PDA

View Full Version : Mark Kiszla: Denver Broncos can battle Tom Brady much better now

Denver Native (Carol)
10-01-2012, 12:09 PM
There is a basic reason Peyton Manning is the quarterback of the Broncos and Tim Tebow is not. His name is Tom Brady.

The NFL is a team game in name only. Quarterbacks rule the league.

These scores just in:

Manning 37, Oakland 6. After four consecutive losses on home turf to the hated Raiders, the rout felt good, didn't it?

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_21669349/mark-kiszla-denver-broncos-can-battle-tom-brady

Northman
10-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Well, i would hope our goals are set higher than just Brady. And suffice to say i think in the past Brady and Pats have had the upper hand on Peyton if recall correctly. While i think Peyton gives us a better chance to defeat a team like the Pats its never a given considering the history there.

underrated29
10-01-2012, 01:08 PM
As long as we keep wilfork from collapsing the pocket we will be alright. That is the key to this game for the broncos. If we can keep the DTs from breaking it down we will be fine. This game imo is won in the trenches. We must keep manning up, and bring pressure on tom.

BroncoJoe
10-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Actually, Manning has won 5 of the last 6 between them.

The Broncos have won 6 out of the last 9.

Northman
10-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Actually, Manning has won 5 of the last 6 between them.

What is the alltime record between the two the matchups? I think the Pats have the edge.

*Edit* looked it up. The Pats are 8-5 vs the Colts since 2001. I new they had the edge and wasnt going mental.

The Broncos have won 6 out of the last 9.

Unfortuantely, most of those have come during the Shanny era.

hotcarl
10-01-2012, 02:24 PM
i dont understand why they didnt just trade tebow for brady if that's who they really wanted. trading manning for him seems like a wash imo. if you are going to trade for him send hanie or someone else we dont need. manning is the future, brady is second hand smoke... imo

BroncoJoe
10-01-2012, 02:38 PM
What is the alltime record between the two the matchups? I think the Pats have the edge.

*Edit* looked it up. The Pats are 8-5 vs the Colts since 2001. I new they had the edge and wasnt going mental.

Tell me what you've done lately... Who cares about 10+ years ago.

Unfortuantely, most of those have come during the Shanny era.

Stop raining on the parade. Are you saying we're going to lose? We have no chance?

Northman
10-01-2012, 02:41 PM

I was talking about alltime when i mentioned it. If you dont care why respond to my post?

Stop raining on the parade. Are you saying we're going to lose? We have no chance?

Where did i even say that? Drama much?

BroncoJoe
10-01-2012, 02:43 PM
I was talking about alltime when i mentioned it. If you dont care why respond to my post?

Where did i even say that? Drama much?

Take a chill pill, North. Something up your ass today?

Simple Jaded
10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
There are many, many reasons that Manning is the Broncos QB and Tebow is not.

Actually, there are many, many reasons that Tebow is not the QB and only one reason Manning is.......

Northman
10-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Take a chill pill, North. Something up your ass today?

Must be, i thought you were bitching to be bitching. If not, my apologies.

Poet
10-01-2012, 03:00 PM
If their tight ends are still banged up and you guys can contain stop their new found running game, you will be just fine.

BroncoJoe
10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
If their tight ends are still banged up and you guys can contain stop their new found running game, you will be just fine.

Not bitching - just pointing out that Peyton has done very well against the Pats lately, and the Broncos historically (save the playoff game last year) have also faired well against the Pats. I like our chances.

Ravage!!!
10-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Yeah.. IF. I would LOVE to play the Patriots while Hernandez is out..but knowing our luck we'll be the team to get them right as he comes back into the lineup.

Now before the season started, I knew this six game stretch was going to be brutal, and pretty much had counted the NE game out. But with Hernandez out of their lineup, I actually think we have a good chance and feel we could steal a win.

Nomad
10-01-2012, 06:14 PM
As long as we keep wilfork from collapsing the pocket we will be alright. That is the key to this game for the broncos. If we can keep the DTs from breaking it down we will be fine. This game imo is won in the trenches. We must keep manning up, and bring pressure on tom.

Pats did a really good job against Buffalo yesterday. I was sitting eating lunch and the Bills were up by 14 or 21 and then next thing you know it, it's 28-21 Pats. I figure this game will be a 31-28 game hopefully the BRONCOS are on the winning side.

CrazyHorse
10-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Our pass rush is better than theirs and should be the difference maker. I'd like to see pressure up the middle instead of just edge rushing.

Dapper Dan
10-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Hmm. I wonder if there's a former Patriots Center that has experience that could come in handy.

UnderArmour
10-02-2012, 06:51 AM
I'm still worried how we're going to cover Gronk, Welker, and Lloyd. We don't have a premier safety like Baltimore or Arizona to devote to Gronk and he'll take double coverage. Hopefully Manning is able to to throw up the points he did in years past against New England to take care of that.

