PDA

View Full Version : I need a suggestion

Zweems56
08-07-2009, 06:43 PM
I think world of warcraft has burned me out from video gaming. It was a great game, but all the time that I spent sitting around doing nothing between the tuesday, wednesday, and sunday night raids has left me flat. I need something to remind me that I love video games. I really used to love RPG's. I have a few games sitting in front of me right now that I like, but i just can't get into them. Street Fighter IV is a good game, I just dont have anyone to play with, and I can't stand the xbox online community for the most part. Halo 3 was a disappointment. Assassin's Creed isn't nearly as entertaining as it was hyped up to be. I've played through both Gears games as many times as I can bear. They're great, but I want something new. Modern Warfare was fun for a month, but its going stale. I've played through the orange box, and while all of it was entertaining, I'm not going to play through it again. I've played crysis for a few hours, but it was WAY overhyped for its graphics, and doesnt have enough content to keep me driven.

Now... I REALLY can't wait for Dragon Age: Origins to come out. It looks AWESOME! I need something with a great story for 360 or the PC. You all know what I mean.... Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Breath of Fire III, Vagrant Story. I need something on the PC or the 360 that's really going to suck me in and not let me go. Doesn't HAVE to be an RPG, I just need something with an awesome story. I can't get enough entertainment reading training camp news and notes every single day! :lol: Thanks for any and all help.

MasterShake
08-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Mass Effect is good and really epic. But it sounds like the game your looking for is Lost Odyssey. You can easily sink 50+ hours into that game. It spans 4 discs and has a good story and level up system. Its more of a Final Fantasy game than the last couple of Final Fantasies.

I was in the same rut as you until I found that game. I tried Blue Dragon but it could not hold my attention. So if you haven't played Mass Effect or Lost Odyssey I'd highly recommend those. I've played through Mass Effect 3 times now just to experience it with different classes and it plays really different each time.

Shazam!
08-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Good ones MS. Doesn't get much better than that.

Mass Effect plays like Star Wars- Kinights of the Old Republic, it's a massive game, complete with alien sex. If you played it now you'd be at perfect timing because the sequel is on it's way. ME is one of the greatest games of the decade.

Lost Odyssey (developed by the FF creator) is a throwback to classic RPGs. If you love traditional turn-based combat, ala games like Final Fantasy and Shadow Hearts, you won't be disappointed. It's very long, engaging, beautiful and has a great story. This will go down as one of the quietest, most unappreciated RPGs of all time.

Bioshock is a first person action/shooter game kind of similar to Half Life or Fallout 3. The sequel is on the way too. Very fun game.

Oh yeah. Fallout 3. Good first person RPG. I didn't like it though because it was more of an RPG than a FPS, and it was billed as a shooter in all the commercials I saw.

If you want something more action-y, Red Faction- Guerilla is a fun open world game like GTA, where destruction and chaos is the main course on the menu. Kind of like Mercenaries but 10x better. Awesome fun.

See my spot on review here-
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40031

Far Cry 2 is a beautiful open-world FPS with different playable characters, but it's repetitive. Solid game though with a lot to do.

There's always Grand Theft Auto 4 if you never played it.

I'm with you guys though, sometimes I get in a gaming rut too now and again.

NameUsedBefore
08-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I've recommended it before:

Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich.

Q9e0E45ipTs

Looks super cartoony and lame which is probably why many people don't give it a chance, but it's definitely in my Top-10 of games. It's in real-time but the frantic pace basically makes you play it in a stop-and-go fashion. Plenty of options as far as the characters go too (I played it a few times over when I got it just to experience all the different powers).

MasterShake
08-07-2009, 10:01 PM
MMORPGs suck the fun out of gaming. I played Final Fantasy XI for 2 years and I had a level 73 Paladin. I spent at least 3 hours a day waiting for a party then another 5 level grinding just to beat some dumb boss for a new piece of armor so I could do it all again. The social part was neat, but I hated the level grind that required a group. I was like, "Man, I wish I could just level up by myself" then remembered that they still made traditional RPG's to do just that. :lol:

LordTrychon
08-07-2009, 10:05 PM
MMORPGs suck the fun out of gaming. I played Final Fantasy XI for 2 years and I had a level 73 Paladin. I spent at least 3 hours a day waiting for a party then another 5 level grinding just to beat some dumb boss for a new piece of armor so I could do it all again. The social part was neat, but I hated the level grind that required a group. I was like, "Man, I wish I could just level up by myself" then remembered that they still made traditional RPG's to do just that. :lol:

I agree... until I play Star Wars The Old Republic. Then I will possibly disagree.

