PDA

View Full Version : Deal made with refs !

Az Snake
09-26-2012, 11:05 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066725/article/nfl-referees-union-agree-to-end-lockout?module=HP11_headline_stack

:elefant::elefant::elefant:

cmc0605
09-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Thank God! Enough bad calls across the league.

Davii
09-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Hallelujah

Davii
09-26-2012, 11:19 PM
About damn time!

TXBRONC
09-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Not surprising considering the complete cluster _______ the scabs made of the last weekend's games.

underrated29
09-26-2012, 11:36 PM
FTR they are not technically scabs.
FTR goodell can go **** himself for making us go through all this. Pr1ck!
FTR- yay!

FanInAZ
09-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Not surprising considering the complete cluster _______ the scabs made of the last weekend's games.

Didn't hear, the league determined that the refs DID make the right call on Monday night. ;)

This deal has nothing to do with the league giving in to fan pressure because all of us fans have full confidence that the league's #1 concern in this situation is the integrity of the game. ;)

FanInAZ
09-26-2012, 11:43 PM
It's a close call, but AZ Snake's thread beat this 1 by about 1 minute.

Az Snake
09-26-2012, 11:56 PM
It's a close call, but AZ Snake's thread beat this 1 by about 1 minute.

Thanks but no biggie lol.

Main thing is that Real Zebras will be back on the field starting tomorrow night !
Union will vote Friday in Texas but it is a Done Deal.

:elefant:

Simple Jaded
09-27-2012, 01:35 AM
Awesome, now we can get back to complaining about the real refs.......

ShaneFalco
09-27-2012, 02:09 AM
finally people will stop holding von miller, ermmm maybe not... but it will be called!

FlyByU
09-27-2012, 04:28 AM
Best news I have heard in a long time.

Dzone
09-27-2012, 10:03 AM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/malibubluff/refs.jpg

Ravage!!!
09-27-2012, 10:15 AM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/malibubluff/refs.jpg

screw it. Go with replacement refs. All refs make bad calls, especially holding. If the scab refs blow a few holding calls, who cares? If they call fewer penalties, it will improve the game. After a couple weeks, nobody will know the difference.

:D

I keed I keed

TXBRONC
09-27-2012, 10:29 AM
FTR they are not technically scabs.
FTR goodell can go **** himself for making us go through all this. Pr1ck!
FTR- yay!

FTR neither were the replacement players in 80's yet that is what they were called. We called it "scab ball."

TXBRONC
09-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Yes the regular referees make mistakes because they are as human as anyone else but over all I would have them than the ones the NFL has been using.

Ravage!!!
09-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Yes the regular referees make mistakes because they are as human as anyone else but over all I would have them than the ones the NFL has been using.

Personally, I don't think its about the regular refs making mistakes. They are VERY good at their jobs. Peyton Manning is VERY good at QBing, but he makes mistakes. We've seen proof of just how good the regular refs are, despite the sprinkling of mistakes they make.

Dzone
09-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Damn,what happened? I thought the replacement refs were doing a damn good job.

Chef Zambini
09-27-2012, 11:51 AM
do you think the refs will get an announcement and a standing ovation when they take the field?
they should !

Dzone
09-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Yes, the refs will be getting a heros welcome...standing ovations for sure

Denver Native (Carol)
09-27-2012, 04:47 PM
from article:

Few understood when this replacement referee mess began how uniquely qualified the actual NFL officials were to do their jobs. Hochuli and other "zebras" were dismissed by many as "part-time" workers. This annoyed Hochuli to no end, as he spent hours upon hours over his 20-year NFL career studying for his three hours on the field. The idea that he showed up every Sunday, threw on the stripes, a whistle and controlled destinies was insulting to him. The "anyone can do this job" barb calls to mind an even more taken-for-granted group of "part-time" workers: teachers.

But like the resilient people who manage classrooms, the guys who manage NFL games are up late every night getting ready to supervise a rowdy bunch of younger people under difficult circumstances. The NFL officials will be back at work less than 24 hours after a deal was reached because Hochuli spent the lockout holding conference calls, giving quizzes on game situations, and cutting game film for his fellow referees. The lockout could have gone on for months, but Hochuli and company kept to their mantra: prepare, prepare, prepare.

Everyone knows the players practice plenty, but now the world knows how hard the referees practice. And just like practice pays off in the heat of the game – when a quarterback is poised enough to read through his progressions swiftly when the pass rush is closing in – it pays off for a referee when a hostile coach is absolutely sure a call has been blown.

full article - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--new-appreciation--replacement-refs-provide-a-glimpse-into-how-good-actual-nfl-officials-are.html

Day1BroncoFan
09-27-2012, 05:06 PM
They took my advice I see. :rockon:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-27-2012, 05:32 PM
What is really irritating is that it took a WRONG call which cost GB a win, to get this done in TWO DAYS. IMO, this COULD HAVE/SHOULD HAVE been done BEFORE the season started.

Northman
09-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Saw this tweet earlier today which had me laughing.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter) RT @LATimesfarmer (https://twitter.com/LATimesfarmer): Ed Hochuli told me as soon as he found out NFL deal was done, "I dropped down on the floor and started doing pushups."

