PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Defense By the Numbers

Cugel
09-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Here's the #1 culprit of why the Broncos started the season 1-2 IMO. Yes the offense has been less than stellar, what with giving up 4 turnovers against the Falcons, and dropping lots of balls against the Texans.

But, despite all the problems they are averaging 258 yards passing per game, 15th in the league and are 12th in scoring at 25.7 ppg. Slightly above average on both counts.

But, defense is a different story. Here are the grim statistics:

Points allowed/gm: 21st 25.7 (106 total)
Passing Yards allowed/gm: 15th (233.7)
Passing TDs allowed: 28th (9)
20+ yard plays: 11th (9)
40+ yard plays: 28th (3)
Opponents Completion %: 10th 59.4%
Opponents passer rating allowed: 23rd 98.5
Opponents 1st down %: 27th (40.6% success)

As for positive statistics:

Sacks: tied for 9th (7)
Ints: tied for 15th (2)
Rushing yards allowed: 13th (77 yards) (Nobody is rushing the ball much any more. Tampa is only giving up 13.6 ypg rushing, which is a lot better than the 2000 Ravens defense, and yet it doesn't matter. They are still 1-2 because they are giving up 442 ypg passing.)

Everyone in the secondary had a bad game! Porter was beat like a gong for two long TDs, but he certainly wasn't the only culprit. Mike Adams was caught looking into the backfield and failed to cover on one. He also gave up some big completions. Nickel back Chris Harris gave up a big first down. Champ Bailey had a key holding penalty on 3rd down to give them a fresh set of downs and was the defender beaten on their last 3rd down when they get a first down to run out the clock.

Rahim Moore was invisible. None of them played at all well.

The LBs weren't any better. Von Miller is going to be fined about $20,000 for that takedown of Schaub and Joe Mays is very probably going to be suspended for 1 or 2 games PLUS a big fine for his helmet-to-jaw blow the play after that.

As for the DL, aside from Dumervil's 1st play safety, they failed to get consistent pressure on Schaub all day. He was able to step up and make throw after throw.

Accordingly, once again the defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down, a story that has been going on all season long, a stat that is reflected in their allowing opponents 40% first downs (27th in the league at that).

You can blame Peyton Manning for not playing great, or the WRs for dropping the ball all too often (you'd be right). But, unless you think this team can win every game in a shoot-out 34-31, then the defense is going to have to stop somebody once in a while.

They did get the safety and the forced fumble which ignited the last ditch Denver recovery effort. But, too little, too late.

If this team only goes as far as their defense will permit, then they aren't going anywhere until and unless the defense starts playing a LOT better, especially against the pass. The run defense has been generally OK, but in today's NFL that hardly matters. Teams are throwing the ball more than ever before in league history. You'd better have a sound pass-defense that can get more than a couple 3rd down stops per game.

I've had that same sinking feeling the last couple of games I used to get years ago when Denver had them in 3rd and long and yet you just KNEW that the defense was GOING To give up a big first down pass. It was just inevitable. They couldn't get pressure on the passer, and they couldn't cover anybody downfield. I'd sit there going "1-one-thousand, 2-one-thousand, 3-one-thousand, 4-one-thousand, throws. First down! Of course." :rolleyes:

weazel
09-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Manning has to do a better job defending the pass. He also has to be able to tackle better, way too many arm tackles.

slim
09-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Yeah, it's tough to win without a top 10 defense.

I can't see winning many games with this defense.

Cugel
09-24-2012, 04:56 PM
I think Manning and the offense will get better as the season wears on. By December, perhaps Peyton and his WRs will be on the same page and will be where he is throwing the ball and Thomas and Decker will hold onto it.

If they are firing on all cylinders, they CAN just flat outscore other teams in a shootout and win games 34-31 or 38-34 or something.

That was what Manning did consistently in Indy for years. But they could never advance in the playoffs except in those years when they started playing really good defense down the stretch and into the playoffs. Remember, the teams they will be facing in the playoffs won't be the Cleveland Browns or the Titans (worst pass defense in the league).