Though I enjoyed Age of Conan for some time.

NameUsedBefore
08-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Didn't want to say anything, but I've been playing WoW for the first time since July (some friends of mine that play it wanted back in and invited me). I can see where it gets addicting, but I haven't really let it happen. I tank with a warrior and think it's a good lot of fun (because I enjoy the challenge and responsibility of that role; my first was as a warlock and I hated it).

A few weeks ago I had a bad run because two people were screwing up the group for everyone and it really ruined the fun for me so I stopped playing for a week to cool off. At no time did I feel like I needed to go back in. I think if you reach that point the fun would start getting sucked out and then there really is no point. In my short time playing I have already witnessed too many people who take it too seriously and, really, you just can't play a game like that IMO.

LordTrychon
08-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Didn't want to say anything, but I've been playing WoW for the first time since July (some friends of mine that play it wanted back in and invited me). I can see where it gets addicting, but I haven't really let it happen. I tank with a warrior and think it's a good lot of fun (because I enjoy the challenge and responsibility of that role; my first was as a warlock and I hated it).

A few weeks ago I had a bad run because two people were screwing up the group for everyone and it really ruined the fun for me so I stopped playing for a week to cool off. At no time did I feel like I needed to go back in. I think if you reach that point the fun would start getting sucked out and then there really is no point. In my short time playing I have already witnessed too many people who take it too seriously and, really, you just can't play a game like that IMO.

I never played with more than one or two people... just on quests with a friend from work, and then occasionally with one or two others that I ran into... but I never got into the drama queen group dynamic.

NameUsedBefore
08-07-2009, 10:18 PM
All I do is run the instances in the game so I run into a lot of drama. Just as an example, the other day two guys were upsetting one another considerably. Eventually one of them got kicked and replaced and the guy blew a damn gasket over it. I tried to calm him down, dunno if I was successful, but he was so angry. I was like damn, dude, just quit and chill out for a bit, no game is fun if you're mad.

Zweems56
08-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Thats really the problem I ran into. The social aspect of MMORPG's is awesome, but the game is a lot of doing nothing (or doing boring things) until you raid. I used to raid consistently, and I was REALLY good at it. I was in a great guild (progression as well as personality) and I was in the top 2 night in and night out in damage done. I used to research my class, and do some ass kicking, but then i decided I needed to stop. Anyone thats stopped a MMO knows exactly what i'm talking about. Modern Warfare is a lot of fun, but if I'm playing with 40 other people, and none of them are talking to one another either about the game or about bullshit, I get disappointed. I went out tonight and picked up Mass Effect for the PC (i'm having a lot of trouble playing console games anymore) and The Witcher. I really just need to have something hold me over until the concentrated awesome that is DAO comes out.

Timmy!
08-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Shake beat me too it, Mass Effect FTW!

One of the best games I've played in years.

I also enjoyed Fallout 3, but if are looking for an epic story, Mass Effect is the way to go.

Zweems56
08-08-2009, 05:11 PM
I have fallout 3, but I was having some trouble getting into it. So far, Mass effect is just the cinematic experience and epic story that I was looking for. I had been looking at it and saying "aaaaaaahhhh, maybe later" for years now, but now that I'm out of wow, it was on the top of my list of games to play.

MasterShake
08-08-2009, 05:21 PM
I have fallout 3, but I was having some trouble getting into it. So far, Mass effect is just the cinematic experience and epic story that I was looking for. I had been looking at it and saying "aaaaaaahhhh, maybe later" for years now, but now that I'm out of wow, it was on the top of my list of games to play.

Plus its a greatest hits game for 19.99. It even comes with a bonus disc with some extra content (including a really neat asteroid mission). I always make slut characters who end up having a lesbian affair with some alien chick named Liara. The one guy I made looks like Sloth from the Goonies and is a jerk. Fun stuff.

