PDA

View Full Version : can someone please explain to me why leonard is returning kicks?

hotcarl
10-01-2012, 12:44 PM
he sucks at it and is slow, please explain

NOW

Davii
10-01-2012, 12:46 PM
He doesn't fumble or make stupid decisions to run it out of the end zone when he should let it go.

hotcarl
10-01-2012, 12:52 PM
He doesn't fumble or make stupid decisions to run it out of the end zone when he should let it go.

that is a horrible answer and begs the question: why is he even on our team if he sucks this bad, as you freely acknowledge?

BroncoJoe
10-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Because.

Next?

slim
10-01-2012, 01:03 PM
he gives us the best chance to win.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-01-2012, 01:06 PM
This morning, Sandy Clough said on the fan that the alternative would be Decker, which in Clough's opinion, would not be a good idea, based on the chance of injury to Decker.

Davii
10-01-2012, 01:17 PM
that is a horrible answer and begs the question: why is he even on our team if he sucks this bad, as you freely acknowledge?

Where did I say any such thing? Don't purport to speak for me, tia.

Dzone
10-01-2012, 01:19 PM
slow white guys have good hands

chazoe60
10-01-2012, 01:21 PM

Why do you say "our team"?

slim
10-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Unless you have an ultra-dynamice return man (like Hester or something), the best you can really hope for is that your return man doesn't **** it up.

weazel
10-01-2012, 01:31 PM
might as well put Tamme in there, he's got the best hands on the team.

slim
10-01-2012, 01:32 PM
might as well put Tamme in there, he's got the best hands on the team.

No, Jim Leonhard does.

chazoe60
10-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Let's put Manning back there.

broncofaninfla
10-01-2012, 01:37 PM
I'd like to see Hillman get a shot at punts.

shank
10-01-2012, 01:39 PM
i'd like to see bolden back there. with his speed, if he can find the seem he could be gone. you know they tried him there early, he must have made some stupid decisions or dropped a lot of balls.

chazoe60
10-01-2012, 01:41 PM
i'd like to see bolden back there. with his speed, if he can find the seem he could be gone. you know they tried him there early, he must have made some stupid decisions or dropped a lot of balls.

Catching punts is pretty hard. I would like to think guys like Hillman and Bolden are working on it in practice.

slim
10-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Catching punts is pretty hard. I would like to think guys like Hillman and Bolden are working on it in practice.

It's not that hard. I used to do it all the time.

Sincerely,

Douche bag former high school star that is still living in the past.

hotcarl
10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Where did I say any such thing? Don't purport to speak for me, tia.

you said he sucks and is slow

hotcarl
10-01-2012, 02:13 PM
when is the last time you saw us run a fake return? the play calling sucks.

chazoe60
10-01-2012, 02:24 PM
when is the last time you saw us run a fake return? the play calling sucks.

Every time leonard goes back there it's a fake return.

hotcarl
10-01-2012, 02:26 PM
lets get someone in there that can run the option return game a little better, manning wouldnt be horrible imo

Simple Jaded
10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
As long as he doesn't field the ball from the 1" line with 2:00 left in a 6 point game I think the Broncos can live with Leonard until they can find a long term weapon. Is Leonard ideal? Hardly, but the PRer position was not very high on their list of priorities in free agency for obvious reasons.......

G_Money
10-01-2012, 02:43 PM
As was said earlier, Jim has good hands and doesn't do stupid things. Bolden runs back kickoffs because with a running start and his vision/speed he can be a bad man, but catching punts in traffic is a different skill. He may not have that skill.

And if Decker is too scared to run over the middle without sliding then PR duty may not be his thing. We also can't afford to lose him. If Leonhard gets starting duty at some point with Q down for the year, then we'll have to try someone else back there, but right now his ability to make a catch in traffic and not run backward 10 years for no apparent reason is fine. He's not a weapon, but he isn't a liability either.

~G

TXBRONC
10-01-2012, 03:18 PM

Yep.

It sure would be nice to find someone who could not field the punts properly but could also make some plays.

Davii
10-01-2012, 03:20 PM
you said he sucks and is slow

Nah, that was you. I said you suck and are slow, I can see where you would get confused.

TXBRONC
10-01-2012, 03:24 PM
As was said earlier, Jim has good hands and doesn't do stupid things. Bolden runs back kickoffs because with a running start and his vision/speed he can be a bad man, but catching punts in traffic is a different skill. He may not have that skill.

