PDA

View Full Version : "The Slide" in all it's glory

sneakers
09-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Thank you to a cracked version of Camtasia Studio and my personal computer and most of all Eric Decker for making this gif possible:

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/308527/decker-slide.gif

BroncoWave
09-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Definitely looks to me like with the block Stokley threw Decker could have gotten at least another 5-10 yards. That was truly pathetic on his part.

smith49
09-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Definitely looks to me like with the block Stokley threw Decker could have gotten at least another 5-10 yards. That was truly pathetic on his part.

Stokely turned around and was like "wtf bro?, I'm totally owning this block and you don't even try to use it?"

It did look like if he kept going to his left he coulda maybe sprung that into a huge play. I bet he sees the film and decides not to do that again.

Dzone
09-24-2012, 10:05 PM
I hate seeing that. It looks like had he used Stokelys block and broke to the left, he could have had a big gain. Of course we will never know because he laid down on the field to avoid getting hit. I havent seen any pressers with Decker since then, but I hope he gets eviscerated by the media for that utterly sissified act. Despicable.He needs to return some of his paycheck for that. Decker you suck

bcbronc
09-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Hopefully the league doesn't see this, they might start making it mandatory for a ball carrier to slide if a tackler is within 5 yards...player safety and all.

shank
09-24-2012, 10:12 PM
- not pictured: rod smith taking off his belt.

FanInAZ
09-24-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure if he was touched when he was down and then tossed the ball away. If so, and the game was being officiated by competent refs with a good vantage point, then that's a fumble that the Texans most likely would have recovered. I'd defiantly like to see a full screen version that lasts a couple of seconds longer in order to confirm or disprove this possibility.

BroncoWave
09-24-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure if he was touched when he was down and then tossed the ball away. If so, and the game was being officiated by competent refs with a good vantage point, then that's a fumble that the Texans most likely would have recovered. I'd defiantly like to see a full screen version that lasts a couple of seconds longer in order to confirm or disprove this possibility.

When you slide the play ends. You don't have to be touched.

FanInAZ
09-24-2012, 10:36 PM
When you slide the play ends. You don't have to be touched.

I was to understand that was only for QBs and that it had to be feet 1st. His slide started head 1st, and then he swung his legs around after he was already on the ground. Therefore, based on my understanding of the rule, this slide is outside the scope of this rule because it started as a head 1st slide.

I Eat Staples
09-24-2012, 10:38 PM
I have to imagine he had a brain lapse and thought it was the last 40 seconds of the half or the game. Even if I'm wrong, that's the story he should stick with lol.

chazoe60
09-24-2012, 10:39 PM
What makes him even more of a ***** is the fact that a defender isn't allowed to hit him anyway, so why slide.

tomjonesrocks
09-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Probably already posted but on Twitter:

"Caldwell on reax in film room after Decker slide: "It got real quiet in there. Coach said a few things I can't repeat."

BroncoWave
09-24-2012, 10:40 PM
I was to understand that was only for QBs and that it had to be feet 1st. His slide started head 1st, and then he swung his legs around after he was already on the ground. Therefore, based on my understanding of the rule, this slide is outside the scope of this rule because it started as a head 1st slide.

I would imagine it's for all players. If you give your body up like that it's a huge safety risk to allow defenders free shots at that player.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-24-2012, 10:59 PM
I would imagine it's for all players. If you give your body up like that it's a huge safety risk to allow defenders free shots at that player.

The problem is (other than Decker looking completely un-manly) that Decker didn't allow himself to be touched down. He stood back up and started walking. Had the Texans knocked the ball out or Decker set it down, it could've been ruled a fumble.

BroncoWave
09-24-2012, 11:01 PM
The problem is (other than Decker looking completely un-manly) that Decker didn't allow himself to be touched down. He stood back up and started walking. Had the Texans knocked the ball out or Decker set it down, it could've been ruled a fumble.

If I understand the rule correctly you don't have to be touched down when you slide. The play just ends.

bcbronc
09-24-2012, 11:58 PM

"Caldwell on reax in film room after Decker slide: "It got real quiet in there. Coach said a few things I can't repeat."

