PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller fined $15,750 for roughing Matt Schaub

Denver Native (Carol)
09-28-2012, 04:51 PM
The punishment wasn’t nearly Joe Mays-severe, but still Broncos outside linebacker Von Miller got dinged pretty good by the league office.

Miller was fined $15,750 for a roughing the passer penalty he incurred during the Broncos’ 31-25 loss to the Houston Texans.

“No comment,” Miller said, adding he would appeal.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/09/28/von-miller-fined-15750-roughing-matt-schaub/16042/

If this keeps up, Pat Bowlen will have to mail all defensive player checks to the NFL, the NFL will take out what they want for which players they want, and send the rest back - if there is anything left to be sent back.:tsk:

BroncoWave
09-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Miller's hit was definitely late IIRC. No problem with that fine.

Superchop 7
09-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Very iffy imo.

topscribe
09-28-2012, 05:38 PM
That's quite a racket the NFL has going there . . .

Davii
09-28-2012, 06:59 PM
It was a later hit, but it was not helmet to helmet, nor did he slaughter him with a cheap shot... I think this fine is going too far. Goodell is getting too big for his britches....

HORSEPOWER 56
09-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Miller's hit may have been "late", but it wasn't illegal - meaning something that should've been fined, IMO. It was a clean hit. If they are fining guys over stuff like that then just about every team will have fined players. How long until they start fining guys for late hits out of bounds, chopblocks/crackbacks, facemasks, or hands to the face? Does this mean any personal foul merits a fine or just every time you get flagged for roughing the passer?

This is ludicrous. There's a reason it's a 15 yard penalty in the first place...

Denver Native (Carol)
09-28-2012, 07:10 PM
It was a later hit, but it was not helmet to helmet, nor did he slaughter him with a cheap shot... I think this fine is going too far. Goodell is getting too big for his britches....

Dang Davii - I think you have something there - Goodell needs the money to buy himself some bigger britches:eek::eek:

Chef Zambini
09-28-2012, 11:08 PM
now I know why we dont have any linebacj=kers or safeties, no-one can afford to play the position! do your job, do it too well and it will cost you money!
as in college fund money !
this is ludicrous ! what was the intent?
what is the history?
are they raISING MONEY TO PAY FOR THE CONCUSSION LAWSUITS?

Army Bronco
09-28-2012, 11:16 PM
They are fining players, coaches, not wanting to pay the refs. Next they will be fining fans at games for being too loud. Too many problems lately. Goodell needs to go!

threefolddead
09-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Who fines Goodell?... O wait...

Chef Zambini
09-28-2012, 11:24 PM
ITS NOT GOODELL THAT DECIDES WHO GETS FINED, HE IS NOT A PART OF THAT PROCESS stop blaming the guy for stuff he is not responsable for !
allowing the lock-out yes!
every big hit gets a fine, every penalty againsta QB carries a fine, that is NOT goodells doing.

Chef Zambini
09-28-2012, 11:27 PM
can we organize a bake sale to help pay the fines or does the NFL consider that a form of bounty payment?

Davii
09-28-2012, 11:42 PM
ITS NOT GOODELL THAT DECIDES WHO GETS FINED, HE IS NOT A PART OF THAT PROCESS stop blaming the guy for stuff he is not responsable for !
allowing the lock-out yes!
every big hit gets a fine, every penalty againsta QB carries a fine, that is NOT goodells doing.

I guess it's the fairy ******* godmother....

HORSEPOWER 56
09-29-2012, 01:07 AM
I guess it's the fairy ******* godmother....

Zam's half-right. From what I've read, there's a committee that reviews punishable plays each week and decides whether or not to hand out fines and suspensions. Goodell probably has veto power over them and obviously has the ability to reduce fines/suspensions if they are appealed, but he rarely does because it would undermine the purpose of whatever committee makes these rulings.

You don't honestly think Goodell has the time to sit down and watch all 16 games on Thursday/Sunday/Monday night trolling for fine-able offenses and handing out the decisions by Tuesday do you? Goodell isn't much more than a figurehead who has hundreds of people working for him to handle the day-to-day minutiae. Much like the President, he has some veto power, but he doesn't make the rules and he has pee-ons to decide all the other stuff. Sure, everything comes from the "office of the Commissioner", but he doesn't have a direct hand in most of it. Remember, he gets paid by the owners and serves at their leisure.

Dzone
09-29-2012, 01:22 AM
What about this brutal helmet to helmet launch into Peyton Manning?
Did this dirtbag get fined for this hit????
Property of Paul Cloud Photography.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/malibubluff/hit.jpg

MOtorboat
09-29-2012, 01:57 AM
That's a bullshit fine. It was a clean hit. But it was slightly (emphasis on "slightly") late. Fining him for it is out of control.

And, of course, this facade about player safety is absurd, at this point. If it was about player safety Danelle Ellerbe would be fined for giving Josh Cribbs a concussion on a helmet to helmet hit. But he won't be. And that's complete crap.

Army Bronco
09-29-2012, 02:03 AM
Is Goodell not the guy in charge? If he is then he is responsible. Leadership is tough, when you do something good you give the credit to your people, when its bad you take responsibility. Right now he has allowed things to happen that has changed the way the game is played. Good or bad he is responsible.