And if Decker is too scared to run over the middle without sliding then PR duty may not be his thing. We also can't afford to lose him. If Leonhard gets starting duty at some point with Q down for the year, then we'll have to try someone else back there, but right now his ability to make a catch in traffic and not run backward 10 years for no apparent reason is fine. He's not a weapon, but he isn't a liability either.

~G

Holy molly if Jim is keep us from losing 10 years then he's doing a hell of a lot better than I originally thought. :shocked:

Dzone
10-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Bolden is the answer there. Eventually. For now, we get Leonhard

Jsteve01
10-01-2012, 03:43 PM

Sincerely,

Douche bag former high school star that is still living in the past. bwahahahahaha. I was going to roast you until I saw your sig. Well done sir

Dzone
10-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Decker could become the first punt returner to slide to avoid contact.

Nomad
10-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Sincerely,

Douche bag former high school star that is still living in the past.

20 yrs later.......Still wearing his varsity letterman's jacket around town:D

ShaneFalco
10-01-2012, 06:08 PM
ya wtf, didnt omar boldin return one for a td in preseason?

Buff
10-01-2012, 06:51 PM

I know he has had limited reps - but has Bolden done anything positive yet this season? All I can remember are a couple of bad kick returns and a dumb penalty on punt coverage. Very underwhelmed by him so far.

If it's between Bolden and Leonard I'll take Leonard.

tubby
10-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Because PFM

Army Bronco
10-01-2012, 09:53 PM
ya wtf, didnt omar boldin return one for a td in preseason? I think it was a kick off.

sneakers
10-01-2012, 11:09 PM
He was very good returning kicks in college, and the only reason he made an NFL roster was his return ability.

FanInAZ
10-01-2012, 11:59 PM
I remember getting so upset when Vance Johnson would fair catch every punt he fielded no matter how much space he had to return it. If the 49ers would have had Johnson fielding their punts last season, they would have gone to the SB. It’s not just a matter of fielding the punts cleanly, but that vicious hits occur on special teams at a far greater frequency then on plays from scrimmage. This not only leads to a greater risk of injury, but a greater risk of fumbling the football if you’re not carrying it correctly.

Depending upon who you have on the roster, who returns the ball for your special teams can often be a tradeoff between who’s most likely to win the game on 1 play and who’s least likely to lose the game on 1 play. Yes, turnover on offense CAN kill you as well, especially IF they occur in your own territory. However, turnovers on special teams almost WILL kill you every time because they almost ALWAYS occur in your own territory.

TimHippo
10-02-2012, 09:03 PM
he sucks at it and is slow, please explain

NOW

Why do you think he is slow?

"The turning point came before his senior year of high school, at the University of Wisconsin football camp. Leonhard ran a 4.4-second 40-yard dash, prompting Barry Alvarez, then the Badgers’ coach, to ask him to run again. After Leonhard ran another 4.4, he said, “I knew that I belonged at that level.”"

"Athleticism rendered his size irrelevant. Leonhard first dunked as a high school freshman, and he won two dunk contests against his Wisconsin teammates, once defeating a player a foot taller."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/sports/football/20jets.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Simple Jaded
10-02-2012, 09:21 PM
I remember getting so upset when Vance Johnson would fair catch every punt he fielded no matter how much space he had to return it. If the 49ers would have had Johnson fielding their punts last season, they would have gone to the SB. It’s not just a matter of fielding the punts cleanly, but that vicious hits occur on special teams at a far greater frequency then on plays from scrimmage. This not only leads to a greater risk of injury, but a greater risk of fumbling the football if you’re not carrying it correctly.

Depending upon who you have on the roster, who returns the ball for your special teams can often be a tradeoff between who’s most likely to win the game on 1 play and who’s least likely to lose the game on 1 play. Yes, turnover on offense CAN kill you as well, especially IF they occur in your own territory. However, turnovers on special teams almost WILL kill you every time because they almost ALWAYS occur in your own territory.

Vance Johnson would signal fair catch before they hiked the ball.......