NO, it will be the Patriots or Ravens, the Texans and the Steelers. And every one of those teams will play tough defense and have a great offense as well. You can't beat those kind of teams in the playoffs by just out-scoring them! Even WITH Peyton Manning at 100% Indy couldn't do that.

Northman
09-24-2012, 04:57 PM
You can blame Peyton Manning for not playing great, or the WRs for dropping the ball all too often (you'd be right). But, unless you think this team can win every game in a shoot-out 34-31, then the defense is going to have to stop somebody once in a while.

Yep. The defense will definitely have to play better, especially on 3rd downs. But the offense is going to have to go on their scoring run before the 4th quarter.

In our championship years the defense was good, but the offense was the catalyst and would score TD's on their first 3-4 posessions (not unlike the Texans yesterday) and force teams to become one dimensional (which they did to us). Defense needs to improve, but so does the offense and like drastically. We already knew the defense had its own issues but "supposedly" getting a better QB who can (or should) score at will on opposing defenses was supposed to alleviate some of that instead of the other way around.

The 25 points is DRASTICALLY skewed in your analysis there.

jhildebrand
09-24-2012, 05:04 PM
The offense's numbers are boosted by the opposing D changing schemes.

The D's numbers are skewed because the O can't stay on the field, when they do they settle for FG's. The D gave the O a safety, an INT, and Fumble recovery. The O has to take advantage.

The D can't hold the opposing D to 19 points per game if they are on the field too much!

3 1st Q points in 3 games has nothing to do with the D. Every team has deferred and Manning and company hasn't done anything with that.

slim
09-24-2012, 05:07 PM
We already knew the defense had its own issues but "supposedly" getting a better QB who can (or should) score at will on opposing defenses was supposed to alleviate some of that instead of the other way around.

Wait, I thought we were giving the defense the credit for all 9 wins last year? Are you saying that maybe they weren't the sole reason for our division championship?

Cugel
09-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Yep. The defense will definitely have to play better, especially on 3rd downs. But the offense is going to have to go on their scoring run before the 4th quarter.

In our championship years the defense was good, but the offense was the catalyst and would score TD's on their first 3-4 posessions (not unlike the Texans yesterday) and force teams to become one dimensional (which they did to us). Defense needs to improve, but so does the offense and like drastically. We already knew the defense had its own issues but "supposedly" getting a better QB who can (or should) score at will on opposing defenses was supposed to alleviate some of that instead of the other way around.

The 25 points is DRASTICALLY skewed in your analysis there.

The offense isn't that bad. Denver has played the #4 (Texans), #5 (Steelers) and #8 (Falcons) passing defenses in the league. The Texans and Falcons are also the #4 and #5 scoring defenses as well, averaging 14 and 16 ppg respectively. Denver put up 21 and 26 points on these teams, the most they have surrendered yet this year.

True, there were LOTS of blown opportunities to score, and the turnovers against the Falcons would doom any team. No covering up those atrocities.

But, it was the defense that let them down more than the offense and the numbers bear that out.

Peyton Manning will get more and more in sync with his receivers as time goes along. It's unrealistic to expect the finely honed Colts machine which they spent 8 years grooming, with WRs like Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne.

We don't have anybody like those two guys. It's going to take a real team effort. I think it will come.

But, defensively, they'd better start playing sound defense especially on 3rd down or the Raiders will come to town and beat them. And then they'll go on the road to the Patriots and Chargers and could easily be 1-5 at the break. And their season would be done before they even got rolling.

I could see that easily happening the way they are playing right now.

Northman
09-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Wait, I thought we were giving the defense the credit for all 9 wins last year? Are you saying that maybe they weren't the sole reason for our division championship?

