PDA

View Full Version : A reflection after watching Broncos practice

Hawgdriver
08-07-2009, 10:21 AM
I watched the Broncos practice yesterday, and now a lot of things seem to be coming together. I think McDaniels is a great coach. Orton is no Cutler, nor is he an Orton. I am optimistic that the Broncos will become a strong franchise in coming years.

The most important thought that has clicked into place is the McDaniels factor. I like what he brings. I think it is appropriate to call it a system. But we haven’t spent much time ever discussing what is so good about a ‘system’. I think that’s a mistake because my impression is that Josh worships at the altar of the Great System.

This morning one of our secretaries was upset about her day. She was pissed off about Office Depot and some other office product suppliers. She complained that their systems were all causing her problems. She couldn’t get the stuff she needed to resupply the office. She was frustrated. I suggested she fire-bomb them, which lifted the mood. We all know the consequences of crappy systems…systems take on a life of their own, and kind of become the ‘it’ of whatever ‘it’ is. Do you like newegg.com or amazon.com or google.com? Systems. Frameworks of parts and pieces that provide a reliable function time and again.

McDaniels interviews reveal that he has a linguistic habit of forming all his thoughts into this framework of ‘systemhood’. He will say that Royal has ‘accepted his role’ as an ultimate form of compliment. That is because the system depends on a set of roles that can perform certain functions. When discussing his approach to the draft, he comes across as if he has a clear idea of the discrete characteristics of the form of a player that will fill the role he has in mind. Every time you hear McDaniels speak, he sounds as the prophet of the System.

I like that. I see it as an ultimate discipline. I think in any endeavor it requires many things to achieve great and lasting success—but mainly discipline. For that reason I am stoked to have Josh as a coach. I don’t know how well the system will actually work, but his mastery of the concept itself of a system is to me a sign of a clever man.

That’s the good news. The other news is that the scars of Cutlergate aren’t healing as quickly as hoped. I do not think McDaniels would have the long-term success he envisions with Cutler. That is because Jay’s talents have led him (Cutler) to view his playing style as above any system. Jay’s system is “avoid, observe, execute.” He relies not on a formula for success, but interaction of his abilities with any given flux of events. He is master of his football awareness, reaction time, and delivery. He is the system. For this reason, plus the obvious ego issues, I think it may have been worse to have both McDaniels and Cutler on the same team. Perhaps it will be best for both individuals in the long run that this happened immediately. Both seem capable of championships to me.

But without Cutler we ought to be prepared for quarterback play several deciles below our expectations. I hoped Orton would be proximate to Cutler, based on the comments some have made about his arm. It’s been said that his arm was strong. Many have defended his ability, and I was led to believe he would be a solid option at quarterback. After this practice, my impression has changed. Not only is Orton not Cutler, he isn’t even Orton. I recall shaking my head in dismay several times during the practice after Orton’s throws. Simms was no improvement.

Everyone can have a bad practice or they can be off, but that doesn’t mean you should assume it was just a bad practice. The best we can hope for is that Orton is safe.

So overall I’m cautious about this year, but I am excited to see our Broncos improve in years to come. I think this will happen soon. Unfortunately, much of our near term success depends on a shaky QB position.

NightTrainLayne
08-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Nice write-up Hawg.

We all loved Shanny's "system" (at least for offense). It allowed myriad middling running-backs to perform at a high level, and made a great running back an NFL MVP.

Shanny's "system" required an amazing QB.

McDaniels system does the same for QB's and WR's (in design, we'll see if it works in practice) as Shanny's system does for running backs. I believe that this system is a little more holistic than Shanny's was, and requires a LOT of buy-in from virtually every position.

There's a reason that Tom Brady (a guy who hardly played in college) and Matt Cassel (a guy who NEVER played in college) can have success AND look like two completely different QB's (which they are) in the same system.

Josh is confident in it because he's seen it work first-hand.

We used to be confident because we saw Shanny's system for running work for over a decade.

Cassell wasn't an all-star those first couple of games when he got thrown to into the mix. But by season's end he had put together a VERY impressive season. We all question if he's really going to deliver the same production in KC. Why? Because he was surrounded by a great team. That's certainly part of it. But how much of it was also a system? A system that helped all of those team-mates perform in the most synergistic way.

Bowlen made the right choice bringing in someone with a system that allows for different players to fit into the puzzle and have success. That's what he did 14 years ago when he hired Shanny, and that's what he did this time when he hired McDaniels.

rationalfan
08-07-2009, 10:37 AM
That is because Jay’s talents have led him (Cutler) to view his playing style as above any system. Jay’s system is “avoid, observe, execute.” He relies not on a formula for success, but interaction of his abilities with any given flux of events. He is master of his football awareness, reaction time, and delivery. He is the system.

excellent observation, and very poignant. i believe it's true. cutler's football persona was developed at vanderbilt, playing from behind, freelancing when talent deficiencies were exposed, realizing he had to make all the plays to win. this is good for bad teams. bad for good teams that don't risky plays to win games.

excellent post. one of the better ones i've read on this board.