep 5.

Moreno sure thing
Hillis sure thing
Buckhalter sure thing

That leaves 2 of the remaining stable