Do i have too? Dont force my hand here Slim, its busy doing other things.

jhildebrand
09-24-2012, 05:24 PM
What was the offense's production BEFORE these became 3 score games? :confused:

Remind me again what broke open the Pittsburgh game. Last I recall Ben had the ball and 4 minutes left on the clock in what was a close game. It was the T Porter INT return for a TD that iced our one victory.

Denver's two losses the TOP was 32 to 28 favoring the Texans and 33 to 27 favoring ATL.

If you recall the Pittsburgh game, the D was on the field for all but 40 some seconds of the 3rd quarter!

GEM
09-24-2012, 05:30 PM
The Mays hit was helmet to ear. :shocked: He lost part of it.

The secondary woes were brought on by the utter non existent play of the LB's. Rahim Moore...yea he isn't great but he is in on every play because he is covering the LB's who aren't doing a damn thing besides suiting up every game. Non-existent.

shank
09-25-2012, 01:50 AM
i'm worried about the big plays and being able to get off the field on 3rd down. they have been put in some tough spots (mainly against ATL) and it could look a lot worse than it does. you can say our offense looks rough because we've played 3 good defenses - the same can be said about the defense playing 3 good offenses.

eliminate blown coverages and get stronger on 3rd down and we're sitting pretty.

arapaho2
09-25-2012, 04:49 PM
well we seen this unfold last year....offense cant score...then late in games get going...but one of the games best passers ever was supposed to fix this...even manning in a new offense at 85% was supposed to be heads and tails above tebow

yet our offense has scored 3 points in the first qrt ...and 45 in the 4th so far in three games

our defense was supposed to be based upon our manning led offense getting a quick lead and scoreing alot of points so our pass rush could tee off

what ever the culprit is...aside from the four turnovers in atlanta...we need to get going earlier

Tebowtime2011
09-26-2012, 01:19 AM
I really want quinton carter at safety. give him a chance see how he looks out there.

bcbronc
09-26-2012, 02:01 AM
The defense does seem to have a weakspot over the middle on 3rd and longs. Not sure if it's play calling or execution but obviously our 3rd downs need to improve.

There are positives though, most mentioned already. Tough schedule, too many 3 and outs and/or turnovers by the offense, losing the time of possession battle, etc are legitimate influences on a defense's performance. Not excuses, but they do make things tougher. They have improved against the run from last year, and being middle of the pack statistically is light years from where we were not too long ago. There's no reason to think this defense won't improve as the season wears on.

Biggest thing is they have to stop giving up big plays for 1st downs/TDs, especially on what often looks like blown coverages. New DC so maybe some of the calls are still being missed, but they shouldn't be at this point.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-26-2012, 08:01 AM
I'll say it one more time for those who may have missed it in other threads. It's all about chemistry. We have our 7th DC in 7 years combined with a new starting QB who didn't play last year combined with installing a new offense over the read-option we ran last year. We still beat the Steelers. Then we had to play 2 of the best teams in the league, both of whom's core players have been playing together for over a year. The Falcons and Texans are in mid-season form already, as evidenced by how easily they've beaten everyone except us that they've faced.

Both sides of the ball will improve. The performances by our team the last two weeks would've been enough to beat an average team. We're 1-2. Aaron Rodgers is 1-2, Tom Brady is 1-2, Drew Brees is 0-3. We're in pretty good company. We have a very senior and experienced staff and a HOF QB and CB. They will have this ship righted by the bye week. If we can go into the bye week .500 or better, we're going to win this division.

broncofaninfla
09-26-2012, 11:22 AM
As a whole I think our defense is improved over last year BUT our LB's are weak and the safetys haven't been much better.

I can't say I'm in love with a 1-2 start but do feel we are a better team than last year and headed in the right direction. We lost to two very good teams and were in both of those games. Houston in fact is currently the best team in teh NFL in my opinion.

BroncoWave
09-26-2012, 11:46 AM
To be fair, our D did completely keep us in the Atlanta game. They stunk against Houston and on 3rd down against Pitt, but I still think it's a better unit than in previous years.

