PDA

View Full Version : Information on some replacement refs

Denver Native (Carol)
09-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Earlier today, Drew Goodman and Scott Hastings were talking about this:

from article:

Mike Pereira: three NFL replacement refs were fired from Pac-12

Per his interview with the Mercury News, Pereira said three Pac-12 officials let go for poor performance have found their way into the NFL as replacement officials.

full article - http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/25/mike-pereira-three-nfl-replacement-refs-were-fired-from-pac-12/

AND

Replacement refs working in NFL were FIRED from Lingerie Football League, LFL commish says; 'The NFL has been exposed' by shoddy scab refs

A handful of the scab refs who have marred the NFL season with a series of blown calls are washouts from the Lingerie Football League, the underwear league said.

The bra-and-panty league said at least one crew of refs now working NFL games couldn't hack it on their all-girl gridiron and were fired.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/replacement-refs-working-nfl-fired-lingerie-football-league-report-article-1.1167796

Well guys and gals, I certainly feel much better knowing that the NFL did their homework when they locked out the referees. I am so glad that the NFL wanted to uphold the integrity of the NFL, and show nothing but respect to the coaches, players, and fans, when making the decisions they made.

:eek: :tsk: :rolleyes: :mad:

BroncoJoe
09-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Yep - lets keep blaming the messenger. KILL THE MESSENGER!!!!!

Northman
09-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Fired from the lingerie league....

Bhwhahahahahahahaha oh man, no wonder they suck so bad.

Dzone
09-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Lmao!!!! Omg!

camdisco24
09-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Wow... if true, that's embarrassing.... Come on owners!! Make a move or you're screwed!

Denver Native (Carol)
09-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Yep - lets keep blaming the messenger. KILL THE MESSENGER!!!!!

This is not blaming the messenger - the finger points directly at the powers to be in the NFL = owners.

The owners won't budge with the officials. They have no interest in providing pensions for part-time employees in this economy, so a $9 billion plus industry has become a laughingstock over the difference in roughly $3.5 million dollars.

That's $120,000 per team. Or roughly the signing bonus of a late-round draft pick who often fails to make the final cut.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/renck/ci_21631544/troy-e-renck-nfl-replacement-officials-joke-isnt

Denver Native (Carol)
09-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Negotiators for the NFL and the NFL Referees Association met until 2 a.m. ET Wednesday in an attempt to iron out their differences in a months-long lockout but did not reach a deal, a source said.

League owners are not willing to compromise further and differences remain on several issues, including pensions for the officials and the process by which the NFL evaluates referees, the source said.

The officials work about 36 hours a week -- nearly full-time -- and pension benefits have become an important issue to them. It would probably cost each team about $100,000 to settle the pension issue.

rest - with video - Chris Mortensen, Herm Edwards
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8426996/owners-budge-latest-talks-fail-produce-deal-source-says

Denver Native (Carol)
09-26-2012, 10:49 AM
It appears one issue was resolved.

The NFL and NFL Referees Association negotiated through Tuesday from 8:30 a.m. until 2 a.m. Wednesday, according to sources briefed on both sides' positions, and at least one breakthrough resulted.

The league and referees have agreed to create a developmental program as a compromise to the NFL's demand for the addition of 21 officials to the current contingent of 121 NFLRA members, per an NFLRA source. The pool of money for the existing officials also will remain the same.

During Tuesday's talks, the owners who have shown no inclination to budge on the referees' benefits issues became involved on a more detailed level in the negotiations, per an NFL source. The federal mediator is said to have kept things on track.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066367/article/nfl-nflra-come-to-agreement-on-issue-of-backup-officials?module=HP11_headline_stack

BroncoJoe
09-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Why can't the ref's go with a traditional 401k and end this madness? Pensions have largely gone the way of horse and buggy.

$9 billion industry aside, there are expenses. It's not like they're pocketing the entire $9 billion, and frankly I'm tired of the attitude lately that berates and shuns success.

I can only hope I'm thought of as a butthole someday.

slim
09-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Why can't the ref's go with a traditional 401k and end this madness? Pensions have largely gone the way of horse and buggy.

$9 billion industry aside, there are expenses. It's not like they're pocketing the entire $9 billion, and frankly I'm tired of the attitude lately that berates and shuns success.

We lost our defined benefit plan in the last year (in a thriving business, too). It's just not reasonable for part-time employees to ask for it (and maybe not even for full-time employees).