Northman
10-02-2012, 07:05 AM
First thing is Denver needs to take Ridley out of the equation. Cant let him run like he has so far this year. Shut him down like we did McFadden and then go from there.

NEPatriots
10-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Manning didn't get his first win against Brady until 2005 and 2006 when the Patriots had stripped their offense of virtually all of their weapons before they reloaded and went back to making Manning a victim during the 2007 undefeated season.
I see in your Patriots v Colts comparison you're also forgetting that the Colts beating the Patriots in 2008 was in the year that Brady was out with his knee injury and then when Manning won again in 2009 it was when Brady was still rehabilitating his injury. He was missing most practices for the entire year and getting back into form.

So if you're going to count the years that Brady either wasn't playing or wasn't coming off a year lay off with an injury that most thought would end his career, yeah, Manning has won a few games. If you look at it objectively, though, Brady and Belichick have had Mannings number since the beginning.

TXBRONC
10-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Manning didn't get his first win against Brady until 2005 and 2006 when the Patriots had stripped their offense of virtually all of their weapons before they reloaded and went back to making Manning a victim during the 2007 undefeated season.
I see in your Patriots v Colts comparison you're also forgetting that the Colts beating the Patriots in 2008 was in the year that Brady was out with his knee injury and then when Manning won again in 2009 it was when Brady was still rehabilitating his injury. He was missing most practices for the entire year and getting back into form.

So if you're going to count the years that Brady either wasn't playing or wasn't coming off a year lay off with an injury that most thought would end his career, yeah, Manning has won a few games. If you look at it objectively, though, Brady and Belichick have had Mannings number since the beginning.

What objective? Denver has had the Patriots number for three decades.

CoachChaz
10-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Actually...they've had the Colts number. Manning doesnt play for the Colts anymore.

MOtorboat
10-02-2012, 12:37 PM

Manning is 4-7 against Brady. Not sure I'd call that "having someone's number," unless I'm an idiot troll, and oh...wait...he is an idiot troll? Oh.

Chef Zambini
10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
HISTORY HAS zero bearing on the upcoming game, far too many variables.
My prediction for the season was 10-6, NE was one of the six.
I would like to be wrong, so far, we have won and lost the games I expected.
shutting down thew JMCD offense would bring me great joy !

Chillez
10-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Manning vs. Brady should be epic.

Ravage!!!
10-02-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm still worried how we're going to cover Gronk, Welker, and Lloyd. We don't have a premier safety like Baltimore or Arizona to devote to Gronk and he'll take double coverage. Hopefully Manning is able to to throw up the points he did in years past against New England to take care of that.

Lloyd has pretty much been nothing to fear. Welker has always been a difficult match-up for anyone, and of course, Gronk...but Gronk hasn't been much at all without Hernandez in the line-up. With their OL being as it is, they will have to keep Gronk in more often to protect Brady. If we keep their run game at a check as we have every other team we've played against so far, then our pass rush is on.

I don't think the Patriots have the weapons that Atlanta or Houston has.

BroncoJoe
10-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Sounds like a lot of excuses.

Ravage!!!
10-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Wow.. and if you don't want to count when the moon was in the wrong stage, or the wind was blowing from the west, or when oranges weren't perfectly ripe, or when gas prices had taken a slight dip, or when Belicheck's fingernails hadn't been clipped.... and if you want to count the times that Brady wore the wrong underwear, or when Manning got a better turkey sandwich prior to the game, or when the sky was partly cloudy, or if you want to count when the humidity was over 70%, or when Tom didn't get a perfect shave that week....

But if you want to look at it objectively......

Poet
10-02-2012, 06:16 PM
The Patriots defense had Manning's number. Then they changed the rules and the enforcement of them were you couldn't throw a WR down at the line of scrimmage.

Suddenly....more victories for Peyton Manning.

In all reality it's about even in recent years. It will be a great game played by two of the greatest QB's to ever do it.

BroncoJoe
10-02-2012, 06:46 PM
The Patriots defense had Manning's number. Then they changed the rules and the enforcement of them were you couldn't throw a WR down at the line of scrimmage.

Suddenly....more victories for Peyton Manning.

In all reality it's about even in recent years. It will be a great game played by two of the greatest QB's to ever do it.

If you consider Manning has won the last 5 of 6 games even, I guess you're right... :confused:

Poet
10-02-2012, 06:56 PM
I remember that a lot of those games were weird and both QB's played great. I'm not one who much believes in a quarterback v. a quarterback.

BroncoJoe
10-02-2012, 07:57 PM
If you consider Manning has won the last 5 of 6 games even, I guess you're right... :confused:

My bad. The series is actually 5 of the last 8. I think...

Dzone
10-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Belichek is going with big backs and running the ball way more than in the past. He is daring people to go with small guys who can cover.