Softskull
09-26-2012, 11:49 AM
We've played some exceptional offenses (and Defs) so far this year. I also think that the D was being set up for us having the early lead and using a more aggressive front seven. This will get better.

Ravage!!!
09-26-2012, 11:51 AM
We still played 2 teams that are, as of 3 weeks into the season, looking to be two of the top teams within their conference, and have been in the game at the end. Once we pulled Porter out of the game and stopped allowing the Texans to play Madden "deep ball" against him.... our defense did pretty damned good.

I hate going 1-2, but lets be honest, looking at the first 6 games of this year when going INTO the year, we knew it was going to be touch. Nothing has changed in that. Our defense is solid, and I've been very impressed with how well they've kept us in the game despite getting off to some bad starts offensively OR defensively.

We'll get better. We've faced Rothlesburger, Matt Ryan, and Shaub. Tough start for any team.

BroncoWave
09-26-2012, 11:53 AM
We still played 2 teams that are, as of 3 weeks into the season, looking to be two of the top teams within their conference, and have been in the game at the end. Once we pulled Porter out of the game and stopped allowing the Texans to play Madden "deep ball" against him.... our defense did pretty damned good.

I hate going 1-2, but lets be honest, looking at the first 6 games of this year when going INTO the year, we knew it was going to be touch. Nothing has changed in that. Our defense is solid, and I've been very impressed with how well they've kept us in the game despite getting off to some bad starts offensively OR defensively.

We'll get better. We've faced Rothlesburger, Matt Ryan, and Shaub. Tough start for any team.

And still have Brady, Rivers, and Brees on the immediate horizon. Pretty brutal stretch for our defense. If we can survive the first 6 weeks at 3-3 somehow I will feel very positive about the rest of the season.

BroncoWave
09-26-2012, 11:54 AM
We've played some exceptional offenses (and Defs) so far this year. I also think that the D was being set up for us having the early lead and using a more aggressive front seven. This will get better.

This I agree with. When we finally got the lead against Pitt we could finally pin our ears back and sacked Big Ben 3 times in a row. I expect to see more of that if we can start jumping out to leads against people.

Ravage!!!
09-26-2012, 11:57 AM
And still have Brady, Rivers, and Brees on the immediate horizon. Pretty brutal stretch for our defense. If we can survive the first 6 weeks at 3-3 somehow I will feel very positive about the rest of the season.

I feel pretty good with how we've played against all three teams. Bad starts...but still in the game. ONe bad start offensively, one bad start defensively, but ended both games being good on both sides of the ball.

Considering who we've played, and how close we've lost the games, doesn't make me feel down about our season so far.

BroncoWave
09-26-2012, 12:01 PM
I feel pretty good with how we've played against all three teams. Bad starts...but still in the game. ONe bad start offensively, one bad start defensively, but ended both games being good on both sides of the ball.

Considering who we've played, and how close we've lost the games, doesn't make me feel down about our season so far.

Oh I agree, but we could still play good football and conceivably be 2-4, which is certainly possible to recover from, but still difficult. Although if we take care of business when we should (sweep OAK and KC, split with SD, beat CLE and CIN, and take 2/3 fro NO, CAR, and TB), that puts us at 10 wins which should get us into the playoffs.

Chef Zambini
09-26-2012, 12:06 PM
And still have Brady, Rivers, and Brees on the immediate horizon. Pretty brutal stretch for our defense. If we can survive the first 6 weeks at 3-3 somehow I will feel very positive about the rest of the season.based on their teams poerformances those 3 do not sound quite so ominous !
Lets just kick some raider ass and go from there!
stop mcfadden, move our own chains !

Chef Zambini
09-26-2012, 12:09 PM
I anticipated a 10 win season...
the raiders represented 2 of those 10 !
I expect a record of 5-1 or better in our division !
lets go broncos !

Chef Zambini
09-26-2012, 12:10 PM

can I get your kool-aid recipe?
I am eager to drink !