Denver Native (Carol)
09-26-2012, 11:02 AM

The referee pensions have been there since 1970. Possibly many companies are offering 401ks now, rather than pensions - but how many of these companies have converted pensions from their employees who have been there forever into 401ks.? The referees have stated, in regards to the pension, is for it to be retained for the "now" referees, and any new referees would be under a 401k.

slim
09-26-2012, 11:05 AM
The referee pensions have been there since 1970. Possibly many companies are offering 401ks now, rather than pensions - but how many of these companies have converted pensions from their employees who have been there forever into 401ks.? The referees have stated, in regards to the pension, is for it to be retained for the "now" referees, and any new referees would be under a 401k.

Nearly all companies have done this. There are very few pension plans like this left....almost none.

Ravage!!!
09-26-2012, 11:09 AM
The owners are not going to budge on the pensions. I'm still confused as to why the refs feel they should be GETTING pensions?? :confused:

BroncoJoe
09-26-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm just sick of all the anger toward the owners and ZERO toward the refs. They've got a sweet gig and I HIGHLY question the 36 hour/week figure stated above.

Even if they do work that many hours, let's spread their total hours over a 52 week year and see what we come up with. F'ing ridiculous.

/endrant

Fullback32
09-26-2012, 11:33 AM
It wasn't this ref was it? If so, all is forgiven.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/550603_10151177153542103_1285174160_n.jpg

smith49
09-26-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't have a link but according to Chris mortenson a deal is done. I don't know the details but it seems like maybe both sides gave a bit. M sure details will come out shortly.

slim
09-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't have a link but according to Chris mortenson a deal is done. I don't know the details but it seems like maybe both sides gave a bit. M sure details will come out shortly.

I am guessing the owners caved, just a guess based on the backlash from Monday night.

BroncoWave
09-26-2012, 11:42 AM
As angry as it made many fans, Monday night was the best possible thing that could have happened to end the ref lockout. I think the backlash was just too severe for the league to keep trotting the replacements out.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-26-2012, 12:34 PM
very interesting article, if accurate:

from article:

Pension plans became popular in the 60's and 70's when employees were working for a corporation for most of their careers. To reward these employees, companies gave lifetime monthly pension benefits to its employees. Starting in the 80's and continuing in the 90's, the trend switched to move away from these pension plans to 401(k) plans for several reasons:

Employees no longer worked their whole careers for one employer and wanted more portable benefits that 401(k) plans provide

Many employees did not appreciate the real value that these plans provide because receiving $x,xxx per month in retirement did not have the same tangible value of receiving $x,xxx per year in a 401(k) plan because $x,xxx paid in retirement seems so far away

full article - http://www.myfinancialawareness.com/Topics%20Financial/Pension%20Plans%20becoming%20Extinct.htm

Denver Native (Carol)
09-26-2012, 12:38 PM

By Mortensen:

The NFL and the NFL Referees Association made enough progress in negotiations Tuesday night that the possibility of the locked-out officials returning in time to work this week's games has been discussed, according to sources on both sides.

An agreement in principle is at hand, according to one source familiar to talks, although NFL owners have postured with a "no more compromise" stance.

Although league sources said it would take a week to get the locked-out officials on the field, the NFLRA says its 121 referees have been trained on the new rules implemented last season, have already passed physicals or are prepared to pass physicals immediately. New official game uniforms designed by Nike are "hardly an obstacle," according to a source.

article and video - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8427652/locked-nfl-referees-return-early-week-sources

smith49
09-26-2012, 01:41 PM
I am guessing the owners caved, just a guess based on the backlash from Monday night.

The only details Ive seen is that the refs agreed to let the nfl have some sort of supplemental refs that were trained and ready to be put into action based on merit, or something like that. Not sure of any other details.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Two days after a controversial call cost the Green Bay Packers a win, the NFL and the referees' union are reportedly nearing an end to a lockout that put replacement officials on the field since the start of the season.

According to several reports, the NFL and the union are close to a new deal that would allow the league's regular officials to return to work, possibly as early as this weekend. ESPN reported Wednesday that "an agreement in principle is at hand," and The New York Times reported that the sides "were closing in" on a way to end the impasse. ESPN cited unidentified sources from both sides; the Times cited a person briefed on the negotiations.

The NFL declined to confirm that a deal was imminent.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21633578/packers-seething-nfl-replacement-refs-take-heat