PDA

View Full Version : SI's Don Banks from Broncos camp

rationalfan
08-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Here's the link, enjoy:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/08/08/broncos.insider/index.html?eref=sihpT1

BroncoWave
08-08-2009, 03:47 PM
"Maybe we're watching Bill Belichick in Cleveland all over again. Maybe the team that will benefit most is the one that hires McDaniels after Denver."

I found this quote most interesting. If that were to happen, I hope that would make our spoiled rotten, whiny, unrealistic expectation fans happy. I honestly hope that doesn't happen though because it would make me sick of some of our "fans" forced McDaniels out of town and he went on to flourish somewhere else.

silkamilkamonico
08-08-2009, 04:07 PM
"Maybe we're watching Bill Belichick in Cleveland all over again. Maybe the team that will benefit most is the one that hires McDaniels after Denver."

I found this quote most interesting. If that were to happen, I hope that would make our spoiled rotten, whiny, unrealistic expectation fans happy. I honestly hope that doesn't happen though because it would make me sick of some of our "fans" forced McDaniels out of town and he went on to flourish somewhere else.

Couldn't agree more. Give the guy time to actually build something. Denver's been patchworking for years, and it's resulted in one measley playoff win.

SoCalImport
08-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Fans won't have nearly as much say as wins, Loses, and a playoff berth within 2 years will.
I'm with you though. McD needs to be given 3 years to make this a team that can go win the division and at least one playoff game.
If we don't see signs of improvement this year and especially next, then folks will seriously be calling for his head.

Dean
08-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Fans won't have nearly as much say as wins, Loses, and a playoff berth within 2 years will.
I'm with you though. McD needs to be given 3 years to make this a team that can go win the division and at least one playoff game.
If we don't see signs of improvement this year and especially next, then folks will seriously be calling for his head.

If there really are no signs of improvement after two years, wouldn't folks be calling for his head?

Tned
08-08-2009, 04:58 PM
An interesting quote from that article:

Having already visited three other camps of teams that feature rookie NFL head coaches -- the Chiefs, Colts and Rams -- I can unequivocally say that the Broncos' McDaniels is the only one of those four who is starting his program without the benefit of a honeymoon. Denver fans are still plenty riled up about how the Jay Cutler melodrama unfolded, and it seems to have robbed McDaniels of any grace period as he goes about remaking a Broncos team that had been stuck in the status quo under Mike Shanahan.

TXBRONC
08-08-2009, 05:05 PM
If there really are no signs of improvement after two years, whouldn't floks be calling for his head?

I think there is very little doubt if any that if he's not winning within three years there will be a lot of folks calling for his head.

BroncoWave
08-08-2009, 05:08 PM
An interesting quote from that article:

While he may not have a honeymoon from some fans, I feel that Bowlen is smart enough to give him a couple of years to build his product on the field. All I have to say is thank god none of the "fire McDaniels now" crowd is running this team.

Tned
08-08-2009, 05:11 PM
While he may not have a honeymoon from some fans, I feel that Bowlen is smart enough to give him a couple of years to build his product on the field. All I have to say is thank god none of the "fire McDaniels now" crowd is running this team.

Most new head coaches get 2-3 years before they are fired and most new head coaches ARE fired after that 2-3 year period. I think virtually all of us, even the people bashng McDaniels, in reality hope he is the exception and not the rule, and that he survives for longer than 3 years in Denver.

BroncoWave
08-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Most new head coaches get 2-3 years before they are fired and most new head coaches ARE fired after that 2-3 year period. I think virtually all of us, even the people bashng McDaniels, in reality hope he is the exception and not the rule, and that he survives for longer than 3 years in Denver.

Yes, but my point is that I don't think Banks is correct in saying that those other rookie coaches have a honeymoon period while McDaniels doesn't. When it comes to the people whose opinions actually matter (I.E. Bowlen, not the fans) I think he will given just as much of a chance to succeed (or "honeymoon period") as the other rookie coaches.

