PDA

View Full Version : Walton broke his ankle

Dean
09-30-2012, 06:21 PM
According to Klis Walton broke his ankle. How good a pick up is Koppen, now.

camdisco24
09-30-2012, 06:24 PM
I feel bad for Walton, never want to see our guys get hurt... but Koppen looked awesome today.

underrated29
09-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Oh it was gross, just like kupers was last year. Twisted all sideways.

BigDaddyBronco
09-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Koppen did play well today. Great pickup by Elway an Co.

Dean
09-30-2012, 06:37 PM
It is a bitter pill to swallow for Walton. His improvement from last year to this is significant. However, I can't help thinking that this may be addition by subtraction.

CrazyHorse
09-30-2012, 06:41 PM
May be a blessing in disguised. Brooking and Koppen outplayed Mays and Walton. Can't wait to get Kuper back.

nevcraw
09-30-2012, 06:54 PM
koppen signing was huge!

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Denver Broncos center J.D. Walton suffered a broken ankle late in the second quarter and will likely miss the rest of the season.

Walton was blocking out front of a run by Lance Ball when the center was inadvertently rolled up from behind by Oakland Raiders defensive end Jack Crawford.

Walton had played all but one snap in his first two seasons and 3 1/2 games into his third. He was replaced by veteran Dan Koppen, a long-time starter for the New England Patriots, who are the Broncos' opponent next week in Foxborough, Mass.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21667928/broncos-j-d-walton-suffers-broken-ankle-likely

tomjonesrocks
09-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Not sure I wouldn't have rather it been Beadles, but still this should be a replaceable loss.

silkamilkamonico
09-30-2012, 07:51 PM
How old is Koppen? He have enough left in the tank for a few more seasons?

Army Bronco
09-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Correct me if im wrong but didnt Denver run the ball much better with Koppen, or was it a result of our success in passing?

Dzone
09-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Sad for Walton but he's a weak link in the line.
Cool that Koppen's first full game back is at New England.
It will be tough stopping Vince Wolfork. Maybe Kuper can help

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2012, 08:19 PM
How old is Koppen? He have enough left in the tank for a few more seasons?

67 Koppen, Dan C 6-2 300 33 10 Boston College

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster.html

Fullback32
09-30-2012, 08:35 PM
So who backs up Koppen?

Dzone
09-30-2012, 08:39 PM
He definitely looks a lot more muscular than Walton.

Dzone
09-30-2012, 08:40 PM
So who backs up Koppen?
That guy from Baylor- Phillip Blake
edit-Ok, maybe not, I think he might be on IR

broncofaninfla
09-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Hate it for Beadles but the line clearly played better with him at center barking out assignments. From what I saw Koppen was a upgrade over Walton.

jhildebrand
09-30-2012, 09:03 PM
I had been wanting Koppen in the starting line up a while now. JD Walton isn't improved and he is too weak for C. I never would want it from injury though.

This team's protection and run blocking were much better with Koppen. Now let's hope he can shed some light on the Pats blocking schemes for Dumervil and Miller.

Cugel
09-30-2012, 09:07 PM
So who backs up Koppen?

The Broncos have several guys who can play C including Manny Ramirez. Hopefully, they get Kuper back in time for next week. The one thing about Koppen is that there's NO MOVE that Vince Wilfork can make that he hasn't seen in practice for Wilfork's entire career.

He had to block that guy the entire training camp, pre-season, and every day in practice. He ought to know how to block him by now! Advantage Broncos.

spikerman
09-30-2012, 09:12 PM
That guy from Baylor- Phillip Blake

I thought he was on IR too.

smith49
09-30-2012, 09:13 PM
I had been wanting Koppen in the starting line up a while now. JD Walton isn't improved and he is too weak for C. I never would want it from injury though.

This team's protection and run blocking were much better with Koppen. Now let's hope he can shed some light on the Pats blocking schemes for Dumervil and Miller.

Gotta agree with ya here j. He's been a disaster. The line took a big step forward with Koppen in the game.

rationalfan
09-30-2012, 09:24 PM

Wait, i thought the line's weak link was beadles? Or ramirez?