Decker better truck some foo to convert a 3rd down vs OAK or I vote he hands in his man card.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-25-2012, 12:04 AM
If I understand the rule correctly you don't have to be touched down when you slide. The play just ends.

You're going to leave that up to the replacement refs? So they can blow that call, too? It never should've happened, you play to the whistle. I think the QB hook slide is f'n gay and they should ban it. If they're going to go overboard protecting them in the pocket, then make them play like real men when they do decide to run. aaron Rodgers' queer-assed pistol shooter tonight after his scramble sealed it for me. He had that, yeah I can run but you can't hit me smug smirk. It's a rule for chicks and homos. Believe it or not, QBs are football players, too.

bcbronc
09-25-2012, 12:18 AM
You're going to leave that up to the replacement refs? So they can blow that call, too? It never should've happened, you play to the whistle. I think the QB hook slide is f'n gay and they should ban it. If they're going to go overboard protecting them in the pocket, then make them play like real men when they do decide to run. aaron Rodgers' queer-assed pistol shooter tonight after his scramble sealed it for me. He had that, yeah I can run but you can't hit me smug smirk. It's a rule for chicks and homos. Believe it or not, QBs are football players, too.

The Decker slide was full *****, but Qbs sliding is something different all together. They're too important to the game. I'd rather watch Brady vs Rodgers than their back-ups.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-25-2012, 12:26 AM
The Decker slide was full *****, but Qbs sliding is something different all together. They're too important to the game. I'd rather watch Brady vs Rodgers than their back-ups.

Not me, they give the QBs ever benefit of the doubt in the pocket. If they choose to tuck it and run, they should be treated like every other player. Now, do I think defenses should just plow them and pile on if they slide? No. That should draw an unnecessary roughness call, but they should have to be touched down and a player giving them a little love tap at the end might keep their dumb asses in the pocket where they belong.

shank
09-25-2012, 12:46 AM

i don't want to watch backups either, but to coddle them with a rule and a special slide is ghey. there are ways for qbs to protect themself without leaning on a 'nanananabooboo' rule. i wouldn't blame a qb for not going head first at contact, but don't think they should have a rule that turns their jersey red either.

ShaneFalco
09-25-2012, 02:59 AM
the only WR that deserves to slide ever is Randy Moss

Dirk
09-25-2012, 06:33 AM

From the NFL Rule book:

when a runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the ground. The ball is dead the instant
the runner touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet;
Note: Defenders are required to treat a sliding runner as they would a runner who is down by contact.

FanInAZ
09-25-2012, 06:41 AM
From the NFL Rule book:

when a runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the ground. The ball is dead the instant
Note: Defenders are required to treat a sliding runner as they would a runner who is down by contact.

So if the runner dives head 1st, such as in this case, then he's not automatically down. I’ll concede that I was wrong when I said that this rule only applies to QBs, but I was right that if Decker wasn’t touched down, then the ball should’ve still been live when he dropped.

Dirk
09-25-2012, 06:49 AM
So if the runner dives head 1st, such as in this case, then he's not automatically down. I’ll concede that I was wrong when I said that this rule only applies to QBs, but I was right that if Decker wasn’t touched down, then the ball should’ve still been live when he dropped.

Decker's slide looks like he was going for the feet first slide. He didn't get his hips turned fast and his feet out as a QB would but he did not slide head first.

Northman
09-25-2012, 06:57 AM

Good.

Totally moronic moment for Decker. Have no ******* clue what he was thinking.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-25-2012, 08:16 AM
From the NFL Rule book:

I understand the rule, Dirk. My worry is that the replacement officials may not. Decker "gave himself up" by sliding but they officials didn't blow the whistle to end the play until after he had stood back up and started walking back to the huddle and the Houston player tried to come up and punch the ball out. Do they understand the rule? They are used to calling a play dead as soon as a ball carrier goes down, with or without contact (NCAA rule). Most of us have realized to this point that we know the NFL rules as well, or better, than the replacement officials. That was my point. Once again, the replacement refs looked confused and disorganized out there.