HORSEPOWER 56
09-26-2012, 12:18 PM
can I get your kool-aid recipe?
I am eager to drink !

Here's mine for you, Zam:

One part Orange Kool Aid
One part Water
2 parts chill pill for Zam

Mix thoroughly and then drown yourself in it... You're overreacting.

vandammage13
09-26-2012, 01:28 PM
The Mays hit was helmet to ear. :shocked: He lost part of it.

The secondary woes were brought on by the utter non existent play of the LB's. Rahim Moore...yea he isn't great but he is in on every play because he is covering the LB's who aren't doing a damn thing besides suiting up every game. Non-existent.

Too busy looking at your AVA...didn't read a word you said :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :wowsers:

Let me quote it real quick so I can read it without the distraction.

Superchop 7
09-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Rahim Moore did not do his job on two TDs .....he bit on play action. It was the exact same play.....different receivers. Not good. As they say in NE......do your job. He needs to start sitting.

GEM
09-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Rahim Moore did not do his job on two TDs .....he bit on play action. It was the exact same play.....different receivers. Not good. As they say in NE......do your job. He needs to start sitting.

The unfortunate part is that the opponent knows he is a weak spot so they are picking on him, what doesn't help is that he is covering for lb's who are not doing their job so as bad as he looks, he looks 10 times worse because of the lb shit.

Simple Jaded
09-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Mike Adams is the S that bit on playaction.......

bcbronc
09-26-2012, 03:04 PM
yeah, we need some confirmation which safety had deep thirds. Someone tweet Elway.

Simple Jaded
09-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Simms said Adams had deep 3rds, he could be wrong. He does that a lot.

Looked to me that Moore had the TE crossing the field.......

GEM
09-26-2012, 03:25 PM

Same issue we've always had....we can't cover good TE's.

bcbronc
09-26-2012, 03:26 PM

looked like it to me too, at least on the first one. But it's possible the safeties were supposed to switch if the TE crossed the field, meaning Moore should have been working underneath the deep post. The only thing that was clear (on the first one) was Porter was expecting inside help from someone. One thing that really pissed me off on that play was Porter didn't even try to make the tackle, but stopped running and started looking around for someone to blame.

Not trying to hate on Porter, but I wasn't happy with his actions after the catch on either of the long TDs.

Chef Zambini
09-26-2012, 03:27 PM
The unfortunate part is that the opponent knows he is a weak spot so they are picking on him, what doesn't help is that he is covering for lb's who are not doing their job so as bad as he looks, he looks 10 times worse because of the lb shit.havin problems with our MLBs and safeties?
gosh never saw that coming.

Slick
09-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Joe Mays sucks.

Simple Jaded
09-26-2012, 04:09 PM
looked like it to me too, at least on the first one. But it's possible the safeties were supposed to switch if the TE crossed the field, meaning Moore should have been working underneath the deep post. The only thing that was clear (on the first one) was Porter was expecting inside help from someone. One thing that really pissed me off on that play was Porter didn't even try to make the tackle, but stopped running and started looking around for someone to blame.

Not trying to hate on Porter, but I wasn't happy with his actions after the catch on either of the long TDs.

It's entirely possible that Moore shoulda had Johnson and Adams should had the TE, if that's the case then both S's were way outta position.

One of my pet peeves in football is when players look around with their arms out looking for the flag, the Broncos have been doing a lot of that lately. Porter's actions were the same kinda thing.......

Ravage!!!
09-26-2012, 04:12 PM

wait.. wut??

NE says this? Wow... whoda thunk that the Patriots invented such an easy concept. If I were to have guessed, I would have guessed that this expression had been around a LOT longer than the Patriots being relevant.

Simple Jaded
09-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Same issue we've always had....we can't cover good TE's.

I think a lot of teams have that problem, Adams and Moore are an upgrade over a year ago. Especially Adams. I know it's not a popular sentiment but I think Moore is coming along, imo it's gonna take some time with him cause I don't think he's the sharpest peanut in the turd.......