Walton might be the weakest link, I really don't know. But I don't see how Walton's injury can be a "good" thing. Manning's a creature of habit, pairing him with a new center feels like some minor doom. Good thing koppen's a vet.

Also, I had to laugh today when Simms was praising beadles' work. You read some posts on this board and it's like beadles is the worst lineman in the division.

Simple Jaded
09-30-2012, 09:54 PM

Walton might be the weakest link, I really don't know. But I don't see how Walton's injury can be a "good" thing. Manning's a creature of habit, pairing him with a new center feels like some minor doom. Good thing koppen's a vet.

Also, I had to laugh today when Simms was praising beadles' work. You read some posts on this board and it's like beadles is the worst lineman in the division.

I'm not sure I follow?.......

Simple Jaded
09-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Honestly, from what I hear Manning thinks Walton is a dingbat, Manning has had to call both adjustments a lot this year. Whether or not Koppen is an upgrade remains to be seen, he is a huge question mark too.

Hopefully this is another Casey Weigmann situation. Wonder what Weigmann is up to these days.......

Jsteve01
09-30-2012, 10:41 PM

Also, I had to laugh today when Simms was praising beadles' work. You read some posts on this board and it's like beadles is the worst lineman in the division.Walton and beadles both graded out as some of the worst the league at their respective positions last season. They've both improved but when you start at a steamingpile of poo. You can only go up

jhildebrand
09-30-2012, 10:46 PM
I thought he was on IR too.

He is. He injured his thumb. I think they put him on permanent IR for the season not the new one where you can bring them back.

jhildebrand
09-30-2012, 10:49 PM
If Kuper is back next week, our line will be in great shape. I would still lobby to move Beadles to RT but would be ok if they didn't. Once Kuper is back, Beadles will go back to being the weakest link on the line-which can be worked around. Up until today Beadles, Ramirez, and Walton were too much to overcome.

Dzone
09-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Walton and beadles both graded out as some of the worst the league at their respective positions last season. They've both improved but when you start at a steamingpile of poo. You can only go up
LMao! Beadles gave up more Quarterback pressures than any other player last year

bcbronc
10-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Jeebus, all Beadles does is open lanes to the endzone and he still can't get no respect. I'd say Manning's not the only one that's a creature of habit.

Never a good thing to have starters go to IR, no matter what the peanut gallery thinks about said player. Hopefully Walton's rehab will go well and he comes to camp next season bigger and stronger.

Poet
10-01-2012, 02:56 AM
The Broncos have several guys who can play C including Manny Ramirez. Hopefully, they get Kuper back in time for next week. The one thing about Koppen is that there's NO MOVE that Vince Wilfork can make that he hasn't seen in practice for Wilfork's entire career.

He had to block that guy the entire training camp, pre-season, and every day in practice. He ought to know how to block him by now! Advantage Broncos.

Works both ways and Wilfork is stronger. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilfork gets the upperhand on him.

Dean
10-01-2012, 06:22 AM
Maybe Beadles and the center will not be required to double team as much releasing one of them to the second level. If so, that would strengthen our run game.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Works both ways and Wilfork is stronger. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilfork gets the upperhand on him.

I'm just hoping Koppen can shed some light on the NE defensive schemes and be able to adjust protections accordingly. He knows what Bellicheat likes, hopefully we can use that to our advantage, just this once...

hotcarl
10-01-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm just hoping Koppen can shed some light on the NE defensive schemes and be able to adjust protections accordingly. He knows what Bellicheat likes, hopefully we can use that to our advantage, just this once...

My guess is he will tell everyone to call him "Bellicheat" on the sidelines to really grind his gears. Hopefully FoxY Brown talks to Studious Eric and they really stick it to McDummy and Tom Braidy and then when Paydirt Manhole gets his game on, Eric MacDecker can slide in for a CrutchFrown (touchdown)

rationalfan
10-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Honestly, from what I hear Manning thinks Walton is a dingbat, Manning has had to call both adjustments a lot this year. Whether or not Koppen is an upgrade remains to be seen, he is a huge question mark too.

you could be right, but i haven't read anything to confirm that. sources or speculation?