Dirk
09-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Oh without a doubt the replacement refs act clueless at times.

catfish
09-25-2012, 08:40 AM
I understand the rule, Dirk. My worry is that the replacement officials may not. Decker "gave himself up" by sliding but they officials didn't blow the whistle to end the play until after he had stood back up and started walking back to the huddle and the Houston player tried to come up and punch the ball out. Do they understand the rule? They are used to calling a play dead as soon as a ball carrier goes down, with or without contact (NCAA rule). Most of us have realized to this point that we know the NFL rules as well, or better, than the replacement officials. That was my point. Once again, the replacement refs looked confused and disorganized out there.

God it's sad that this is a valid and legitimate point this year

getlynched47
09-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Excuse me, Eric. I believe you dropped your tampon at the 50 yard line.

topscribe
09-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Eric slides and Gronkowski (you know, the FULLBACK!) runs out of bounds. Brings
up images of Jim Taylor of Lombardi's Packers (okay, I'm old) heading for the
sideline, then turning back in at the last moment with the expressed purpose of
initiating contact with the defenders. Where are the football players today?

Buff
09-25-2012, 10:00 AM
I am alarmed by Decker's lack of fortitude. How about him catching that last punt on the effing goal line and then twinkle toeing it up the field? Either let the punt go, or catch it and hit the hole at 100 MPH. His decision was the worst of both worlds.

catfish
09-25-2012, 10:02 AM
the reasons he gave for the slide was he didn't want to get hurt and there was time left in the quarter. I worry about the didn't want to get hurt statement, do you think his head isn't right after getting his knee injured late last year? If he is thinking about injuries he is pretty much done as a receiver

topscribe
09-25-2012, 10:03 AM
the reasons he gave for the slide was he didn't want to get hurt and there was time left in the quarter. I worry about the didn't want to get hurt statement, do you think his head isn't right after getting his knee injured late last year? If he is thinking about injuries he is pretty much done as a receiver
Maybe it's time to see what Caldwell can do?

catfish
09-25-2012, 10:03 AM
I am alarmed by Decker's lack of fortitude. How about him catching that last punt on the effing goal line and then twinkle toeing it up the field? Either let the punt go, or catch it and hit the hole at 100 MPH. His decision was the worst of both worlds.

I can understand the decision to field it, he could break a big one for a TD or set up in good field position, but you are right it has no chance if you don't start out 100 MPH

slim
09-25-2012, 11:27 AM

He is a *****. They need to take 87 away from him and give him 81 (or whatever number Kennison had).

FanInAZ
09-25-2012, 12:34 PM
He is a *****. They need to take 87 away from him and give him 81 (or whatever number Kennison had).

I object, 81 was Steve Watson's number.

bcbronc
09-25-2012, 01:25 PM
All pansies should have to wear #26 imo.

Buff
09-25-2012, 01:26 PM
The more I watch this, the more angry I get. He had at least 5 more yards, minimum.

Has Decker been questioned about this by the media? I want to hear him explain himself.

slim
09-25-2012, 01:28 PM
The more I watch this, the more angry I get. He had at least 5 more yards, minimum.

Has Decker been questioned about this by the media? I want to hear him explain himself.

Hopefully he will take the marbles out of his mouth before he answers.

topscribe
09-25-2012, 01:30 PM
I have been a huge fan of Decker's.

But this put a huge damper on that . . .

catfish
09-25-2012, 01:40 PM

he was questioned, quote:

"With only three receivers, I didn't want to get my legs cut off and have us left with two receivers," Decker said. "There was a baseball instinct in me on the slide. And as I was running, I looked up and there were something like 20 seconds left. It wasn't the biggest thing, but I figured it would be one more play."

Read more: Broncos WR Eric Decker explains why he took slide vs. Texans - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21622540/broncos-wr-eric-decker-explains-why-he-took?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz27VZpfEYq
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

slim
09-25-2012, 01:41 PM
So he was afraid he would get hurt?

Good Lord....

catfish
09-25-2012, 01:43 PM
So he was afraid he would get hurt?

Good Lord....

from twitter

MT @NateKreckman: Caldwell on reax in film room after Decker slide: "It got real quiet in there. Coach said a few things I can't repeat."