HORSEPOWER 56
10-02-2012, 09:53 PM
For the 1000th time, both Hillman and Bolden were given ample opportunities to return punts in training camp. They averaged 2 muffs per practice. They just flat out suck shit at fielding punts. Squid (hence why he's no longer here), Willis, and Caldwell also got reps at PR and none of them were worth a shit because in order to be a good returner you have to FIELD THE DAMNED BALL FIRST... Bolden returns kickoffs because if he muffs a kickoff, it goes out of the endzone 99% of the time so no harm, no foul.

Leonhard and Decker are the only two guys the coaching staff trusts back there and Decker is a starter. Leonhard is going to be our punt returner until someone unseats him, which probably won't happen this year...

Dzone
10-03-2012, 12:38 AM
He has deceptive speed. He just looks slow. He's actually about to go Devin Hester because everyone thinks he is slow. When Leonhard busts one for 80 yards, people wont be bitchin anymore

Chef Zambini
10-03-2012, 02:55 AM
Unless you have an ultra-dynamice return man (like Hester or something), the best you can really hope for is that your return man doesn't **** it up.I respectfully disagree.
a 53 man roster of professional football athletes, and the standard is dont screw-up?
Sorry, I have to have higher expectations than that !
our special teams coach should be identifying and training our best at the position, and helping that individual with techmique while massaging a great attitude !

DenBronx
10-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Our best return guy was Eddie Royal. If anything we should have kept him for kickoff and punt returns.

There, I said it.

Chef Zambini
10-03-2012, 11:45 AM
who is our ST coach?

HORSEPOWER 56
10-03-2012, 11:59 AM
who is our ST coach?

here, let me do what you could've done yourself for you...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/football-operations.html

slim
10-03-2012, 12:13 PM
I respectfully disagree.
a 53 man roster of professional football athletes, and the standard is dont screw-up?
our special teams coach should be identifying and training our best at the position, and helping that individual with techmique while massaging a great attitude !

Yes, and Jim Leonhard is apparently our best.

Don't **** it up, Jim.

weazel
10-03-2012, 12:50 PM
No, Jim Leonhard does.

this catch alone proves Tamme has better hands than our WR's
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/NFLN-Tamme-Makes-One-Handed-Grab/84f688f2-4d8a-4b90-a067-355484b18c33

tubby
10-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Our best return guy was Eddie Royal. If anything we should have kept him for kickoff and punt returns.

There, I said it.
He chose SD.

Pudge
10-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I now hate Eddie Royal now. Especially after his tweet saying he was glad no one believed the trade rumors and Denver was his home

Simple Jaded
10-04-2012, 12:42 AM
I now hate Eddie Royal now. Especially after his tweet saying he was glad no one believed the trade rumors and Denver was his home

Really, you hate Eddie Royal, really? He chose SD while Denver still had the worst passer in the league, how can you blame the guy?.......

Chef Zambini
10-04-2012, 03:12 AM
here, let me do what you could've done yourself for you...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/football-operations.htmlthats so gracious of you!
here is ano0ther article featuring a Q & A with jeff. the subject of kick RETURNS is almost completely ignored, an indication of the lack of focus.
when we kick, there is a focused effort, when the opponent kicks, it does not sound like much is being emphasised.

MOtorboat
10-04-2012, 08:15 AM
thats so gracious of you!
here is ano0ther article featuring a Q & A with jeff. the subject of kick RETURNS is almost completely ignored, an indication of the lack of focus.
when we kick, there is a focused effort, when the opponent kicks, it does not sound like much is being emphasised.

Why do you hate coaches so much Zam? We're you spurned by one as a child?

Jsteve01
10-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Eddie Royal is a very good kick returner, a marginal receiver and a fantastic human being. Why in the world you would hate him when he left because Tebow was the qb, is beyond me. Royal is just pure class.

BroncoNut
10-04-2012, 08:59 AM
I respectfully disagree.

I disrespectfully disagree. I think Slim is right on here. mistakes by the return man need to be considered. If you can't see that, yoiu don't know football

corzman69
10-04-2012, 02:22 PM
If Tebow was still our QB, or even Orton, I'm sure we would have the best possible player on the team to field punt returns. However, with Peyton Manning as our QB, it doesn't matter where we get the ball as long as we get the ball. Leonard will never muff a punt.

BroncoNut
10-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I feel comfortable with Leanard on returns.

NightTerror218
10-04-2012, 04:06 PM
he is returning because in the past (against the Pats) we had multi fumbles on special teams. Ball security.

