PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to former Broncos Scout Greg Miller: NFL College Scouting – God makes a 1st round draft choice

Tned
09-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Ted Sundquist asked me to share this article that he posted in honor of former Denver Broncos scout Greg Miller who recently passed away.

NFL College Scouting – God makes a 1st round draft choice (http://www.thefootballeducator.com/nfl-scouting-god-makes-a-1st-round-draft-choice/)

From the outside looking in the National Football League appears to be nothing but “glitz and glamour” for the hard core fan. National telecasts loaded with former players, ex-coaches, and so called ‘NFL Insiders’ paint a picture of high dollar salaries and Armani suits. I can’t tell you the number of tweets, texts, and email messages I get from those willing to sell everything (even their souls) to be a part of it.

I get it, I truly do. But the face of the League is nowhere close to its foundation. The genesis of NFL clubs is player acquisition, and every high priced free agent or 1st round draft choice must pass through the eyes of evaluation from an NFL scout. Professional football scouts don’t do what they do for the glitz and glamour. They do it for love of game, for love of the players they help bring into the League.

The reality of NFL college scouting

Most scouts travel by car, stay in cheaper hotels, and are on the road upwards of two weeks at a time. They miss their sons ballgames, their daughters dance recitals. They’re up early in the morning to watch tape and typing reports late into the night. They eat whatever fast food is close to campus and at times put up with the run around of ungrateful college coaching staffs. THEY are the face of the NFL franchise, but a face that is never seen on Sundays...

Read Ted's full article here: http://www.thefootballeducator.com/nfl-scouting-god-makes-a-1st-round-draft-choice/

Davii
09-29-2012, 11:02 PM
That's a nice tribute from Ted. I don't believe I've ever heard of Mr. Miller previously, but I certainly don't doubt his impact on the Broncos. RIP Mr. Miller.

threefolddead
09-30-2012, 08:02 AM
That was a hell of an article. I appreciate you sharing that because I would have never known about him either. RIP