Dzone
09-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Check it out. The ref who blew the call monday night looks to be ready to cash in on his new found fame.
http://larrybrownsports.com/football/lance-easley-club-fresno-photo/155738

Denver Native (Carol)
09-27-2012, 07:16 PM
League's arrogance and greed made situation far worse than it ever needed to be

The fight between the NFL and its officials didn't end in some swank New York City office late Wednesday night, when both parties reached a long-awaited agreement. It was over on Monday night in Seattle. It was done the moment Green Bay Packers cornerback M.D. Jennings intercepted a Hail Mary pass, only to learn that he was on the wrong end of the Seattle Seahawks' game-winning touchdown reception by wide receiver Golden Tate.

That play will forever define a lockout that never should have happened in the first place.

Anybody who has watched an NFL game this season now knows how important qualified officials are to the league. What's harder to figure out is why the owners and commissioner Roger Goodell were willing to risk their credibility to save a few bucks. This is a league that has been touting integrity for years in ways that sounded so convincing to the general public. But all that tough talk began to sound like cheap banter in just three weeks, which is how long it took for the owners to realize the severity of their mistake.

rest - good article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8430260/nfl-officials-lockout-the-league-credibility-damaged

FanInAZ
09-28-2012, 12:07 AM
FTR neither were the replacement players in 80's yet that is what they were called. We called it "scab ball."

We went to the SB XXII that year (1987).

spikerman
09-28-2012, 07:23 AM
We went to the SB XXII that year (1987).

Yeah, and the Broncos were up 10-0 when my memory blanked. I'm going to go ahead and assume our beloved Broncs went ahead and won the game.

Northman
09-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Yeah, and the Broncos were up 10-0 when my memory blanked. I'm going to go ahead and assume our beloved Broncs went ahead and won the game.

Dont get me started...... lol

FanInAZ
09-29-2012, 07:02 AM

:D Selective amnesia is a wonderful thing :D

Nomad
09-29-2012, 09:01 AM
I sure hope everyone likes Pete Morelli and crew.

spikerman
09-29-2012, 11:00 AM
I sure hope everyone likes Pete Morelli and crew.

I definitely like their replay guy. He's worked with me at a few officiating clinics. Good dude.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2012, 12:39 PM
The NFL will pay its 112 replacement officials for this weekend even though they are no longer working games.

The league said Friday it will pay $3,500 to referees and $3,000 to other officials, NFL.com reported.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8438214/the-nfl-pay-replacement-officials-weekend

Well - OK - that is quite a bit of money. 15 games this week - starting with Thursday night, so 15 head referees x $3,500 = $52,500, and 106 officials x $3,000 = $318,000, for a TOTAL OF $370,500. That is roughly $11,500 per owner just for this week's games. I am not going to do the math, but if this same dollar amount was the same for weeks 1-3, plus preseason games, if the new contract had been reached with the referees before the season started, would the owners have been "out of pocket" much more than they are now??????

Az Snake
09-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Quite a bit of money for us, yes. For the NFL; peanuts.

I'm sure that the combined season salary of all the refs is WAY less than just one owner's franchise player's pay.
Having the Real Zebras in there could be viewed as an insurance policy.

The likelihood of a very severe injury really frightened me while the replacement refs were in there.
Things were getting full tilt bozo !

spikerman
09-30-2012, 08:13 AM

Quite a bit of money for us, yes. For the NFL; peanuts.

I'm sure that the combined season salary of all the refs is WAY less than just one owner's franchise player's pay.
Having the Real Zebras in there could be viewed as an insurance policy.

The likelihood of a very severe injury really frightened me while the replacement refs were in there.
Things were getting full tilt bozo !

I think the games will be managed more efficiently now due to the regular guys' experience, but I'm not sure that the players are in any less danger from injury no matter who the officials are. Officials can punish acts after the fact, but there's not much they can do to prevent players from doing something stupid. Guys like Carol's son and the NFL guys have the experience to see tension building and they can talk to them to keep them from fighting, etc., but they don't have much of a way to stop most of the things that cause injuries.

Nomad
09-30-2012, 10:09 AM
I think the games will be managed more efficiently now due to the regular guys' experience, but I'm not sure that the players are in any less danger from injury no matter who the officials are. Officials can punish acts after the fact, but there's not much they can do to prevent players from doing something stupid. Guys like Carol's son and the NFL guys have the experience to see tension building and they can talk to them to keep them from fighting, etc., but they don't have much of a way to stop most of the things that cause injuries.

It's a collision sport. Watching the high school game yesterday and a few college games, refs are really trigger happy with the flags nowadays. I assume it's with all the new rules.

spikerman
09-30-2012, 11:43 AM
It's a collision sport. Watching the high school game yesterday and a few college games, refs are really trigger happy with the flags nowadays. I assume it's with all the new rules.

Well they're taught to err on the side of caution, but even if they are trigger happy, that won't stop injuries. Personally, I don't have a problem with the rules except for the nearly impossible to officiate college "blocking below the waist" rules. Carol, if you get a chance to ask him, I'd be curious to hear what your son thinks of the rule. I understand it, but it's VERY tough to officiate in my opinion.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Ten days after the "Inaccurate Reception" heard around the world, the replacement refs remain in the news.

In a fascinating interview set to air Thursday on Showtime's "Inside the NFL," replacement referee Wayne Elliott admits that his crew erred in calling a touchdown for the Seattle Seahawks.

"I'd probably call interception. I learned a rule by screwing up the rule," Elliott said via USA Today.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000069346/article/hail-mary-ref-i-learned-a-rule-by-screwing-up-the-rule?module=HP11_headline_stack