Day1BroncoFan
10-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Because apparently that’s how Elway, Fox and company want it to be.

echobravo
10-04-2012, 04:49 PM
I feel comfortable with Leonard returning kicks. Two good reason for this are: 1, he does not muff the catch and 2, he does not surrender vast chunks of yard trying to make a big return. Am I the only one who remembers the Giants trotting out Phil McConkey to return kicks? Dude would catch anything, and even though he mostly signaled fair catch the yards gained by not letting the freaking ball hit the turf were not to be taken lightly. Would it be more fun to have a "flashy" return ace? Well, yeah. But turnovers on special teams are devastating to a team's chances to win. Keep Leonard returning kicks. At least I won't have to scream at my T.V. during punt returns, "upfield goddammit, upfield!"

hotcarl
10-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Well, whatever. I think he sucks and we could do better. You are all wrong. I'm going to have to ask ALL of you to get the **** out of my thread. What a****ing disgrace. Unbelievable TIA

Simple Jaded
10-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Leonard isn't actually returning kicks anyway.......

jhildebrand
10-04-2012, 10:59 PM
I know I am a big Knowshon critic but why not throw the guy back there. He already plays special teams. He is damn good in space catching the ball out of the backfield. Why not? :confused:

I guarandamntee you he wont run side to side like Leonard does.

Also, is HOTCARL a mod yet? :confused:

BroncoNut
10-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Well, whatever. I think he sucks and we could do better. You are all wrong. I'm going to have to ask ALL of you to get the **** out of my thread. What a****ing disgrace. Unbelievable TIA

well, I didn't want to bring this up, but I feel that I must. This may very well be the worst thread ever

Day1BroncoFan
10-05-2012, 12:17 PM
I know I am a big Knowshon critic but why not throw the guy back there. He already plays special teams. He is damn good in space catching the ball out of the backfield. Why not? :confused:

He would do his "dance and drop".

cmc0605
10-05-2012, 08:50 PM
I think Chef is spot on.

This is the NFL, a world containing some of the most athletic people on this planet, people who have trained all their life to be where they are now. And the coaches have plenty of tape on people from other football leagues like arena, Europe, etc in addition to free agents. Having a standard of "don't screw up" is simply unacceptable. This reminds me of when the golden number for Jake Plummer was how many games he could go without an interception, as if that had become the new standard for success. This is a "play to win" vs. "play not to lose" issue.

There has to be someone, either on this roster, or somewhere in the world, that can properly field a punt and give us at least some legitimate threat of good field position. Special teams is 1/3 of football, and it makes a tremendous difference whether you're starting at the 20 vs the 40, for example. There are 32 teams in the NFL and I don't see very many that play a guy who has a car tied to his ass fielding punts, and yet the probability of a fumble on a punt return is still extremely low. How many times does this happen a week across the league? Once or twice maybe? The safe approach is nice when you have the ball at the two minute warning and you're up by a score, but it's pretty weak to say the least for this discussion.

Simple Jaded
10-06-2012, 12:56 AM

Because running up the ass of a blocker that is moving that fast is extemely dangerous.......

jhildebrand
10-06-2012, 12:19 PM
He would do his "dance and drop".

Because running up the ass of a blocker that is moving that fast is extemely dangerous.......

And positive yards is a bad thing? :confused: Leonard runs side to side...every time!

Fumble issues would be my only concern.

Ravage!!!
10-06-2012, 12:28 PM

and that's HUGE on punt returns.

Day1BroncoFan
10-06-2012, 02:58 PM
And positive yards is a bad thing? :confused: Leonard runs side to side...every time!

What do you think I meant by drop? Drop as in drop the ball.

Tellway
10-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Here the dealio

Possession is the priority

He is the best at possession

We are cool with wearing down their defense with Manning

Remember our D goes right back on the field after a punt return

So the formula is to make sure Manning has the reins wearing down the opppnents D

Thank me later bro

chazoe60
10-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Holy shit, a Tellway sighting on BF? Awesome.

jhildebrand
10-06-2012, 06:49 PM
What do you think I meant by drop? Drop as in drop the ball.

My apologies. I read that to mean he would do his soultrain rendtion for a couple of seconds than dive to the turf to avoid contact i.e. pull a Decker. That was my own assessment of the guy coloring your post. My bad.

Simple Jaded
10-06-2012, 08:37 PM

I was being facetious, but my basic point was Moreno doesn't set up his blocks well.......I mean at all.......