Buff
09-25-2012, 01:44 PM
That was about the worst possible explanation admitting that he slid to avoid injury. He may as well have said he was scared of the defenders closing in on him.

catfish
09-25-2012, 01:45 PM
That was about the worst possible explanation admitting that he slid to avoid injury. He may as well have said he was scared of the defenders closing in on him.

agree, hoping the injury last year isn't in his head. He wouldn't be the first guy to have a knee injury that is fully healed, but can't get over the mental hump of worrying about getting hurt again

slim
09-25-2012, 01:45 PM
I was too scared to do my job, sorry about that guys.

I wonder if he will mysteriously fall down on TD's driveway this week?

DenBronx
09-25-2012, 03:42 PM
I have been a huge fan of Decker's.

But this put a huge damper on that . . .

Yeah me too Top. I lost a tremendous amount of respect after that play. I played WR and I can never imagine myself sliding. There was many times I was looking forward to hitting a saftey or cb after the catch. I'm 6 ft and Decker is bigger that me and he totally wussed out.

I Eat Staples
09-25-2012, 04:27 PM
he was questioned, quote:

"With only three receivers, I didn't want to get my legs cut off and have us left with two receivers," Decker said. "There was a baseball instinct in me on the slide. And as I was running, I looked up and there were something like 20 seconds left. It wasn't the biggest thing, but I figured it would be one more play."

Read more: Broncos WR Eric Decker explains why he took slide vs. Texans - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21622540/broncos-wr-eric-decker-explains-why-he-took?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz27VZpfEYq
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Well, my theory was wrong. He's just a *****.

tomjonesrocks
09-25-2012, 08:19 PM

At least it's the truth. He will have a hard time living down the ***** rep now though. He will probably be considered soft forever. How can you come back from being scared of getting hit?

And glad they slammed him in the film room. Fox was VERY diplomatic in the press conference--so nice job there.

If he has any balls he will come out next week and get thrown out of a game if he has to to squash this. I'd rather have dirty than a *****.

Dzone
09-25-2012, 08:24 PM
He slid one time in the end zone, obviously to prevent getting hit

HORSEPOWER 56
09-26-2012, 08:33 AM
This leads me to believe that some of the problems with his drops may be because he's scared of contact. If you look at the majority of his drops, they are when he is being contacted or contact is imminent (Safety bearing down). If he's wide open, he rarely drops the pass (that's DTs problem - wide open and doesn't look it in).

His fellow WRs should take him out to the practice field and make him catch passes from the jugs machine while they pummel him with blocking pads so he gets used to getting hit and catching simultaneously again. The slide was unforgivable. That BS "saving time" excuse was just that, an excuse. The clock doesn't stop when you go down in bounds, jackass! Everyone knows that. You gave up field position to save yourself, just admit it, you got scared and assumed "Armadillo Attack Mode". What a vag...

Dzone
09-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Make Decker wear a skirt against Oakland

Fullback32
09-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Maybe he went to Rockies game and got inspired. He might have been thinking, "With a glove I could catch a ball that comes right to me!"

sneakers
09-26-2012, 02:18 PM
This leads me to believe that some of the problems with his drops may be because he's scared of contact. If you look at the majority of his drops, they are when he is being contacted or contact is imminent (Safety bearing down). If he's wide open, he rarely drops the pass (that's DTs problem - wide open and doesn't look it in).

His fellow WRs should take him out to the practice field and make him catch passes from the jugs machine while they pummel him with blocking pads so he gets used to getting hit and catching simultaneously again. The slide was unforgivable. That BS "saving time" excuse was just that, an excuse. The clock doesn't stop when you go down in bounds, jackass! Everyone knows that. You gave up field position to save yourself, just admit it, you got scared and assumed "Armadillo Attack Mode". What a vag...

well he should realize he will get hit weather he catches the ball or not....

also, you said jugs

sneakers
10-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Now I am going to have to make a gif for "the trip"

DenBronx
10-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Haha "The Slide Part II"

Leave Deck alone though....he carried like 4 guys into the endzone to make up for it.