Tned
08-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes, but my point is that I don't think Banks is correct in saying that those other rookie coaches have a honeymoon period while McDaniels doesn't. When it comes to the people whose opinions actually matter (I.E. Bowlen, not the fans) I think he will given just as much of a chance to succeed (or "honeymoon period") as the other rookie coaches.

Yes and no. While I am sure the owner is more rational than the fans in terms of being realistic of the time frame it takes to win after making major changes to the coaching staff and team, the fact is that owners react to their fans reactions. Meaning, that if the coach doesn't get a honeymoon from the press and fans, than that will make it harder for Bowlen to give a coach the normal 2-3 years of losing, in hopes of it finally turning around.

Now, I am not saying that McDaniels won't get a fair shake from Bowlen. In fact, I think it will be moot, because I think that this team will be winning sooner rather than later, but I do think fan reaction plays into owner decisions.

D1g1tal j1m
08-08-2009, 05:32 PM
According to Cutler, us fans of the Broncos aren't rabid enough to care.

TXBRONC
08-08-2009, 05:40 PM

Actually he is right from the respect the other rookie head coaches are getting a "honeymoon period" from their fans. But that "honeymoon period" isn't the one that matters. It's the one that he gets from his boss that is important. Every owner not named Daniel Snyder or Jerry Jones is much a safer bet to give a new head coach about three years to develop a winning team.

BroncoWave
08-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Now, I am not saying that McDaniels won't get a fair shake from Bowlen. In fact, I think it will be moot, because I think that this team will be winning sooner rather than later, but I do think fan reaction plays into owner decisions.

Which would tie into my original point that if Bowlen really did fire McDaniels prematurely due to negative fan reaction, I would hope and pray that he tore it up at his next spot and that all those fans that helped to force him out were happy about being so demanding and irrational.

NameUsedBefore
08-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Because all of Belichick's other apprentices went and tore it up elsewhere after their first failure.

Tned
08-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Which would tie into my original point that if Bowlen really did fire McDaniels prematurely due to negative fan reaction, I would hope and pray that he tore it up at his next spot and that all those fans that helped to force him out were happy about being so demanding and irrational.

Just as I am sure there are segments of the fan base who hope that Shanny tears it up at his next stop, or that Cutler tears it up in Chicago.

Let's face it, fans by their nature are typically not rational and are very demanding. All anyone has to do is read message boards or listen to sports radio call-in shows to know that.

It's not a 'bad' thing, just a reality. The whole notion of being a 'fan' is more of an emotional than rational concept.

silkamilkamonico
08-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Because all of Belichick's other apprentices went and tore it up elsewhere after their first failure.

Thank God Bowlen didn't consider that when hiring, or we would have likely ended up with Spagnuola, who hasn't been exactly infatuatingly impressive in his short tenure with SL either.

NameUsedBefore
08-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Thank God Bowlen didn't consider that when hiring, or we would have likely ended up with Spagnuola, who hasn't been exactly infatuatingly impressive in his short tenure with SL either.

I think you mean he'll have to consider that when firing McDaniels.

TXBRONC
08-08-2009, 06:02 PM

I haven't anything that would suggest he's having with Rams fan base.

Lonestar
08-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I believe that Pat will allow him to coach for 3-4 years providing he is showing progress each year..

Most folks remember the past 15 years as a honeymoon, where in fact although we had a "Wining" record very few of them were pretty wins..

once the HOF talent retired things became pretty mediocre.. and you have to remember this division is not the toughest in the league.. especially the past few years.. very few playoff wins if any since OAK went to the SB almost a decade ago.. alot of top ten choices over the years also..

so when the division is weak and that accounts for almost 40% of your schedule.. and your winning what does it really mean your beating weak teams and in most cases other than against OAK we split with those weak sister each year.. the only reason we beat OAK like a cheap drum was mike had a woody for al..

sorry but I have not been a mike fan, since ashely was a bust..up till then I thought the guy walked on water.. that draft was the REAL eye opener for me..