MOtorboat
08-08-2009, 05:48 PM
You need to be in Denver on Sept. 20. And you need to contact beefstew immediately. This should fix the funk.

sneakers
08-11-2009, 02:54 AM
I think world of warcraft has burned me out from video gaming. It was a great game, but all the time that I spent sitting around doing nothing between the tuesday, wednesday, and sunday night raids has left me flat. I need something to remind me that I love video games. I really used to love RPG's. I have a few games sitting in front of me right now that I like, but i just can't get into them. Street Fighter IV is a good game, I just dont have anyone to play with, and I can't stand the xbox online community for the most part. Halo 3 was a disappointment. Assassin's Creed isn't nearly as entertaining as it was hyped up to be. I've played through both Gears games as many times as I can bear. They're great, but I want something new. Modern Warfare was fun for a month, but its going stale. I've played through the orange box, and while all of it was entertaining, I'm not going to play through it again. I've played crysis for a few hours, but it was WAY overhyped for its graphics, and doesnt have enough content to keep me driven.

Now... I REALLY can't wait for Dragon Age: Origins to come out. It looks AWESOME! I need something with a great story for 360 or the PC. You all know what I mean.... Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Breath of Fire III, Vagrant Story. I need something on the PC or the 360 that's really going to suck me in and not let me go. Doesn't HAVE to be an RPG, I just need something with an awesome story. I can't get enough entertainment reading training camp news and notes every single day! :lol: Thanks for any and all help.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion......or just Oblivion for short.

Easily the best game ever made. (Make sure you get the "Game of the Year edition (it has all the extras built in))

Best RPG ever, it will literally take you 6-12 months to go from start to finish in the game

MasterShake
08-11-2009, 09:47 AM

Easily the best game ever made. (Make sure you get the "Game of the Year edition (it has all the extras built in))

Best RPG ever, it will literally take you 6-12 months to go from start to finish in the game

Well, you can finish the main quest in about 6 hours. Becoming head of all the guilds, maxing out your character, and doing all the side quests is easily 100+ hours.

Thnikkaman
08-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Zweems, you play Orange Box on the PC or Xbox? If pc, you need to jump on some TF2. If Xbox, I'm sorry you wasted your money. For FPS's, I strongly suggest you play some of the classics. Play through the original HL or play HL2. Get a copy of System Shock 2 if you can find it somewhere.

As far as RPGs go I've got nothing right now since I'm a little burnt out on the genre.

Zweems56
08-11-2009, 12:44 PM

Tried it. Combat got WAY too repetitive for me

Zweems56
08-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Zweems, you play Orange Box on the PC or Xbox? If pc, you need to jump on some TF2. If Xbox, I'm sorry you wasted your money. For FPS's, I strongly suggest you play some of the classics. Play through the original HL or play HL2. Get a copy of System Shock 2 if you can find it somewhere.

As far as RPGs go I've got nothing right now since I'm a little burnt out on the genre.

PC and yes. Done with HL2, havent gotten into the episodes yet. HL2 was a wonderful game, but i'm not really digging the FPS unless i'm killing real competition at the moment :fight:

Shazam!
08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion......or just Oblivion for short. Easily the best game ever made.

That's an opinion.

sneakers
08-11-2009, 11:58 PM
That's an opinion.

and a very good one.

:proud:

Shazam!
08-12-2009, 08:29 PM
I think FFVII is the best RPG ever.

That's an opinion too, and a very good one.

drewloc
08-12-2009, 09:02 PM

I actually started this the other day once I was finished with Lost Odyssey. Such a ground breaking game. It never gets old. :beer:

sneakers
08-12-2009, 11:25 PM

I liked XII, it was really good.

Shazam!
08-13-2009, 12:12 AM
I actually started this the other day once I was finished with Lost Odyssey. Such a ground breaking game. It never gets old. :beer:

Right on. I still have my original purchases of FFVII and IX, IMO the two best FFs. One day I'll play them again. It's been almost 10 years.

I felt FFXII was like a major KOTOR ripoff and played like an offline MMORPG.

Zweems56
08-16-2009, 01:55 AM
Just finished up Mass Effect. It was very well done. Especially loved how cinematic the experience was. I'm tempted to play through along another path with a different class, but I think I should move on to The Witcher instead.

MasterShake
08-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Just finished up Mass Effect. It was very well done. Especially loved how cinematic the experience was. I'm tempted to play through along another path with a different class, but I think I should move on to The Witcher instead.

The second playthrough is fun if you didn't hit up all the planets, asteroids, and derelict ships the first time through. You get some good weapons and armor, as well as a more rounded out story.